View Poll Results: Who do you think will join?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tama

4 3.28%
  • Carrot

31 25.41%
  • Caribou

7 5.74%
  • Momo

0 0%
  • Kinemon

1 0.82%
  • Hiyori

3 2.46%
  • Bonney

6 4.92%
  • Pekoms

3 2.46%
  • Vivi

11 9.02%
  • Kawamatsu

10 8.20%
  • None of the above

46 37.70%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 128 of 139 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 2772

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It's not any of those characters. We'll know em when we see them. Unless Oda is doing a straight up Robin repeat where he's reeeeeally hiding his intentions, It won't be hard to tell. It won't need three years of debate, or constnat claims of "they could become better in the future" it'll have a strong argument pretty fast and a rock solid argument within a few chapters.
    I don't understand why it couldn't be any of those characters. From my perspective, most simply lack that 'rock solid argument'. I think aside from Kinemon, there is potential in the others Ive mentioned.

Unless Im misunderstanding your statement, and you mean it's not any of those characters yet, Im not sure what means of dismissal we are using here. The basis on which they were first introduced? Their potential role within the crew? The lack of Luffy moments? I personally think that Oda has done a great job of creating red herrings and seeding Strawhat elements in multiple characters, to keep us guessing. I dont think it dismisses any of them though, from an audience perspective. They are all potentials because Oda planned them all that way, much like how he planned Galley La or Vivi.

We will know when we get there but I dont think that dismisses the possibility that we have been seeded an ally who hasnt reached potential yet.

I mean what characteristic are we looking for that isn't applicable to each of the characters I mentioned? What would dismiss them as potential allies? I simply see missing information, the way Franky was set up but not obvious as a candidate.

Totally quote Triceron.

The manga is meant to entertain. If some pattern is followed, it is because the autors and the editors expect us to appreciate it.
    If a character joins, it is mostly because we are demanding that.

Obviously always within certain limits, there is no way for Akainu to join the strawhats..

To elaborate a little bit, I was very dismissive towards Jinbe joining the crew from fishman island to WCI, because it felt to me that there were too many rules that stood against him joining. Jinbe breaking those rules broadens the idea of who can become a crew member now that we're in the New World. The main ones I was always hooked up on were:

A) "The flashback" - idk how other people think of it, but I would never call Jinbe's flashback, "Jinbe's flashback" like I do every other Strawhat's. It's the "Fisher Tiger flashback" minorly featuring Jinbe. I'd also call it Koala's or even Arlong's flashback before I'd call it Jinbe's. He took such a background role that I never believed it fulfilled the qualifications to be a Strawhat's flashback. He is, so now I don't think it matters much anymore.

B) "The Dream" - So Jinbe's dream is the same as the general FI important characters? The safety and freedom for their people to live on the surface? Really don't see how joining the strawhats is supposed to help with that. Now, all the strawhats are together first and formost because they're friends, which Jinbe definitely fulfills. It's just that none of the other's have their dream/goal actively hurt by being a part of the crew either. I guess the dream isn't as important as I'd once thought and it just matters that you have one at all.

C) "Responsibilities" - Jinbe always seemed too responsible and too mature to just quit on the Sun Pirates or Fishman Island to me. The intro of the Grand Fleet opened up the idea that he'd just join that and take his crew back to FI to defend it as representatives of the Strawhat Pirates. Didn't think Oda had another satisfying way to relieve Jinbe of these duties, but I guess it didn't really matter. If it's clear you really like the Strawhats, your supporting cast will step down and tell you to stay with them.

C) "Color Representation" - I still don't know what color Jinbe's gonna represent. Granted, maybe he's finally decided Sanji's not "blue" anymore. Doesn't matter I guess, but I do desire to know many of the Strawhat SBS Trivia Traits for Jinbe.

Obviously there's still the base, "Must spend time with and bond with the Strawhats for an arc or more" and "Bring something different to the crew" general traits. Those just seem too broad at this point to really help narrow things down anymore, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by crlsdc View Post
    there is no way for Akainu to join the strawhats..
    Hmmm maybe i should alter the poll

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post

How fitting that Tama that is one generation younger Luffy, perfect apprentice on the crew.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I also found this interesting;

"I was going to finish ONE PIECE within 5 years.
    Every crew joins before Grand Line. (1- 1.5 year)
    Great adventure (3 years)
    Final arc (1 year)" Sound Recording (2012)"

Hopefully this mean at least that we will have all the crewmembers before the final parts of one piece begins, then ideally the last one should join in wano.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Now this is a huge stretch, I know, but its all fun and games anyway.

