+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Thread: JUMP FORCE (2019 Video Game)

Default Re: JUMP FORCE (2019 Video Game)

Picollo/Trunks as the leaders,
    Canonically speaking I don't know of any instance where either of these two were leaders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

You are right. Vegeta was the one who took charge to end Buu. I was thinking when Picolo took over the training of Gotenks, that failed completely.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

No Toriko, Hitman Reborn or Beelzebub! I'm not buying!!

....... okay technically I wasn't gonna buy it anyway I just wanted to vent my frustration

Watching the TFS play, they comment a thing, the fact that they constantly call it the "J-Force", the umbra cubes being "cosmic cubes" in the original, and the whole premise of "a peace keeping force". This is Jump trying to be Marvel.

Also the fact that your avatar is a mary sue.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Just as Light walked around as Middle Management of the base, Soma, the Sket Dan or the Bakuman duo could have been there with their oddly proportioned avatars giving sidequests, or the gauntlet of Sports and Romance series of Jump could have handled some minigames.

If this was a game for celebrating Jump, instead of a game for trying to steal Marvel's thunder.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    The strawhats work because Luffy surrounded himself with capable people, Naruto needed a giant war, and like 10 years to be ready to lead, and Goku... <shudders>.
    and Yugi who unless people agrees to the game he's kind of just a dude playing cards
    What a nice way to put it... lol. Yugi is still half Pharao though...

Since my PC is way to old for this kind of stuff (plus it being expensive as hell) and the last anime/manga fighting game I played was DBZ Budokai 2 more than a decade ago on my PS2: are there games worth playing it which would run with Steam on win 7, phenom II x4 965, radeon r9 270x, 4gb RAM? All this fuzz about JF kind of cheered me up...
    Last edited by Candide; February 16th, 2019 at 10:50 PM.

Man, I would gladly pay 60 dollars for a Jump crossover game with a starting roster of EIGHT if only the game-play was addictive and deep. It matters so much to me. I hope one day that someone figures out a way to take Arena fighters to the next level. I feel like Tenkaichi got the ball rolling, then Ninja Storm took the baton in the right direction by eliminating split-screen, but there's yet to be another good advance in the sub-genre.

I CANT SLEEP NIGHTS WORRYIN ABOUT ARENA FIGHTERS

edit: I forgot Pokken. No split screen and a fusion of arena and 3D was a good idea, and might be the way to go.
    Spoiler:

tangent: one thing I'd like to see in 2D, 3D, and arena, would be the elimination of the life-bar (and energy-bar).
    I believe that not knowing exactly when your fighter was going to give out, would add tension. You'd keep track of how they were doing, simply through observation - wounds, heavy breathing, sweating, etc - and as you fought and used bigger and bigger attacks, your fighter would slowly get weaker and slower.
    The median/Mario/Ryu of your game would have to eat THREE strong attacks before they were defeated. The tank characters, 4 or 5, and the weaker ones, only 2.
    There would be no energy bar as previously stated, so if you used a "ultimate attack" or something like that at the beginning of the fight, it would do full damage, but if you attempted it when you were barely standing, it would be a weakened version that came out especially slowly.
    ending the tangent for now
    Last edited by MrPecans; February 18th, 2019 at 09:31 AM.
    My favorite films of all time - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest; The Apartment; The Shining; Rear Window; Casablanca; All About Eve; Amadeus; Stalag 17; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence; Key Largo; Ball of Fire; Alien; Dr. Strangelove; The Good, The Bad and The Ugly; Vertigo; Jaws; Punch-Drunk Love

Quote Originally Posted by MrPecans View Post
    Man, I would gladly pay 60 dollars for a Jump crossover game with a starting roster of EIGHT if only the game-play was addictive and deep. It matters so much to me. I hope one day that someone figures out a way to take Arena fighters to the next level. I feel like Tenkaichi got the ball rolling, then Ninja Storm took the baton in the right direction by eliminating split-screen, but there's yet to be another good advance in the sub-genre.

