+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 157

Thread: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

  1. #21

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    [video

    New Episode of our podcast up

    Also from the spoiler thread




    Whoa this was a nice chapter

    Observations

    Like the moment where Sanji explained why he is alright with using it even though I thought it was pretty obvious where his motivation would be
    Really like all the applications of it being explained and I love the invisible connection as it doesnt give him extra combat power but hides his presence
    Stuff with Robin is interesting, if she had no obstacles her getting to the poneglyphs wouldnt have felt like a big deal
    Big Mom showing up on the shores already was a major twist and her having some memory issues was another shock

    Thoughts

    -Interesting to see what role Big Mom's "Rox" History, Pudding, Caramel and Memories play a role in this arc
    -for now she's not hostile but still dangerous if provoked so I wonder when she'll get her memories back
    -her and kaido clashing would be very cool but It'd kind of diminish Luffy's victory if he was only the second strongest to fight her
    Last edited by Long John Silvers Rayleigh; February 3rd, 2019 at 06:48 PM.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:



  2. #22

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    YABADABAAAdon't...

    For the first time in a long time(maybe ever?) there is something I really don't like in One Piece. Still like most events in the comic I'll calmly wait to see where it goes long term. I'm not even too caught up on his reasoning to use the suit in this moment, him hitting a woman and this is a bit different for me. I just feel like the suit is both too far removed from what Sanji has been established as both physical appearance and combat wise.

    Some people here often point out that Sanji needs to keep up when it comes to fights but I think that is pure BS when Sanji never had a personal conflict with himself like Usopp did during Water 7. Well he did at Saboady when people started disappearing. If Oda wanted Sanji's kicks to be stronger he'd make them stronger. But Sanji isn't going to knock out the biggest and baddest monsters of an arc by himself when the arc is at its middle point. The timing and structure of the story almost always dictate how a fight will go especially if the opponent is end game for their arc. What happens early between 2 characters, can be very different from what happens in the middle or end with the very same characters. Luffy and Zoro VS CP9 on Water 7 VS the end. Sanji VS Blueno on the Sea Train VS Sanji against Jyabra at Enies Lobby. And don't forget to keep in mind all that BS doruki/power level difference between Jyabra and Blueno.

    Like when people got mad that Luffy lost early against Caesar I'm quietly like just shut the eF up and wait, it's not time for Luffy to win just yet. With Sanji nothing has been drawn out and conclusive in all these years after the time skip.

    If the idea was to give Sanji flight via the suit why in the world would one of his major power ups gained through the time skip be exactly that? It's just a derivative way of doing what he already could. We know he can move so fast that others can't see him but now with rocket boots he can do that even faster and now with actual invisibility? When fighting Mr 2, Sanji casually remarks that he has broken ribs again. Jyabra manages to catch Sanji with that 10 finger shigan/finger pistol and the fight goes on. Vergo manages to damage Sanji's leg but that wasn't the end of the fight, Sanji continues on as if it didn't happen and then later winces once when things are calmed down and we never hear of it again. Inside of Sanji's body Nami notes how durable he is. When running from the Charlotte family Sanji is shot and doesn't even realize it. Now he has a cape that protects him immensely. Does that not seem odd to anyone else?

    Style wise I concede that Sanji and Franky could make it more like his usual style.

    I really wonder where Oda is going to go with this suit. Seeing Usopp and Franky light up give me hope that Sanji dumps the thing and they find uses for the technology be it for themselves or someone else.

    Sanji outright said he didn't want his strength to come from something like that and I still believe him but boy does it now seem like peeking on the girls with that thing will over ride his old train of thought.

    Now don't get me started on what that represents with Judge and the family. Aside from that I'm still banking on the Vinsmokes returning and Sanji doing something extraordinary combat wise(that he earned with only his physical know how and effort) that the suited up Vinsmoke children couldn't even hope to accomplish.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

  3. #23

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Watching all the OP reactors rage at the Big Mom amnesia is hilarious. I don't like it, but I'm being a little reserved to see how Oda takes it.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    I feel like I'm the only one who loved the Raid suit and hopes Sanji keeps using it

  5. #25
    Arf. (ᵔᴥᵔ) FelRes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SoCal

