+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

Discovered Stowaway Big Black Hole's Avatar

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    No, I get that you don't think she'll join, that's all well and good. What I don't get is how you can think a little 8-year-old with no battle prowess is a less crazy choice.
    You got me here, Shift.

It was a needlessly provocative statement, my intention was probably to ridicule Carrot fans and that's overblown. I'm sorry.

Still, O-tama would have had some kind of "Child Bonus". Than people would answer "But the crew's nestling is Chopper". That analogy though would backfire since Carrot has numerous other attributes which makes herself some kind of Chopper clone. And then we're at it again.

I still think it's likelier that someone in Wano would join. The arc will probably account for a really huge number of chapters and than we lilely don't have the time for another big "joining arc" besides Elbaf. For economic reasons, I think would lift pressure of Oda if he were to close the open membership question's at the latest at Wano or Elbaf. Since Wano is likely the bigger of the two arc's (and we still have much to see here in terms of regions and characters), the opportunity here for one last crewmember is bigger in my opinion. Jinbe's joining is all but formalized by now at least.

Carrot's still never gonna join the crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Black Hole View Post
    You got me here, Shift.

It was a needlessly provocative statement, my intention was probably to ridicule Carrot fans and that's overblown. I'm sorry.
    It's okay. Thanks for saying that. :)

I still think it's likelier that someone in Wano would join. The arc will probably account for a really huge number of chapters and than we lilely don't have the time for another big "joining arc" besides Elbaf. For economic reasons, I think would lift pressure of Oda if he were to close the open membership question's at the latest at Wano or Elbaf. Since Wano is likely the bigger of the two arc's (and we still have much to see here in terms of regions and characters), the opportunity here for one last crewmember is bigger in my opinion. Jinbe's joining is all but formalized by now at least.
    It's quite possible, there's still some time before the Fire Festival. There's the mysterious Shutenmaru and the whereabouts (and current age) of Lady Hiyori to consider. The possibilities are still open.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    3DS FC: 4468-0979-5223 / Wii U ID: JSHerstein

Wasn't it suggested that Tama would 'super grow' up by the end of Wano?
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by ArmamentHero View Post
    Wasn't it suggested that Tama would 'super grow' up by the end of Wano?
    The Time Time Fruit wouldn't do that, it can only bring someone at their current age to a point in the future, as that's what happened to Momo.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

The Time Time Fruit wouldn't do that, it can only bring someone at their current age to a point in the future, as that's what happened to Momo.
    Though I was kidding and reminiscing about a suggestion from a little while back, you are correct.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

No, I get that you don't think she'll join, that's all well and good. What I don't get is how you can think a little 8-year-old with no battle prowess is a less crazy choice.
    The difference here is that Otama support has already pretty much died, while arguments against all logic for Carrot keep persisting.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    The difference here is that Otama support has already pretty much died, while arguments against all logic for Carrot keep persisting.
    That tends to happen with characters who are still part of the story and somewhat viable.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

Pedro's death affected Brooke, Nami, and Chopper as well.
    Yeah, but his final words were to Carrot.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Yes and that's the difference: Some people enjoy certain characters so much that they're looking for the smallest indicators/supposed "confirmations" why said person would become a permanent part of the story. Other people are looking at the story itself and indicators for who will become a regular and then base their theories around that. I feel like support for any characters introduced within the last couple of years belongs to the first category.
    I liked Carrot from the start, but I didn't think she would actually join until Pedro blew up and passed on his will. Then She spent so much time in the crow's nest, and then came the vol. 88 cover to support that theory. So its by looking at the story that I came to the conclusion that she would join. Not just because I like her as a character.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Well to be fair, IF a Wano citizen is to become the next crewmate, his/her flashback probably overlaps a lot with the most recent history of Wano. We are still owed a proper flashback about Oden that was suspiciously left out when Kinemon explained everything to the Straw Hats. Carrot is currently only relevant to the plot because she just returned with the Straw Hats and the Minks are allied. She doesn't have any super personal business there.
    Carrot will also be involved in the inevitable "new dawn" explanation, as per what Pedro told her.
    Last edited by AvocadoInTheRain; October 11th, 2018 at 01:50 PM.

