+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Prince (From the writers of Last Airbender)

Default Netflix announces new animated series from Avatar: The Last Airbender writers

The concept interests me.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/10/1...rbender-writer

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Default Re: Netflix announces new animated series from Avatar: The Last Airbender writers

Hmmm . . . . interesting.

Although that's one weird looking dragon.

Default Re: Netflix announces new animated series from Avatar: The Last Airbender writers

That title is really misleading. Mike and Bryan are the creators of avatar and the ones generally credited with the whole shebang.

That said, Mike and Bryan weren't really super responsible for Avatar's best qualities... the writing staff and producers were. (The drop off in writing quality on Korra showed that loss... and how solid Voltron has been with the same studio but not them is also telling.)
    He's credited with some pretty good Avatar episodes, but only a handful of really forgettable Futurama episodes... hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Hmmm . . . . interesting.

Although that's one weird looking dragon.
    I saw a snippet earlier and thought it was a Phoenix.

Not gonna lie. I laughed at 0:45.

Aw man, it's the computer-style "hand-drawn" animation. Not my favorite.

It looks beautiful otherwise.

Yeah, not a fan of the hand drawn CG when any show does it. The tech just isn't quite there to make it look right, but I understand its a major cost and time saving measure.

Still, looks promising.

I'm not the greatest fan of the animation, but it does look like something I'd get used to or even appreciate after a while.

Digging the premise, I'm all in for some fantasy adventure~

Discovered Stowaway

Well, I suppose if we are to ever get to good looking hand drawn CG cartoons, we'll need to swallow some weird ones. And if we are talking about Avatar creators without every possible kind of ridiculous restraints being thrown at them at the eleventh minute, we can expect a very good show regardless of how it looks.
    And anyways, at least it doesn't look as bad as Berserk... although I have to admit after Land of the Lustrous I was hoping we had already got to the point we could expect those types of cartoon to look good (real good) already:
    Spoiler:

Well if someone was going to master it it would be the Japanese first.

Although Disney I know is trying to make their CGI look like "painting".

Finished Book 1: Moon. (Yeah, they are doing that.)

My thoughts.
    Spoiler:

The world and story are fine.

Half-Prince is okay.

Moon Elf Assassin is great.

Little Brother Prince Animal Whisperer is shit.

Sister Witch is great.

Knight Brother is fine the way he is.

Hawkmoth Jaffar is pretty good.

But Best Character award hands down goes to Auntie Mute Knight.

All in all...It's fine.

Watched the first couple episodes. It's okay so far, if a bit generic. I get turned off immediately by there being "dark magic" within the first 30 seconds of the show which is just so cliche. Like you already have a system in place for 6 different elements, and you have to go with "dark" for the badguy set?

Weird getting used to Sokka's VA not being Sokka, though he's doing a different performance so it's not too jarring.

Not a big fan of the CG 2D animation. Be it on this, Ronja, Berserk, or RWBY, the tech just isn't quite there yet. It's obviously faster and cheaper than traditional animation but it just always looks so janky. Like it's missing too many inbetween frames and lacking a human hand guiding the details.

It looks better in some shots than others, so I assume some trick of motion or the animation just putting in a couple extra frames of work makes the difference, but some shots that should be simple closeups just look weird and stuttered.

And got through the first season. Not bad. Best character is definitely the aunt. It's Netflix so I assume they greenlit two seasons at once, so maybe we'll see the next batch of eps in a few months.

Spoiler:
    don't think I've ever seen a straight up deaf character in animation before. Not counting like, flying carpet in Aladdin or animal characters, but an actual person doing constant sign language complete with interpreter next to them. Neat.

Also, if fulminos is the key word for lightning, then Draconic spell language is just Latin, I think.

Discovered Stowaway

Ok... hmm... what's the thing with the framerate?

I actually had to stop the first episode after 10 minutes because of how much this was bothering me and google to see if that was a common problem or something with my internet/hardware (I am a technology illiterate). It is like half the frames from the animation are missing, there is no way my brain can gestalt whatever is left to fill in the gaps. Even something simple like a baker talking with a child was unbearable, it was like mini time-slips where happening every 0,1 sec.

I didn't disliked the content - it was generic, sure, but interesting enough - however I can't say I enjoyed it because the conscious effort to keep forcing myself to watch the whole episode despite the animation completely ruined the experience. I can't see myself watching the rest of the season due to this technical aspect, which is really a shame. It baffles me to think this was a conscious choice.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; September 16th, 2018 at 11:56 AM.

They apparently *intentionally* took out frames in order to make it look more organic than what the computer was naturally providing. Which... was a mistake.

There's less of that later on though, the animation either gets better or you get used to it. I stopped being jarred by it after a few episodes.

I have no idea what episode I'm on. But I'm loving it so far.

Ezran is adorable. I like the Aunt a lot. I like Viren's children. I like the humor.

Spoiler:
    The elves remind me of a mix between WoW Nightelves and the elves in Dragon Age.

Hiccup 2.0 wasn't too bad. Normally his character type I don't care about. But I do like that he is a nubblet mage.

Rayla is not too bad. I like that she's not fully serious.

I was also surprised to see a full deaf character. I liked that even though I can't understand her they didn't subtitle her and you only knew what she said if her 2nd translated. She kinda reminded me of Cassandra in Dragon Age.

As I mentioned before I like Viren's kids. And I feel like one or both of them will turn heel. Probably the son first.

I can't stand cgi cartoons that try to look 2D normally. But the story has me interested enough to keep watching.

Oh I apparently finished the 1st season.
    Last edited by Cyclone_Baroness; September 16th, 2018 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post

I can't stand cgi cartoons that try to look 2D normally. But the story has me interested enough to keep watching.
    So far RWBY is the only one that I like and even that doesn't feel like it's trying to be 2D, just something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    So far RWBY is the only one that I like and even that doesn't feel like it's trying to be 2D, just something different.
    I know someone here works on RWBY. But I just can't watch it. I really don't like the way it looks or moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    I know someone here works on RWBY. But I just can't watch it. I really don't like the way it looks or moves.
    I haven't watched since S3 or RWBY, but I remember there was a lot of over-gesticulating and other odd movements.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

I watched maybe the first few RWBY episodes and, aside from the weird animation, I just found it be horribly dull and tediously-paced (yes, I've heard it gets better).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information