+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by choperman View Post
    Hey guys do you think they'll ever try and make a league of extraordinary Gentlemen shared universe???

and what other kind of shared universes are there that they could make, obviously there are a bunch of comic book ones they can make but what else is out there...

and R.I.P the Dark Universe
    Isn't LXG already technically a shared universe, since none of the characters in it are directly connected? But depending on the era it takes place in, I don't know how else they'd interact with outsiders unless time travel was involved. You'd think we'd have seen that on Legends of Tomorrow or something by now.

And I'm willing to bet the Dark Universe will make a comeback. Just not sure how long it'll be. They could have tried to make the continuity of the Brendan Fraser Mummy trilogy be the foundation for it, but they waited too long. Also didn't they reboot the Wolfman with Anthony Hopkins and Benicio Del Toro a while ago? Could have used that as the foundation too. They Green Lantern-ed it up, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Isn't LXG already technically a shared universe, since none of the characters in it are directly connected? But depending on the era it takes place in, I don't know how else they'd interact with outsiders unless time travel was involved. You'd think we'd have seen that on Legends of Tomorrow or something by now.
    It's definitely a cross over of a bunch of series, but I feel like there's a difference between a crossover and a shared universe.... the difference (in my opinion), if you just having one movie about the league where the characters join together and fight something that would be a cross over, but if you did something like say have a Nemo movie, a Mr. Hyde movie, Dracula movie, a Sherlock Homes movie etc.and make certain characters, themes and organizations that span all the movies and then have them then all come together in a team up movie by using those shared groups/characters etc. to bring them together that would be a shared universe

I feel like that's a difference, but maybe there the same thing and I'm just cray cray

that's why all shared universes seem to follow a similar format of making some underground organization that watches and studies the brand characters and usually and brings them together

The Avengers had shield monitoring all there super heroes, run by Nick Fury and Colson (the gold standard) Justice League had lex luthor and lex corps studying meta humans, and had batman and wonder woman use the stolen data to form the team, The Monsterverse has the organization Monarch and I assume some of the characters will return to tie them together, and Dark universe has Prodigium and Dr. Jackle/Hyde to bring them together.... until you know it died

so I guess with my incoherent ramblings I'm trying to say is crossovers =/= shared universe
    crossover = all characters assemble and fight big bad or whateves
    Shared Universe = multiple films within the same universe that are tied together by certain themes but remain separate until a movie comes along that brings them together

is that stupid or does it make sense

also League of extraordinary gentlemen could have Mycroft Holmes be the Nick Fury and the British secret service be there SHIELD (or give it a different name to sound cooler)
    And I'm willing to bet the Dark Universe will make a comeback. Just not sure how long it'll be. They could have tried to make the continuity of the Brendan Fraser Mummy trilogy be the foundation for it, but they waited too long. Also didn't they reboot the Wolfman with Anthony Hopkins and Benicio Del Toro a while ago? Could have used that as the foundation too. They Green Lantern-ed it up, though.
    Agreed I def see them bringing it back in a few years, but they'll wait a little while I suspect.... and hopefully get a better team together

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

Discovered Stowaway

It's definitely a cross over of a bunch of series, but I feel like there's a difference between a crossover and a shared universe.... the difference (in my opinion), if you just having one movie about the league where the characters join together and fight something that would be a cross over, but if you did something like say have a Nemo movie, a Mr. Hyde movie, Dracula movie, a Sherlock Homes movie etc.and make certain characters, themes and organizations that span all the movies and then have them then all come together in a team up movie by using those shared groups/characters etc. to bring them together that would be a shared universe

I feel like that's a difference, but maybe there the same thing and I'm just cray cray
    Nah, I hear what you're sayin'. It's like how Once Upon a Time is a crossover but not a shared universe with anything else. Or Avengers Grimm; Now there's a movie that doesn't deserve its own thread, but whose core concept deserves to be a series!

that's why all shared universes seem to follow a similar format of making some underground organization that watches and studies the brand characters and usually and brings them together
    Alien Vs. Predator didn't really seem to have that, come to think of it. At least not very well done, and not til the literal tail end of Requiem. But that was the least of the reasons why those movies sucked.

