+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    I will respond more later, but thw relocation of the Minks was discussed at the end of the Zou Arc after Jack was ddfeated by Zunisha.

The Minks recognized that Zunisha was put in danger by them living there. The attack from Jack made them realize that.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

The Minks have taken for granted where they lived, now they recognize that they cannot live there any longer.

I am not taking this out of my ass, I am basing it on what the series is putting out.
    A major part of the zou arc was the reveal that the kozuki clan and minks have been friends for centuries. Since the kozuki used to rule wano and their goal is opening the borders of wano who better to start with then letting a group that has had previous ties and is super different into the country.

This is an issue relating to Wano and the minks particularly on Isolation. I understand there's a race element but Oda isnt afraid to retread previous narrative threads that have some similarities like with Sanji and Robin.

Plus what benefit is it storywise to ignore the meaning of that bond and have the zou citizens find some random place when oda can really hammer in the breaking of borders message.

Forget Carrot, what the story seems to be setting up with Zunisha's incoming demise, the Kozuki-Minks bond, Wano's Policies and Oden's dream is too narratively rich for me to be fine with any mink leading them on some random mission to find just any island.

Itd be like if Luffy rang the bell on skypiea but we never cut back to cricket and the monkeys
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    The most symbolic thing would be destroying the Empty not so Empty throne, but would that make the final war's location Mariey Joyieiye(sp?)
    If there's a scene where a bunch of zealots who are adamant about the throne being vacant come upon it and see Luffy napping in it...so awesome.

The problem is that's something we know. We know Luffy will solve all that is wrong in the world in his quest to become Pirate King, but that's not something Jinbe should know. From his perspective, being on the crew of the biggest criminal of current times shouldn't really mean "humanity will accept fishmen as equals". I mean, look how much Roger was loved by the population...

But anyways, regardless if he should be aware of that connection or not, the fact is he is because "he got a feeling".
    I admit I had forgot about that panel Blissed posted, but honestly, it kinda still works with the general point I was trying to make. If we are to assume that is Jinbe's one big dream, we are to accept his dream is the one shared by every other fishman and of which he is not even portrayed as one of the most prominent advocates - past or present -, with its defining moment being, well, that panel... (which I couldn't have really argued to be forgetabble better than by simply forgetting it... as I did). His dream is just there, is not something unique to him, and again, if we held him by the same standards as do other characters we would be using this very fact as detrimental to him as a SH.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    The problem is that's something we know. We know Luffy will solve all that is wrong in the world in his quest to become Pirate King, but that's not something Jinbe should know. From his perspective, being on the crew of the biggest criminal of current times shouldn't really mean "humanity will accept fishmen as equals". I mean, look how much Roger was loved by the population...

But anyways, regardless if he should be aware of that connection or not, the fact is he is because "he got a feeling".
    I admit I had forgot about that panel Blissed posted, but honestly, it kinda still works with the general point I was trying to make. If we are to assume that is Jinbe's one big dream, we are to accept his dream is the one shared by every other fishman and of which he is not even portrayed as one of the most prominent advocates - past or present -, with its defining moment being, well, that panel... (which I couldn't have really argued to be forgetabble better than by simply forgetting it... as I did). His dream is just there, is not something unique to him, and again, if we held him by the same standards as do other characters we would be using this very fact as detrimental to him as a SH.
    Well he's at least above Sanji whose dream is to find the all blue but has only been brought up in flashbacks since loguetown and sanji has made no canon effort to try and find it. In fact it almost works more like a wish with him since it's focused on so little
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Discovered Stowaway

Do we know how the population at large felt about Roger? Because we know how tons of places, and not just the common people, but the leadership as well, feel about Luffy, and it's resoundingly positive. Jimbei even set it up purposely for Luffy to be the hero of Fishman Island even though he could have taken out Hody himself (like how Goku could have killed Buu but let Goten and Trunks try to give the next generation motivation to work harder, the same with how Master Roshi did with him and young Krillin by beating them in the martial arts tournament so they wouldn't let being the best go to their heads and make them rest on their laurels.) Obviously Jimbei saw something in Luffy that would motivate him to prime him for that kind of thing, so he sees a horizon that even Luffy might not at the moment. He's aged and wizened, so I give him credit for being able to see a winning horse and betting the farm on it, and having it pay off in the most spectacular way.

