+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ONE PIECE Opening 21, SUPER POWERS by V6 (Inuyasha Opening 1) Debuts October 7th

Default Re: ONE PIECE Opening 21, SUPER POWERS by V6 (Inuyasha Opening 1) Debuts October 7th

Hope was never going to be beat this soon, but I still thought this was a nice OP. Art's definitely not up to Hope's standard, but this is a nice get pumped morning cartoon opening.

The first half of WCI is dark and brooding, and this OP helps serve the triumphant climax.

Default Re: ONE PIECE Opening 21, SUPER POWERS by V6 (Inuyasha Opening 1) Debuts October 7th

I like when the OP reminded us that Zoro and co. aren't around.

Hidden:

It felt like a Naruto Openig Mixed with Hunter x Hunter 2011 opening 5 and given One Piece's Length.

One thing i love is that it feels like we're listening to a full length song. The song progressess fairly simply though with it's repetitive lyrics. There was a lot of interesting Sakuga in there. Looks to me like they were trying to give the opening a more Kinetic, webgen feel over something solidly drawn. Luffy's run in the beginning is bursting with character.

Overall it's a pretty solid OP, though very strange for One Piece. Still love it eons more than opening 19 (ugh)
    Last edited by RJ Returns; October 6th, 2018 at 10:27 PM.

I hadn't looked at this forum section in a while. I was surprised by the new opening. I don't care for the song and there's definitely some odd choices in there. Like that one super annoying younger sister that really only existed for like 2 chapters.

The song and visuals will probably grown on me later. Like they tend to except for We Go.

Obligatory hate to the first post time skip outfits, again.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

The strangest thing is that there really isn't much content left to cover, they had to spread the remaining arc pretty thin without spoiling too much. Some of the character teases aren't that exiting either, it's one of those openings that feels inconsistent with the rest. The whole Super Sentai feel and lyrics mirrors Germa 66 pretty well. The last shot is drawn badly, or at least looks odd.

I think SUPER POWERS will change to a new opening around Spring, not really something they can update with new scenes without re-animating the whole thing.

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Yea nah that's a bad opening lol. So many spoilers too. Just bad song, bad animation, some plain dumb moments like Chopper v Big Mam. What were they thinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch
    You're the kind of person that can't make the difference between "facts" and "far-righty rambling" but somehow you think you can legit talk like this. You're the Ben Shapiro of this forum
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Not a terrible opening, but nothing to write home about as a complete product. I noticed some cool animation spread throughout it.
    The song itself isn't doing it for me. It's sadly not on the level of Change The World.

I can understand why Reverie and Wano weren't shown. I think this opening will be shorter than most and a new opening will take its place next year for the 20th anniversary.

The new song isn't even good, but at least I won't listen to the previous one anymore, the worst OP song ever.

English translation yet?

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

I LOVE the visuals, all the animation and choices are great! The song I'm not super into, but I can easily see it growing on me over time.
    This opening didn't blow my mind like "Hope" did, but I'm just glad it's not as generic as a lot of the previous openings

That opening kinda sucked.

The openings always grow on me, but this felt like something a kid on youtube makes, not a real one piece opening. Though Hope was so good so maybe it's just something different.

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Cash scum Toei is at it again.
    I understand merchandising and how incoherent the general crowd can be but I bet half my savings that Oda is really regretting setting the time skip design as a standard.
    Like holy shit, having a uniform is for marines. It's like some executive read "merchandising anime 101" except that what he's doing isn't working because it's obviously so bad that Oda doesn't even use them anymore.
    Oda literally changes their costumes every arc but Toei being Toei is shit at attempting change and loves the money from selling their figure/toy pose number 97 of luffy in red vest .

What even is this shit pacing.
    An amateur AMV maker or a video editor can make a better opening than this.
    You know this pretty much confirm that the second half of Whole Cake is going to be a snail pace and for the hype that they will eventually kill, they are going to drag out the Luffy vs Katakuri fight.

The song is...I mean, it's not bad but compared to Hope and even pre-time skip openings, it has nothing on them.
    The biggest gripe in my opinion is now Toei below-par openings ALWAYS have that monotonous color tone, that terrible directing and just scream that they have some kind of formula they believe is safe to do an opening with but its fucking atrocious.
    Jesus christ, even Crazy Rainbow Star is better than this and I'm not even talking with nostalgia in mind.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by dropper View Post
    The strangest thing is that there really isn't much content left to cover, they had to spread the remaining arc pretty thin without spoiling too much. Some of the character teases aren't that exiting either, it's one of those openings that feels inconsistent with the rest. The whole Super Sentai feel and lyrics mirrors Germa 66 pretty well. The last shot is drawn badly, or at least looks odd.

I think SUPER POWERS will change to a new opening around Spring, not really something they can update with new scenes without re-animating the whole thing.
    Unless they surprise us and slow the pace so badly that it reaches mid Reverie and then change the opening to some scenes of Reverie + Early Wano in exactly one year.
    Yeah, I'm more inclined to believe that is exactly what they do.
    If they are taking the pattern of an opening per year as a base, they won't give a shit about pacing or setting some kind of mood.
    Just look at We Can!.

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Cash scum Toei is at it again.
    I understand merchandising and how incoherent the general crowd can be but I bet half my savings that Oda is really regretting setting the time skip design as a standard.
    Like holy shit, having a uniform is for marines. It's like some executive read "merchandising anime 101" except that what he's doing isn't working because it's obviously so bad that Oda doesn't even use them anymore.
    Oda literally changes their costumes every arc but Toei being Toei is shit at attempting change and loves the money from selling their figure/toy pose number 97 of luffy in red vest .

