+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 90 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 72 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1800

Thread: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

Default Re: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    The complaint wasn't "too much water", but "too many water types" and "too much reliance on HMs" Which are both super legit, given that 47 of 211 main game mons were water type, and the game required 7 HMs, including waterfall, surf, AND dive.

It also pointed out rightly that the game was 12 years old and they hadn't really done much to update it with the progress the series had made since it originally came out.

But people boiled it down to "too much water" to dismiss the score.
    People definitely focused on that disproportionately, but IIRC "too much water" was an actual point against it in the (since removed) summary of pros and cons at the very end of the review.

A better phrasing of the issue would be to say that ORAS didn't do a very good job of expressing the land and water yin yang relationship that's supposed to define the game in a way that's balanced for gameplay.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    but IIRC "too much water" was an actual point against it in the (since removed) summary of pros and cons
    Yes, as shorthand in the final summary wrap up. That was fully and properly explained in the actual review.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Struggling between "knowing I probably wouldn't like to play this game and in every aspect would do much better waiting for a third version" and "but I want to!"

To make matters worse, tomorrow is a holyday here so I will have a three-day weekend I could invest in the game. The struggle, so real... my will... so weak! I can tell I will cave in at some point. Why is my Switch on anyways? And the game is out on my e-shop already...

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Struggling between "knowing I probably wouldn't like to play this game and in every aspect would do much better waiting for a third version" and "but I want to!"

To make matters worse, tomorrow is a holyday here so I will have a three-day weekend I could invest in the game. The struggle, so real... my will... so weak! I can tell I will cave in at some point. Why is my Switch on anyways? And the game is out on my e-shop already...
    Pick up Dragon Quest 11S or Dragon Quest Builders 2 instead.

It's not by lack of what to do. I just started reading The Three Musketeers and I have three books in line, so I definitely have a lot to invest my free time on. My problem is if I am going to have fun with this game or not.
    Like I said before, the thing I spend most of my time on playing Pokémon is training and this game ruined that for me. IGN review (an overly positive one) made very clear the EXP.Share is so useful (or terrible if you are of my opinion) you don't even need to train anymore, you can just do your stuff and your whole team will level up accordingly as a consequence. On their side article, the reviewer goes on to say she never grinded during the entire game and the other commenter said she only grinded before the final battles (but add it was probably unnecessary to do so)... they say all of that as if it was a positive thing, but to me is dreadful.
    That's what is pretty much holding me back despite my urges to just say "fuck it" and buy the game because I know this totally ruins the fun for me and rob me of many hours (that other people would say are hours of monotonous chore, but fuck me, I like training pokémon). On the other hand, we now can access the boxes from anywhere, so I am considering if it is viable to just keep the pokémon I am training with me and the others on the box (except for Gym fights) and keep rotating it like that. An inconvenience, sure, but it could work around the problem... or not.

Just give yourself some goals like maybe train all the galar Pokemon and you'll find fun.
    Honestly just get the game if you want to.
    Life's too short to be bothered by whatever. It's also too long for this purchase to make a significant difference.
    Join the hype of the early players, have fun with what's genuinely fun about the game.
    You shouldn't let all the negativity affect you because what you desire from the game differs from each individual.
    Personally I'm going to get it to play with my friends and because despite all the shortcomings, there's still something I love.

I'm going to buy it tomorrow, play it with my friend, complain a lot, say how it could have been so much better but in the end i will probably still have fun just discovering all the new pokemon (only know a few that have leaked) and put together a team of Gen 8 mons.
    It's still Pokemon and i can't help but love it.

What i don't understand ... i played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 again today which was made by a smaller team and is a much smaller franchise than Pokemon. Why does it have such a great open world and look so good on the Switch compared to SwoShi? It's not only graphics, it's also detail, verticality, animations, models, design ... I would really like to know if it's just talent, budget, time, passion or all of these factors.
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

Quote Originally Posted by Neaeran View Post
    What i don't understand ... i played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 again today which was made by a smaller team and is a much smaller franchise than Pokemon. Why does it have such a great open world and look so good on the Switch compared to SwoShi? It's not only graphics, it's also detail, verticality, animations, models, design ... I would really like to know if it's just talent, budget, time, passion or all of these factors.
    Probably because Monolith Soft puts a lot more effort into their games and world-building which GameFreak doesn't need to do since it's Pokémon. It's gonna sell like hot cakes anyway so they can afford to be lazy

3DS Friendcode: 1547 - 5175 - 1342

I like what zeltrax said, "What you desire from the game differs for each individual".

