+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 868: ''A Man's Resolve - Katakuri's Life-Betting Battle''

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Default 868: ''A Man's Resolve - Katakuri's Life-Betting Battle''

Super smash bros.

Title: ''A Man's Resolve - Katakuri's Life-Betting Battle''
    Chapters Covered: rest of 893-894
    Episode Director: Aya Komaki (****)
    Animation Director: Shuuichi Ito (***1/2)
    Time: 7:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 868: ''A Man's Resolve - Katakuri's Life-Betting Battle''

Conqueror's Haki Clash - Luffy VS Katakuri - Episode 868 + 869 Preview https://yadi.sk/i/AD-n4Z_DtLrTlQ

One Piece Episode 869 Preview

Last edited by thaihoa91; January 13th, 2019 at 12:03 AM.

Holee fuck aya komaki!!!

Oh this was a memorable one
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

One Piece has now joined the elite club of anime where blood siblings have exchanged body fluids.

That was memorably, seizurifically over-the-top. As far as I know it's been a while since we'd seen Yoichi Mitsui on an episode and his lengthy sequence at the end was a great way to come back. Not everyone can convey a strong sense of motion and force through still images like that; very strong storyboarding from Komaki as usual. Speaking of not seeing people for a while I noticed that Takeo Ide was the top key animator credit and I don't believe we've seen him on One Piece at all since episode one of Dressrosa.

The sequence halfway through back with the other Straw Hats was much improved over the manga counterpart. I remember it being like a page and a half and just showing the single wave slash and Smoothie standing in a static pose while here she comes off as much more of a proactive threat. Lord knows she needs the extra shine. Chopper directly addressing Carrot as "Sis," instead of by name now post-Sulong was not something I picked up on before.

The looseness of the art visible in the first preview shot of Luffy with the blindfold made me think of Isamu Takara but I doubt it. Would be fantastic though if he was coming back.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Duuuude

I FUCKING LOVED THIS EPISODE.

Once thing I hate about shonen anime, and particularly with One Piece, is how "expected" the end of the episode so often is. You're JUST getting invested in what's happening, music that often accompanies the end of an episode starts playing, and you get static shots of everyone standing around and breathing. I thought for sure that what was already a great episode was going to end with Luffy and Katakuri staring at each other, right after Katakuri apologizes. But NO, the fight continues for one excellllllent extended cut, and ends with the two blows, and different shots almost tied to the music. That catapulted the episode from great to excellent for me.

And man oh man, the collision of their Haki of the Supreme King midway through...powerful.

Remember when Oda designed a really cool top character, hyped her up, gave her a unique and interesting power, then did absolutely fucking nothing with her for an entire arc? Yeah, good times.
    If the anime wants to do a filler fight, this would be the perfect character and situation for it. Smoothie vs. Jinbe or Sanji. Another character who got the shaft in his own alleged arc.

Katakuris intrigued facial expression when Luffy managed to remain on his feet after taking that punch is really awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    Remember when Oda designed a really cool top character, hyped her up, gave her a unique and interesting power, then did absolutely fucking nothing with her for an entire arc? Yeah, good times.
    If the anime wants to do a filler fight, this would be the perfect character and situation for it. Smoothie vs. Jinbe or Sanji. Another character who got the shaft in his own alleged arc.
    I think we already kind of got that in Smoothie's brief fights with Ichiji in 841 and Reiju in 842.

At least the anime made Smoothie's few feats look really impactful. This was Mihawk vs. Jozu level attention.

As for doing something with Smoothie...

Spoiler:
    I can actually see the hype going somewhere when Big Mom enters Wano. Oda even noted in the SBS how powerful Smoothie is, so he might just save her for later.

Apart from that, I'm disappointed that Flampe's spit was just bubblegum. I totally thought the sticky spit was mucus in the manga, making it extra nasty and weird.
    Last edited by Jabra; January 13th, 2019 at 10:16 PM.

Great episode.

Komaki is fantastic director and did a fantastic job of using lighting and colours to create a real atmosphere for key scenes, and did a really good job of selling Katakuri's characterization through neat visual cues in direction and emphasis placed on scenes like him stepping over his scarf. Glad Komaki got to handle such an important scene, as it complete the thematic and symbolic through lines that has been occurring in the fight. In Komaki's other episodes of the fight, 852 and 860, Katakuri is consistently shown demonstrating his indifference to Luffy as well as the difference in strength, with him being consistently shown having his back to Luffy, so its great that Komaki was given the episode where the turning point in the fight where Katakuri recognizing Luffy as an opponent and turning to face him.

Not an overtly animated episode, but the art was extremely polished for the most part, and I really enjoyed Yoichi Mitsui's output on the final scene on the episode, the board made it feel very reminiscent of Luffy's fight in 824 which was also directed and boarded by Komaki.

Good to see Smoothie have a real presence in the anime. I thought this was one of the scenes the anime could improve on from the manga and they definitely delivered on it, with Smoothie actually living up to her 900 million Berry bounty in the anime. The anime has really added to the portrayal and presence of Smoothie as a character, with her being in the thick of the action in the tea party, battling against the germa, and now having a fully emphasized presence in the hunt against the strawhats.

Overall, a great episode, little worried for next episode based on the preview, but I'm thinking it should still be fine.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information