Purple-haired girl with minions and centaurs from before one piece was started, Luffy asking a centaur to join, Tama shows up with minion based powers and riding a centaur. xD
    I'm still waiting for an update on that centaur girl on PH lol
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Quote Originally Posted by Marcotty View Post
    To elaborate a little bit, I was very dismissive towards Jinbe joining the crew from fishman island to WCI, because it felt to me that there were too many rules that stood against him joining. Jinbe breaking those rules broadens the idea of who can become a crew member now that we're in the New World. The main ones I was always hooked up on were:

A) "The flashback" - idk how other people think of it, but I would never call Jinbe's flashback, "Jinbe's flashback" like I do every other Strawhat's. It's the "Fisher Tiger flashback" minorly featuring Jinbe. I'd also call it Koala's or even Arlong's flashback before I'd call it Jinbe's. He took such a background role that I never believed it fulfilled the qualifications to be a Strawhat's flashback. He is, so now I don't think it matters much anymore.
    This was a pretty common sentiment back when Fishman Island was current. To that I say, yes, Jimbei wasn't the sole focus, but that doesn't mean the flashback is any less meaningful to what we as fans may arbitrarily count towards a "true" Straw Hat's flashback. The moment we got the name drop we were immediately clued into the fact that he had some complex history going. His connections to Arlong and the World Government alone already gave us the idea that his story was going to be far more entangled in world affairs than what the majority of the Straw Hats could offer.

Zoro, Usopp, Sanji(at first), Brook and Chopper came from far simpler back grounds/upbringings and didn't have close relations to people who were front and center surrounding some controversial politics. Jimbei had Otohime and Tiger as mentors, two people who were trying to change the world. Naturally the selfless man who tries to carry every burden known to man would explain everything related to Fishman Island and not focus so much on himself. Nami asked what was up and he covered a variety of events where he had a lot or minimal involvement.

Now maybe people wanted more and I am certain there is more to come but during the Fishman Island flash back Jimbei got what every other Straw Hat got. Jimbei inherited a will from a mentor(2 in this case) who could no longer carry on.

B) "The Dream" - So Jinbe's dream is the same as the general FI important characters? The safety and freedom for their people to live on the surface? Really don't see how joining the strawhats is supposed to help with that. Now, all the strawhats are together first and formost because they're friends, which Jinbe definitely fulfills. It's just that none of the other's have their dream/goal actively hurt by being a part of the crew either. I guess the dream isn't as important as I'd once thought and it just matters that you have one at all.
    I was asked once "We as readers know Luffy will change the world for the better but how could Jimbei?" Darn near 10 years ago I didn't have an answer but since Whole Cake we have a very clear answer. Jimbei reads the news. Jimbei see's Luffy and his actions as we do. He sees how country after country is liberated after Luffy puts his best fist forward. He most definitely heard White Beard's dying words and knows that Luffy is the one who is going to turn the world upside down and change the status quo. Every crew mate has absolute faith in Luffy. Why wouldn't Jimbei?

C) "Responsibilities" - Jinbe always seemed too responsible and too mature to just quit on the Sun Pirates or Fishman Island to me. The intro of the Grand Fleet opened up the idea that he'd just join that and take his crew back to FI to defend it as representatives of the Strawhat Pirates. Didn't think Oda had another satisfying way to relieve Jinbe of these duties, but I guess it didn't really matter. If it's clear you really like the Strawhats, your supporting cast will step down and tell you to stay with them.
    Since the beginning Jimbei has had such an overwhelming sense of personal responsibility. So much so that multiple characters across several arcs have pointed it out. His crew are New World pirates and they all want him to live his own life. They aren't helpless and they all recognize the self sacrificing actions he's done for Fishmen his whole life and want him to be free of all that. Still he isn't giving up on Fishman Island and his people in the slightest. I mean he can't do things the busted legal warlord way anymore and hasn't been able to in the last 2 story years. He's gonna do things the Straw Hat way, victory is guaranteed. We know it and he knows it.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Discovered Stowaway

C) "Color Representation" - I still don't know what color Jinbe's gonna represent. Granted, maybe he's finally decided Sanji's not "blue" anymore. Doesn't matter I guess, but I do desire to know many of the Strawhat SBS Trivia Traits for Jinbe.