Purely coincidence

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoInTheRain View Post
    I liked Carrot from the start, but I didn't think she would actually join until Pedro blew up and passed on his will. Then She spent so much time ib the crow's nest, and then came the vol. 88 cover to support that theory.
    Exactly. Thanks for proving my point.

Carrot will also be involved in the inevitable "new dawn" explanation, as per what Pedro told her.
    The point was however not understanding how Carrot could not be further explored within the Wano arc due to it being supposedly too packed. If I remember your arguments right, the whole "new dawn" shenanigans is about the Straw Hats being/contributing to it in the long run, by finding One Piece or whatever, and not exclusively tied to Wano. So I don't see how her involvement in that matter relates to her relevance during the Wano arc, especially if it's only an explanation about what exactly the New Dawn is supposed to be.
    Last edited by Coookie; October 11th, 2018 at 01:57 PM.

3DS Friendcode: 1547 - 5175 - 1342

Exactly. Thanks for proving my point.
    I guess I don't know what you mean by "the smallest indicators" then, because it took some pretty big things for me to think she would join. Especially since you were talking about that in the context of Perona. Perona never had a fraction of what Carrot has going for her.

The point was however not understanding how Carrot could not be further explored within the Wano arc due to it being supposedly too packed. If I remember your arguments right, the whole "new dawn" shenanigans is about the Straw Hats being/contributing to it in the long run, by finding One Piece or whatever, and not exclusively tied to Wano. So I don't see how her involvement in that matter relates to her relevance during the Wano arc, especially if it's only an explanation about what exactly the New Dawn is supposed to be.
    Whatever the deal with the 'new dawn" will end up being, we know it will involve Carrot because of What Pedro told her before he died. That's the only point I'm making.

Purely coincidence

Perona has a defined relationship with both Zoro and Usopp, which is one more Straw Hat than Carrot has a defined relationship with (Chopper) lol. Even if she wasn't important to the plot, Perona at least stood out a ton thanks to her design, personality, and powers. The argument for her was still bad, but since she was already cool enough on her own people didn't try to play up every little minor thing like with Carrot.
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

but if the Dawn is logically connected to the One Piece, it'll involve the entire world, not just Carrot.

Perona has a defined relationship with both Zoro and Usopp, which is one more Straw Hat than Carrot has a defined relationship with (Chopper) lol. Even if she wasn't important to the plot, Perona at least stood out a ton thanks to her design, personality, and powers. The argument for her was still bad, but since she was already cool enough on her own people didn't try to play up every little minor thing like with Carrot.
    Again. I think we're using different definitions of "minor" because I don't see how her mentor passing her his will with his dying breath, and her having a clear role on the ship can be described as minor little things when talking about someone's chances of joining. Also, Carrot has a defined relationship with Nami and Sanji too.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    but if the Dawn is logically connected to the One Piece, it'll involve the entire world, not just Carrot.
    The poneglyph will involve the entire world too, but those are still connected primarily to Robin.

Purely coincidence

Her relationship with Nami is "they're girls so they hang out" and her relationship with Sanji is "they're comfortable enough to cheer each other up over Pedro". With Chopper, there's more of a big brother-little sister dynamic that's used throughout WCI and not just barely existent like those other two.

Also you're making the assumption that Pedro is actually dead. When are they ever actually dead.
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

I guess I don't know what you mean by "the smallest indicators" then, because it took some pretty big things for me to think she would join. Especially since you were talking about that in the context of Perona. Perona never had a fraction of what Carrot has going for her.
    Oh, that wasn't really about Perona anymore, it's just a general habit of this thread. Perona is just one of many examples. Also, people obviously disagree about what big things are and what not.

Again. I think we're using different definitions of "minor" because I don't see how her mentor passing her his will with his dying breath, and her having a clear role on the ship can be described as minor little things when talking about someone's chances of joining. Also, Carrot has a defined relationship with Nami and Sanji too.
    I don't think Carrot even has the same kind of intimate relationship and admiration that all the other Straw Hats have shown towards their "mentor". And what kind of defined relationship does Carrot have with Nami and Sanji, and most important of all, Luffy?

