+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English releases)

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

Maybe they're more used to illegal sources because Manga is so big in France?

My impression was that the pecking order of spoiler releases is 1. Chinese / Korean -> 2. French -> closely followed by 3. Spanish -> rest.

Anyway, are we running low on Frenchmen here on Arlong Park? Step forward and explain yourself!

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

Most of the bottom countries have had Viz access before manga plus came.I think in India, Uk and Canada people still prefer Viz.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post

Anyway, are we running low on Frenchmen here on Arlong Park? Step forward and explain yourself!
    I suppose the other French people on this forum are like me and reading on mangaplus...
    But I have not made an account so am I still counted as a user ?

Also the French scan is available before the official release so people which are not feeling confortable with their English have no reason to read on Mangaplus. And I don't know which people Wolfwood has encountered but I'm not sure they are fully representative. Especially from the mangas readers

Well i've only been there a few times so i really don't have any leg to stand on when it comes to this so i won't make any big statements about ya'll. But the French have this rep as being horrendously bad at English, but the people i met understood English just fine, they just didn't speak it with you right of the bat, and when they spoke it was at worst passable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    And are anon readers considered as users ?
    I guess they are counting people that downloaded the app.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Chrior View Post
    ^My reaction exactly. My theory is that the French deal very badly with stuff that isn't, well, in French. Since there are only English and Spanish options in M+, it's probably lagging behind in France and the French-speaking world. Considering how well Brazil is doing, they could start doing some series in Portuguese too, at least the most popular ones.
    I small surprise, still a surprise considering that the average brazilian is not well versed with foreign languages. Of what's running on Mangaplus, Panini has been doing Black Clover, One Piece, Boruto, Naruto, Jojo's Parts 1-3 (as far as I know), Bleach, Dr. Stone, Jujutsu Kaisen, Assassination Classroom, KnY and Promised Neverland. MHA and HxH are with JBC. So I guess the deal with Panini would be better. If any is interested this is the list of titles that Panini has:
    Hidden:

Or maybe, the Weeb population of LA countries just happens to be greater than it is in Europe.

If we go by piracy, we must take into consideration that piracy is often a greater phenomenon in less developed nations, so it just does't make sense that Mexico has extra money to legally consume Manga, but France is barely making a penny and can only get it ilegally.

France is the second comic market in the world and one of the most creative. Books for kids is also a huge market
    And when confinment stopped, people went back to bookstores a lot.

I think the issue is more that the Jump catalogue is divided in too many editors (One Piece and Bleach are by Glenat, My Hero Accademia is by Ki-oon, Naruto is by Kana, Demon Slayer is by Panini, Kurokawa just got Spy x Family and Kaze gets the small titles) that it is why the French language is not supported by Mangaplus

Yup, I'm reading on Mangaplus as well.

On top of a divided catalogue and messy rights, I would be tempted to blame our local, physical, comic market. My impression is that french publishers have been at least as conservative as the japanese if not worse when it comes to taking the digital step. I mean, we're big on comics, but where is the french Comixology ? If there is one, does it come even close to being a competitor ? Because of this, I would hasard that french readers at large aren't a very digital-oriented audience.

Add to this that they would be either too uncomfortable with english to read on M+, or good enough but possibly unaware since the site probably doesn't advertise itself to the french market. I only heard of it because I visit AP regularly, never saw a french add about the service (not that I visit libraries much in recent months tahnks to covid). Which I would be surprised to see french editors push anyway since it is not their service and from their point of view it may cut down physical sales.
    Last edited by Seafarer33; October 13th, 2020 at 01:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    , but where is the french Comixology ? If there is one, does it come even close to being a competitor ?
    There are at least 2, Izneo and Sequencity.

And mangas.io is trying something but their catalogue is too small yet and without big titles
    Last edited by Kdom; October 13th, 2020 at 04:33 AM.

Just found out...
    All my favorite mangas are in different publications, or even published by different companies:

1) One Piece (Shounen Jump) - Shueisha
    2) Outlaw Star (Young Jump) - Shueisha
    3) Magic Kaito (Shounen Sunday) - Shogakukan, who founded Shueisha
    4) Yaiba (Shounen Sunday) - Shogakukan
    5) Tonari no Seki-kun (Comic Flapper) - Media Factory
    Last edited by Ne0; October 15th, 2020 at 07:27 AM.
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
    Let it all go: Fear, doubt, disbelief.
    FREE YOUR MIND!

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    France is the second comic market in the world and one of the most creative. Books for kids is also a huge market
    And when confinment stopped, people went back to bookstores a lot.

I think the issue is more that the Jump catalogue is divided in too many editors (One Piece and Bleach are by Glenat, My Hero Accademia is by Ki-oon, Naruto is by Kana, Demon Slayer is by Panini, Kurokawa just got Spy x Family and Kaze gets the small titles) that it is why the French language is not supported by Mangaplus
    That's probably not it, because the Spanish-speaking market is an even bigger mess, since not only it's split by series, but also by countries. One Piece is by Planeta in Spain, Panini in Mexico and Ivrea in Argentina. Demon Slayer is the same except it's Norma in Spain. And that's how it usually goes, with Panini having the rights in Mexico, Ivrea in Argentina and Norma or Planeta in Spain, but then you have things like Panini has Naruto in Argentina and Ivrea licensed Act-Age in Spain.

But they've managed to make an app that works in all Spanish-speaking countries without getting sued, so it can be done if they really want. Manga+ is mostly a way to publicize the WSJ series internationally by giving samples after all. It's not really competing with the licensor. If you want to own the series you still have to buy from whoever owns it in your country (well, or import it). Now, if they wanted to include a paid subscription service like the Viz vault, that would be extremely problematic.

And I think the rest of the european markets is just as messy. Viz's monopoly in the Anglosphere is actually the exception, not the rule.
    Last edited by Sengokusgoat; October 18th, 2020 at 05:21 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information