Obviously there's still the base, "Must spend time with and bond with the Strawhats for an arc or more" and "Bring something different to the crew" general traits. Those just seem too broad at this point to really help narrow things down anymore, at least for me.
    Those never bothered me. For one, Jimbei's flashback was important because it was how he didn't go down the same path as Arlong despite what happened to their mutual idol. Also his dream evolved beyond just being a Fishkind ambassador, but inheriting the will to protect Luffy. As for his responsibilities, now that Luffy's the one protecting Fishman Island with his name, and Big Mom's lost so much of her reach, that's not really a factor, especially with that bridge burned so Jimbei can't just go back to her to ask her to keep protecting it. As for his color, I don't really put much into that compared to elements in terms of how I break it down for each one but Sanji would strike me as black, not blue, but then probably others would think Robin was more of the dark one so...yeah. It's not necessarily that he brings new stuff to the table (which he absolutely does regardless) but his skills are just freaking indispensable at this point. I don't think there's been anyone else who was that big a shoe-in for nakama since Franky.

Discovered Stowaway

It is generally accepted here on Arlong Park that Jinbe's flashback "will happen later".

Which is very ironic now that I think about it...

If we're going by color representation, we're notably missing brown. We got a goopy guy this arc who could bring fifty shades of brown to the crew.
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    It is generally accepted here on Arlong Park that Jinbe's flashback "will happen later".

Not really sure what's so ironic about it.

Jinbe is already an established character with an actual history that Oda hasn't shown us yet. Even if we don't get his backstory, the hints of it are already there. Oda doesn't have to answer them, just the fact that the intrigue is there. That's basic characterization 101 right there. The argument for Jinbei's backstory is much stronger because of his connections, hints and the general gist of "yea Jinbei has been to places".

By comparison, Carrot doesn't have that level of connection or implication. Nothing to really expand upon. Her one-panel flashback with Pedro didn't elevate her character and give her some depth or anything that made her character more intriguing. The argument that she will get a flashback after is in fact created without any sort of evidence other than "it will happen later".

How people STILL see Jinbei and Carrot on the same level is completely beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post

Jinbe is already an established character with an actual history that Oda hasn't shown us yet. Even if we don't get his backstory, the hints of it are already there. Oda doesn't have to answer them, just the fact that the intrigue is there. That's basic characterization 101 right there. The argument for Jinbei's backstory is much stronger because of his connections, hints and the general gist of "yea Jinbei has been to places".

By comparison, Carrot doesn't have that level of connection or implication. Nothing to really expand upon. Her one-panel flashback with Pedro didn't elevate her character and give her some depth or anything that made her character more intriguing. The argument that she will get a flashback after is in fact created without any sort of evidence other than "it will happen later".

How people STILL see Jinbei and Carrot on the same level is completely beyond me.
    I've not necessarily said that Carrot is on the same level as Jinbe. I've personally said in my reply to you that there's clearly something Oda wants to do with her character from the New Dawn, Pedro's last words, and much needed resolution with the Big Mom Pirates, which might come sooner than later. She's kind of an opened field of possibilities of where her character can go from here. It's expected people such as myself would assume that it could lead her to join the Straw Hats.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post

While I don't speak for others, I can offer my own perspective.

Firstly, I don't see Carrot on the same level as Jinbei. Jinbei is well established, so there's really no comparison to any character introduced to us within the last couple arcs.

That being said, Jinbei's introduction to us was not really established as Strawhat material. While in retrospect, he exhibits all the values that we come to know a Strawhat by, he was also in a position far greater than Luffy and we would have not valued him as a subordinate, let alone an equal. He was a captain of his own crew, after all. For all we knew, he was simply going to be an ally, like Boa Hancock or Rayleigh. We can safely say now that it is not an issue, it was definitely something that was considered in the way of him ever being considered a Strawhat. It was an element of disconnection that kept us from even considering him as Strawhat material. We wouldn't have guessed it because we couldn't have guessed it - he was way out of Luffy's league at the time.

That being said, we all look back now and we see all the values. We don't look at him being Shichibukai as an issue. We don't see him being a Captain as an issue. We don't see him being a prominent leader of the Fishmen as an issue. We just see Jinbei and his connection to Luffy over the years. That's what we value.

When looking at potential characters and crewmates (and there's been tons), we now look at those same values that each Strawhat exhibited before them. But what we tend to glaze over are the limitations, the things that got in the way, all the restrictions that were removed. And I think that's where a character like Carrot fits into the picture.