I admit I had forgot about that panel Blissed posted, but honestly, it kinda still works with the general point I was trying to make. If we are to assume that is Jinbe's one big dream, we are to accept his dream is the one shared by every other fishman and of which he is not even portrayed as a one of the most prominent advocates - past or present -, with its defining moment being, well, that panel... (which I couldn't have really argue to be forgetabble more than by simply forgetting it... as I did). His dream is just there, is not something unique to him, and again, if we held him by the same standards as do other characters we would be using this very fact as detrimental to him as a SH.
    Amusingly, the Minks (namely through Pedro) are doing the same thing with this whole Dawn thing, just assuming that one way or another, the Straw Hats are the key to ushering it in. In fact, they're the only two races in the entire series that have people within them that hope that the Strawhats will achieve their dream somehow, based on their "feelings" as you put it. Just like how Fishman equality is a goal that extends past the Fishman Island arc, the "Dawn" very likely extends past the objectives of the Wano arc as well.

To me, I don't see Jinbe's dream as being a detriment, just simply a change from what we're used to from Oda. I think it's cool that he's willing to mess with perceived patterns. Makes it more interesting for the last member when all is said and done.

You absolute madmen. RIP Vol. 6, it's the end of an era.

I think the idea is simply about having a prominent, well-respected Fishman and a prominent, well-respected human working together as friends. It's the optics of having an example of equality and cooperation on the world's stage. I don't think Oda (and by extension Jimbei, since he's become a mouthpiece for Oda's views on racism/equality) views racism between fishmen and humans as something that is simply resolved overnight by one or two specific events like Jimbei and Luffy working together. That's one of the big takeaways of Fishman Island. It won't solve the issue, but it's certainly a step in the right direction, especially if Luffy is to become a culture defining figure like Pirate King.

Also, since I guess this is my first post in the new thread I guess I'll speak my peace.

Jimbei's a hard lock. No question. He's already joined. He's in the crew. Upon rereading WCI my opinion on Carrot has changed a bit (in that I like her a whole lot more) and I'm more open to the idea of her joining the crew. But I don't think that she will, because I don't think she's been framed as such and I agree about the points made about her design being too similar to Chopper, and generally her design being a bit uninspired. She's one of the more fleshed out supporting characters in the series, but she has barely been the focus since she's entered the series (and I don't mean in terms of the plot, I mean in terms of the pathos and her character arc). She just hasn't been given the same focus the other members of the crew have, and it this point, nearly 100 chapters after her introduction, it feels too late for that.

I'm cautiously optimistic for Shutenmaru. Oda's doing that 'namedrop before introduction' thing which is an immediate red flag to me. And I expect him to be linked to the core conflict of Wano given what we know, which is promising. But we'll see what happens when he actually shows up.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Been noticing how the series is giving each SH more uniqueness than they all already have.
    we have the son of the most wanted man on earth, a prince, the son of a notorious member in Shanks crew, the survivor of ohara and only person on earth capable of reading poneghlyps, a 'mink-like' capable of doing 7 sulongs, a cyborg who had the chance to play with Vegapunks toys, bassically the strongest pacifista atm, and an ex-member of the ouka shichibukai to join. all of them which are big news for Morganz to introduce the crew in newspaper once we get over Kaido.

Nami, Zoro and Brook currently have not much going for them, but it seems we're going to know some very cool stuff about Zoro with hints like 'I had to retreat because of the aura of that man'. Brook also seems like he's constantly hiding stuff.

however, all Carrot, Bonney, Kuma and Pudding seem all burdened by already sets of the SH's, either by connections with the revolutionaries, fur, yonko, voat, etc.

so in my perspective, what would reallly make sense, would be someone from the marines, since its the only thing lacking in the crew, everything else is in the crew, the grand fleet, or simply out of my mind.

