+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Death Beckons: a DnD campaign

Default Re: Death Beckons: a DnD campaign

Great job, Shuhan! I'd like to get combat flowing a little faster but I'm sure that will come with everyone getting a little more familiar.

And for reference, my character is one Professor Engelverry Marlow, Human Ranger, currently on administrative leave from a university and looking for funding to continue his biological research.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Discovered Stowaway No swords style best style's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hide View Post
    Speaking of names, I wrote down soooome notes. Feel free to correct or add, everyone.
    Thank you so much for sharing this! If I may add something for my guy, the spelling was meant to be Rox as a very, very stupid pun, and I mentioned something about helping his village (at least, I think I did, as I maaaaybe wasn't always on the ball lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Huschel View Post
    I had the same idea but instead I decided to 'publish' what I got. :P
    That was a fantastic read

Aww, stop you're making me blush~
    Seriously though, you guys made this session a great time, thank you for putting up with my mistakes.
    Now I know for sure I need to have more lists prepped and more bushes that spawn goblins.

By the 7 Sons of Pwngoat! *Meh*'s Avatar

I thought everyone knew that goblins spawn abiogenetically from any sufficiently smelly shrubbery. Thus, the Knights of Ni's request for a shrubbery was merely a ploy to lure brave heroes into granting them a goblin horde to command.
    I'm like Hisotensoku: Not here to preserve peace, nor to destroy it. I certainly can't move mountains. Mostly, I'm just full of hot air.
    - *Meh*

We on for today?

Yup. Sorry, I asked the same thing in the discord.

Can't wait to read Huschel's summary of the hour long owlette argument.

Discovered Stowaway No swords style best style's Avatar

Rox just has trouble figuring out when battles to the death have started.

Also damn you female Ron Perlman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hide View Post
    Can't wait to read Huschel's summary of the hour long owlette argument.
    It gets a little hazy towards the end but I definitely covered the owl shenanigans.

Session 2 - Owl's well that ends. Well...

Spoiler:
    When last we left our heroes, they had been hot on the trail of some goods-stealing goblins. Let's see what they will do next, shall we?

Naturally, they start disturbing nature in any way imaginable. Okay, turtles climbing trees more or less for fun is not particularly offensive.
    Stumbling upon a nest of cute little owl babies and not-quite-yet owl babies is rather harmless. But proceeding to accidentally smash an egg may be somewhat questionable. And grabbing a terrified bird mourning their stillborn sibling is not something one would expect a paladin to revel in.

Airdi doesn't seem happy about it and challenges Tortuga for custody of little Edward. But apparently even magical Friendship isn't enough to
    break the hold Stockholm has over the bird which happily clings to his new father. Also, Tolrand finds a twig. While Samson quietly fosters his
    dislike for the murderous paladin, the ranger Marlow can't abide the thought of being without an animal companion any longer, so he scales the
    tree himself and grabs whatever living thing he finds up there. Surely, they're all much happier in an impromptu nest inside his backpack.
    Oh, the original nest also contains humanoid bones. Meanwhile, Rox enjoys the peaceful view from the treetops.

The trail of goblins (remember those?) proceeds to lead the group to a curtain of vines which gets quickly deposed of with fire and sharp weaponry. A short-lived fight against more goblin (and/or gnolls) follows. Which is promptly interrupted by a fight against big nasty mommy and daddy owls. Tortuga the owl whisperer attempts to sweet-talk them and miraculously succeeds. But ultimately, the two of them end up chopped to bits and burned to a crisp, respectively. Of course, the group decides to give them a proper burial, they aren't monsters.

Beyond the vines in a cave of gnolls, eventually our ragtag companions encounter an entity clad in shadows. All hell breaks loose when she
    effortlessly robs Airdi of her life force and proceeds to woman-handle the rest of the party. And it was on this day, in the middle of a dark cave, that our heroes were completely and utterly defeated. Because you know what they say:

Karma is a lich.
    Just something fun I made during the latest Survivor playing as Monji:
    Spoiler:

Sorry everyone, I’m going to be running late today due to a family gathering. Go ahead and start without me!

Session 3

Spoiler:
    Howdy-ho. This is Mr. Hide reporting. Huschel's and Jabber's planets needed them so they had to go. So I've taken up Huschel's job of rapping reports.

We last left off... dead

Our afterlife warden Faust sits at his wooden mahogany desk and reads through our files. Tortuga's fascinates him. Things of note include: he was almost killed by a wee-little goblin, he "fingered" an unhatched owlette to death, he befriended an angry giant owl, and worst of all has a serious case of schadenfreude. It's practically his fetish, his words not mine.

We're still here in our individual jail cells, waiting for Faust to figure out what to do with us. It could take years, milleniums even, for us to get shuffled into whatever awaits us. Hope we brought some books to pass the time.

There's a rattling for another cage. There's a centaur in here. He's Achistos Starcatcher, he's been here for 20 years, and he'll be our new life cleric for this campaign. Hehehehe, dead life cleric.

Airdi just belched. Sexy. Body functions still work; good to know.

After much contemplation about what will happen to us (Airdi knows she's going to hell) and failed attempts by Rox and Kelvin to break their bars, Drensaw quenches his thirst for knowledge and asks Faust why we're locked up. We are a curiosity. We are ne'er-do-wells. We are locked up because we could be a threat, Tortuga and Airdi especially.

The word 'suddenly' has never been followed by 'everything happened exactly as it was supposed to' or 'nothing happened whatsoever' and this case of suddenly was no different. Suddenly, the room starts to violently hum and vibrate. Bars are clinking and a brilliant and illuminating light materializes in the middle of the room. Faust is perturbed but not the least bit scared or confused. Thin shafts of light fire towards us and we each feel a burning sensation as we are pulled out of this immortal coil. "So that's how it is," Faust says with a smirk.

