+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 856: ''The Forbidden Secret! Katakuri's Merienda''

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Default 856: ''The Forbidden Secret! Katakuri's Merienda''

Mmm, sacrilicious...

Title: ''The Forbidden Secret! Katakuri's Merienda''
    Chapters Covered: rest of 883
    Episode Director: Toshinori Fukuzawa (***1/2)
    Animation Director: Masahiro Kitazaki (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Well that opening did not go how I expected!
    Last edited by Crossword; October 6th, 2018 at 05:43 PM.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 856: ''The Forbidden Secret! Katakuri's Merienda''

Quote Originally Posted by EMUNOPLA View Post
    the fighting scenes were good. song was meh.
    OPTC (JPN) FC: 223.189.439

Really glad to be wrong about this opening, was expecting much worse. Song was average but the visuals definitely surprised me.

~ They got the moves like Jagger ~

Lots of Luffy v Katakuri in that theme song. Wasn’t expecting Big Mom v Chopper. The song is terrible, imo, but it’s also hard to follow up the last great one. Oh well, hopefully we’ll get a new one once the arc ends.

Luffy VS Katakuri - Ep 856 https://yadi.sk/i/5eq6iyo0NoXnLQ

One Piece Episode 857 Preview

Last edited by thaihoa91; October 6th, 2018 at 06:47 PM.

Most of the stuff I've heard from V6 isn't really my cup of tea so I was prepared to dislike the new opening but it was okay. There were some parts of the song I liked, some I could take or leave. Ultimately it's certainly no "Hope!!", but it's also no "Search for the Wind" or the "We Are! ~10th Anniversary Edition~". The footage though! Can Kohei Kureta just be put in charge of all the openings going forward? He gets my unending gratitude for finally throwing out those filler "Straw Hats lounging on the Sunny" bits; in fact the parts that featured the absent crew members were the worst ones! Very refreshing to have a very arc-centric opening and there were some very fun animation cuts in there. There was Hiromi Ishigami (Nami's lightning bolt) and Takashi Kojima (Luffy running through mirrors and Carrot's transformation) returning to the show for the first time since Dressrosa and Masami Mori doing the highlight clash with Luffy and Katakuri. Hopefully we'll see some more from any of them in the future. The reused Vinsmoke footage will probably be replaced by something else in the coming weeks but in the meantime I guess there's worse stock footage you could look at than something by Shida.

I think this is the first episode Fukuzawa's directed himself since the start of the arc with Big Mom singing? Well this episode certainly blew that one away in the direction and storyboarding department without even getting into the crazy second half. Tomokazu Sugita really nailed it here with how he portrayed Katakuri's shifting moods and it's all the more effective considering how stoic and calm he's been until now. The animation's right up there alongside episode 616 and that Ishizuka Kong Gun was insane. Tomita continues to be crazy with Yoichi Mitsui and Masahiro Kitazaki also helping out, and next week Tu's going above and beyond again. I hope they're strategic in regards to where the sacrificial episodes are going to go and if Fukuzawa and the other staff members are able to safely navigate that pitfall that would be great. This two-month stretch so far has been the best the anime's looked in a while, perhaps ever.

That opening has to be one of the worst yet, and this is coming from someone that's actually liked pretty much every (most?) openings post-timeskip. The song is god awful. But the most alarming thing is... how much they're stretching the content to fit an entire opening. Like, there's not too much left to this arc, bruh. Certainly not enough to where we need an entire opening dedicated to the remainder of it. I thought they'd at least split it between the ending of WCI and the next arcs but.. nope, just all WCI still.

Spoiler:
    I guess we're gonna be seeing Chopper fighting Big Mom (wtf lol) well into the Reverie and even Wano...

Episode was superb, though. Hands down one of the best in the entire arc.
    Last edited by Miss Saturday; October 6th, 2018 at 11:57 PM.

OMG this episode....what can I say...absolutely tremendous! It's a very very strong contestant for the best directed and best animated episode of the WCI arc.

First of all, the VA of Katakuri, Mr. Tomokazu Sugita, nailed it in this episode (especially durin the part where Katakuri was chomping down on his donuts). Is it me or did Katakuri when he got angry sound like Jack at certain moments?

The direction and storyboard in this episode was absolutely amazing! The series director Toshinori Fukazawa absolutely killed it this episode and showed us how much of a top tier director he is. Yo Crossword! Give this man the other half of the * already! He proved this episode that he's totally deserving of a 4* rating (even a 4* 1/2 in my book).