3DS Friendcode: 1547 - 5175 - 1342

Yes and that's the difference: Some people enjoy certain characters so much that they're looking for the smallest indicators/supposed "confirmations" why said person would become a permanent part of the story. Other people are looking at the story itself and indicators for who will become a regular and then base their theories around that. I feel like support for any characters introduced within the last couple of years belongs to the first category.
    I didn’t care about Carrot from the start nor was I even involved in the next Nakama debates until that Pedro incident. I was even ambivalent since I sort of saw it as a waste that Oda wanted to make a tomboyish fun girl character involved heavily in the plot for the first time but then have her also be a sexy girl. This isn’t even me knocking on her design like everyone else here does, I can never understand the whole she isn’t unique or whatever people complain about. I just thought the personality would’ve been better in a less sexy body but then merchandising is a thing so. I chuck this up to a preference NOT some kind of factual argument.

Now of course, the actual arguments began after the Pedro thing. At that point, it just flashed in my head that Oda is going somewhere with this character and he did as the story went on. Around this time is when I discovered that this next nakama arguments had been happening thinking I was gonna be the first to announce that Oda might make Carrot the next. Thankfully I arrived at the tail end of the Pudding thing because I would’ve vehemently been opposed to that. So that’s about it.

I only got into this thing because Oda beat me over the head with it. And online, people had already created their ridiculous criteria about who should join and I even ended up agreeing with a few but quickly came to realize that people were using them as doctrines of some sort. That’s when I stepped away from analyzing covers or how or why characters have been joining or whatthey look like or whatever. I fully believed that Jinbei was joining and he barely followed any of those nonsense doctrines and the moment I, personally, analyzed Jinbei’s arc and why it’s different from the “criteria” of the old crew, I found that it’s quite smart of Oda not to rehash the old stuff and he probably couldn’t even actually do it anymore with how the story is going. Around then is when I found the parallels between what Oda is doing with jinbei and Carrot and that’s when I got convinced that I had cracked it.

I don’t actually think at this point that it’s a question of if she’ll join for me. It’s as certain as Jinbei. But of course when I get into arguments here with people flinging their criteria around like a gospel, I don’t respond by making my observations gospels. I posted them here once and that’s that. All I do know is argue against these “gospels” for fun and I guess I can get rude but that’s what happens when most of these “arguments” look like nothing to me.

A Logia would a fine addition to the crew.
    croc .......

no but seriously is there a logia that fits the 2 9 theory???

EDIT: Also whatever side ends up being right about carrot joining/not joining is gonna have bragging privileges for a long time
    Last edited by choperman; October 11th, 2018 at 08:02 PM.

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

The way I see it, if Carrot really was supposed to be the last crewmember, the time for her and Luffy to bond would have been at the start of the Arc. Instead, Luffy bonded more with Tama, then he ever even acknowledged Carrot (Not saying Tama is going to join), and then she's barely visible in the allied forces panel.

I mean...that kind of says it all, really.

Her relationship with Nami is "they're girls so they hang out" and her relationship with Sanji is "they're comfortable enough to cheer each other up over Pedro".
    I mean, you said that Perona and Usopp have a "defined relationship" and literally the only interaction they had outside of a regular fight was when Perona told Usopp to cheer up. If that counts, then those two definitely count.

Also you're making the assumption that Pedro is actually dead. When are they ever actually dead.
    You still going on about this? I thought everyone had given up on that point by now. Even Robby has accepted Pedro's death.

Purely coincidence

In the context of what Robby said, he was just as much a normal part of FI's crowd as Carrot was a normal part of Zou's. “Crowd”, in this case, is the gang, the regulars, the in-crowd.
    I mean he is encased in a bubble with two other Straw Hats. Hard to say he is among the entire crowd. Either way neither cover speaks about anyone's chances on joining.

That’s not my fault this time, I didn’t bring it back up. I’m pointing out why we shouldn’t be reading too much into this one, so you can ask Robby why he thinks we should be.
    What I am trying to say is why this one and not others? Or vice versa? Has any color spread given an indication or clue that what it is to come?
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information