+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

  1. #1

    Default Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Well, we don't really have a generic movie thread and I can't think of anywhere else to put this, so.... in the tradition of the manga section's "Theories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread"....

    First trailer for the movie Alpha, from July 2017.



    Dramatic action flik, some blood and violence, intense and clearly going for that now rare PG-13 market.

    And now, trailer two from June 2018 a year later.


    DIfferent music, different tone, much more lighthearted and kid friendly.

    Methinks there's been some reshoots or heavy re-editing to this film.


    (Doesn't matter, dog is going to die at the end and depress me so I'm not going to see it anyway. (But you'll be uplifted because he had cubs!)

    Still, interesting to see such a different pair of trailers. I haven't seen something this jarring since Racing Stripes... where the original trailer just looked like a cheesy old Disney feel good movie, and the second added in CG taking flies that rapped, one of them voiced by David Spade.

    Hidden:


  2. #2

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    I can't wait to watch the remastered version of Ozu's movies. They'll all come out in a month

    Anyway, this movie looks great too



    Also, wouldn't it be better to just make one thread about movies ? It has always been hard to talk about movies on this forum, and now we have one thread for "movies we saw", "movies that aren't famous enough" and this one.



    And Sicario 2 is shit as expected. It's so dumb, it's a mix of AmericanAssassin and BladeRunner. The first one showed how people were corrupted, the second one is an action packed movie about very very very dumb stuff. The characters are all so retarded. At least Benicio Del Toro is charismatic


    I have to watch the Incredibles 2 now

  3. #3
    Dog does not approve. onemoment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Jersey.

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Today I saw "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" in theaters. I had to drive 10 miles out cause my local theater replaced it with "Antman and the Wasp." After a bad morning and a stressful drive, I was annoyed and bitter. After watching this, my mood changed and I feel better about life in general. It a wonderful film and I hope to watch again on DVD.

    It featured many powerful scenes, though one sad one stood out to me:
    Spoiler:
    I was nearly in tears during the scene near his death, with the "God hates America" protestors. Seeing those kids among a group of adults holding "God hates Fags" signs is heartbreaking. The man did great work his entire life, and I wish more people took after him.


    One negative note, somewhat unrelated since it's only about one clip in the movie:
    Spoiler:
    Fuck you Brian Kilmeade. I could say this any day of the week, but I forgot about his little "did Mister Rogers ruins a generation episode. Idiot.

  4. #4
    King of the Monsters Lucky Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Monster Planet

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread



    So this is only the second film by director Panos Cosmatos. Saw his first film Beyond the Black Rainbow and I can see he brings alot of what he did there over here. The way he uses the audio and visuals to create a compelling sense of atmosphere. Putting his characters into strange deeply traumatic circumstances. While Mandy looks to be a great deal more action oriented, Beyond the Black Rainbow was not shy about the violence it had either. All welcome carryovers, but I look forward to seeing in what ways this film will distinguish itself from what came before.

    Godzilla is the son of the atomic bomb. As long as the arrogance of mankind exists, Godzilla will survive.
    óTomoyuki Tanaka

  5. #5
    Just as planned choperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Right Behind you! MWHAHAHA

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Robby didn't I ask you if we could make this thread a while ago?

    Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

  6. #6
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    How did I miss that there was a Robin Hood movie coming out this year?



    I dunno it feels almost too . . . . modern? I feel like it's so hard to do Robin Hood right. Unless you're Errol Flynn or Disney it seems so weird. Prince of Thieves version had everything going for it really well except for the HUGE mistake of casting Kevin Costner to play Robin. Men in Tights is a parody. The Ridley Scott version just sucked. Everything else is just forgotten about.

  7. #7
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread



    It seems the director is cashing in on his shared universe.

    I'm not sure making the meet that early is such a good idea. I would have like 1-2 more characters to innteract with. While I think all three are interesting I'm not really sure their dynamic and what makes each interesting works well together.

    Also minor thing but it's weird to me hearing the word superheroes in this world.



  8. #8

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I dunno it feels almost too . . . . modern? I feel like it's so hard to do Robin Hood right. Unless you're Errol Flynn or Disney it seems so weird. Prince of Thieves version had everything going for it really well except for the HUGE mistake of casting Kevin Costner to play Robin. Men in Tights is a parody. The Ridley Scott version just sucked. Everything else is just forgotten about.
    Robin and Marian, with Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn, and written by James Goldman (who also wrote The Lion in Winter ) is pretty solid, but really often overlooked... probably because its about an older Robin past his prime.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    It seems the director is cashing in on his shared universe.

    I'm not sure making the meet that early is such a good idea. I would have like 1-2 more characters to innteract with. While I think all three are interesting I'm not really sure their dynamic and what makes each interesting works well together.

    Also minor thing but it's weird to me hearing the word superheroes in this world.
    Well, Unbreakable is the one M. Knight film everyone has wanted a sequel to for like 20 years... and it was a nice surprise twist when his last film ended on the tease that it was shared.... but yeah, this is maybe too fast to do a teamup movie. One more film first with one more character woulda been the trick I think. (Though maybe the trailer is hiding a whole mess of things and this'll tie into a whole mess of his films.) Oh well, hopefully it's good.
    Last edited by Robby; July 22nd, 2018 at 07:10 AM.

  9. #9
    Father of the Man Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Just saw the new Spike Lee movie, BlacKkKlansman. Fantastic movie. Great plot, great dialogue, great acting all around, incredibly funny, and just a (mostly) reassuring movie if you're feeling down amidst the turmoil this country's been going through lately.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    I just posted about it in another thread! Moving it over here instead:

    Just got out of BlacKkKlansman, thought it was fantastic.

