Gen1 - Bulbasaur
    Gen2 - Totodile
    Gen3 - Torchick
    Gen4 - Turtwig
    Gen5 - Tepig
    Gen6 - Snivy
    Gen7 - Rowlet
    Gen8 - Scorbunny.

I'm actually surprised at how many times Ive gone Grass starter now that I wrote that out. Every starter I had was great except Snivy. Seprperior was grossly underpowered amd losing large chunks of health at each attack. Maybe I ended up with a weird Nature combo but since I never pay attention to those things it became the first Starter I had to bench halfway thru my journey.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Default Re: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

Oh, right, I forgot about that. Ok, I take back what I said, having to pay extra to have access to those (on top of any trade evolution) changes everything. And reminded me that I will still have to pay for that (not exactly because I also intend to have it as a bonus of a bonus when I sign Amazon Prime) since I never bothered...

I do understand your point. I just wanted to explain my perspective. In my opinion, version differences add nothing. It served a purpose in the gameboy days, but no longer has a place in the games. It serves only to provide incentive collectors to buy two versions of nearly the same exact game for $60 each. I think it's a grubby anti-consumer practice which amounts to developed content intentionally left out of the game. Online gaming is the standard now. People will battle / trade with friends unprompted. The games no longer need to force those features on players. People play games much differently now than they did in 1996 / 1998 when online gaming wasn't a thing. As Envy stated, online is no longer a free feature. It is a small cost, but a cost nonetheless. People also defended moving the national dex to bank in Gen 7 on the basis that it's worse, but not substantially worse enough to matter. Now here we are in gen 8 with some Pokemon Thanos snapped out of existence. Also, as I mentioned, there are things which just can't be traded (gyms for example). Not to mention, legendary Pokemon are one of a kind and version exclusive. The practice at this point to be perpetuated for the folks that will buy both versions of the game to experience all the features, which is just a crazy price tag for small differences in content which should all be included in a single game for the $60 price tag. Not only have they cut out old Pokemon, but you can't even catch all of the limited number of new Pokemon in a game that costs the same amount as Breath of the Wild and Smash Ultimate. It's not right, but they can get away with it because Pokemon sells like hotcakes and people will keep buying the games and keep defending the removal of features as insignificant (not referring to you or anyone else in this topic btw.

I just feel like so many of Game Freak's decisions hold the series back in substantial enough ways that I just can't get into new games despite liking the new Pokemon and wanting to like the games. It has nothing to do with growing tired of Pokemon, only Game Freak's development and business practices.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    Gen1 - Bulbasaur
    Gen2 - Totodile
    Gen3 - Torchick
    Gen4 - Turtwig
    Gen5 - Tepig
    Gen6 - Snivy
    Gen7 - Rowlet
    Gen8 - Scorbunny.

I'm actually surprised at how many times Ive gone Grass starter now that I wrote that out. Every starter I had was great except Snivy. Seprperior was grossly underpowered amd losing large chunks of health at each attack. Maybe I ended up with a weird Nature combo but since I never pay attention to those things it became the first Starter I had to bench halfway thru my journey.
    Amazing, you managed to start with a Gen 5 Pokemon in Gen 6! Poor Chespin, Froakie and Fennekin.
    3DS Friendcode: 2921-9337-3545

I think I'm gonna commit to sobble here and now. Their personality just matches my own too well, lol.
    Btw how many of you guys already have an idea for your first team in sword and shield?
    Gonna give ya the D.!

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pkbaldy View Post
    Amazing, you managed to start with a Gen 5 Pokemon in Gen 6! Poor Chespin, Froakie and Fennekin.
    BLUH! I knew I should have looked it up before posting. ^__^;;;;

Gen1 - Bulbasaur
    Gen2 - Totodile
    Gen3 - Torchick
    Gen4 - Turtwig
    Gen5 - Snivy (pt1) Tepig (pt 2)
    Gen6 - Froakie
    Gen7 - Rowlet
    Gen8 - Scorbunny.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

For the first 3 gens I enjoyed playing with both the fire and water starters in the different versions. Which ones I may have considered my main are long lost to history and can't remotely remember anymore. In gen 4, I couldn't go with anything but piplup. At gen 5 I stopped playing both versions and this is for sure when I started basing starter choice off final evolutions. Had to go with Snivy, Fennekin, and Poplio from there on.

