+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Football: 2018 World Cup

Default Football: 2018 World Cup

It begins this Thursday with the Russians against the Arabs.

Honestly, I'm bummed that the Dutch and the Italians aren't there. But whatever, let's just hope it's gonna be entertaining. Portugal/Spain this Friday should be fun.

Default Re: Football: 2018 World Cup

Am also asking looking forward to Portugal Vs Spain.

This time I will be supporting Brazil
    "There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived."

Group F looks like the race for second place will be a bloodsport.

Supporting my country since I get to! Go Colombia, even if supporting you feels like being the Ralph of the bus

Like that I don't shut up about games? Here's my game design blog
    Twitch Channel: twitch.tv/Nephy4

Looks like the us never made it in th le cup so go England or Japan
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuFan22 View Post
    Looks like the us never made it in th le cup so go England or Japan
    I noticed something odd during the France-US match of last saturday

"The US go ahead with the first ever goal scored against France"

I don't understand why the 3 most populated countries in the world (China, India, US) don't have a good football team. They get all the medals at the Olympic Games, but they're unable to have a good team for the most popular sport in the world.

Though it has a lot of fans, soccer still isn't very huge in the US. I personally find it boring.

Spoiler:

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

You probably haven't been watching the UEFA Champions League or the english Premier League, then, because those are two exciting as hell competitions. Most others are indeed quite boring, most of the time. After you start to like it, it will be easier to watch the more "boring" competitions, since they usually rely more on tactics to compensate for the lack of individual quality, which makes for interesting games.

Anyway, go Portugal!! (I bet we will be thrashed by Spain right in the opening match, just like against Germany 4 years ago. The morale will then plummet and we will go out at the group stage, just like in most World Cups. Seriously, Portugal is usually great at the Euros but always manages to fuck up the World Cups, except in 1966 and 2006).
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

You have to enjoy the passes, the work in the defense and all the failed attacks. The fun isn't just about attacking and scoring

I enjoy hockey for those reasons, but probably enjoy it more cause it's faster-paced and has shorter periods (45 straight minutes of play is bleh). But I still had fun with the World Cup 4 years ago and hope it'll be just as fun this year even if the US isn't in it. I'm not rooting for anyone so I'll gobble up anything entertaining.

Spoiler:

Argh wish I was more active in these forums so that I can join in with the discussions. New job side effects.

Spain supporters anyone? I think France is going to nail it this time around.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    “When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

Doesn't matter what happens at the World Cup Nigeria has already won the most important award of all, most stylin team! Hoping they can make it out of the group stage, they have a tough group but if they're fortunate they might be able to sneak in a second place finish.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by xan View Post
    Argh wish I was more active in these forums so that I can join in with the discussions. New job side effects.

Spain supporters anyone? I think France is going to nail it this time around.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Germany, Brazil, Spain and France would be every neutral's dream line-up I reckon. And even looking at it realistically, those four might just make it there. I somehow doubt that France can take it though. They have *an abundance* of talent but at times it just won't click (see Euro 16 final).

Personally I will be rooting for Brazil this time as their new-found defensive solidity (thanks to Tite) combined with the inherent Brazilian attacking flair makes for some highly entertaining football.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Leg View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/1T07r2Yhttps://imgur.com/a/1T07r2YDoesn't matter what happens at the World Cup Nigeria has already won the most important award of all, most stylin team! Hoping they can make it out of the group stage, they have a tough group but if they're fortunate they might be able to sneak in a second place finish.
    It's funny how most of the focus in regards to that team has been on their outfit (which does look swell). If their recent friendlies are anything to go by though, they'll be having a hard time. Unless they pull a Germany (ie. bottle the friendlies leading up to a tournament only to then stroll to the semis).

That World Cup feeling you only get to experience every four years is something special indeed~

Agree. Imagine if WC is every year. It'll never feel the same.And I'm rooting for Argentina, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    It's funny how most of the focus in regards to that team has been on their outfit (which does look swell). If their recent friendlies are anything to go by though, they'll be having a hard time. Unless they pull a Germany (ie. bottle the friendlies leading up to a tournament only to then stroll to the semis).

That World Cup feeling you only get to experience every four years is something special indeed~
    Yeah that's true the recent string of friendlies hasn't been great. I got to see the England Vs Nigeria game live though and whilst Nigeria were dreadful in the first half they dominated in the second half. So I am quietly hopeful they can turn an upset or two at this WC. I'm Rooting for Nigeria, following England and expectant of a France win

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    You probably haven't been watching the UEFA Champions League or the english Premier League, then, because those are two exciting as hell competitions. Most others are indeed quite boring, most of the time. After you start to like it, it will be easier to watch the more "boring" competitions, since they usually rely more on tactics to compensate for the lack of individual quality, which makes for interesting games.

Anyway, go Portugal!! (I bet we will be thrashed by Spain right in the opening match, just like against Germany 4 years ago. The morale will then plummet and we will go out at the group stage, just like in most World Cups. Seriously, Portugal is usually great at the Euros but always manages to fuck up the World Cups, except in 1966 and 2006).
    Those were our old ways.
    Now we'll be accumulating ties until we reach the finals were the most unexpected goal will happen. My bet is that Patrício will will score the winning goal this time around. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Black Leg View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/1T07r2Yhttps://imgur.com/a/1T07r2YDoesn't matter what happens at the World Cup Nigeria has already won the most important award of all, most stylin team! Hoping they can make it out of the group stage, they have a tough group but if they're fortunate they might be able to sneak in a second place finish.
    Those do look dope.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Patrício in a last ditch corner kick, with the 11 players inside the box, heading the ball into the net and giving us our first world cup. Glorious. I'm just imagining Sporting's president go mad (well... even more) if something like that ever happens, lol.
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

That was pretty much what I was picturing. xD
    We haven't had a goallie brave enough to go that far into the field since Baía.

Also, rip sporting.
    It's my new favorite soap opera, it kicked Kanye West of that throne really fast, but it's very sad to watch.

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

Sucks the US isn't in it, but still excited for the World Cup. I think Germany wins it all.

Apparently, americans have to support Mexico--- because there are "lots of Mexicans in the US", "Mexico's national team jersey is the most popular sportswear in the United States" and "since 2010, Mexico played twice more matches in the United States than on its own territory"
    Spoiler:

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

After a lot of thinking, For the moment, I think I'll just support every team who speak French. Which means Belgium, France, Switzerland, Morocco, Tunisia and Senegal.
    I checked, and there is only one problem. Tunisia/Belgium on this saturday. I guess I'll just support a draw then

Spain sacked their coach Lopetegui, because he would leave spanish nationalteam for Madrid after the cup. Two days before very importwnt match vs Portugal. Ouch!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information