What even is this shit pacing.
    An amateur AMV maker or a video editor can make a better opening than this.
    You know this pretty much confirm that the second half of Whole Cake is going to be a snail pace and for the hype that they will eventually kill, they are going to drag out the Luffy vs Katakuri fight.

The song is...I mean, it's not bad but compared to Hope and even pre-time skip openings, it has nothing on them.
    The biggest gripe in my opinion is now Toei below-par openings ALWAYS have that monotonous color tone, that terrible directing and just scream that they have some kind of formula they believe is safe to do an opening with but its fucking atrocious.
    Jesus christ, even Crazy Rainbow Star is better than this and I'm not even talking with nostalgia in mind.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Unless they surprise us and slow the pace so badly that it reaches mid Reverie and then change the opening to some scenes of Reverie + Early Wano in exactly one year.
    Yeah, I'm more inclined to believe that is exactly what they do.
    If they are taking the pattern of an opening per year as a base, they won't give a shit about pacing or setting some kind of mood.
    Just look at We Can!.
    I think you're being too harsh on the opening (comparing this to AMV editing, really?). There are so many amazing animated scenes, it also sets the frantic pace against the odds during the rest of this arc. I don't know what else people expected.
    The new opening also used a lot of cool transitions between cuts, also features some of the best animation for each strawhat against any opening. The only parts that actually sucked was the last 25 seconds and some of the still shots.
    SUPER POWERS is similar to Hard Knock days, where they used it to represent the rest of the arc, except this is so much better.
    Anyone saying that this openings gives all the spoilers away: they can't remember all of the arc, the opening only teases and the rest is left to the viewers to imagine.

You know I think the opening will change after rev, a one chapter one episode ratio lines up with the beginning of Wano, with the new opening highlighting scenes from rev.

Would you rather we went back to this garbage?

lol Chopper vs Big Mom, Toei has one hell of a vision

This opening feels on par with the likes of We Can (ie, one of the worst openings)
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

I felt the need to make an account and ask after seeing this thread. People really liked Hope? That one never really clicked with me, and is almost the only one that never did in it's run, so I've just been waiting and waiting for news for the next one. Hope just always feels so slow and boring to me...

Super Powers is more my cup of tea. Not a new top favorite, but at least one I'm not gonna start skipping every episode.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Quote Originally Posted by dropper View Post
    English translation yet?
    https://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Supe...V_Size_Version

Nothing you wouldn't expect

Spoiler:

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

Snack is a weird-looking dude. But I guess from his clothes he has an ice version of Oven's DF or something.

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Oh wow so much negativity. I actually read the comments first before I watched and it's true what they say: Never let others' opinions sway you till you see it for yourself. I'm actually on the positive side when it comes to this. Here's why:

One, the song is pretty catchy. Yeah it's no "Hope" but still has a nice adventurous and danger vibe to it and compliment the visuals nicely. Pretty fitting for the second half of the arc really. I guess after coming off the more slower paced "Hope" it would be a bit of a jarring change in tempo for most now. But hey, rising action and all.

Secondly, no "Straw Hats messing around on the Sunny" cliche that's been plaguing previous openings. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind when they do that, but it feels so disconnected to the arcs at hand and start to feel same-y after back to back openings displayed them. Just a personal thing with me, but when it comes to anime opening, I kinda wanna keep the focus on what's upcoming then things that are irrelevant. Granted when it comes to One Piece, it's a consequence of going two minutes rather then one and needing to pad them out. But still, kudos on doing something different.

Which leads me to my third reasoning, the focus is completely and rightly on the latter half of the saga and keeps the upcoming elements vague enough that it doesn't get too spoiler-y. Basically telling it's own little story through the visuals to give you a basic idea what's going on. Thank you, one complaint I've had with the last batch of openings is that doesn't happen enough until a last third of the song and yeah I know, don't reveal too much, but there's usually a reason they do bait and switches in openings to keep people off guard (and provide fun little "What Ifs). I should stress doing the bait and switch in the context of the current story, not whatever "Wake Up" did.

It's not a spectacular opening but I don't say it's the worst and it certainty didn't spoil everything that's incoming like most keep claiming. Some gripes I do have is that I wish they picked some better action shots with the Germa 66 (seriously what the heck were they doing with Yonji?),That the circle pan shot with the BM Pirates surrounding the Sunny had the Commanders kinda more in the background to give it an ominous feel to it, give Bege some more screentime, The attack shots of the Straw Hats more correlating them being attacked on the ship rather then just firing things off at the camera. They could've changed up some of the setting during Luffy vs Katakuri shots just to keep that "Bait and Switch" thing I mentioned going (Luffy does leave the mirror world for a bit at one point) and maybe give Pound some love since he's vital to the escape. But otherwise I really enjoyed it.

Above average is my grade and another among my fave OP openings.
    Last edited by Retro; October 9th, 2018 at 09:37 AM.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    Secondly, no "Straw Hats messing around on the Sunny" cliche that's been plaguing previous openings.

Which leads me to my third reasoning, the focus is completely and rightly on the latter half of the saga and keeps the upcoming elements vague enough that it doesn't get too spoiler-y.

The attack shots of the Straw Hats more correlating them being attacked on the ship rather then just firing things off at the camera.

YES I totally agree, these 3 points specifically! There was barely 2 shots of them in TimeSkip clothes, so much better than previous openings, they were in WCI gear almost the whole time. I hate whenever it's just them in TimeSkip clothes attacking random fodder, all these attacks are plot relevent

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information