The Avengers had shield monitoring all there super heroes, run by Nick Fury and Colson (the gold standard) Justice League had lex luthor and lex corps studying meta humans, and had batman and wonder woman use the stolen data to form the team, The Monsterverse has the organization Monarch and I assume some of the characters will return to tie them together, and Dark universe has Prodigium and Dr. Jackle/Hyde to bring them together.... until you know it died
    In the case of the DCEU I'd say it's more Amanda Waller's shadow organization. I'm curious if such a shared universe series could be done well without such a surrogate to bind them all together. I mean, the Marvel Netflix stuff kind of does but there are certain characters who do tie everything together even if they're not united or organized.

so I guess with my incoherent ramblings I'm trying to say is crossovers =/= shared universe
    crossover = all characters assemble and fight big bad or whateves
    Shared Universe = multiple films within the same universe that are tied together by certain themes but remain separate until a movie comes along that brings them together

is that stupid or does it make sense
    I'm smellin' what you're sellin'. Wait til we see a G.I. Joe/Transformers crossover; if there's at least one sequel to it, then it'll be a full-blown shared universe. They'll probably throw in Thundercats and Masters of the Universe for good measure, too. Like an explosion in your toy box, brought to you by some schmuck director whose name is dwarfed by seeing "Executive Produced by Michael Bay".

also League of extraordinary gentlemen could have Mycroft Holmes be the Nick Fury and the British secret service be there SHIELD (or give it a different name to sound cooler)
    If they turned out to be the Illuminati or Freemasons or something, they could do the HYDRA thing from The Winter Soldier, too.

Agreed I def see them bringing it back in a few years, but they'll wait a little while I suspect.... and hopefully get a better team together
    They had all the right ingredients, there was just literally no charm whatsoever to the Mummy film. A female antagonist to get some more diversity was a fantastic idea, the movie just had so little to like about it. Maybe if it took place in the same era as the Brendan Fraser Mummy movie (the first one), it could have been more interesting, period pieces tend to force filmmakers to be more creative, and who doesn't love a good sci-fi anachronism or five?

I just found out they're making a new Doctor Doolittle (classic, not the Eddie Murphy kind), starring Robert Downey Jr. as the doctor. I have a very weird time imagining Downey as the doctor, but then again I didn't think he'd make much of a Sherlock Holmes and he did great. So, looking forward to it.

I am all into having Downey be anything other than Tony these days. Has he been anyone instead of Sherlock Holmes and an australian actor since Iron Man?

Apparently the last few years he's only done Marvel, but he has been in several movies since the first Iron Man.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert...r._filmography

I'd recommend Chaplin. That was a good movie.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I am all into having Downey be anything other than Tony these days. Has he been anyone instead of Sherlock Holmes and an australian actor since Iron Man?
    Does being transracial count? He was a dude playing a dude disguised as another due in Tropic Thunder (unless that's the Australian one you were talking about, or was that a reference to Natural Born Killers?) And Due Date. And The Judge. So he's been in a few non-Tony Stark roles between then and now.

Nah, I hear what you're sayin'. It's like how Once Upon a Time is a crossover but not a shared universe with anything else. Or Avengers Grimm; Now there's a movie that doesn't deserve its own thread, but whose core concept deserves to be a series!
    Never heard of Avengers Grimm until now, then I looked it up online got super excited based off the description then had my hopes and dreams shattered by the terrible reviews.... I will remember this Battle Franky lol

Alien Vs. Predator didn't really seem to have that, come to think of it. At least not very well done, and not til the literal tail end of Requiem. But that was the least of the reasons why those movies sucked.
    Forgot about that one lol