    It was very emotional, quite funny at times, and had excellent tension throughout. I had the feeling that it should end happily, but found myself constantly worrying about what could happen next... and the last five minutes are really sobering (compiled Charlottesville footage is pretty crazy). The final phone call with David Duke was so incredibly satisfying.

    Great music, too. All in all, a movie I'd highly recommend to anyone - though you're sure to hate it if you love Fox News.

  11. #11
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    HOW did I miss that Will Ferrel and John C. Riley are making a Sherlock Holmes comedy?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PkKUN12cI

    Part of what's funny is that I think John C. Riley could play a good Watson in either a comedy or a drama.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    That link took me to a Wreck It Ralph preview.

  13. #13
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Just saw the new Spike Lee movie, BlacKkKlansman. Fantastic movie. Great plot, great dialogue, great acting all around, incredibly funny, and just a (mostly) reassuring movie if you're feeling down amidst the turmoil this country's been going through lately.
    I saw Sorry to Bother You recently and while it was...interesting, I liked that it was trying to be a comedy and I liked that, so I'm not sure if BlackkKlansman is kind of the more serious tone film that deals with social issues and has less of a lighthearted approach.

  14. #14
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RedGreenBlue View Post
    That link took me to a Wreck It Ralph preview.
    I'm an idiot.
    https://screenrant.com/will-ferrell-...on-first-look/

  15. #15
    Father of the Man Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    I saw Sorry to Bother You recently and while it was...interesting, I liked that it was trying to be a comedy and I liked that, so I'm not sure if BlackkKlansman is kind of the more serious tone film that deals with social issues and has less of a lighthearted approach.
    It's a bit of a mix. I'd say BlacKkKlansman leans more towards the light-hearted side as there's a lot of humor and jokes in it, but there's also some pretty heavy moments, particularly when they detail the lynching of Jesse Washington and the very end when they show Charlottesville footage.

  16. #16
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Searching is a pretty good movie with a great creative direction. I recommend it to everyone.

    It's a movie about an Asian dad trying to find his missing teenage daughter.

    The whole movie is told through the perspective of various electronic media. Every social media site, live streaming, video calls, texts, emails, cameras, etc.(edited)

    The premise for Searching sounds like the Liam Neeson movie Taken, I know. But it is a lot more grounded and realistic than that, so no cheesy edge meme lines. And has both good acting and little bits of humor that work without tonal whiplash.

    The film effectively plays around with how electronic media can be used as facades to hide hidden feelings and agendas. Along with how families don't really communicate or know each other all too well. I could relate to it a lot. Except for the whole missing child thing lol.

    This movie is basically the electronic version of Rear Window. A psychological suspense thriller that keeps playing with your expectations.

    The big reveals near the end almost break my suspension of disbelief by how epically coincidental it is in typical fictional narrative fashion, which clashes with how grounded and realistic the rest of the film is. But even those were cleverly foreshadowed and fit.

    All in all, Searching gets a thumbs up for me as the best film I've seen all year.

    But I have not seen Sorry to Bother You yet and that film has always looked interesting to me, so who knows if I might change my opinion lol.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  17. #17

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Has anyone seen Blackkklansman yet?

    I really wanted to see it, but it had limited showings around me and I couldn't catch it.

    I was already very eager to see if given the premise and trailer. But I especially got hyped after listening to Topher Grace talk about it on Michael Rosenbaum's podcast. I had no idea Topher was playing David Duke. That 70's Show is easily in my top 5 TV shows of all time and listening to him speak about his life, career, and this movie really wanted to make me see it.

    So if anyone has seen it and wants to give their spoiler free review on it, I eagerly look forward to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

  18. #18
    Father of the Man Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Md-Martin View Post
    Has anyone seen Blackkklansman yet?

    I really wanted to see it, but it had limited showings around me and I couldn't catch it.

    I was already very eager to see if given the premise and trailer. But I especially got hyped after listening to Topher Grace talk about it on Michael Rosenbaum's podcast. I had no idea Topher was playing David Duke. That 70's Show is easily in my top 5 TV shows of all time and listening to him speak about his life, career, and this movie really wanted to make me see it.

    So if anyone has seen it and wants to give their spoiler free review on it, I eagerly look forward to it!
    I talked about it previously in this thread, but yeah, if you can catch it I highly recommend it. John Washington, Topher Grace, and (especially) Adam Driver all give great performances, and the script is really tight and funny. Just a fair warning though the very final part of the film may be hard to sit through since it shows live footage of certain recent real life events.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I talked about it previously in this thread, but yeah, if you can catch it I highly recommend it. John Washington, Topher Grace, and (especially) Adam Driver all give great performances, and the script is really tight and funny. Just a fair warning though the very final part of the film may be hard to sit through since it shows live footage of certain recent real life events.
    If anything that makes me want to see it more! Thanks for the recommendation. I know it's based on real events and have a guess as to what you're speaking of. If anything that makes me want to see it more because it's touching on those real events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

  20. #20
    Just as planned choperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Right Behind you! MWHAHAHA

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Hey guys do you think they'll ever try and make a league of extraordinary Gentlemen shared universe???

    and what other kind of shared universes are there that they could make, obviously there are a bunch of comic book ones they can make but what else is out there...

    and R.I.P the Dark Universe

    Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts