+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 913: Tsuru Repays the Favor

Default Re: Chapter 913: Tsuru Repays the Favor

Quote Originally Posted by Piitan View Post
    What bothers me time and time again is people explaining their own DFs. Since the knowledge about what their fruits are could be used by potential enemies to defeat them, DF users should keep their mouths shut more often. I want at least one arc where neither we nor Luffy know what the main villain's power is and Luffy (well, the other, more brainy SHs) needs to deduce its limits. More mind games, less straight forward punching.
    we have that at the impel down with the minotaur and that is on heck of a train wreck. I want more to know about their powers. Also Law does not explain his fruit it was smoker who did it so it count as well

We are finally going Jojo now?

Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Luffy didn't comment it but I'm not sure he likes that way of defending oneself, so I doubt he will ally with Hawkins one day
    Luffy has been an ally of Crocodile, Daz Bones, Ceasar Clown, Capone.... he doesn't necessarily need to like them for them to end up helping him, especially when they are doing so because they have their own interests to cover. Which could very well be the case with Hawkins: a the enemy of my enemy is my friend type of deal.
    A long-term alliance doesn't seem likely to me, though.

EDIT: ninja'd by Razh
    Last edited by Kaptayn; August 3rd, 2018 at 02:14 AM.

Well, Hawkins huge puppet was fun to see. Everything else was pretty much already known
    And I like how Zoro is taking care of Hawkins, and not Luffy. I mean, otherwise it would be a 10sec fight

So how is this card game part of the straw fruit? Summoning the straw creature kinda makes sense, even streching with the voodoo dolls, but yu gi oh card game too?
    And based on how his underling attacked another underling, these cards control the future too, like either hawkins or his enemy gets something bad.

Anyway, he seems like a shitty captain, he doesn't care about his crew, he only uses them to take the damage.
    Last edited by uniaka ikuzakas; August 3rd, 2018 at 03:28 AM.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

I'm gon get one of those Lizardosaurus as toy, and take it to the next Jurassic Park movie.

And I would like if that Card that Hawkings mentioned, the one that rises individuals potential would be used on someone else than Luffy.

Like for example Sanji so he can take part in battle against Kaido

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    So how is this card game part of the straw fruit? Summoning the straw creature kinda makes sense, even streching with the voodoo dolls, but yu gi oh card game too?
    And based on how his underling attacked another underling, these cards control the future too, like either hawkins or his enemy gets something bad.

Hidden:

Luffy didn't comment it but I'm not sure he likes that way of defending oneself, so I doubt he will ally with Hawkins one day
    Well he had no problems to ally with Capone, who shot his own comrade, or with Dr. Mengele to kill someone he hardly knew^^

Hawkins is awesome.. really like how he use his monster power. its like Komamura's Kokujō Tengen Myō'ō. One of my favorite Bankai

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Well he had no problems to ally with Capone, who shot his own comrade, or with Dr. Mengele to kill someone he hardly knew^^
    Maybe yes but I would like if Hawkings would stay an enemy.

He wounded Zoro, he tried to wound Luffy and little child as well. I cannot imagine him being put into a gag or making any face other than his usual.
    I think he might be one of rare examples of bad guys with no funny faces- like Lucci who always stayed Lucci, I expect Hawkings to be same way.

I would love to see more of him, especially as his Straw doll was strong enough to make Zoros muscles "shake when they clashed" so he is no pushover even if he got hit by Zoros deadly attack twice.

Hawkings would be likely to beat many strong characters thanks to his ability and cards, he is very difficult enemy to fight for some CQC fighter like for example Sanji.

