+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Magic the Gathering: Arena (or general MTG thread)

Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Arena (or general MTG thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Kay_B View Post
    I tried to play MTG, but somehow Hearthstone is more familiar and understandable. Blizzard, of course, have gone ahead well in the development of their game. Other games that come out as analogs of HS, it is somehow perceived differently.
    That's a rather odd take considering MtG is 27 yo game and Magic online is 18 yo, but that's your opinion so fair.

Well, it's not about who is how old. There are also younger games that are replacing older ones. The issue is advertising, popularization of the product, as well as the quality of its implementation.

Omnath, Lucky Clover and Escape to the Wilds banned from Standard. Ten cards banned this year. F.I.R.E. design was an absolute joke.
    24 cards banned in standard since 2017.

Clover was around like way before I started playing MTG, ok. Artisan just ended and my obsolete Elemental Rush Deck proofed useful after I made it Historic. Sweet fast daily wins. Now I need to craft something new to climb in Standard again. Meta says mill, I say escape.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Always bet in the ol' reliable, red deck wins.

Honestly, I don't have a preference for a color. I usually though like using decks with two different colours, but it be nice to use one with all of them; though I heard it's very hard to make a really successful deck in that way. I really need to start playing again, wish I had more friends to play with instead of the one friend.

Edit: I try to take some pics of some cards I think are good that I own later, and see what y'all think of them o:

My AniList: https://anilist.co/user/starlalilymoon/
    Discord: starlalilymoon#3489 | Steam: starlalilymoon
    Avatar Information: Artist - カグレ; Character - Gardevoir; Series - Pokémon

I really had fun with Mastermind. Sad it ended so soon. You were able to try some "new" cards and playstyles as much as you like, without drafting or crafting. Hope there would be always some similar event in the near future.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

That moment when you just want to have fun with your jank-red-black-menace deck and accidentally win in standard ranked, where your regular standard ranked deck just got pummeled

Ranked is weird, they don't give us the metric used for the match up determination. You either get pummeled or stroll through it.

I don't know how strong this is for Standard, but eternal formats are gonna have a field day.

Let me parse that:
    Counter a spell (it doesn’t trigger after paying its cost, as magic every card is a spell, this include everything but lands?)
    Chose 1,2 or 3 at random (what? Roll a die 1/2, 3/4, 5/6?, a 3 card deck? How do you randomly choose?)
    It’s controller (so the countered spell player)
    Mills that many cards (mill being “discard to graveyard”? And that many the “chosen random number”)
    From the top of their library (ok, library is deck)
    Until they exile a non land card with a different name than that spell (for sure lands aren’t spells? So if you hit the same spell that you countered, draw and exile another)
    They may cast that card without paying its mana cost (may so not forcing the play of a combo piece at the wrong time, it’s mana cost is the cards face value, does extra costs like “sacrifice x creatures to summon” or optional triggers like “pay x mana to do this extra effect” are compatible with this way of casting?)
    I was going to ask if they don’t play the free spell, is it discarded or kept with the exiled pile, but is kept, my question goes to what happens when is played then? If you play an exiled card, It goes to the play zone and from it is no longer exiled, correct?
    They put the exiled cards on the bottom of the deck, in random order (no misterios here)

So, is a cheap counter spell for red, but with a scary side effect possible

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Oh, I have the dark power to close this thread. Neat.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Let me parse that:
    Counter a spell (it doesn’t trigger after paying its cost, as magic every card is a spell, this include everything but lands?)
    Yes, counter creatures, artifacts, enchantments, instants, sorcery, enchantments and planeswalkers.

Chose 1,2 or 3 at random (what? Roll a die 1/2, 3/4, 5/6?, a 3 card deck? How do you randomly choose?)
    In tabletop usually a die, in arena I don't know how they implemented the Mirror March of they Rakdos on Arena.

It’s controller (so the countered spell player)
    Yep.

Mills that many cards (mill being “discard to graveyard”? And that many the “chosen random number”)
    From the top of their library (ok, library is deck)
    This is to stop another Underworld breach in eternal formats (mainly Legacy) where Delver and other decks can manipulate the top cards rather easily.

Until they exile a non land card with a different name than that spell (for sure lands aren’t spells? So if you hit the same spell that you countered, draw and exile another)
    Yes, lands ain't spells.

They may cast that card without paying its mana cost (may so not forcing the play of a combo piece at the wrong time, it’s mana cost is the cards face value, does extra costs like “sacrifice x creatures to summon” or optional triggers like “pay x mana to do this extra effect” are compatible with this way of casting?)
    They are not compatible, as far as I understand - a judge may explain better - but it would happen the same thing as a Lotus field on T1.

I was going to ask if they don’t play the free spell, is it discarded or kept with the exiled pile, but is kept, my question goes to what happens when is played then? If you play an exiled card, It goes to the play zone and from it is no longer exiled, correct?
    They put the exiled cards on the bottom of the deck, in random order (no misterios here)
    It's conditional so you may not play but if choose so, the spell will be put on the exile pile and put a the bottom of the library.

Is basically Emrkaul on T3:
    there's already a decklist: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3683398#paper

About the free cast, the free part is the card being played for free, and I guess any adicional costs aren’t covered by that free, my question was that with the play of that card, you can cover the rest of the other costs?

Lotus field (being a land) it says that it consumes as much as possible, including itself https://scryfall.com/card/m20/249/lotus-field

Like this one, the effect would trigger and need to kill something or itself: https://scryfall.com/card/ons/123/accursed-centaur
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Yes, I think it would trigger any ETB effects the free spell cast have.

Like if you cast a spell with X on it’s cost for free X will always be 0.

Another reason not going into historic yet I guess.

Can't wait for Kaldheim to drop. Especially as a metal and viking fan.

I don't even know what's playable in Historic beside Uro piles, Goblins and WU Control.

And some more busted cards? I'm still new to Magic, but Dream Devourer and Quakebringer really feel like the centerpieces of strong new meta decks.

I'm all in for the giant jank tho

Dream Devourer ha some potential in some fringe build. Quackerbringer is to specific and has a high CMC to be that effective.

Full set:
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...llery/kaldheim

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information