+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magic the Gathering: Arena (or general MTG thread)

Default Magic the Gathering: Arena (or general MTG thread)

After playing over 8000 games of Hearthstone, finding Gwent particulary boring, going 100+ hours with slay the spire, and playing an unhealthy ammount of the gba versions of yu gi oh, pokemon tcg and duel masters, last month I decided, it was time.

I've flirted with the idea since summer when I asked to be in the beta, but job interviews and movings keept me from playing. A nearby game store also has picked my interest. And finally, the fact that they are doing this expansion being their infinity war, even if I knew nothing of these characters, the fact that this dragon dude called balls has been making life worse for a ton of people in multiple universes, by releasing cosmic horrors, comiting deicide, making zombies, stealing stuff, launching coups, or using legalesse to obtain slaves.

The game tho, I need to learn to make decks. Well, not that much make them but know how to tune them up rather than get bored and change to the cheap red deck that I already have. Netdecked a tempo blue one that is more fun, but won less.

Currently saving gold, as there is a draft mode that let me turn gold (f2p currency) into gems (p2w currency), and get into the big bets. Also, in the draft modes not only you keep the reward but every card that you draft, letting you kinda target what you are looking for, like I kinda want the red-blue cards, as I already have some core cards, but things like the dual shock lands would be awesome.

I chronicled my "new player experience" in the videogames thread, but tldr; got lucky with a reset, and could double up on 3 of the 10 player decks, geting some extra rares and mythic cards.

So, if you want to play, the first thing to know is to save your resources until you decide on a goal, I wasted the gems of the welcome 5$ bundle in packs of an expansion that will rotate this fall, instead of the drafting event of more recent sets.

Idunno, it's an interesting world and a vast game, while not ideal for me, I enjoy these (non mill) matches.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Default Re: Magic the Gathering: Arena (or general MTG thread)

Frankly the lack of other mtg fans here is a little weird, alas I been playing and grinding on Arena since the closed beta, the economy in Arena sucks and since I spent a little too much on paper MtG I decided not to spend money on Arena, even sold my collection on MTGO since I haven't played it since arena. If you're still playing check https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper for deck building. Deck building is tricky for beginners before they learn about all the archetypes and strategies.
    Currently, Cat Oven, Tour the Force and Red Deck Wins are probably the easiest for beginners to play and build.

Started playing Arena a few month ago when I got on Epic. Coming from YuGiOh, Pokemon cards irl and Shadowverse I wanted to try out the real deal.

I won't spend real money so I have to grind for gems, but I don't quite know for what?

For now I have the most fun with self crafted decks with a simple synergy mechanic, like Elementals, Knights only or just flyers. Lower gold rank in Standard is the most far I come with these but idc atm.

Most confusing thing for me are those play modes though. I don't know what happens when old sets are rotated out soon too. Can I still play my decks when I hit "Play"?
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Started playing Arena a few month ago when I got on Epic. Coming from YuGiOh, Pokemon cards irl and Shadowverse I wanted to try out the real deal.

I won't spend real money so I have to grind for gems, but I don't quite know for what?

For now I have the most fun with self crafted decks with a simple synergy mechanic, like Elementals, Knights only or just flyers. Lower gold rank in Standard is the most far I come with these but idc atm.

Most confusing thing for me are those play modes though. I don't know what happens when old sets are rotated out soon too. Can I still play my decks when I hit "Play"?
    Arena is supposed to be a Standard only, that’s why they created Historic, a format that allows you to use cards from every set that has been trough arena and some selected from older sets. How are they gonna implement things in this rotation I don’t know, the first rotation that I experienced cleaned my collection of cards not allowed anymore, but by that time they hadn’t implemented Historic yet.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

To be clear

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Standard

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Historic_(format)

Brawl is a 60 cards singleton were you can only play cards from the color of your chosen legendary creature, the “commander” of your deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun fact: Wizards is removing several cards from the game/database for being, well, rather racist.
    https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/10/21...izards-apology

My jaw dropped at a couple of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Fun fact: Wizards is removing several cards from the game/database for being, well, rather racist.
    https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/10/21...izards-apology

My jaw dropped at a couple of them.
    The whole mess started with this publication:
    https://twitter.com/zbeg/status/1269...925708801?s=21

And some have a proper justifications
    https://twitter.com/merfolkmagic/sta...836998146?s=21

The artist of Invoke Prejudice, Harold McNeil hasn’t done a commission for WoTC sine Tempest Block (1997), and going by his personal site he is clearly a neo-nazi, he has a few good Cthulhu drawings an a galore of nazi imagery. Yikes.