I also wonder if he needs piece of persons cloths to activate his ability and if he will use it against any of "good guys" so he will put good guys in position where they cannot attack him or their friend will die. His ability can be used in very interesting ways.. Hawkings is growing on me.

on the countrary, I'm happy we learn what Hawkins fruit is about.
    I'm not a big fan of mind games neither in mangas. I don't have the impression that's really what Oda wants to write anyway
    To each their own, I guess.
    And I agree, Oda seems to be indifferent to that sort of narration. Doesn't mean that it wouldn't bring a breeze of fresh air to the world he's built up so far, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maju View Post
    that kid of thing is fun only if the audience is along for the ride trying o deduce the same thing....but we already know how hawkins' powers work, so it would be empty to keep it a mistery fro zoro e luffy for so long since it wouldn't be a mistery for us.
    We didn't really know what his powers were about other than the voodoo-strawmen before this chapter. Some readers even went as far as theorizing that the tarrot cards were a gimmick that lay outside the DF's effects.

Quote Originally Posted by silver_planet View Post
    then the readers wont know what happen without the explanation
    Which they'd get by showcasing brainstorming among the characters and/or inner monologue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptayn View Post
    Perhaps Piitan had Hunter x Hunter in mind, where it's stated several times that keeping your nen ability a secret is a winning-strategy. Only fights in HxH are very different from those in OP. They're more of a "mind-game" type, to use your term. There are instances in One Piece where a devil fruit user shouldn't reveal what's happening (Mr. 2, Doflamingo, Van Der Decken...), for obvious reason. This situation isn't a part of them, imo.
    I had HxH in mind. And while I know Togashi and Oda, and their worlds respectively, work in different ways, I do think less info-dump from Oda could streamline the narration.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptayn View Post
    There are tons of ways of explaining a power without having someone say it. You can show it; you can use the narrator; you can use a flashback, etc.

The clone ability didn't need verbal confirmation, we all knew what was happening. Oda really loves to have characters say the obvious, like Luffy's: "something came out of him!" in this very chapter.
    Exactly. It's annoying when most characters have a "I'm the X-X man" monologue or the "I ate the Y-Y fruit and I can do Z and Z!". Like, dude, shut up, you don't know who's listening and your big mouth could be your own downfall.

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf1234 View Post
    we have that at the impel down with the minotaur and that is on heck of a train wreck. I want more to know about their powers.
    That's mainly because Oda still don't want to reveal the rules for awakened Zoans.

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf1234 View Post
    Also Law does not explain his fruit it was smoker who did it so it count as well
    And the beginning of Punk Hazard had a nice mystery going of for it, between the weird climate and the creature with mismatched body parts.

so we got ourselves a Kimono Tea House "Pudding".. but she is cute though
    At least not another Nami design huh?!

So Hawkins transformed his sword in straws so...Awakened?

Hidden:

Hawkins explaining his fruits to people trying to defeat him is ridiculous. You could just as easily have had Zoro deducing it.

I'm enjoying the Luffy Zoro dynamic.

I wonder what kind of sword is that straw sword. Could it be used like a normal one? Does it have to make that giant figure when fully expended?

I like the design of the lady saved by Zoro.
    Last edited by desa; August 3rd, 2018 at 05:38 AM.

Someone brought this up:

This was seen in an exhibition a while back. Guess O-Kiku will be more significant than we think?

Mangastream translation made Hawkins lines about his power clearer. I just don't know if they are more accurate...

Another character called Tsuru? If this was on purpose to show in an actual world is common for people to share a name, I like it. I assume Oda wouldn't forget he already have a character with that name.
    Kiku looks exactly like Kikuhime from One Piece x Kyoto. I wonder if they are the "same character but not really". Like Kikuhime being an alternate version of Kiku on that spinoff reality. I hope it is, so we have a chance of getting a Nue on the manga as well instead of having it wasted on that.
    Btw, I bet on those two being kunoichi ("or onna-bugeisha" - Kishido) in disguise.

19 % is definitely too high to be hype :P
    "I'm simply an accident. Why take it all so seriously?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fraco View Post
    19 % is definitely too high to be hype :P
    Nah, i'd bet a good chunk of that is them locked in a cage next to Kidd, we don't know their odds at winning yet.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Hawkins explaining his fruits to people trying to defeat him is ridiculous. You could just as easily have had Zoro deducing it.
    Neither Luffy or Zoro are smart enough to know what Voodoo do.

Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information