+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 869: ''Awaken - The Color of Observation That Surpasses the Strongest!''

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Default 869: ''Awaken - The Color of Observation That Surpasses the Strongest!''

It may be cold outside, but inside the Mirror World things are really heating up!

Title: ''Awaken - The Color of Observation That Surpasses the Strongest!''
    Chapters Covered: rest of 894
    Episode Director: Katsumi Tokoro (****)
    Animation Directors: Yusuke Isochi (***1/2) and Kazuya Hisada (***1/2)
    Time: 7:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 869: ''Awaken - The Color of Observation That Surpasses the Strongest!''

The Color of Observation Able to Top The Strongest! - Episode 869: https://yadi.sk/i/pOY8yGcORSddtw

One Piece Episode 870 Preview
    Last edited by thaihoa91; January 21st, 2019 at 01:50 AM.

Default Re: 869: ''Awaken - The Color of Observation That Surpasses the Strongest!''

Look at those Nakamura cubes, look at 'em! And Shida too.

Preview is fucking amazing. Can't wait for next week.

As for 869, Deguchi and Hisada handle much of the first half and it's, err.... not amazing? This episode is generally very limited in movement. Thankfully, Tokoro's direction really steps in once we get to the flashback and it's just... perfect. The angles, the music placement, the comedy. It's all on point, and more than makes up for the limited movement. The art team also did an amazing job conveying the ever-changing atmosphere of Rusukaina. It feels so refreshing- both for the audience, and surely also for the BG artists themselves- to be able to see and draw something other than mirrors and water. You could really feel the passion in those BG shots.

Second half is Isouchi, who I must say is doing great job emulating Sato. The staff list for this episode is huge and I really have no idea who did what. Studio Cosmo helped out (May have only done 2nd KA? Toei doesn't credit 2nd KA seperately, so a lot of these are probably just helping out with clean-up). I'm fairly certain that the Grilled Mochi was done by Kitazaki, and what a fantastic scene it is! You can really feel the force as he's blasted through the rocks, with some really dynamic smoke and Tokoro's beautiful eye for at atmosphere to back it up. There were some tasteful still shots that peaked my interest, since whoever did them seemingly took a lot of inspiration from Noburo Koizumi; They look very similar to the kind of stuff you'd find in Koizumi's work on Episode 808.

Tomita steps in to animate the ending bit, where Luffy transforms into- Oh my god, I can finally say it freely, Snake man! Luffy has a new form, who would've thought?! Tomita has been super adventurous during WCI, and this is no different. It's a lovely lead-in to the full-power transformation we're getting next week by Shida.

Overall a good episode. I loved the flashback, but the animation was definitely limited. However, it looks like 870 will MORE than make up for that. I believe I can say with confidence that next week has a serious possibility of being the most well-animated episode of One Piece BY A LANDSLIDE. Hugely looking forward to it, this week cannot go fast enough!
    Last edited by Jakisuaki; January 19th, 2019 at 07:02 PM.

Please hurry up next week

https://twitter.com/hanabushi_/statu...07930257588224

It looks like Koudai Watanabe will participate in next week's climax!

My kneejerk takeaway is that this episode is kind of like the episode 307 (I believe that's the one I'm thinking of) to upcoming episode 870's 309. Both 307 and 869 looked really rough and were/will be followed by a really amazing-looking episode but while 307 looked like and was directed like crap from start to finish from what I remember 869's direction is a lot stronger (though still not the best episode Tokoro's directed this arc; that's still probably going to be 849) and still managed to be an exciting watch in spite of it being held together by duct tape. Just goes to show that the anime's overall in a pretty good place right now when even notably weaker episodes can still be worthwhile. Highlight scene for me was the Grilled Mochi attack. I'm still in awe that Oda actually gave Katakuri a goddamn rocket punch attack.

And now the wait for next. I highly doubt they'll do it, but I will be hugely impressed if they manage to not cut away from the fight even once like the corresponding manga chapter did. The climax is looking like it's easily going to blow all the other final fights out of the water - the preview alone is absolutely stacked with Shida, Tu, Masami Mori (the giant punch clash in the middle of the opening and Sulong Carrot jumping off of the Sunny's mast in 862), and we now know that Kodai Watanabe will be putting in work too. Who knows if we'll see anyone else show up like Ishizuka? Next week cannot come quickly enough.

And last but not least, sensible chuckle at having the Snakeman steam form the shape of the Yamata no Orochi.
    Last edited by Crossword; January 20th, 2019 at 12:30 AM.

One of the Decuplets sons' name is revealed to be 'Newsan' (the one wearing the purple bowler hat) in this episode, we learn that another one was named 'Newgo' back then from the One Piece manga SBS. It seems that they will have a naming theme similar to the Vinsmokes children because Newsan's name is New + 3 in japanese while for Newgo is New + 5 in japanese.
    Last edited by Faruway; January 20th, 2019 at 01:44 AM.
    Creator of the Super Smash Bros. and Video Game Trailers Reaction Mashup in YouTube!

This episode was good, but just like the manga chapter this week, the next one is what I am SUPER hype for. Could be one of the staples of the anime episode I come back to rewatch if they do it right. Haven't had many of those in the new world arcs.

The fight in the beginning made my eyes hurt. One Piece rarely moves this much and yet it didn't look polished, or well-timed at all. In fact. This episode felt like it was slapped together with duct tape which I guess is fine considering the episode before.... and the one after it.

Still, the flashback was pretty.
    Last edited by RJ Returns; January 20th, 2019 at 02:32 PM.
    “When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say”

It had some rough spots but overall I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the last few.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I thought this episode was pretty boring. The fight felt...pretty much the same as it has the past few episodes, even though Luffy's more powerful. The flashbacks were cute, but not much more. Though if next episode is amazing it'll all be worth it.