I was looking through Bogleech's (creator of webcomic Awful Hospital and gave ratings to each Pokemon design from gens 1-7) stuff the other day and he didn't like the dex cuts and won't play the games because the main and pretty much only reason he plays Pokemon is to build a team made up of his top 6 favorites. He doesn't play for competitive or the world of Pokemon itself, just for creating his top 6 team of currently existing Pokemon, which he's adjusted with each gen.Two of the Pokemon he wanted for his team didn't get in the Galar dex, and that was enough for him to decide not to get the games. He said he would've rather they removed the storyline, battling, or anything else.

Whereas for me, I'm still looking forward to the games because most of the criticisms are about things that don't apply to what I'll use or do in my playthrough. So while I'm not like Bogleech there, since we care about different things, I thought it was neat how people can play for so many different reasons, and especially how he said he would've rather battling be removed than Pokemon obtainability stood out to me. Personally, battling and combat in games in general isn't high on the list of why I play. I love exploration. In every game I play, I talk to every NPC, I go to all the optional places, I examine all the bookcases and trash cans and so forth. One of the reasons Hoenn is one of my favorite regions is because it had so many side places like the Abandoned Ship/Sea Mauville that you could visit. I like getting a feel for each place's atmosphere and learning about its history. Abandoned places especially are exciting because of all the possibilities for reasons why the place was abandoned and the air of mystery around them.

Challenging fights is something I've never really looked forward to in games, because unless it's something like an open-world game where you can come back to a hard battle once you're more prepared, you're almost always locked out of further exploration and story until you get past the fight. So difficult fights and puzzles are like being stuck on a homework problem to me: I just want to finish it so I can move on and do things I actually enjoy, but I'm stumped and feel like I've hit a wall. While I've seen people who don't care for the competitive scenes of games and prefer to just play the single-player experience, I've rarely seen people who aren't enthusiastic about challenge or difficulty at all like I am, so I felt something at "would've rather they removed battling" part, even though I don't know whether Bogleech likes challenging battles and just prioritizes teambuilding or doesn't care for them at all.

I also like some of the side features: Amie/Refresh, Mantine Surfing, contests, and tend to spend a lot of time on those too.

While I think there were some bad decisions made, I agree with that on a logical level, but I don't feel most of them on an emotional level, and that second part is why I'm still looking forward to Sword and Shield. The dex cuts are going to hit people who have Pokemon they've been transferring from game to game to stick with them for over a decade or whose favorites didn't make it in, but I've never been able to transfer Pokemon after Gen 4's Pal Park. Not being able to turn off the EXP Share I don't understand why they'd go from optional to mandatory, that seems backwards especially since plenty of people don't want to use it, but I play with it on. Locking the sound control item behind an optional NPC is ??? but I don't think I'd use it anyway. The Charizard fanservice annoys me, but if it was enough to make me not have fun or look forward to playing, I would've been like that for XY too.

From reading the reviews and seeing screenshots, the critique that's going to affect my playstyle the most is
    Spoiler:
    Most areas being short and linear, identical houses in cities, etc. since as I mentioned exploration is a big reason why I play. From the trailers, I was really looking forward to exploring that cave with the Christmas lights, and hopefully I'll still enjoy it.

There are some other changes and features I'm looking forward to, like wild Pokemon in the overworld with the option of engaging them or not, more trainer customization options, and I think a few other things that aren't coming to mind at the moment.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Quote Originally Posted by Neaeran View Post
    I'm going to buy it tomorrow, play it with my friend, complain a lot, say how it could have been so much better but in the end i will probably still have fun just discovering all the new pokemon (only know a few that have leaked) and put together a team of Gen 8 mons.
    It's still Pokemon and i can't help but love it.

Different studios have focus on different facets of game development, and as a result you wind up with developers that have different experience and are capable of different things.

That said, it's probably a much more nuance answer than that since we don't really know the extent of what the culture is like in each of these teams and how much they're impacted by mobility of resources from project to project. Or the degree to how much work was done internal or through vendors.

Also, it's not a question of Gamefreak "can afford to be lazy." No successful company can afford to be lazy, that'd be stupid. Why would anyone work in an industry that pays less and requires more work than other similar career paths? If you're not in it for the passion there's no real reason to work in games. Lazy dev is a myth that makes no sense. Game teams just have limited resources and have to prioritize different things.

WARNING: IF YOU GET THE GAME, DISABLE AUTOSAVE IMMEDIATELY!

There's a bug that can wipe all save data from every game on your Switch.