And now the animation, jesus christ this was hotter than the great fire of London! Tomita, his action is unique as always, Mitsui brought his A-game for this episode and Ishizuka made the Kong Gun (like every other attack he animated) so goddamn impactful even my PC was shaking. Btw Kitazaki is by far one of the best animation directors currently on rotation.

Anyways 5/5 episode and next week looks like the fire continues.
    Last edited by MythicalDragon; October 7th, 2018 at 02:11 AM.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    Spoiler:
    I guess we're gonna be seeing Chopper fighting Big Mom (wtf lol) well into the Reverie and even Wano...
    Spoiler:
    Monster Chopper actually fought Big Mom in the manga, but it seems people forgot. It was thin/weakened Linlin tho, but I guess they don't intend to spoil that.

Nothing to say that hasn't been already said. This episode is one of the best episode, and possibily the best post-timeskip episode, and easily stomps animation-wise over most pre-timeskip episodes.
    The preview looks pretty great, eagerly anticipating what Tu will bring to the table, as well as Koyama's return after long absence.

Tbh, even the worst episodes in this stretch of episodes have been better than expected. Directors like Ueda and Hosoda are doing much better episodes than their output in Dressrosa, so I'm hopeful Imamura's episode will deliver especially since he's paired with Yokoyama.
    Last edited by Brainyz; October 7th, 2018 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainyz View Post
    Spoiler:
    Monster Chopper actually fought Big Mom in the manga, but it seems people forgot. It was thin/weakened Linlin tho, but I guess they don't intend to spoil that.
    Spoiler:
    When was this? The only interaction I recall is Chopper using Guard Point to block Big Mom slapping down Nami like a fly. Then after that, he prepared to use Monster Point to attempt to drag down Big Mom with him to drown in the ocean, but they never clashed or anything. She was on Prometheus.

Wonder if they're planning for OP21 to stay for two cours only, it certainly won't be the first time, OP14 was in a similar situation.
    2019 will be the 20th anniversary, so it makes sense for them to want to make a special opening for it similar to OP17 which replaced the standard fishman island outfits with new ones designed by Yukiko Nakatani.
    Speaking of fishman island outfits, while I really dislike their usage, I can't ignore that even Oda himself uses them for WSJ covers:
    Spoiler:

Also, while it's questionable for them to reuse Shida's scene, it's not like it didn't happen before, it started but not limited to OP2.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Spoiler:
    When was this? The only interaction I recall is Chopper using Guard Point to block Big Mom slapping down Nami like a fly. Then after that, he prepared to use Monster Point to attempt to drag down Big Mom with him to drown in the ocean, but they never clashed or anything. She was on Prometheus.
    Opening stuff doesn't need to be 1:1 with the manga, but the idea itself still happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainyz View Post
    Opening stuff doesn't need to be 1:1 with the manga, but the idea itself still happened.
    I never said the stuff in the opening happened in the manga, I asked when did it happen period. Because as far as I can recall, he never even touched her in that form.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    I never said the stuff in the opening happened in the manga, I asked when did it happen period. Because as far as I can recall, he never even touched her in that form.
    Spoiler:
    It's chapter 891, that's where they took that idea from.

This episode completely won me over when Luffy's body jiggled after he bounced down from eating mochi. Such a small detail and yet it perfectly conveys how awesome the direction in this episode was.

Also, Katakuri's Voice actor completely nailed cold fury with his voice. It made the scene all the more intense and it was a cool audio clue to his weakness.

Man, I feel like the guys who worked on this episode love One Piece.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Spoiler:
    It's chapter 891, that's where they took that idea from.
    Spoiler:
    Lol yea I know that, but he was specifying by saying they had actually fought. Anyways, I don't want to go in circles, it's evident that that is what he was referring to.

Duuuude

The layout of the opening animation suggests it should be easy to swap out certain "segments" with new bits of animation as the arc concludes, and we move into Reverie and pre-Wano.

But I personally feel that a new opening will be produced for those arcs. They scream for their own special opening....

I hope Sawashiro is able to come back to the role of Pudding in time to perform the you-know-what scene at the end of the arc. If she ever does come back.
    Not even Naruto resorted to time travel

Hey guys I think Funimation dubbed half of this new opening song

So about fifteen episodes left in this fight and twenty in the arc?

Man, that last ten minutes had some of the best fight scene animation and direction I’ve seen.

Duuuude

Man, Katakuri straight up MURDERED his pastry delivery boys. Surprised they kept that in, and made it so...ominous.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information