Talking about the Strawhats's dreams, it's clear that all of them have one, but it's hard to put their dreams together in the same standard.

For instance, you have Chopper, whose dream is to become a "great doctor who can cure any disease". Well, I do feel Hiluluk's idealism in Chopper's dream, but in all honesty that's a pretty lazy idea for a dream and it's basically there to check a box, especially because it has barely taken any tangible shape as the story moved forward from Drum. In comparison, Zoro's dream was equally generic at the start, but it soon took shape in the form of Mihawk, and you can also see Zoro becoming a better swordsman throughout his journay (not only in power level, but many of his fights are about virtues of the Bushido).

Usopp has a great dream of becoming a brave warrior of the sea, which I like very much and the character has developed around this idea, but that's also really vague in meaning even today.

Then you have Sanji, whose dream is barely ever mentioned and it's kinda weird too. I'm sure Oda has a great idea for the All Blue when the time comes, but I never really understood this particular dream. Let's see, the logic here is that it would be great to find a sea where all types of fish exist because Sanji is a cook. Well, I guess that would be pretty cool, but what does he plan to do after he finds the All Blue? Open a restaurant in this sea where nobody lives in? Or maybe he will live there with the Strawhats? Or maybe they'll stay there for a few days and cook 3% of the species living there and then get out?
    There are some pretty cool theories about the All Blue (like that one about destroying the Red Line), but right now it is just a dream to check the box.

Brook's dream to meet Laboon again is only valid because it is phrased in a way that "he should cross the entire Grand Line before reuniting with his friend". Very romantic indeed.

Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー┤)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

That's a funny series of pictures, but what do they have to do with what Oda actually drew?

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Just look into the pudding

Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー┤)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

I thought we agreed not to make a new thread until a viable candidate showed up?

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicań of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

Okay so after a little more thought I'm gonna make the case for Shutenmaru because I'm bored but also I want the receipts if this ends up being right.

So here's thing. Oda doing this namedrop thing is a definite indicator that he will be an important character this arc. And, even based on what little we know, him stealing from the only clean farm in Wano, under the control of Kaido, directly links him to the central conflict of the arc (Wano is in famine due to Kaido and Orochi) and puts him directly at odds with Kaido. Every single member of the crew so far has had their own motivation for being involved their arc's plot outside of 'help Luffy' (i.e. Carrot). The antagonists in each arc a member joins directly threaten that member specifically. Helmeppo was going to execute Zoro, Usopp and Sanji's homes were threatened by Kuro and Krieg respectively, Nami was enslaved and ultimately betrayed by Arlong, Chopper's father figure was killed by Wapol and Chopper wants to defend Hiriluk's memory, Robin and Franky were going to be tortured and imprisoned under Spandam, Brook had his shadow stolen at the hands of Moria. Every single time the new member of the crew has their own motivation for taking down the antagonist, who Luffy and co. in turn get involved with and ultimately defeat, helping resolve the new member's conflict.

That's exactly what Shutenmaru is being lined up for. He has already been directly linked to the famine plot, and therefor has his own motivation for taking down the arc's antagonist(s), and that conflict will be resolved when Luffy takes down Kaido (assuming Kaido is, in fact, taken down in Wano and doesn't get kicked down the road to Elbaf for some reason).

This is also conjecture based on maybe 3 lines of dialogue, so we'll see what happens when he shows up in a few chapters. But yeah, I think things are promising for Shutenmaru.

Quote Originally Posted by JDub View Post
    Okay so after a little more thought I'm gonna make the case for Shutenmaru because I'm bored but also I want the receipts if this ends up being right.