And another artist, a favorite of mine Teresa Nielsen will not have her arts used anymore after next set, due to her problematics actions on twitter ( TERF content, conservative conspiracy theories,etc). I kind understand both sides, Terese is not the most solid of mind person, but sounds hollow and hypocrite of WoTC to ban a artist on a bigot gender issue when Greg Weissman in his two books destroyed the sapphic relationship between Nissa and Chandra in a totally callously without due regard for a thing that has been built up for the last 5 years.

Invoke Prejudice is even worse because the id number on the site database (gather) was 1488 for years, and wasn't changed because people really didn't know how to change the id without causing even more bugs on the gather.

Core 2021 is on in Arena, I started the day going well, but know the people with good decks started showing up and beating me with gross ramp combos, not like I ain't playing Ugin .

Thanks for the explanation of the modes pariston. As a beginner, that helped alot. I also thought that the old sets would rotate out when Core21 hits. But that doesn't makes any sense of course. Rotation is in September.

I started remodeling my decks with what I got from Core21 so far, though. Had to craft Lorescale Coatl because it's just the right card for my Ozolith/Crystal Giant deck. (Crystal Giant is one of the most fun to play cards from Ikoria)
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

So, I crafted a deck around Gadrak, the big turn three blocker who can only attack when four artifacts are on board. It's a lot of fun so far and I'm quite proud of it. Mostly wins in unranked.

The last one was especially whack. Had a perfect starting hand. Three lands and a drop for every turn. Manyfold key, Prismite and Gadrak.

My opponent was green-red and quite slow though. After playing Clamor Shaman there were only enchantments and ramping lands. I was slow too because I needed a fourth artifact.

I only got lands and a planeswalker. Then my opponent struck hard. Gemrazer mutate, destroying my third artifact. On top of that he buffed it to a 7/6 and rapid killed my poor Gadrak only to kill my 6 devotion planeswalker right after that.

Wow ok. Next I drew some land. Now I had six. Desperate cycled a land for three and drew a Soul Sear. Destroyed the Gemrazer immediately with it.

Next turn opponent: He created a 7/7 Stone Coil Serpent (lucky me I have a one color deck so it was not immune to any of my stuff)

Enemy Gemrazers and Serpents were so often part of my demise but this time I just caste an Akroan War, bringing that 7/7 artifact snake on my side, USED THE MANYFOLD KEY TO UNTAP IT, attacking right away!

Opponent is down to 7 now. His snake is on my side, an Ozolith as well, so killing his own monster wouldn't help him. He resigns. Stuff like that is the reason I play this game every day now.
    Last edited by Wintermute; July 21st, 2020 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    So, I crafted a deck around Gadrak, the big turn three blocker who can only attack when four artifacts are on board. It's a lot of fun so far and I'm quite proud of it. Mostly wins in unranked.

The last one was especially whack. Had a perfect starting hand. Three lands and a drop for every turn. Manyfold key, Prismite and Gadrak.

My opponent was green-red and quite slow though. After playing Clamor Shaman there were only enchantments and ramping lands. I was slow too because I needed a fourth artifact.

I only got lands and a planeswalker. Then my opponent struck hard. Gemrazer mutate, destroying my third artifact. On top of that he buffed it to a 7/6 and rapid killed my poor Gadrak only to kill my 6 devotion planeswalker right after that.

Wow ok. Next I drew some land. Now I had six. Desperate cycled a land for three and drew a Soul Sear. Destroyed the Gemrazer immediately with it.

Next turn opponent: He created a 7/7 Stone Coil Serpent (lucky me I have a one color deck so it was not immune to any of my stuff)

Enemy Gemrazers and Serpents were so often part of my demise but this time I just caste an Akroan War, bringing that 7/7 artifact snake on my side, USED THE MANYFOLD KEY TO UNTAP IT, attacking right away!

Opponent is down to 7 now. His snake is on my side, an Ozolith as well, so killing his own monster wouldn't help him. He resigns. Stuff like that is the reason I play this game every day now.
    Glad you're enjoying so much. MtG is a fucking great game, this kind of moments are delicious. If you have some gold to spare, since you ain't playing ranked, give a try to the Jumpstart event. Has some sweet new cards, and reprints, and you gotta keep the cards that you win as prize for being used in Historic.
    As I'm playing ranked, the rotation can't come sooner. Even netdecking the GOAT Bant deck (featured here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...at-modern-jund) I still went 1-2 today.