I can't commit to a Gen 8 one without seeing final evolutions, but as base forms Scorbunny is in the lead for me right now. I still haven't had a region where I dropped my starter altogether, but this could always be the one. I haven't seen enough to think I've got a team yet. Just know I want an Alcremie and this new Ponyta form.

What do you guys think the themes are for the different Pokémon starters

For example I heard gen 6 was based off the RPG classes Fighter, Mage and Theif

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    What do you guys think the themes are for the different Pokémon starters

For example I heard gen 6 was based off the RPG classes Fighter, Mage and Theif

Basically Soccer(Scorebunny), Theater(Sobble) and Punk Metal (Grookey).

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post

I thought sobble's theme was espionage?
    Gonna give ya the D.!

@ trading , not everyone is able to do that either. I'm not able to trade, or to pay for online since I'm not allowed to do online purchases and wouldn't know how to even if I was allowed, I can only do physical cash.

Not that it matters much to me though since I'm not interested in completing the Pokedex or transferring Pokemon or stuff like that. I play for the adventure and sometimes a couple side features like Contests and Mantine Surfing.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Yeah, lots of factors that could limit someone from trading online. Until late 2014, I didn't have a wireless router, thus I didn't have Wi-Fi. I had an ethernet cable converter that plugged into my Wii U, but no such thing existed for the 3DS.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post

Oh God this is so forced

Gen 1: Charmander
    Gen 2: Totodile
    Gen 3: All three
    Gen 4: Turtwig
    Gen 5: Tepig
    Gen 6: Froakie
    Gen 7: Rowlet

No regrets.

I seem to always go with grass and water types

Gen 1: Bulbasaur
    Gen 2: I don't even remember
    Gen 3: Treecko
    Gen 4: Turtwig
    Gen 5: Oshawott
    Gen 6: Froakie

Feraligatr and Serperior were definitely the hardest starters to handle from those I picked. Serperior is just no good as a starter (non-offensive pokémon are generally bad outside of pvp and Serperior without its HA has almost no offensive presence) and Feraligatr back in GS would only learn two water moves: Water Gun back in its Totodile days and then Hydro Pump at level 58. And it was not like the rest of its move set was any better, I remember how frustrated I was waiting for it to finally learn a useful move and it never happening (remember back then TM were one-time only, which in my case meant "never use those. Except to give Psychic to Butterfree").
    Hopefully I liked both enough to struggle through, but the memories are still here.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Feraligatr and Serperior were definitely the hardest starters to handle from those I picked. Serperior is just no good as a starter (non-offensive pokémon are generally bad outside of pvp and Serperior without its HA has almost no offensive presence) and Feraligatr back in GS would only learn two water moves: Water Gun back in its Totodile days and then Hydro Pump at level 58. And it was not like the rest of its move set was any better, I remember how frustrated I was waiting for it to finally learn a useful move and it never happening (remember back then TM were one-time only, which in my case meant "never use those. Except to give Psychic to Butterfree").
    Hopefully I liked both enough to struggle through, but the memories are still here.
    I remember playing Silver and just wrecking everything with my feraligatr. It knew Bite, Surf, Slash, and probably strength, though I'm not sure on that one. It was 30-40 levels higher than everything else and I ended up fighting high level tentacruels that I caught with a super rod outside of Vermillion city to get it to 100. Good times.
    Last edited by andre; October 11th, 2019 at 08:36 AM.

Oh, memories. Hmm, lessee . . .

Gen 1: Didn't play 1 when it first came out
    Gen 2: Cyndaquil
    Gen 3: Mudkip
    Gen 4: Piplup
    Gen 5: Snivy
    Gen 6: Fennekin

I am surprisingly balanced. I think it all just went: "Which is cutest?"

Charmander
    Chikarita
    Treeko
    Turtwig
    Snivy
    Chespin
    Litten
    Typing it all out like that it would seem I'm a grass man, lol.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I remember playing Silver and just wrecking everything with my feraligatr. It knew Bite, Surf, Slash, and probably strength, though I'm not sure on that one. It was 30-40 levels higher than everything else and I ended up fighting high level tentacruels that I caught with a super rod outside of Vermillion city to get it to 100. Good times.
    Bite became really useful in the second generation when it became Dark type. Plus, yeah, maybe Feraligatr didn't have too many useful Water moves by itself, but with Surf being the natural HM to give it, it didn't really matter to me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information