Every potential character has to be given some slack, because ODA will intentionally have some kind of 'character flaw' in place that circumvents our expectations. That is what we should expect. For Tama, I personally think it is her age. For Kinemon, it's that we already have a Swordsman on the crew. For Carrot, it's her lack of Luffy interaction and lack of focus in the story. But that's just what we observe as a reader. Those are intentionally there to mislead us into thinking certain things. Some are obvious, other things will be red herrings. And by that, I say we simply don't know enough.

Looking back at Jinbei, I can confidently say no one would suggest that he was going to be Strawhat. I mean back then, it would be like suggesting Law was going to join the Strawhat crew, and he even had more of a stake for that considering he actually did have a flashback. I'm not saying the chances are the same, but from a reader point of view, we never really would have expected Jinbei to join back then on the same basis we are using to disregard current potential characters.

By all means, the only way we really know which character fits and doesn't fit is... in retrospect of them already joining. Otherwise the 'we will know it when we see it' means nothing, because we knew Jinbei back then and we totally didn't see it until it practically already happened. On the basis of Jinbei pre-timeskip, I don't think the guesses would have been solid enough to really know he was going to join as 10th Strawhat. Looking at the characters we get now, it's clear that we are given plenty of Strawhat potentials for the sake of 'jading' our expectations. Dressrosa did this fantastically, introducing us to dozens of characters, many of which ended up being part of the Grand Fleet. Yet I remember seeing all the theories of X or Y being potential Strawhat material. I never personally agreed with any of them, but I don't disregard anyone's opinion on them either. I simply consider that they all have potential for being a Strawhat, because Oda purposefully seeds those same qualities into every one of them for the purpose of curbing our expectations.

I personally feel like what is happening now is a lot of people are playing the skepticism card on the basis of not wanting to be wrong. I don't think being right or wrong is any matter of importance, because the story can shift for a character in the span of a chapter. I think it is important to freely share opinions, because it tells us what our thoughts and feelings are during certain points of time. It's a good measure of how the story impacts the readers, and who people favour character-wise and who people want to see as a new member. That's what I would invest my energy into, rather than waiting like a hawk for that one Strawhat moment just so I can say 'AH-HA!'.
    Last edited by Triceron; May 22nd, 2019 at 07:09 PM.

Discovered Stowaway

Oh, boy, Robby's gonna have a field day

Quote Originally Posted by RomanceDawn View Post
    This was a pretty common sentiment back when Fishman Island was current. To that I say, yes, Jimbei wasn't the sole focus, but that doesn't mean the flashback is any less meaningful to what we as fans may arbitrarily count towards a "true" Straw Hat's flashback. The moment we got the name drop we were immediately clued into the fact that he had some complex history going. His connections to Arlong and the World Government alone already gave us the idea that his story was going to be far more entangled in world affairs than what the majority of the Straw Hats could offer.

Zoro, Usopp, Sanji(at first), Brook and Chopper came from far simpler back grounds/upbringings and didn't have close relations to people who were front and center surrounding some controversial politics. Jimbei had Otohime and Tiger as mentors, two people who were trying to change the world. Naturally the selfless man who tries to carry every burden known to man would explain everything related to Fishman Island and not focus so much on himself. Nami asked what was up and he covered a variety of events where he had a lot or minimal involvement.

Now maybe people wanted more and I am certain there is more to come but during the Fishman Island flash back Jimbei got what every other Straw Hat got. Jimbei inherited a will from a mentor(2 in this case) who could no longer carry on.

I was asked once "We as readers know Luffy will change the world for the better but how could Jimbei?" Darn near 10 years ago I didn't have an answer but since Whole Cake we have a very clear answer. Jimbei reads the news. Jimbei see's Luffy and his actions as we do. He sees how country after country is liberated after Luffy puts his best fist forward. He most definitely heard White Beard's dying words and knows that Luffy is the one who is going to turn the world upside down and change the status quo. Every crew mate has absolute faith in Luffy. Why wouldn't Jimbei?