I was sceptical of Jumpstart at first but, for me as a new player, it fills my ranks faster than anything else. For the current standard at least. Can't wait for the new rotation as well. Turn 5 Ugin in unranked is here to stay though :/

How's the arena simulator (talking about expansions, bugs, meta variety, player base)? Obviously it can't be as good as the real thing, but I hear it's not too shabby.

Is it a lot of grinding or can you get decent cards while playing "normal" amounts of time per day (and maybe invest a bit to get a decent collection)?

I'm currently playing Gwent myself but it's getting to the point where the meta is getting stale and predictable so I'm throwing a few glances in MtG's direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    How's the arena simulator (talking about expansions, bugs, meta variety, player base)? Obviously it can't be as good as the real thing, but I hear it's not too shabby.

Is it a lot of grinding or can you get decent cards while playing "normal" amounts of time per day (and maybe invest a bit to get a decent collection)?

I'm currently playing Gwent myself but it's getting to the point where the meta is getting stale and predictable so I'm throwing a few glances in MtG's direction.
    Arena currently supports Standard, Brawl ( a standard format singleton version of commander but only on Wednesdays I think), a Historic (that's standard with around 30~40cards form older sets and the past expansions that rotated out.)
    Visually is the best looking virtual server that WoTC has put, MTGO looks like a excel spreadsheet compared to it, there's a way to create a friends list, but there's not real chat between players in game, I don't think I've experience any serious bug within the game.
    I had a update bug but the support service solved it for me.
    Current Meta is horseshit if you intend to jump directly into ranked, casual and Jumpsart might be more fun. Like seriously, in the Pro Tour is happening? (happened? seriously WoTC promote the events even if they turned full online this year due to covid) more than 50% of the meta comes from a variation of one deck:
    Hidden:

Since I do have physical decks, I refuse to give them me money twice, I've been grinding since the closed beta in '18, it's not that easy but if you have the time do it just to send a message.
    If you can and want to spend cash wait for the rotation to do so, you will have more fun doing it.
    As an enthusiast of the game a say go forward with it, but for more info on the meta of the formats in Arena and of the game in general check here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper

Wow Reclamation, Growth and T3feri banned today just one month away from rotation.

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

Thank god. They were truly making ramp decks the most obnoxious thing ever.

To understand how bad the set testing has been, from 2018-2020, 10 cards have been banned from standard
    The las time 10 cards were banned from standard was the Combo Winter of '98, the game had them 5 years of existence, it has now 27.

It is the sheer number of games that are played and documented now thanks to arena. I doubt most of these would get banned just because tournament or store results.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I don't think so, T3feri, Oko, Veil and OUaT are completely busted. Oko is the strongest planeswalker ever printed being banned from everything minus Legacy and Vintage (were he can also be a problem), the static on T3feri is supper annoying because it makes the game super un-interactive. OUaT is free mana, free mana always end up being a bad idea. Same thing with Fires but to a lesser extent, since you can actually deal with enchantments by turn 4 and usually you can counter a OUaT on T1 or T2. Veil is a color pie break, is a counter spell disguise as a protection spell and a can trip in one.

Growth, Reclamation and Field, paid the price of WoTC answering the reclamation that green was an under powered draft choice, so they pushed green design along with Simic (UG), since they new they would ne returning to Ravnica. Agent suffered for that same reason, a 7 mana steal permanent is not busted, a 7 mana steal permanent when you have plenty of ramp, flicker effects and free mana is. Same if Field of the Dead, without hardcore ramp built around it's a normal card.
    Only the Cat really die due to Arena, since they don't programmed a way to ignore triggers on the stack and you have to do it manually.

And hell, WoTC created a Play Design team to play test the new set cards in the standard environment, a team that has out of it's 9 current members 5 former pro players, and they all missed somehow this kind of things.

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    It is the sheer number of games that are played and documented now thanks to arena. I doubt most of these would get banned just because tournament or store results.
    It's not like MTGO is dead, they do the same documentation of results they do with official tournaments and Arena, only WoTC that never really showed us the same data that they have access.
    And looking to the meta data of the latest Standard tournaments, both on Arena and o paper you could see the meta was not healthy, pre Oko banning there was a tournament were Breeding Pool was the third most played land (in number of copies in decks listed), and that's just absurd.

To drive my point further:

Can't wait to say goodbye do mana doubler Nissa and say hello to golgari landfall trigger Nissa. God,Sultai is gonna be unbearable.
    Lotus Cobra is back on the menu boys, as if green needed another source of mana fixing, but is good to drop the card price.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information