Oh, and Katakuri's OST is awesome.

Spoiler:

Something I really like that the anime is doing, is how it's showing Luffy's observation Haki progressing. Such as initially Luffy would just see a light in the direction of whatever attack was coming, but now he can see Katakuri fully formed. He can't see what's going on around him yet, but I think that's a nice touch for the anime.

I'm still concerned about next week as what happens in the manga probably happened in like 5 minutes and they're making a 22 minute episode (I guess more like 17 after opening and theme song) about it. This makes me think there will be a lot of shots of Luffy and Katakuri just staring at each other or that they'll add a bunch of ridiculous filler of Luffy getting beaten down and struggling to get back up (as they have been)

I'm hoping for the best though. This week looked amazing and thus far I'm pleased with how the anime has handled this. ... I just don't have complete faith that they'll get it right but, as I said, here's hoping

EDIT
    wait I guess with the clocks we see it takes like 20 minutes... but can Luffy stay in 4th Gear that long?
    For with a closing door, another surely opens
    Just you wait and see,
    And when you look back on where we've been together
    Wherever you may be
    I hope that you remember me

Animation wise, this episode felt more stitched together than one of Gekko Moriah’s zombie’s.

A very rough first half animation wise, courtesy of Kazuya “how am I still the character designer” Hisada and Deguchi. Second half showed improvement with Isouchi taking over, but interestingly enough, there were no studio Guts key animators on board. The highlights this episode came from Masahiro Kitazaki, who handled a really nice stretch of action in the second half that did justice to the manga part of this fight, with the highlight of his scene being the grilled mochi. The other highlight came from Yoshikazu Tomita, who handled the gear 4th reveal at the end of the episode.

In terms of direction, it wasn’t particularly exceptional, however, the first half in particular felt like the staff weren’t quite able to bring the story board to life.
    The main draw of this episode I think, wasn’t really the execution of the content, but the content that was added to the scenario. I felt like Katakuri’s character was well captured in his inner monologue and his dialogue, and I enjoyed the extensions to Rayliegh’s training.

Overall, a little disappointing, and feels a little bit of repeat of episode 725. However, just like 725, we have next week to look forward to, with shit getting good and some of not only the best animators on One Piece(Tu Yong Ce), but also at Toei delivering action cuts. I am so ready for Koudai Watanabe(best animator at toei), Masami Mori and Naotoshi Shida to kick ass, even if their contributions are only short.

Quote Originally Posted by Quexinos View Post
    Something I really like that the anime is doing, is how it's showing Luffy's observation Haki progressing. Such as initially Luffy would just see a light in the direction of whatever attack was coming, but now he can see Katakuri fully formed. He can't see what's going on around him yet, but I think that's a nice touch for the anime.

I'm still concerned about next week as what happens in the manga probably happened in like 5 minutes and they're making a 22 minute episode (I guess more like 17 after opening and theme song) about it. This makes me think there will be a lot of shots of Luffy and Katakuri just staring at each other or that they'll add a bunch of ridiculous filler of Luffy getting beaten down and struggling to get back up (as they have been)

I'm hoping for the best though. This week looked amazing and thus far I'm pleased with how the anime has handled this. ... I just don't have complete faith that they'll get it right but, as I said, here's hoping

EDIT
    wait I guess with the clocks we see it takes like 20 minutes... but can Luffy stay in 4th Gear that long?
    I definitely agree with you about the shown progression of Luffy's observation haki, that's something I think the manga really lacked in actually conveying to the reader, and while I do think there have been a few missteps in demonstrating that in the anime, I think overall its been very solid in its additions of those scenes(my favourite being in 867).

The fight in the manga, even in manga time, took 32 minutes. It was between 12:05 and 12:37. If you were to lowball the time, it was still between 12:05 and 12:28. I think next episode would actually benefit a lot from logical expansions to the choreography, considering a large portion of the fight was them trading blow to blow with each other. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much, we have some of the best staff regular animators on the show, like Tu Yong Ce, and we've also got industry big guns like Masami Mori, Toei's best animator Koudai Watanabe for the diced mochi, and Naotoshi Shida for the transformation, and apparently many more. So I wouldn't be worried.
    I would however, expect a final Rayleigh flashback that will be anime only.

I still think it's weird (and i just never noticed it before) that Luffy can stay in 4th Gear so long. I always assumed it'd be used up in a few minutes but maybe with Snakeman he can keep the form longer? I guess that's the case... I wonder how long he can hold Tankman for.

I would however, expect a final Rayleigh flashback that will be anime only.
    Probably... I mean they'll have to pad the time out sometime and this would be the best way to do it.
    For with a closing door, another surely opens
    Just you wait and see,
    And when you look back on where we've been together
    Wherever you may be
    I hope that you remember me

I like to think that Luffy's haki gets stronger the more he uses it, so every time he can stay in a little bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Quexinos View Post
    I still think it's weird (and i just never noticed it before) that Luffy can stay in 4th Gear so long. I always assumed it'd be used up in a few minutes but maybe with Snakeman he can keep the form longer? I guess that's the case... I wonder how long he can hold Tankman for.
    It has never been a few minutes. Even in the Dressrosa arc, it was made clear in 785 that he had been in the form for over 20 minutes. It's actually been pretty consistent that even after that arc, Oda didn't make it so that it got a massive increase in the amount of time he could use it, even though he could've easily handwaved it away using the "shounen logic" of Luffy having become stronger post-Dressrosa. Maybe Snake Man can indeed be used for a longer period of time, but at best it's a slight increase, not a huge one.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information