+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

Default Re: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

We've got 3 rivals this time around, and all of them aim for the same goal: to earn the title of champion. Like in the previous trailer, the League is being given more focus than in any past generation.

As for the rivals themselves, Hop is the nice and sorta privileged guy, Bede is the jerkass with a smug look, and Marnie strikes me as a mix of the two former. Personally, I think Marnie is going to be our main rival, as she doesn't (as it appears) own any of the starters.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

To be honest, I don't remember much about XY except that I beat it way too easily and I hated zygarde's design.
    Also the weak plot and low budget doc ock..
    Mega evolutions being poorly executed and shoving charizard X into our faces through the marketing department didn't really help.
    I don't even remember the name of my rival(s)?
    Or some if not most of the gym leaders(i had to google)

It's funny how plot is mentioned because for a kids game Pokemon has a pretty good plot.
    I don't understand how anyone can not care about the plot when that's where the lore and worldbuilding of the franchise happens.
    Unless you mean of course you don't care because it's a story for kids so why bother and I look at USUM and I'll agree.

Pokemon games have a plot?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Pokemon games have a plot?
    The bad ones do.

I'm glad the rivals seem at least a bit interesting in this. I hated the "rivals" of XY and SM.

My personal opinion is that B&W completely nailed the best balance of characters. You obviously can't repeat it beat-for-beat, but I feel they really dropped off developing the rivals after Gen 5.

We got 3 main rivals in Gen 5(Bianca, Cheren, and N). Bianca, who from the get-go was made out to be someone genuinely interested in being a Pokemon Trainer and going against her father's wishes. And while she does prove her own worth as a strong trainer, decides to focus in the study of Pokemon. It's a great development, similar to the anime's Garry.

Cheren is the more friendly Blue. He doesn't become the Champion like Blue did, but throughout the entire first games of Gen 5 he's a genuine rival without having the annoyance Barry did in Gen 4. Cheren felt very real. I had many friends who I could say were similar to Cheren. Just genuinely good people who loved Pokemon and loved to battle. In my opinion, Cheren in ones of the best rivals because he not only is a good character, but feels like an equal. With Barry it always felt like a guy desperately trying to one-up you because he thought being a strong trainer was"coo;". Especially after finding out his dad was a Frontier member.

Cheren was a normal dude just as into training as the main player. And he worked his way up to a Gym leader through genuine hard work. I love that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Never understood the appeal in a jerkass rival. Blue had nothing particularly interesting, neither Silver, and don't get me started on that guy from D/P whose name I already forgot. So far the best rivals are Wally (ORAS) and Gen 5, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekketsu View Post
    Never understood the appeal in a jerkass rival. Blue had nothing particularly interesting, neither Silver, and don't get me started on that guy from D/P whose name I already forgot. So far the best rivals are Wally (ORAS) and Gen 5, IMO.
    Silver was good because he started out as an unrepentant bastard, who very slowly learned to love his pokémon through the players influence. He's the only one with actual character development as far as I can remember.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Quote Originally Posted by The D. View Post
    Silver was good because he started out as an unrepentant bastard, who very slowly learned to love his pokémon through the players influence. He's the only one with actual character development as far as I can remember.
    Later finding out Silver was Giovanni's kid only added to it.

FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

Am I the only one who's not impressed with team yell

I mean team rocket was a true mafia organization, team aqua and magma had dreams of remaking the world in there image, as did other organizations in the franchise that came after, and then we had groups that wanted to stop Pokémon battles all together

And now we have team Yell..... who are just a fan base for the rival? Am I missing something here?

I'm guessing there's another team they haven't revealed yet.

Well, in Alola they already moved from having the Team being the game true villain. Maybe now they took it a step further.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Am I the only one who's not impressed with team yell

I mean team rocket was a true mafia organization, team aqua and magma had dreams of remaking the world in there image, as did other organizations in the franchise that came after, and then we had groups that wanted to stop Pokémon battles all together

And now we have team Yell..... who are just a fan base for the rival? Am I missing something here?
    So instead of having cheerleaders like Gary, we get thugs who battle in her place. Got it.

FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    To be honest, the character never moved the plot in the games. If anything, the plot in pokémon games was always about the evil teams. It was the story of their offensive and downfall. You are just that nameless person who happens to cross their path and ruin their plans, but it really isn't your story, you are just a nobody who conversely plays a major role.
    Unsurprisingly, once you beat the evil team and all that is left is fight the league and the champion, you can feel like the game plot already ended and you are playing events completely detached from it instead of being its closing chapter.

The story of the player itself is a non-story and is exactly the same through every game: battles 8 gyms for no reason, battles the league for no reason, battles the champion for no reason. You are basically an arrow: you were shot and you can't help but fly in that specific direction and fall on a specific point without any saying or will of your own.

Alola was the first time when the overall plot of the game somehow converged with the player's character own experience. Through Lillie, Aether, your character played a sort of role in the story besides being the nameless ruiner of evil plans. Rather than both being different "plots" that happen to intersect in specific moments, they actually walked together.
    Now in Galar apparently everything will be tied to the Champion Cup so for the first time you fighting gyms and the league will actually be a part of the game plot and move the story.
    I do think that in the first few gens you could feel like you have more agency. Like, nobody told you to save Silph Co. from Team Rocket. Sure, you had to do it to progress the game, so there wasn't actually a choice, but at least the illusion of free will was there(that's all video games can really achieve anyways). That's just not possible with something as linear as BW or as absurdly hand-holdy as SM. XY kinda tried to go the aventure route again, but the execution was as bad as it possibly could.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Taking a stab in the dark here, but I'd say that, yes, we are missing something here. People are suggesting there's a separate team/organization serving as the real villains like last time, but I'm leaning more towards the idea that Team Yell have ulterior motives, possibly involving keeping tabs on Marnie for whatever reason.

Although if they're secretly working for Rose/Oleana or whoever it will be heavily similar to Team Skull working with Lusamine anyway.

3DS FC: 0619-3258-8245

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    - The starters.
    What was wrong with the starters? For me, I really liked the Fennekin evolution line, especially the middle stage.

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - Unknown; Character - Unknown; Series - Unknown

And this is just an appetizer. If a certain leak about him from the same guy that hinted at that guy and Marney is true, hoo boy.

A backpack. Whoop-de-freaking-do.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    A backpack. Whoop-de-freaking-do.
    A Pokemon died so that we could have that $120 backpack.
    :(

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

I would much rather the bonus be some stupid backpack than something most people wouldnt get but would be genuinely cool to have. Like a unique haircut or something .
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information