In the case of the DCEU I'd say it's more Amanda Waller's shadow organization. I'm curious if such a shared universe series could be done well without such a surrogate to bind them all together. I mean, the Marvel Netflix stuff kind of does but there are certain characters who do tie everything together even if they're not united or organized.
    I'm sure it can be done, I just think it makes it soooooo much easier to have a plausible explanation on how to get them all together if you have shadow orginization has known all of them and brings them together

but your on track with Defenders, I mean yes they had characters they all knew (Clare) but they had a perfect opportunity/idea on how to get them all together, Private eye who gets into messy crap, who needs a lawyer, who follows her and both start looking into a shadow organization, that another one of the main characters is looking into because he owns the company, the last member of there group is also looking into because he's helping find answers for a family who lost a son because said organization killed him..... man they really did botch up such a good shared story.... I mean I liked it but it could have been a hell of a lot better

I'm smellin' what you're sellin'. Wait til we see a G.I. Joe/Transformers crossover; if there's at least one sequel to it, then it'll be a full-blown shared universe. They'll probably throw in Thundercats and Masters of the Universe for good measure, too. Like an explosion in your toy box, brought to you by some schmuck director whose name is dwarfed by seeing "Executive Produced by Michael Bay".
    Take out Michael Bay and I'll throw my money at you

If they turned out to be the Illuminati or Freemasons or something, they could do the HYDRA thing from The Winter Soldier, too.
    THIS!!!!! can't believe I didn't think of that

I'm actually trying to write a screenplay do you guys know which characters are in League of Extraordinary gentlemen I tried looking up on the wiki page, but can't tell what's real or not, they have characters like Draco Malfoy and the spy car from cars 2 on there, so I'm pretty sure people are just messing with it

I know Sherlock Holmes (and Watson)
    Moriarty
    Captain Nemo
    Dr. Jackal and Mr. Hyde
    Dracula (and his brides)
    Invisible man
    Quartmire
    Lupin
    Dorian Gray
    Frankenstin
    Jack the Ripper

or characters from other Victorian London set series like Jack The Ripper hell blade or Penny Dreadful
    They had all the right ingredients, there was just literally no charm whatsoever to the Mummy film. A female antagonist to get some more diversity was a fantastic idea, the movie just had so little to like about it. Maybe if it took place in the same era as the Brendan Fraser Mummy movie (the first one), it could have been more interesting, period pieces tend to force filmmakers to be more creative, and who doesn't love a good sci-fi anachronism or five?
    Well here's hoping that when they start it over they do a much better job

what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

Discovered Stowaway

Never heard of Avengers Grimm until now, then I looked it up online got super excited based off the description then had my hopes and dreams shattered by the terrible reviews.... I will remember this Battle Franky lol
    It's made by the Asylum, who are known for their mockbuster rip-offs of other high-profile films. Like I said, it's not a great movie itself, but its concept, smashing Once Upon a Time into the Avengers, is freaking brilliant.

but your on track with Defenders, I mean yes they had characters they all knew (Clare) but they had a perfect opportunity/idea on how to get them all together, Private eye who gets into messy crap, who needs a lawyer, who follows her and both start looking into a shadow organization, that another one of the main characters is looking into because he owns the company, the last member of there group is also looking into because he's helping find answers for a family who lost a son because said organization killed him..... man they really did botch up such a good shared story.... I mean I liked it but it could have been a hell of a lot better
    Elektra was not a good central villain to use for it. I think if they'd thrown in Taskmaster it would have been a little more interesting, and if they'd gone a full 13 episodes, or hell, even 10, it might have been able to be better written.

Take out Michael Bay and I'll throw my money at you
    Is that an assassination order? LOL.

THIS!!!!! can't believe I didn't think of that
    Can I get a co-author credit? LOL.