So here's thing. Oda doing this namedrop thing is a definite indicator that he will be an important character this arc. And, even based on what little we know, him stealing from the only clean farm in Wano, under the control of Kaido, directly links him to the central conflict of the arc (Wano is in famine due to Kaido and Orochi) and puts him directly at odds with Kaido. Every single member of the crew so far has had their own motivation for being involved their arc's plot outside of 'help Luffy' (i.e. Carrot). The antagonists in each arc a member joins directly threaten that member specifically. Helmeppo was going to execute Zoro, Usopp and Sanji's homes were threatened by Kuro and Krieg respectively, Nami was enslaved and ultimately betrayed by Arlong, Chopper's father figure was killed by Wapol and Chopper wants to defend Hiriluk's memory, Robin and Franky were going to be tortured and imprisoned under Spandam, Brook had his shadow stolen at the hands of Moria. Every single time the new member of the crew has their own motivation for taking down the antagonist, who Luffy and co. in turn get involved with and ultimately defeat, helping resolve the new member's conflict.

That's exactly what Shutenmaru is being lined up for. He has already been directly linked to the famine plot, and therefor has his own motivation for taking down the arc's antagonist(s), and that conflict will be resolved when Luffy takes down Kaido (assuming Kaido is, in fact, taken down in Wano and doesn't get kicked down the road to Elbaf for some reason).

This is also conjecture based on maybe 3 lines of dialogue, so we'll see what happens when he shows up in a few chapters. But yeah, I think things are promising for Shutenmaru.
    Plus there's the fact he might be based off the Yokai king Shuten-dōji
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuten-d%C5%8Dji

which would certainly make him/her unique enough to join the crew

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicań of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

Quote Originally Posted by JDub View Post

Going off your logic, Jinbe, who has pretty much joined, breaks this pattern. Hody and Vander Decken never specifically targeted him. Even if you want to stretch it as being WCI or even Wano as being the arc that he actually joins, that still wouldn't apply to Jinbe. And we've had several characters who've wanted to take down the antagonist: Vivi, Rebecca, Momo, etc. etc. It's never been a Strawhat exclusive thing, especially in the New World arcs. I'm absolutely not saying that he has no chance (We haven't even met him lol), just that he's in good company here is all. In just the Wano arc itself, he's no different from Kin'emon, Momo, and the others in Momo's entourage, three of whom amusingly have had their names dropped ahead of time as well. What ultimately matters nowadays for new candidates as far as motivations go IMO is if they have a goal or dream that actually extends past the arc(s) they're introduced in. Like Tama would be a perfect example of this if it weren't for her age.

The enemy of Fishman Island was racism. Hody was just a medium. The thing that needed to happen was for the citizens to trust humans. Jimbe wants to bring harmony between these two races, and breaking through that fear was what Jimbe and Luffy accomplished. I think you can say it fits. I mean Hody was a racist too, and he was the prime antagonist.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by choperman View Post
    I thought we agreed not to make a new thread until a viable candidate showed up?
    Who's viable and who isn't is subjective, but Wano's set to be a major turning point in the story, so I thought it better to have a fresh thread to reflect that.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I appreciate your perception of adventure and romance, and I suppose Luffy could be a real estate broker if he was not a pirate, or maybe a truck driver, but I really don't see Carrot's dream being to move her folk to another island and enjoying this thrilling experience. I guess we should just disagree here and move on.
    ? What? Luffy, the truck driver? I do not get what you are saying.

Anyways, you missed the point. Carrot's dream is to travel the world. What incorporating finding a home for her people would do, is to make her selfish dream to gain a noble aspect to it. Going through all the islands is the experience of adventure she wants, and as a plus, she is also helping the Minks, win-win situation.