Since the beginning Jimbei has had such an overwhelming sense of personal responsibility. So much so that multiple characters across several arcs have pointed it out. His crew are New World pirates and they all want him to live his own life. They aren't helpless and they all recognize the self sacrificing actions he's done for Fishmen his whole life and want him to be free of all that. Still he isn't giving up on Fishman Island and his people in the slightest. I mean he can't do things the busted legal warlord way anymore and hasn't been able to in the last 2 story years. He's gonna do things the Straw Hat way, victory is guaranteed. We know it and he knows it.
    Thanks, you guys have given me a better perspective on how to look at Jinbei. I've kinda been stuck on him being "the boring strawhat that I have to accept is a strawhat even if I don't like it" since WCI made it unquestionable.

I honestly haven't even thought of there being more backstory to Jinbei that we haven't seen before. Nothing really stood out to me to make me think there's another event that drastically stands out in his life that will be made relevant to us later on.

Now I see a bigger difference from Carrot's time in the story so far. Not enough to make me assume she's out though, since we have a long way to go before Wano's done. She feels kinda like Oda's attempting to introduce a strawhat and do all their "strawhat material" in current times, if that makes sense. I have a bit of a hard time imagining this arc ending and Carrot not being asked if she wants to keep traveling with them or not. Unless Carrot is given some new important job in the minks that she feels she can't say no to.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    While I don't speak for others, I can offer my own perspective.

Looking back at Jinbei, I can confidently say no one would suggest that he was going to be Strawhat.

...because we knew Jinbei back then and we totally didn't see it until it practically already happened. On the basis of Jinbei pre-timeskip, I don't think the guesses would have been solid enough to really know he was going to join as 10th Strawhat.
    Robby is usually the one to take us down memory lane but there was one guy here... One legendary individual who I miss reading from a ton. Before Jimbei actually appeared on panel BrennenExe made a very compelling case about Jimbei being a Straw Hat that many of us didn't buy. This was like in 2008 mind you at the beginning of Impel Down! Brennen proposed so much that ended up being true it was ridiculous! And it all came down to just really analyzing how Oda did things since 97.

I am totally on board with the idea that the moment the next crew mate shows him or her self we will know it right away.

I honestly haven't even thought of there being more backstory to Jinbei that we haven't seen before. Nothing really stood out to me to make me think there's another event that drastically stands out in his life that will be made relevant to us later on.
    I forgot who first brought it up, probably Robby cause he mentions it so much but during the Fishman Island flash back many of us waited week after week to see how Jimbei was going to get that scar on his eye. The flash back came and went with chunks of time missing and no explanation about the scar what so ever. Think about our crew mates who suffered something that left a life long scar. We know how Luffy got his eye and chest scars, we know how Chopper got his metal band aid for his horn, we know about Nami's tattoo, we know about Franky's everything and we know about Zoro's chest and ankle scars. Brook is still a mystery but the fact that he had that scar on his forehead before becoming a pirate is probably telling enough that we will find out more about his time as a guard or what have you for that mysterious kingdom.

Then you have the karate dojo that was almost promised to us by Hatchi and those young drawings of Jimbei in his uniform.

Lastly I proposed a few short years ago that Jimbei seems to be bit different than other Fishman. Mostly due to his style of dress. Due to the nature of what I assume were allied nations keeping Poneglyphs around I've theorized that there is a connection between Fishman Island and Wano, though more specifically Fishman Karate possibly originating at Wano. I know it sounds weird. Jimbei's clothing, his connection to White Beard and Ace who we know took visits to Wano, and now him missing out on a years worth of adventure at Wano have me very suspicious. There is something more there and I bet this is the arc that we find out all about it. Watch Kawamatsu be his cousin who he used to train with.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lastly I proposed a few short years ago that Jimbei seems to be bit different than other Fishman. Mostly due to his style of dress. Due to the nature of what I assume were allied nations keeping Poneglyphs around I've theorized that there is a connection between Fishman Island and Wano, though more specifically Fishman Karate possibly originating at Wano. I know it sounds weird. Jimbei's clothing, his connection to White Beard and Ace who we know took visits to Wano, and now him missing out on a years worth of adventure at Wano have me very suspicious. There is something more there and I bet this is the arc that we find out all about it. Watch Kawamatsu be his cousin who he used to train with.
    I think there might be something there with Kawamatsu and Jinbe's respect for WB.

He's got his backstory. He has his dream established and declared. The dream feels a little broad, but "I want to be free of responsibilities and travel with this man I admire to the end" isn't bad for the more personal bit..

But there's still a piece missing (the ten year gap where he picked up the samurai look and got his scar.) The same goes with Brook's swrodfighter days, there's a HUGE thing there we don't know about. Same with Franky's pirate father.

