+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 913: Tsuru Repays the Favor

Default Re: Chapter 913: Tsuru Repays the Favor

Nice to see what Hawkins can do and bring to the team, Tank and some sort of psychic.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

Quote Originally Posted by ShadGates View Post
    is Yokozuna Jinbei's human form?, lol
    Or he is Yokozuna's human form! (remember the frog?)

I find it funny that it took this long for Oda to indulge in Japanese history. We've had bits and pieces here and there, but the impact this has on his art is awesome. it just have him a lot of new faces to draw on, espicially considering what Manga Oda was working on as an assistant before coming to OP

Also heirophant and "Sir Green" directly beneath it??
    Is Oda dropping shadow Jojokes?

This must be the work of an enemy Strawman

Quote Originally Posted by Piitan View Post
    What bothers me time and time again is people explaining their own DFs. Since the knowledge about what their fruits are could be used by potential enemies to defeat them, DF users should keep their mouths shut more often. I want at least one arc where neither we nor Luffy know what the main villain's power is and Luffy (well, the other, more brainy SHs) needs to deduce its limits. More mind games, less straight forward punching.
    on the countrary, I'm happy we learn what Hawkins fruit is about.
    I'm not a big fan of mind games neither in mangas. I don't have the impression that's really what Oda wants to write anyway

hawkins powers are really confusing with the whole card thing now in place for some reason.

Mangaspoiler Emigrant RigaCrypto's Avatar

So, any theory about why Law's crew have Heart Pirates Kimono's ? Could it be Kinemon's ability or they have custom tailored kimonos and that means they established their base somewhere near/in the capital city ( as Wano has been depicted so far, i don't think any other remote village is capable of tailoring custom kimonos just for the fun of it).
    Also, having the Jolly Roger on the kimono means they can't openly run around as they could get spotted right away giving they are from the Worst Gen.

Next chapter i bet Luffy is going to send the fat ass flying straight to Flower City :D

What bothers me time and time again is people explaining their own DFs. Since the knowledge about what their fruits are could be used by potential enemies to defeat them, DF users should keep their mouths shut more often. I want at least one arc where neither we nor Luffy know what the main villain's power is and Luffy (well, the other, more brainy SHs) needs to deduce its limits. More mind games, less straight forward punching.
    that kid of thing is fun only if the audience is along for the ride trying o deduce the same thing....but we already know how hawkins' powers work, so it would be empty to keep it a mistery fro zoro e luffy for so long since it wouldn't be a mistery for us.

then the readers wont know what happen without the explanation

This felt like a short chapter, but faster pacing definitely makes up for it. Hawkins' ability is amazing, from a creative stand-point as much as from its power itself. He has both defensive and offensive potential, and without a doubt there's more to his fruit than what we've just seen. Luck must be his hard counter, though. I wonder if he has the supreme ability to curse someone? Sort of a parallel to Law's immortality technique.
    On OJ I was reminded that Kaido killed all of Moria's crew. Could he have done the same to the 3 captains, leaving only them alive? They were all fodder apart from Killer (and maybe Heat and Wire) anyway. For now we've only seen the captains. Hawkins might have chosen to submit when he checked his survival rates for disobedience, and, upon seeing a massive death flag floating over his head, chose to wait until someone would balance the odds and allow him to take his revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    on the countrary, I'm happy we learn what Hawkins fruit is about.
    I'm not a big fan of mind games neither in mangas. I don't have the impression that's really what Oda wants to write anyway
    Perhaps Piitan had Hunter x Hunter in mind, where it's stated several times that keeping your nen ability a secret is a winning-strategy. Only fights in HxH are very different from those in OP. They're more of a "mind-game" type, to use your term. There are instances in One Piece where a devil fruit user shouldn't reveal what's happening (Mr. 2, Doflamingo, Van Der Decken...), for obvious reason. This situation isn't a part of them, imo.

The only thing Hawkins revealed is that he can tank damage by using clones. But even that was pretty much deduced by the characters and the readers. Take a look at Zoro's reaction and the way these panels were executed to draw a parallel between the fallen clone and the fallen subordinate (the mirroring becomes extreme in the last panel where they're laying next to one another):
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by silver_planet View Post
    then the readers wont know what happen without the explanation
    There are tons of ways of explaining a power without having someone say it. You can show it; you can use the narrator; you can use a flashback, etc.

The clone ability didn't need verbal confirmation, we all knew what was happening. Oda really loves to have characters say the obvious, like Luffy's: "something came out of him!" in this very chapter.
    Last edited by Kaptayn; August 3rd, 2018 at 12:58 AM.

I liked the chapter but I dont know why I find Hawkins soo boring. It must be his expression or the fact that I consider him to be no that strong in comparison
    Lazyness is my superpower

Quote Originally Posted by tarigarma View Post
    I liked the chapter but I dont know why I find Hawkins soo boring. It must be his expression or the fact that I consider him to be no that strong in comparison

Zoro was shown "shaking" during clash because of strength of that Straw marionette - Hawkings is plenty strong. I would guess that Zoro would still win but he would end up quite wounded during their fight. Hawkings is plenty strong even with his low bounty.

There are tons of ways of explaining a power without having someone say it. You can show it; you can use the narrator; you can use a flashback, etc.

The clone ability didn't need verbal confirmation, we all knew what was happening. Oda really loves to have characters say the obvious, like Luffy's: "something came out of him!" in this very chapter.
    yeah, still have to do the explanation, by the means that you already explained

Also it's not like Hawkins revealed everything. From this chapter Oda revealed there was at least 3 ways to destroy one of Hawkins life :
    hurting hawkins
    hurting one of the puppet representative
    hurting hawkins strawman

Luffy didn't comment it but I'm not sure he likes that way of defending oneself, so I doubt he will ally with Hawkins one day

Well that was a fun exchange. I guess Hawkins explaining his abilities is better than an info box like we had during Reverie. Keeping it a secret from our protagonists isnt as fun when we the readers know what it's all about. So you can't put yourself in their shoes and struggle to make sense of what's going on. I'm with Oda's call here.

Zoro doesn't waste any time, though! Freaking love that.

Also love how Hawkins is staying serious even when messing up with those cards. Gotta believe in Heart of the Cards!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

I just remembered the Kikuhime girl from the Kyoto story. I wonder if Oda will loosely tie that into Wano with O-Kiku being Kikuhime in hiding after Kaidou killed her daimyou dad.
    Zoro runs towards the enemy
    Does a pose behind him
    Says name of attack
    Blood spray from enemy
    Says one liner

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

I need a fight between giant ghost straw dude and big castle capone, I won't take nothing less

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Luffy didn't comment it but I'm not sure he likes that way of defending oneself, so I doubt he will ally with Hawkins one day
    Maybe one of his crew mate will make a super emotional speech about why they follow Hawkins and why they are ready to act as meat shield for their beloved captain.

In some way, Zoro did the same for Luffy in this chapter to block the needle attack.

It's not like Capone and Law are model citizens. Let's remember, Luffy allied with Crocodile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    . Gotta believe in Heart of the Cards!
    is not fair when Law is the only one capable of summoning Exodia... kind of..

Really liking Hawkins ability.
    Hmm so far only Pleasures and some i assume Orochi men got hurt because of Hawkins ability, there seems to be only one of is men present there (braided hair one).
    This is good way to get rid Kaido people and Orochi people without seeming treasonous, i wonder if rest of Hawkins crew is being held hostage.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information