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Quote Originally Posted by RomanceDawn View Post
    If the idea was to give Sanji flight via the suit why in the world would one of his major power ups gained through the time skip be exactly that? It's just a derivative way of doing what he already could. We know he can move so fast that others can't see him but now with rocket boots he can do that even faster and now with actual invisibility? When fighting Mr 2, Sanji casually remarks that he has broken ribs again. Jyabra manages to catch Sanji with that 10 finger shigan/finger pistol and the fight goes on. Vergo manages to damage Sanji's leg but that wasn't the end of the fight, Sanji continues on as if it didn't happen and then later winces once when things are calmed down and we never hear of it again. Inside of Sanji's body Nami notes how durable he is. When running from the Charlotte family Sanji is shot and doesn't even realize it. Now he has a cape that protects him immensely. Does that not seem odd to anyone else?
    No? A fast, durable character just became faster and more durable. And that extra speed will add to his kicks. We're entering late game in the story here, stuff like this is gonna make all the difference. Why have him fight while damaged when he can be going closer to undamaged at this point? That's progression. And potential gags aside, the invisibility could have a lot of utility. He's obviously not just gonna use it to spy on girls.

    It also helps makes his action sequences more entertaining. Sanji's had some good fights, but in general he has the most boring combat since he's just the kicking guy (as opposed to the weather witch, the mecha cyborg, the plant sniper, etc).

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I feel like I'm the only one who loved the Raid suit and hopes Sanji keeps using it
    Nah, I love it too. I hate Sanji from the Kalifa fight to Dressrosa, but Zou onward he's actually improved a ton in all aspects. The raid suit especially is a great tool for his character growth.
    Last edited by FelRes; February 3rd, 2019 at 09:31 PM.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

  6. #26
    The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Somewhere or other

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Chapter comparisons! Very few differences this week.
    • Page One just asks Sanji in Jaimini's Box if he's holding a can, whereas in Mangastream and VIZ, he asks if Sanji has canned food. Also, an MS-ism: MS has Law say "Just forget about the town, dang it".
    • Law describes himself as a "dyed-in-the-wool reader" in MS, making it sound like he still does read it and is a staunch reader; JB and VIZ make it sound more like he doesn't (or at least as much) anymore, as he says he "used to" read in in JB and that he "was a regular reader" in VIZ. The latter is further enforced by Law saying in VIZ that the newspapers ran the Sora comic years years ago.
    • When Page One comments on Sanji being an invisible man, his words about it are a little different in each version. He says "Something's definitely very suspicious" in MS, "This is getting weirder and weirder" in JB, and "Now I'm very curious..." in VIZ.
    • As they're leaving for Ebisu town, Law states in MS that "the commotion's just going to get worse", in JB that "we just keep causing problem after problem", and in VIZ that there will be "more fuss about us".
    • In MS, it seems like Fukurokuju is either being a bit more lenient to Robin, or mockingly pretending to be, since he says "I see we've got a very lost geisha here. I will accept your excuse now. Just this once.", while in JB he says "You're quite the troublesome geisha" and in VIZ, "Curiosity can be deadly, geisha", followed up by both versions having him say that she has one excuse/chance to explain herself.
    • MS erroneously has Chopper say he'll kill Momo where he stands if he doesn't be quiet, whereas JB and VIZ make it clear that he's saying he'll finish Big Mom off right now.
    Hidden:

  7. #27

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    I'm curious about Sanji's motivation for putting on the suit -- he doesn't want to be identified, but Page One and a bunch of other townsfolk have already seen what he really looks like. Am I missing something?

    It'd seem more plausible if Sanji put the suit on initially to avoid detection. The stealth powers would then become a convenient bonus.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    Nice chapter, but I'm really in two minds on Sanji's suit and Big Mom's amnesia.

    The suit is some of the best Sanji action we've seen in years, but at the same time I would much rather we'd seen him ponder using it beforehand, and not right in the middle of a fight. With the emphasis that was placed on his detestation of everything Germa I thought he would have needed more (screen) time to come to terms with it. Plus, I'm disappointed that the answer to Sanji's lack of performance is one tightly-packed can of miracle science and not some silly Okama transformation he'd have been to ashamed to use before .
    I really like that you either thought about it yourself or seen my theory on Sanji being too ashamed to use Life Return that makes him look Okamish.

    As hard as it is I must say that Kishido had nice idea in spoiler thread - that now as Sanji can get invisible he can use some Okama kenpo

  9. #29

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    MS erroneously has Chopper say he'll kill Momo where he stands if he doesn't be quiet, whereas JB and VIZ make it clear that he's saying he'll finish Big Mom off right now.
    lmao

    ......................

  10. #30

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Quote Originally Posted by 1000sunny View Post
    I'm curious about Sanji's motivation for putting on the suit -- he doesn't want to be identified, but Page One and a bunch of other townsfolk have already seen what he really looks like. Am I missing something?