We don't NEED these things to finish fleshing them out and have them crew-ready, the same way we didn't need a flashback about Luffy's brothers or Sanji's original family.

But for those feeling that he's missing that extra nugget of personal detail, that probably is there waiting in the wings.

The difference is that's not a "what if Oda explores the character more" question that could apply to literally anyone. It's a "Why did Oda not give him that scar during the flashback?"

If the scar was just a generic battle scar like the one Smoker or Zoro got during the timeskip, Oda could have given it to him literally at any point during that flashback, or even during the final bit with the Queen assassinated or something. But Oda kept it off him. He purposely withheld something we can see plain as day that happened.

If it was meaningless, why hold it off? But if it has meaning, then... add in the change of demeanor and style of dress and there is factually a piece of his story missing. We're not speculating on future growth or potential, its an observation of what is actually there.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I don't understand why it couldn't be any of those characters. From my perspective, most simply lack that 'rock solid argument'. I think aside from Kinemon, there is potential in the others Ive mentioned.
    On a different day at a different time I might go into this at length but I really don't feel like explaining this all again right now. Check earlier versions of the thread, I've gone over all this stuff a million times..

But its the whole package. Design which shows enough thought to indicate backstory details on sight, introduction, dialogue, how the author handles them in general, quantity of moments to shine in a unique way, interaction with Luffy, managing to somehow be unique even in the already diverse world and cast we have. We're not going to get another animal, robot, skeleton or fishman, and if we get another human they better have something really crazy going on.

It's a lot of things. All the characters you've mentioned have fine qualities as secondary or tertiary characters, and Oda is fantastic at making characters, but none of them have the strength of Oda going full force in showing off how great this new character is, of someone he spent literally years thinking about and waiting to show. They're almost all very basic stereotypes of exactly how you'd expect Oda to draw a traditional samurai or a traditional rabbit. (He always draws white rabbits.) Kinemon the joke was extra exposed once we saw ALL the Wano characters were going to be exagerations of old Japanese styles.

Unless he's pulling another Robin where he's playing hard with the red herrings and misdirection, (and even Robin had a unique design and intrigue and a weird place in the story when she was introduced) we will know it when we see it. It won't take years of speculating "that character could eventually potentially be as interesting as all the others were on sight."

Design and introduction will be a super strong clue from the start, and interaction should very quickly make it obvious. Also, it will most likely be a WEIRD design that a lot of people DON'T like for some reason. Speedo "too weird" Franky and fat "boring" Jinbe are obvious examples. Robin aside it has never been not obvious, and Robin was super early in the series before we'd seen as much of Oda's overall style and storytelling..

The only character that has any real chance currently in the story is bone spitter guy, who hasn't actually been introduced yet, because Oda has been hiding him in shadows so long, not even showing his silhouette and making major point of hiding him, he's presumably got something really interesting planned for his design and body shape if he can't even show an outline. But his starting point is so similar to Jinbe's and he hasn't interacted with Luffy at alland he has the same ties as the other members of Kine's group, I don't think he's actually got anything going on at the moment.
    Oh, boy, Robby's gonna have a field day
    I think I'm gonna pass on this one. Just go back to the first post of Nakama thread 6 or whatever. I don't feel like explaining for the umpteenth time how Jinbe had IT before he even appeared on camera, and then constantly after he showed up. Or once again going through the list showing why every strawhat even in their first appearance was above and beyond any other character in terms of all the THINGS.

Brook is still a mystery but the fact that he had that scar on his forehead before becoming a pirate is probably telling enough that we will find out more about his time as a guard or what have you for that mysterious kingdom.
    I used to be sure on that point too... but Greg pointed out that if you look at most of the skeletons in the series, they have similar cracks. That's just kind of Oda's ingrained version of how skulls should look.

So that may or may not be an actual backstory detail if we ever get his fencing days.
    Last edited by Robby; May 23rd, 2019 at 03:48 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    If we're going by color representation, we're notably missing brown. We got a goopy guy this arc who could bring fifty shades of brown to the crew.
    Oh sure suddenly Usopp doesn't count.

I'll have you know he's from the country called Africa

Usopp is only half brown silly, he african't be the crew rep.
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Discovered Stowaway

I actually think brown can be Jinbe's color. All of the permanent colors in his design (blue, red, black) are already taken, but he often wears brown kimono, so...
    Of course, Oda could just give him a color he thinks has affinity with the character even though it's not part of his design, which I would prefer because... brown.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information