Now there are people saying that it has nothing to do with the autosave, but it can happen to everyone who downloaded the game from the eshop.
    Currently playing Pokémon Shield&Sword, Switch Friend Code: SW-6524-3266-0517

Default Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Also, it's not a question of Gamefreak "can afford to be lazy." No successful company can afford to be lazy, that'd be stupid. Why would anyone work in an industry that pays less and requires more work than other similar career paths? If you're not in it for the passion there's no real reason to work in games. Lazy dev is a myth that makes no sense. Game teams just have limited resources and have to prioritize different things.
    Assassin's Creed Unity. Batman: Arkham Knight. Games that were nowhere near finished and bugged to the point of unplayibility because someone higher up the chain of commands, way beyond the oh so passionate programmers, be it the producer, director or the publisher, decided that throwing their hot piece of gargabe code onto the market is more important than delivering a product that actually works.
    Nintendo most certainly did not pressure GameFreak to release the games if they're not finished.

If there is one game developer that should have no or almost no limited resources then I'd say it's the one who has been responsible for over 20 years for creating games that have helped their franchise become the highest grossing media franchise of all time. They prioritzed something different, yes. It's called the holiday shopping season.

And now we have a Pokémon game that wipes out your entire microSD card and corrupts it which is an absolute no-go. Apparently, something doesn't like exFAT format so use FAT32, or even better, wait for GameFreak to fix it.
    Last edited by Coookie; November 15th, 2019 at 01:29 AM.

3DS Friendcode: 1547 - 5175 - 1342

My copy arrived yesterday. Had about an hour to play it...

It's Pokemon. Honestly I'm not seeing anything better or worse than what we've seen in pretty much every other Main line Pokemon game. I've not really went in on the pre-release stuff so most things I'm encountering is new.

Don't like the Champion. He's annoying. Game doesn't feel like an advancement from Sun/Moon which is the biggest issue thus far.
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Robin View Post
    My copy arrived yesterday. Had about an hour to play it...

It's Pokemon. Honestly I'm not seeing anything better or worse than what we've seen in pretty much every other Main line Pokemon game. I've not really went in on the pre-release stuff so most things I'm encountering is new.

Don't like the Champion. He's annoying. Game doesn't feel like an advancement from Sun/Moon which is the biggest issue thus far.
    One advancement for me is in the Pokemon designs. Some of the strongest in a long time.

Just started playing Shield. Hop and Leon need to shut up and let me play.

Team: Funky (Grookey), Clockimedes (Hoothoot)
    Last edited by Early; November 15th, 2019 at 02:47 AM.

There are now reports that even with autosave off the game can corrupt your SD card, which appears to be a separate issue.

Gotta say, the customization options are far better than in the previous games. (The golden bag you get for preordering is kinda ugly though.)

I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Roughly 2:30 hours in and I am finding the game lacking compared to other ones. So far two things already bothered me:

- your character seem to have zero say in this pokémon trainer stuff. I might be completely off in this because my memory for pokémon games plot stuff is pretty much zero, but as far as I remember in every game there was something going on about your character becoming a trainer: either it was something they were looking forward, a tradition in the region for every kid to undergo such journey or just there seemed to already be a pre-arrangement between the character and the local professor regarding the subject.
    This time, nothing. Hop is the one who dreamed of becoming a trainer and your character is just hooked in his dreams because his family wanted you to be his rival. There wasn't any sign that your character wanted to become a trainer or was expected to become a trainer or anything like that. It's just "bring your bag, my brother will bring gifts for us. Surprise, it's a pokémon, I'll be a trainer and I want you to be my rival because I need someone to keep pushing me on, so just hurry and tell your mother you are leaving town or she'll be mad". This could have been very easily solved by Hop just saying both of you have been anxious waiting for it in hopes Leon would bring pokémon so both of you could become trainers.

- this second one admittedly is something that is only bothering me this early because I had already noticed it seeing tidbits of gameplay before, but I can't stop notice they seem to cut any possible detail they deemed unnecessary to save coding time. Those are all very small things that by themselves mean nothing, but when added together give this feeling of cutting corners. Things like replacing the swiming unique model for the same cycling model, replacing the Fly unique sequence by just a loading screen, but most of all: transitions. To cite one case that already happened this early: Leon decides to teach you how to catch a pokémon and then immediately a sequence of it happening takes place. Right there, where he was standing. We don't see a pokémon approaching him, we don't see him entering the tall grass, the battle sequence with the wild pokémon is just inserted there. Another was that annoyed me was "Next day" and you are already at Hop's place on the exact same tile you were all standing before the "Next day" message appeared, instead of just sending you home and having you make your way there to meet Leon and Hop.

Technical issues aside, I am still planning on doing the box thing to circumvent the Exp.Share once I get access to it, but then I realized the game might not be as easy as I expected when it turned out half my planned team was composed of Round 1 pokémon, so I am probably sticking with the weakest guys in the game (and obviously that doesn't include Corviknight).
    Last edited by .access timeco.; November 15th, 2019 at 06:51 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information