Where are we? Why is it so dark here? What is this cold numbness in our bodies? Why is there a hard wood flooring under us? Why is Tortuga constantly telling us he feels pretty?

We all try to seize our bearings and get up, except Drensaw. Something's holding him down. Around his body is an intricately-written glyph. Zoinks! While the tortle helps him up, we discover a small laboratory-like place with beakers and potions and bookcases and other oddities. I'm sure there's machines there too that beep and light up because science.

Rox finds out all our stuff is back on us. All our stuff except for Airdi's owls.

A gasp from the room tells us we've got company. Kelvin pulls out a dagger and dashes for the sound. With reflexes you wouldn't expect from someone who just got their bearings, Kelvin strikes something behind a table. Another yelp and it's.... Kelvin who feels pain, not this newcomer. A wound appears on Kelvin the size of, you guessed it, a dagger. No blood seeps out. Hey, pain means we're alive.

Our guest is a humanoid in a dark robe with Kelvin's dagger in his shoulder. Kelvin twists his knife further in and more pain on Kelvin's end, not that the intruder is any better off. He yelps, he cries, he squirms. He's Dorian, a teenage boy with an ornate staff decorated with a raven on top.

The kid squeals like he's reenacting his favorite scenes from Deliverance. Kelvin takes his staff and tosses it to Airdi, who catches it in a super-cool way. With only a cursory glance she determines it's a very powerful necrotic artifact radiating much energy.

Kelvin tosses the kid to us for interrogating. Rox steps in and declares he doesn't want some poor, crying kid dead. At the mention of the d word, the kid sobs like an overflowing bathtub. In his first act of unparanoid kindness, Kelvin gently removes his dagger from the poor squirt's shoulder.

After some calming down, the kid begins to rap with us. He's an amateur necromancer who brought us back by accident with that staff, which explains why our skin is now a sickly shade of grey. He was taught by a master who has since gone missing. Maybe I should put missing in quotation marks.

Tortuga being Tortuga, asks if he has any food. "We have plenty," the kid says. We?

A thought dawns on us: we're having thoughts! We've been necromanicized yet we can think! For you outsiders out there, that's not normal. Oh, and that glyph that was surrounding Drensaw? Same thing's on everyone's right hands.

Drensaw plays good cop to Kelvin's bad cop. With a friendly arm on the kid's shoulder and a healing word to raise his spirits, Drensaw asks for a couple of stools and some summoned drinks to keep us hearty. Dorian is much more sociable now. This was his first attempt to summon undead, his first spell ever cast infact.

Tortuga flips through a book Dorian was reading. 'Necromancy for Dummies.' Takes a very high-level spell to raise the dead. Odd that such a spell would be in this book. Two daggers are thrown at the kid, one for each foot, and it's demanded that he tell the truth. (Good Cop, Bad Cop, Asshole Turtle. Coming soon to Fox.) This staff which he told Drensaw is his actually belonged to his master.

It's time for drinks in the mess hall. Mess hall? Well, it's a hall and it's very messy thanks to his aunt and uncle. They're necromancers as well and Dorian has been living under their roof and practicing the family art for the past two years. Before we can delve into the ethical uncertainties about nercromancy, we walk down a corridor and hear some noises. A small explosion, another small explosion, a hoot, yet another small explosion. Hoot?

A quick step into an adjacent room and Airdi, the mean-spirited and stoic gith, becomes a giddy child as she's reunited with her now fully-grown feather babies. The change in size prompts the question of how long we've been dead. 6 months. 6 frigging months. Dorian found our corpses and our owls in the litch's cave and has kept us all for 6 months.

Hold on a tick! Airdi placed one of her owls between her boobs for safe keeping just before the lich killed her. And Dorian has raised these owls in a cage since they were babies. So how did he get the owl out of her breasts?

Okay, seriously. Drinks. If we don't get alcohol in us in the next minute, we'll lose it. We are inches away from booze when we hear the source of those tiny explosions, now in chorus with screaming fits of insults. Dorian uncle Malice, a dwarf, and his aunt Spite, an elf, are having a typical Monday night. Dorian opens a door and everyone except Drensaw dodges uncle Malice's air-happy axe. Unexpectedly or, if you've been paying attention, very expectedly, no blood gushes out of the wound after the axe is pulled out. Achistos heals Drensaw yet the wound persists.

After a succesfull intimidation by Kelvin with said throwing axe, everything settles down and we finally get good and wasted. Aunt Spite tries her best to be welcoming to her uninvited guests and congratulates Dorian on finding such good slaves. Slaves? Turns out since Dorian summoned us, we are his undead servants. Those glyphs on our hands are a tattooical testament to that, and any pain we inflict on our maladroit master means we take the shot. Oh, and we can't get drunk no matter how much we drink.

Aunt Spite tells us Dorian's necro-staff has a counterpart that may bring us to life... or make us permanently dead. She doesn't know where it is or what it looks like. The only one who knows anything in this crazy messed-up scenario is Dorian's dead master. Too bad she didn't leave any notes behind, only a second laboratory in the hills about about two days away on a trip that will probably be fraught with danger. Tortuga calls for a huddle and asks us to sleep on this before we decided to head out and find this place.

the scene changes back to Faust still at his desk. Poor guy never leaves the thing. Legs must be weaker than an unmodded ranger. There's less paper work with us gone so he's not too upset about us leaving. A cool drafts rolls us his back. He turns around to see a floating light-made lich-esque creatures in a black cloak stepping out of a dark rift. It and Faust trade enigmatic words back and forth about masters making moves and people being watched. Another sigh and Faust returns to his work as the cloak returns to the rift. "This is going to be a difficult time," Faust mutters.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information