+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 935: Queen

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Default Re: Chapter 935: Queen

Thinking about the designs and uses of SMILEs has got me thinking about how much of an abject failure Caesar has been. He made a deadly gas that didn't kill people, he couldn't make people giants without side effects, his KX Launchers failed, and now these SMILEs, while they have their benefits, still make Vegapunk's "failed" artificial fruit look like a bonafide success. I would feel sorry for the guy but he deserves it.

Spoiler:

The crab smile user makes you wonder why Kaido was so worried for not having more smilies. Maybe the fact that he's drunk all the time can explain it.

It's all about image, that all animal pirate thing is probably something he's dreamed about for years. Still they are all just like any other random goons, at the moment it really doesn't seem like destroying the Smile production really did much of anything.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

As long as he throws good punches everything is ok.

Imagining the "Beast Pirates sign-up application" process:

Recruiter - Do you have an animal fruit? If yes, it's an instant pass but, if not, do not worry: there's this nice alternative called SMILE that gives you sort-of-animal fruit:

Then proceeds to showcase some "successful" examples such as Crab SMILE user, Lion head-in-stomach SMILE user, Hippo SMILE user ...

Applicant - That's ... great ...
    HTC - Hoje Tive C

Quote Originally Posted by Ukimix View Post
    I like OP physics: the suppression of the powers of a DF user depends on the amount of sea-stone, but also it depends on the amount of the user's will power. So will power can change material facts. Cool. It wouldn't be weird if in the future we see a warrior with great will power who is inmune to sea-stone.

Isn't the three penalties pointing to a maimed prisoner? Because the story of a maimed brave samurai (Kawamatsu) can be great; it reminds me of Living with one leg.

Also what's the utility of the invisible outfit in a unisex bathhouse? Much more if he's the only one with the nosebleeding power.
    Do you mean like how rayleigh removed seastone handcuffs or?

I wonder why beast pirates stopped searching for momonosuek and raizou. And have harder time finding them when they next to them isntead of searching otherr islands.

Quote Originally Posted by cchevaughn2 View Post
    Do you mean like how rayleigh removed seastone handcuffs or?
    My best guess is, that Camie didn't have any seastone handcuffs. Why would you use expensive seastone handcuffs on a being which is submerged completely underwater anyway? I guess those slavers just used seastone handcuffs on DF-user-slaves.
    You also can't blow up seastone handcuffs. And the cuffs on EL looked different than the cuffs on SA (the latter had explosives, so...).
    My imagination of Moria's ol' crew: https://ibb.co/hEDSv8

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    I think the outrage over Sanji's perverted nature has gotten a little stale and forced, honestly.
    Just like the gag itself.

At this point the character is just a weak, obnoxiously sleazy shadow of his former self. Toning it down while cranking the volume on some of more serious aspects of his personality would go a LONG way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

The "Sanji-the-perv"-joke really gets old, I know. But Oda kept piling up this gag further and further. And those 2 yrs in the Kamabaka KD haven't made it any better.
    On the other Hand Oda does the same with Zoro's sense of direction. He just makes those jokes more and more ridiculous.

In the thread Prior to this one
    Hidden:
    the Spoiler thread
    People discussed how weak some headliners are.
    The intro-Panel for the scorpion-smile-user is a Symbol for that IMO.

Queen's theme has to be "we got the funk" by George Clinton. Especially the Chorus. Just Change it to "Queeeen's got the funk! He's got the funk!"

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
    For the uninformed: https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-seri...chapter-183930 page 21
    I agree with you btw, the gag of Sanji being a pervert is funny especially because it's so absurd. Sometimes I think people just say they hate his perverted actions because they think they are supposed to say that?
    That sounds a whole lot like the concept of "virtue signaling", which is commonly used to dismiss the opinions of progressive people - according to virtue signaling people calling foul on stuff like Sanjis pervyness don't really mean what they say, but are just saying it in order to uh, get internet points, which I guess can be exchanged for something or other. Anyway, If one calls out "Virtue Signaling!" in order to skip over the substance of others criticism entirely in order to defend something because it must be defended by default, one is just providing a shallow knee-jerk "virtue signal" of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccardo View Post
    The fact that he does something that is obviously not ok makes the joke funny. But hey, if people wanna make a fuss about an obvious joke, I won't stand in their way.
    "Its a joke" can never absolve something of criticism. How the joke is told, in what context and what it implies also matters.

For instance, even if Sanjis perviness is presented as exaggeratedly goofy, it takes place within a series that has near-universally agreed upon issues with its portrayal of women, and where said women are almost always drawn with the male gaze in mind and used for fanservice. Sometimes Sanjis pervyness can even set up fanservice, such as when it allows Nami to grope her boobs in the freezing Punk Hazard wasteland, and with chapters like this Oda is inviting us to gawk at the subject of Sanjis desire, essentially assuming we're just as pervy as him. Its hard to write him off as "he's supposed to be a comedecially huge creep in the readers eyes!" when that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    I think I've seen this defense almost word for word before, but for Mineta from MHA lol
    Lol, everyone I've talked to hates Mineta with a passion. From what I've seen (not much), he's just an annoying grapehead kid.

The difference is that Mineta is a pervert almost 100% of the time while Sanji can be used to do other things.

Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    I find it a wee bit weird that Luffy has had no problem using haki before while at deaths door - like, that other time he was in prison and were poisoned and freezing AF - but here he apparantly cannot, while simultaneously dropkicking a Yonkou officer to the face.

But then again, haki is not exactly known for its consistency as a concept.

Apart from that the chapter provides some wonky pacing once again, but also some fun times at the prison with Queen, easily the best Beast pirate so far.
    Didn't Luffy use haki (an elephant gun iirc) while being completely underwater against Surume or Hody? If that's the case, then seastone >>>>>>>>> sea water.

And I agree about Queen: best (or most oda-ish) Beast pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukimix View Post
    I like OP physics: the suppression of the powers of a DF user depends on the amount of sea-stone, but also it depends on the amount of the user's will power. So will power can change material facts. Cool. It wouldn't be weird if in the future we see a warrior with great will power who is inmune to sea-stone.
    Will power can solve everything ! That is one of shonen absolute truth :-)

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    The difference is that Mineta is a pervert almost 100% of the time while Sanji can be used to do other things.
    There's also a slight difference in appearance. Sanji is tall and handsome. Mineta is an ugly midget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    That sounds a whole lot like the concept of "virtue signaling", which is commonly used to dismiss the opinions of progressive people
    I don't think you really understand the concept of virtue signaling, at least how lots of people use it online, if you think it's just there to dismiss opinions of progressive people.

I'm not offended by Sanji being a pervert.
    I simply find his gags to have become stale and forced to the point where I see him as gag character with serious moments instead of the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Will power can solve everything ! That is one of shonen absolute truth :-)
    Shounen guys get it right. Will power is the key to the universe... But jokes are needed. Thats why we read comics ;p
    Last edited by Ukimix; March 12th, 2019 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    I don't think you really understand the concept of virtue signaling, at least how lots of people use it online, if you think it's just there to dismiss opinions of progressive people.
    That may be, but how would you define it then? I have never seen any context where the term didn't have an explicitly negative connotation, or call-out function. To me it always seems to be

Person A: "I think X issue is problematic"
    Person B: "X is fine! You're just virtue signaling!"

Like, I heard this exact exchange in a danish podcast just earlier today. But do people go "If I may signal my virtues for a moment..." now, or what?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information