+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English releases)

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

Number of countries is what they are going for, the French editorials are way more organized with the volume releases and manga available than the 3-5 Spanish ones in Spain, vs the other 4 in Latam.

They could also have gone with piracy numbers, that precisely because your market is bigger, it is seen as solid enough.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

The biggest manga market, Japanese, was also excluded.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Default Re: New MANGA Plus service from Shueisha (global, legal, simul, free, English release

Do I need to acquire something to get access to previous chapters or something?

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Do I need to acquire something to get access to previous chapters or something?
    It looks like this app doesn't have that. I guess a sacrifice to be made to conquer the world, is to do it for free.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

The app showed me an add for a dating site. It had the google format .

Jiguraku is complete, or at least up to 50~.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

So now that these chapters are free worldwide are we adjusting the rules or still go with the I gotta read it a couple days earlier excuse and therefore still have threads based on scanlation discussions for one piece etc?
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Some things I've noted looking around the app:
    - It only has the first three and the three most recent chapters from Shonen Jump series. The other chapters are said to be non-available right now.
    - I'm from Japan, HunterxHunter, David and Hinomaru Sumo are available in Manga Plus, but not in Viz's Shonen Jump. Hinomaru has 12 chapters available (1-6 and 221-226)
    - Catalogue titles also have only three chapters, but a new chapter is said to arrive every Saturday. I imagine they'll do a delayed weekly publication like they do for some series in the Japanese Shonen Jump Plus (they are available worldwide, here's the one for Stardust Crusaders https://shonenjumpplus.com/episode/10834108156636902222). That's probably what they mean by "re-edition". Outside of Shonen Jump stuff, these include Claymore and Tokyo Ghoul.
    - Some original Shonen Jump Plus titles are also available, a number of them without missing chapters.

Seems like an interesting app, even for those who already have a Viz's.
    I don't like its name, though. It makes it look like an illegal knockoff. I would have gone for something like Shonen Jump Global.

Yeah, the name is a no-no, I guess they wanted to separate themselves from WSJ, but the naming and logo seems like the old android readers.

Hell, my last job called it's products like that "Banking Plus" or the like, so it's extra awkward for me.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Double pages are horrible in the web browser. The reader is lighter and better than Viz's when it comes to full screen(but the scan's quality is worse and the double page issues) . I'll try it on my ipad later, maybe it is different than the web version.

Someone sent this before and I completely disregarded it thinking it was the VIZ thing.

I'm curious, though. If Shueisha can allow anyone anywhere to access it, what keeps VIZ from doing the same?

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    So now that these chapters are free worldwide are we adjusting the rules or still go with the I gotta read it a couple days earlier excuse and therefore still have threads based on scanlation discussions for one piece etc?
    There is nothing to adjust to, the forum has been following the release for one month now, not the scanlations. We have one thread for spoilers (which encompass scanlations as well) and one for the thread opened at the release date. The difference is that hopefully now we won't need to spend half the discussion threads arguing about availability.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I'm curious, though. If Shueisha can allow anyone anywhere to access it, what keeps VIZ from doing the same?
    If I had to guess: Viz only bought the rights from Shueisha for English-speaking countries. Meanwhile, Shueisha, being the original publisher, has worldwide publishing rights.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post

There is nothing to adjust to, the forum has been following the release for one month now, not the scanlations. We have one thread for spoilers (which encompass scanlations as well) and one for the thread opened at the release date. The difference is that hopefully now we won't need to spend half the discussion threads arguing about availability.
    You're right. Expect to still see people complain that they can't read viz chapters without realizing this new service exists. xD
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

We already pushed for endorsing the official release when Viz made the switch two months ago, including spoiler tags on series before the official day and not releasing the OP chapter officially until then. It was basically a trial period with a chance of going back, but with SHueisha taking this step I think its even more important that we keep trying.

But as long as the majority of the forum prefers the one day earlier bootlegs and discussing spoilers, there's not much else we can do. Taking that away would probably kill the site overnight. Hopefully in time more and more people will switch to supporting the official release, or the bootlegs slow down or something, and we can just go the official route full time. In the meantime, we're encouraging the official as best we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike79 View Post
    If I had to guess: Viz only bought the rights from Shueisha for English-speaking countries. Meanwhile, Shueisha, being the original publisher, has worldwide publishing rights.
    And Shueisha is apparently using the Viz translation so... there's some kind of synergy there.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Someone knows what this Naruto re-edition they do is?

Without any deep look at it, I'd say they would republish Naruto a chapter a week for some extra clicks.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

You're right. Expect to still see people complain that they can't read viz chapters without realizing this new service exists. xD
    if one puts the link which is available by everyone, they won't complain

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    if one puts the link which is available by everyone, they won't complain
    They will complain as long as Jaiminisbox and Mangastrema are pushing chapters out 2 days earlier and these chapters aren't being discussed. I've seen some complain because they have to login to see discussion, when they've been able to just browse it all before.

This all makes me wonder if Shueisha and Viz are going to come down hard on scanlators now, which is something they've done a few times in the past. I've appreciated the scans to this point, but a week is a week and that's how long we have to wait, every time, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    And Shueisha is apparently using the Viz translation so... there's some kind of synergy there.
    Except for series that Viz doesn't have licensed, the translation/lettering is outsourced to Media Do (take a look at Hinomaru, say).
    It's...not quite the happy synergy it seems.

But still great for consumers :)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    And so it was, that the sole reason to use scans became, "I'm impatient."
    It's always been tho.

Seems I'm blind, where can I buy the backlog on Manga Plus?

The uncleaned pages look really bad, but this is good enough for me if the offer is similiar to Viz'.

Edit: Nvm, I guess it's simply not available (yet?).
    Last edited by Jabra; January 28th, 2019 at 07:38 PM.

Then where will Viz go? Will it eventually be merged / absorbed into this new shonen jump plus service and disappear?

Quote Originally Posted by Laffitte Doflamingo View Post
    Then where will Viz go? Will it eventually be merged / absorbed into this new shonen jump plus service and disappear?
    Nope! Different, separate services for different demos.

The Viz territories get the full "vault" (backlog) for sub ($2/month), and three latest chapters for free.
    Shueisha's MANGA Plus gets first + latest chapters for free, and digital volumes for purchase. Not a subscription. Money comes from ads.

People in Viz territories can use one or the other (or both); rest of the world can (legally) use MANGA Plus.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information