I CANT SLEEP NIGHTS WORRYIN ABOUT ARENA FIGHTERS

edit: I forgot Pokken. No split screen and a fusion of arena and 3D was a good idea, and might be the way to go.
    Spoiler:

tangent: one thing I'd like to see in 2D, 3D, and arena, would be the elimination of the life-bar (and energy-bar).
    I believe that not knowing exactly when your fighter was going to give out, would add tension. You'd keep track of how they were doing, simply through observation - wounds, heavy breathing, sweating, etc - and as you fought and used bigger and bigger attacks, your fighter would slowly get weaker and slower.
    The median/Mario/Ryu of your game would have to eat THREE strong attacks before they were defeated. The tank characters, 4 or 5, and the weaker ones, only 2.
    There would be no energy bar as previously stated, so if you used a "ultimate attack" or something like that at the beginning of the fight, it would do full damage, but if you attempted it when you were barely standing, it would be a weakened version that came out especially slowly.
    ending the tangent for now
    I feel exactly the same. Fighting games are among the ones that evolved less during time, and I can see why the mass lost interest in them compared to the old glory days of 2D fighting games (Iori in my nickname stands for Iori Yagami, and related to The King of Fighters I REALLY hoped for One Piece's Orochi not being a goofy character but someone as regal and deceptive as KoF's Orochi).
    I agree even on the importance of Budokai Tenkaichi and Ultimate Ninja Storm as next step in the genre's mechanics (quite interesting it came from shonen games), but now we are anchored to the same pattern again and given the industry's status I don't see things changing in the near future.
    I've played Jump Force's beta and even if I love graphics and like the real world setting, the gameplay feels already old and I feel I would get bored of it fast. I'd be curious to see new studios' approach to this genre, someone who has never worked on a fighting game and has to (or better, CAN) put in it something new and personal. Not being able to see health bar as you suggest is a minor twist, I get the idea of dinamicity and realism you'd like to get with all what you described but I think we need a bigger impact, a total new mechanic.

Making the figthers weaker with how much life they have lost makes comebacks too difficult.

Hidding your win or defeat condition is a game design anti-pattern. Try it by yourself and see how much fun is randomly dying when you don't know every attack damage in the game, and then how it is reduced by partial dodges, parrys, shields or staleness. Or added to the previous weakening mechanic.

It is adding burden of knowledge to a game type that already has a ton of it, and the mechanical part.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also, in a fighting game your focus should be in your opponents animations to get ready to predict your movements, putting info in your own animations would mean that you have to parse what you and your opponents are doing. That's why the health bar gets so little changes once it was set up like this, it is your one other focus besides your opponent on screen, with the super bar either there as well or sparkling or making noise when useable so you can see it without focusing.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Making the figthers weaker with how much life they have lost makes comebacks too difficult.

Hidding your win or defeat condition is a game design anti-pattern. Try it by yourself and see how much fun is randomly dying when you don't know every attack damage in the game, and then how it is reduced by partial dodges, parrys, shields or staleness. Or added to the previous weakening mechanic.

It is adding burden of knowledge to a game type that already has a ton of it, and the mechanical part.
    That's true theorically, but after playing God of War without bars I have to say it revealed to be fun and more exciting in some instances. That could be because I already knew values from first run, but it can work even for fighting games if it works for action, shooters and something else. Especially in VR I prefer not to see health bar and similar, but that's a different environment (and just to add to it, Skyrim does it great showing it only if you look down for it).

Also, in a fighting game your focus should be in your opponents animations to get ready to predict your movements, putting info in your own animations would mean that you have to parse what you and your opponents are doing. That's why the health bar gets so little changes once it was set up like this, it is your one other focus besides your opponent on screen, with the super bar either there as well or sparkling or making noise when useable so you can see it without focusing.
    This was an interesting experiment: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...during-a-match
    It shows that a pro player never looks at bars, he gets those informations from his peripheral view as you say. So bars could be replaced by some other signs, maybe centered on characters to benefit more from their attention. Texture on the char could not be immediate to decipher in a 3D game with lot of things on screen such as Jump Force, but something like auras or shining could work well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information