    It'd seem more plausible if Sanji put the suit on initially to avoid detection. The stealth powers would then become a convenient bonus.
    Page One and the townsfolk don't know that he's a member of the Strawhat crew.

    Hawkins and Drake on the other hand would/should know that according to Law. Hence him wearing the suit so they won't recognize him, because otherwise they'd start a manhunt for him and the rest of the crew. But this same chapter has Law reveal that actually, anyone that hails from North Blue (i.e. Hawkins and Drake) should definitely recognize what a raid suit is. So that complicates things.

    So now it's left to be seen if Hawkins and Drake are:

    - Actually aware of what went down in Totland, namely that Sanji is a Vinsmoke
    - If they are aware, that they would come to the conclusion that Sanji is wearing the raid suit, despite never having been seen in one before.

    That said, if Sanji deals with Page One and escapes before they arrive, then it shouldn't have to come to that anyhow.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Page One and the townsfolk don't know that he's a member of the Strawhat crew.

    Hawkins and Drake on the other hand would/should know that according to Law. Hence him wearing the suit so they won't recognize him, because otherwise they'd start a manhunt for him and the rest of the crew. But this same chapter has Law reveal that actually, anyone that hails from North Blue (i.e. Hawkins and Drake) should definitely recognize what a raid suit is. So that complicates things.

    So now it's left to be seen if Hawkins and Drake are:

    - Actually aware of what went down in Totland, namely that Sanji is a Vinsmoke
    - If they are aware, that they would come to the conclusion that Sanji is wearing the raid suit, despite never having been seen in one before.

    That said, if Sanji deals with Page One and escapes before they arrive, then it shouldn't have to come to that anyhow.
    Thanks, that clears things up a bit. Think it's still a bit of a reach as a motivation for him to use this allegedly dreaded heirloom, but it makes sense now.

  12. #32
    element freak Logia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Sea of Washington -> Gray's Harbor

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Sanji looks cool in the suit, interesting how the suit makes his hair fluff up like his siblings. Funny how he got in invisibility powers, I also find it interesting how Absalom was brought in the story recently, or at least his crew/devil fruit.

    Big Mom is... Lucky to be alive? Here we see that she washed up on the beach rather than at the bottom of the ocean. Implying none of her children saved her, I wonder if any of her devil fruit children sunk to the bottom of the ocean and died or if they got saved by their siblings. Also losing your memory on another yonko's territory is a deathwish once they find out. At least Chopper and friends found her first.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    And Big Mom? I have NO idea where Oda is going with this... though it does better pave the way for pudding and old witnesses to fill her in on how shes ACTUALLY been. So... we'll see. My guess is this'll be used as a way to have her fight Kaidou directly and whittle him down some. Had assumed that was going to wait until Elbaf but I guess not!
    Shoot I forgot about Pudding and her powers. Pudding never had to do anything! For now at least.

  13. #33
    Stowaway w/ 17k posts Kishido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Quote Originally Posted by Logia View Post
    Sanji looks cool in the suit, interesting how the suit makes his hair fluff up like his siblings.
    No it looks bad I somehow it makes no sense...

  14. #34
    𝐎 𝐒𝐎𝐁𝐀 𝐌𝐀𝐒𝐊 uniaka ikuzakas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    I can get why Sanji is doing this. Because of his pride he didn't want to learn how to fight from the okamas, he would rather self train instead. And where did that get him? Almost dead along with his crew from doflamingo, almost dead him and luffy at Cacao island or the wedding. He saw the power of yonkou in cake island and knows he if doesn't give his best and puts his pride aside for the sake of his friends, it's cake island all over again. And I doubt Kaidou likes cakes.
    Last edited by uniaka ikuzakas; February 4th, 2019 at 02:01 AM.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Also now it all makes a lot of sense. I mean what Oda was doing with Sanjis showing. He shown us plenty of times that Sanji is just a step from Luffy and Zoro. So very strong fighter that needs a bit more durability and speed to be up on par with Luffy and Zoro and how he got it.

    If Oda would have shown us Sanji doing as good as Luffy and Zoro then there would be almost no point in adding that Raid Suit. It would make people question if Sanji gotten stronger than Zoro with that sort of upgrade if they would do equally well.


    Also today I thought about Sanji using his Raid Suit to use old-fashioned Diable Jambe but with stronger effect.