I'm actually trying to write a screenplay do you guys know which characters are in League of Extraordinary gentlemen I tried looking up on the wiki page, but can't tell what's real or not, they have characters like Draco Malfoy and the spy car from cars 2 on there, so I'm pretty sure people are just messing with it

I know Sherlock Holmes (and Watson)
    Moriarty
    Captain Nemo
    Dr. Jackal and Mr. Hyde
    Dracula (and his brides)
    Invisible man
    Quartmire
    Lupin
    Dorian Gray
    Frankenstin
    Jack the Ripper

or characters from other Victorian London set series like Jack The Ripper hell blade or Penny Dreadful
    Throwing in Lupin was a cool idea, though have you given thought to what abilities these characters might have if they weren't in the graphic novels or movie?

Well here's hoping that when they start it over they do a much better job
    Other than the Mummy, I wonder which one would be best as a headliner to the whole thing. But I stand by my idea that it should be set in an older era, I think they'd all benefit from being period pieces.

It's made by the Asylum, who are known for their mockbuster rip-offs of other high-profile films. Like I said, it's not a great movie itself, but its concept, smashing Once Upon a Time into the Avengers, is freaking brilliant.
    Lol sounds like a lot of fun. If you could have any director take that plot and run with it who would you chose?

Elektra was not a good central villain to use for it. I think if they'd thrown in Taskmaster it would have been a little more interesting, and if they'd gone a full 13 episodes, or hell, even 10, it might have been able to be better written.
    agreed

Is that an assassination order? LOL.
    LolI don't hate him that much, just wish someone else could take the transformers franchise instead

Can I get a co-author credit? LOL.
    lol I doubt I'll finish it, I suck at writing so I've been trying to get a little better by writing a bit every day but so far nothing I've written really stands out in my mind as good enough to let other people read.... still I'm trying

Throwing in Lupin was a cool idea, though have you given thought to what abilities these characters might have if they weren't in the graphic novels or movie?
    Lupin was actually in a series I was reading called Jack the Ripper Hell Blade, I started reading it because like I said I was trying to make a League of extrodinary gentlemn series so I've been reading/watching stuff in that time period that uses the public domain characters, the series only has five volumes out and it's not really good

Idk about the abilities still just starting
    Other than the Mummy, I wonder which one would be best as a headliner to the whole thing. But I stand by my idea that it should be set in an older era, I think they'd all benefit from being period pieces.
    Well they've done Dracula and the Mummy, so that leaves the warewolf and..... I'm drawing a blank

Discovered Stowaway

Well they've done Dracula and the Mummy, so that leaves the warewolf and..... I'm drawing a blank
    They were going to do Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein, Invisible Man and Gill Man (Creature from the Black Lagoon) to complete the pantheon of classic monsters, but they started out with the Mummy and it killed the whole franchise before it got off the ground, so if they made a second go, which of them is the one to put their best foot forward with? At least allow it to get two or three films in before it fizzles. I mean, Dracula seems like the one to be the archvillain of the franchise that some or all of the others have to join forces to defeat, but I can see it taking on a Civil War sort of team vs. team dynamic.

*snort*

The "selfie" thing was stupid, but I giggled through most of this.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    *snort*

The "selfie" thing was stupid, but I giggled through most of this.
    Are they going to have cameos from Cumberbatch and Downey Jr., I wonder? Or other Sherlocks and Watsons from other movies/TV...

Hard to say. They could easily go either way with it.

I just stumbled on this. Looks intense.

HOLY SHIT!!!!!

Technically a series, not a movie, but:

Yaaaayyy!

Although I still think Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie would have been the perfect Aziraphale and Crowley, I'm sure David Tennant and Michael Sheen will do a good job.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Technically a series, not a movie, but:

Yaaaayyy!

Although I still think Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie would have been the perfect Aziraphale and Crowley, I'm sure David Tennant and Michael Sheen will do a good job.
    I think they'd be a bit too old but I do like their other work together.

Aziraphale and Crowley are thousands of years old. Freaking Ian MacKellan and Patrick Stewart could play them.

. . . . actually that would be pretty cool too.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information