And the manga is ending since Laftel is really close now, sure, but that doesn't mean that the Strawhats perceive that as the end of their adventure together. How is Nami drawing a world map with just a few more islands to go? What if Sanji doesn't find the All Blue before Laftel (we know that he will soon, but he doesn't)?
    Other maps exist, she can buy maps. What is important is that she is the one that navigates around the world, and she is going to trace the path around that. All Blue seems to be something that will occur within the series, unlike the potential of Nami completing the rest of maps if she indeed wanted to travel the entire globe, and visit each island personally. But most, if not all of the Straw Hats dreams will be concluded within the scope of the final war.

What matter is that getting onboard the Sunny is the biggest adventure there is, even if the series is about to end.
    Absolutely. Agreed.

Nobody is gonna think "I shouldn't become a Strawhat now if I want adventures".
    No one is thinking that.

It's not comparable because you don't want to,
    No, it is not as comparable because those scenarios are all for gags. Literally each and everyone of those has someone overreacting.

Something closer to it would be if Luffy said: Chopper you can also change color?! and Chopper overreacting telling Luffy that the Minks are not him.

The scene was not in that tone. It was not played for gags, no one was losing their minds. It was a simple remark.

just as you can't guarantee that Oda is speaking through Luffy (especially when Luffy is acting in-character). If that's your interpretation, it's fine, man, no worries, because this kind of stuff is completely open to interpretation. However, it's not a fact. For instance, my interpretation is that an artist that studied illustration and design as much as Oda has a better understandment than "furry talking animal"... especially when the two characters in discussion are a chibi-mascot-plushie-thing and the other a girl with bunny traits.
    I tend to think that author's share their values and their ideas through their work.

That is but one of Chopper's forms, his arm point falls in the category of boy with reindeer traits.

Hidden:

I do not disagree with you, I am sure Oda does have a more complex idea in the matter. And I think he clearly shows that with Chopper, having several different forms. Chopper encompasses quite a bit of the spectrum.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    A major part of the zou arc was the reveal that the kozuki clan and minks have been friends for centuries. Since the kozuki used to rule wano and their goal is opening the borders of wano who better to start with then letting a group that has had previous ties and is super different into the country.

This is an issue relating to Wano and the minks particularly on Isolation. I understand there's a race element but Oda isnt afraid to retread previous narrative threads that have some similarities like with Sanji and Robin.

Plus what benefit is it storywise to ignore the meaning of that bond and have the zou citizens find some random place when oda can really hammer in the breaking of borders message.

Forget Carrot, what the story seems to be setting up with Zunisha's incoming demise, the Kozuki-Minks bond, Wano's Policies and Oden's dream is too narratively rich for me to be fine with any mink leading them on some random mission to find just any island.
    And this is a good argument of why the Minks and the citizens of Zou should live together. Looking forward to Oden's flashback. Perhaps how Oden was going to destroy the country was by allowing the Minks to live there while he was the Shogun, but there was a big clash against it. I mean why weren't they living together already?, I could see the potential danger with the Minks having a transformation they have to train to control.

What I would like to know is if it is already too late to open Wano's borders. Not because they will fail, but because of the confrontation that is about to occur. Some of the facts we know.

There is a shortage of food.
    Most of the country is a wasteland.
    The water and animals are poisonous.

Add on to that the simple collateral from the fight against Kaido, if the fight against Doffy is anything to go by. Also if Oda plays some of his cards, what is preventing the Beast Pirates from unleashing more poison gas as they did in Zou? And the looming threat of Big Mom.

There is also a message about isolation with forcing the citizens of Wano to leave their country. They never allowed anyone in, but now they are seeking refuge. They have become what they wanted to avoid.

So the only thing I would change about the idea is: The Minks and the people from Wano look for a place for them to live together.

I agree that Zunisha is going to be taken down though. I imagine Momo coming in at Kaido, ordering Zunisha to strike him, for the latter to just block it and flip Zunisha over by the trunk for the slam down.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Just look into the pudding

https://i.imgur.com/pv8jGbl.jpg
    ...You do realize I can now kick you out of this thread if I think you're just being random and spammy, right?

You like Pudding, fine. But keep things on-point from now on, and don't just post percentages and pics without reasoning behind it.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information