    What I mean ? Before time skip Sanji was spinning to use Diable Jambe, now he is doing it on a fly without being shown to spin.

    Raid Suits were shown to be flame proof and Judge could grab Sanjis leg covered in diable jambe with his hand and suffer no damage at all. So maybe Sanji with his spinning and his current fire can create Blue Diable Jambe ?

    He has suit that can withstand Diable Jambe without smallest problems so if he uses CoA hardening on it, then some of his fire and then adds spinning maybe he can amplify his own fighting techniques with it.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    A pretty high quality chapter to return to a normal schedule from and a pretty hype ending for volume 92. Sanji talking a big game about swallowing his pride for a greater cause hints at the kind of character growth he's needed for a long time. Now, if he could just make it apply to certain other hangups... The stealth powers were a fun choice, as much as I was hoping for a masked design that could make it onto his poster and somehow come round to bit Duval in the ass again, or something like that. Hopefully there's a little more action left to show when we cut back to this scene next. And what are Drake and Hawkins up to?

    The best part about the ninja scene is how casually Oda decides to just throw literally a dozen new characters into the story in a single spread. This is why the numbering on the Vivre Cards is designed to run into the thousands. I like the little guy whose headpiece looks like a thatched roof. And the catfish. Not the guy riding the catfish, just the fish.

    That Big Mom twist is the last thing I never expected, but in hindsight, I'm growing to enjoy the possibilities it holds. I remember through Tottoland there was speculation the cake saga would end with Big Mom or her family forgiving the Strawhats and joining them to fight Kaido competing with speculation of how she could work as a returning enemy in a future saga. We're kinda getting the best of both worlds. Surely this means Pudding has joined the trip to Wano, as a stowaway if nothing else. There's no way we're doing a memory loss plot for her mum that doesn't involve her memory powers.

    Very keen to see where it's all going.

    Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    • MS erroneously has Chopper say he'll kill Momo where he stands if he doesn't be quiet, whereas JB and VIZ make it clear that he's saying he'll finish Big Mom off right now.
    What and how the literal fuck.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Oh sure, NOW Sanji is willing to stop caring about his principles in order to save random strangers, but back when it was Robin's life on the line he just couldn't fight to save his life.

    Speaking of Robin, wonder where here plotthread is going. All those ninja designs are fun. I especially like the completely covered up guy.
    Not hitting women is a commandment of god, it has nothing to do with principles...

    As for Robin, I would not be surprised if those Ninjas were not enemies in the end. I like the design of the big ones but the big mistery for me is what is the catfish

  18. #38
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Nice design. Shitty unnecessary hairstyle.

    The execution to using the suit is not especially bad. I just don't like the idea of sanji using the suit considering his relationship with the Germa and how tightly it was related to being to weak.

    I wonder what the redesign will look like. Especially the boots which looks silly.

    Big is one big wild card. I'm not even sure I could be calm enough around her to try to use her.



  19. #39
    Saemon Havarian Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Croatia

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Quote Originally Posted by Watch-man View Post
    Also now it all makes a lot of sense. I mean what Oda was doing with Sanjis showing. He shown us plenty of times that Sanji is just a step from Luffy and Zoro. So very strong fighter that needs a bit more durability and speed to be up on par with Luffy and Zoro and how he got it.

    If Oda would have shown us Sanji doing as good as Luffy and Zoro then there would be almost no point in adding that Raid Suit. It would make people question if Sanji gotten stronger than Zoro with that sort of upgrade if they would do equally well.
    It feels to me like Oda has no idea what he wants to do with Sanji or how. Which is evident in the lack of exposure in action compared to other heavy hitters. His last real 1 on 1 was during EL for fuck sake. He learned some moves during time skip, which Oda never bothered showing in these 400 chapters since it ended. Now he gives him this raid suit and is extra awkward in the way he set it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

    It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Chapter 931: Soba Mask

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    It feels to me like Oda has no idea what he wants to do with Sanji or how. Which is evident in the lack of exposure in action compared to other heavy hitters. His last real 1 on 1 was during EL for fuck sake. He learned some moves during time skip, which Oda never bothered showing in these 400 chapters since it ended. Now he gives him this raid suit and is extra awkward in the way he set it up.

    I have completely different feel, sorry. I feel that it fits well, with redesign even better.

    Now he can use Okama Kenpo etc. - his talk about letting pride go can be also prelude to him using some Okama techniques.

    Also as I wrote he can make use of suit to amplify power of his current techniques, with Raid Suit heat resistance he can go further with his Diable Jambe.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts