+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ivrea takes over Larp Editores in Argentina...with horrible results.

Default Ivrea takes over Larp Editores in Argentina...with horrible results.

I was sad to hear Larp Editores would stop publishing One Piece and thus was quite happy to hear Ivrea would take over with some slightly redone translations... Until I learned that they FUCKING USE NAKAMA. Now I miss Larp Editores more than ever. Oh Lord.

http://www.editorialivrea.com/ARG/onepiece/index.htm

The Announcement of this atrocity.

La traducción continuará a cargo de Agustín Gomez Sanz, quien venía haciendo ya la traducción de esta serie. PERO su traducción para Ivrea será nueva y siguiendo lineamientos nuestros tras escuchar comentarios de lectores (ej: aunque no son más que palabras en japonés sin significado especial real, sí que mantendremos términos como nakama y Shichibukai así como otras sugerencias que nos han hecho).
    My translation of the whole shebang.

The translation will continue to be in charge of Agustin Gomez Sanz, who was already translating the series. BUT his translation for Ivrea will be all new and following our standards after listening comments by readers (ej:They are nothing more than words in japanese without real meaning, we will mantain terms like nakama and Shichibukai and other suggestions that have been made to us,)

Default Re: Ivrea takes over Larp Editores in Argentina...with horrible results.

Lol, so terrible, and it's the fandom's fault, they are the ones asking for these words!
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Default Re: Ivrea takes over Larp Editores in Argentina...with horrible results.

THANK YOU for posting here! I was hoping there would be a kind soul who cared enough to post and you did!

BTW can someone tell me how to contact the One Piece Podcast crew...and dont say Facebook! I tried that!

Yah, they read a lot of twitter and their reddit, but they mostly only answer in the show itself:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiecePodcast/
    https://twitter.com/onepiecepodcast
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    BTW can someone tell me how to contact the One Piece Podcast crew...and dont say Facebook! I tried that!
    You can send an email on their contact page. I think it's also for general e-mails and not just for their "Piece Together" segment where they read fan messages

THANK YOU! You GUYS ARE AWESOME!

Jeez, the English version has its issues, but at least Viz hasn't ever caved to anything as awkward as "nakama." You have my sympathies.

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

"They are nothing more than words in japanese without real meaning" followed by "[...]nakama[...]"

These guys have no idea what they're talking about
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

Powerlevel = 1 Cavendish Cavendish's Avatar

They are nothing more than words in japanese without real meaning, we will mantain terms like nakama
    Ah yes, "Nakama" just like all the other made up words with no translations you might find such as:

Bentō
    Tsuma
    Tomodachi
    Aniki
    Kaizoku
    Shushō
    Teitoku
    Taishō
    Mugiwara-bōshi

how could such things ever be translated?

I will never know what all these kaizoku guys who sail around on ships doing piracy are, if only there was a word for it in english
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Jeez, the English version has its issues, but at least Viz hasn't ever caved to anything as awkward as "nakama." You have my sympathies.
    Eh, I'd rather have nakama than Zolo.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Eh, I'd rather have nakama than Zolo.
    You'd rather everyone be dropping an entirely awkward and out of place weeabooism that can has easily usable English equivalents than have a single letter different from your preference in one character's name?

I mean, you're entitled to your preference, buuuuuut...

King of Little Sisters ~ Chrior's Avatar

Yeah... Zolo is a matter or romanizing a name with an 'l' instead or 'r', which are the same in Japanese. In fact, we should probably have "Lolonois" instead of "Roronoa" for his family name in the first place. But "nakama" is just a regular japanese word meaning "comrade", "companion". In the context of OP, it's what Luffy calls his crewmates. There is no special meaning behind it, no made up nothing. It is in no way or form comparable to a word like "Shichibukai". Which is nothing special in an of itself.
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn. (Socrates (Σωκράτης) method to enlighten people, ca. 500 BC)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    Yeah... Zolo is a matter or romanizing a name with an 'l' instead or 'r', which are the same in Japanese. In fact, we should probably have "Lolonois" instead of "Roronoa" for his family name in the first place. But "nakama" is just a regular japanese word meaning "comrade", "companion". In the context of OP, it's what Luffy calls his crewmates. There is no special meaning behind it, no made up nothing. It is in no way or form comparable to a word like "Shichibukai". Which is nothing special in an of itself.
    Zoro's name has been written correctly in English literally thousands of times on official media. Zolo is not a name.

They honestly should've just called him Steve if they had​ to change it.

I'm with you on nakama though, localizations shouldn't include random Japanese words.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; October 11th, 2018 at 07:00 AM.

Zoro's name has been written correctly in English literally thousands of times on official media. Zolo is not a name.

I'm with you on nakama though, localizations shouldn't include random Japanese words.
    Zolo is no more a name than Luffy. Ir even Zoro, given that the real name that Oda drew inspiration from is spelled Zorro. One letter's difference, a change that leaves it almost identical in look and pronunciation to the original, certainly isn't ideal, but it also isn't the end of the world. And I'd definitely take it over Steve.

I understand you very well: in Italy, Star Comics company translated Luffy's name as Rufy and this irritates me more than anything else, I can't fully enjoy my volumes knowing they're all wrong in one of the most important things of the whole manga, protagonist's name! They kept it wrong even in their "revised, corrected and improved" edition, I can understand they wanted consistency within fans and they wouldn't dirctly address first edition as wrong, but come on...

I could be exaggerated with my obessions, but every time I hear some friend calling him Rufy (or even worse, Rubber, because that's the name they gave him on TV and everyone calls him by it... Rubber) it gets on my nerves and I scream internally word of hate towards whoever came up with those names

Did kaizoku fansubs ever apologize for going full weeb playing up "nakama"
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

This is such a silly thing to redo translations over
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

I remember the time when Mihawk was introduced: he was called "Jurakule Mihawk" (I think i'm writing it right) ... IIRC, i was reading translations from NULL @ the time.

It was many years later that we learned his real name is "Dracule" ...

A much more recent example would be "Reverie": for years it was spelled "Reverie" but now it turns out it's "Lev Ely" instead. Will they keep the wrong name "for continuity"?
    HTC - Hoje Tive Cá

I'll never understand how any translators got the J for Mihawk's family name. 'Dr' is a common (mis)pronunciation of 'J' for a lot of people, it's obvious the name should be Dracule.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Quote Originally Posted by HTC View Post
    A much more recent example would be "Reverie": for years it was spelled "Reverie" but now it turns out it's "Lev Ely" instead. Will they keep the wrong name "for continuity"?
    They should since Reverie is a real word and Lev Ely is a complete nonsense word that only Oda thinks works in English. Obviously he wants it to mean "Level" but much like his intent for Loguetown to be like "Prologue" it doesn't quite work unless you're flat out told that's the intent ahead of time, and it only works in the Japanese where L's and R's are interchangeable.

The author's wishes and intent take priority 99.9% of the time, but his use of foreign language words doesn't take priority over a native speaker of the same language. See also Shiryu/Shilliew, the times Franky has been Flanky, or the fact that even the Japanese audience was confused when he named the giant "Oars"and were getting "Oz" "Ozu" and "Orhz" and the like until he actually spelled it in English.

I don't know for instance how French translations handle Sanji using French words, but I imagine they have something to make them stand out other than translating them into French. Or My Hero Academia, wen ALl Might uses American States, in English, for his attacks, that works as a contrast against Japanese... but loses something when its just English in the translation.

Which is not the same thing as say, translating Nami into Wave. (However, give the sheer number of bear puns made about Kuma, his name is a rare exception where maybe it should have been literally translated.) Cases like Jinbe/Jimbei where it comes out pretty much the same but with different spellings, should go with the official bounty poster name... if the bounty is introduced early enough to be incorporated that way.
    Last edited by Robby; October 12th, 2018 at 01:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information