+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82

Thread: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

  1. #1
    Witch of Miracles otakufan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Ocean of Fragments

    Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

  2. #2
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The King Engine

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Damn. Look how they massacred my boy.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Those two guards talking shit about Oro-dude just crack me up.

    He really doesn't get any genuine respect from anyone

  4. #4
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Yes .

  5. #5
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    I like Yasu's shittalking skills. It does a good job of being noble and insulting at the same time.

    I'm not sure about the smile thing. I was happy with a village that to keep a smile even in most tragic time. And maybe you see Toko finally not be able to smile when it his her father dying or something.



  6. #6

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    -With my last breath i curse zoidberg!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Oda pulled no punches this chapter. Really shows how important beating Kaido is. From what Oden said about Tonoyasu taking over instead of him, I want to know if he's related to the Kozuki Clan. Either that or he was the most powerful noble after the Shogun.

    NNID: jervinnectar

  8. #8
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brazil

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Give me Ushimitsu Kozo already!

  9. #9
    element freak Logia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Sea of Washington -> Gray's Harbor

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Feels like Yasu wasn't introduced all that long ago, but still sad to see him go. Rest in peace.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Act 2 may be ending soon after this major development. If that means we're going to take a peak again to what's taking place outside Wano, I'll welcome it.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

  11. #11
    Witch of Miracles otakufan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Ocean of Fragments

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    I'd been dubious about Tonoyasu pretty much from the start, as his "normal person" act never quite held up for me (also, the name Yasu throws up all kinds of red flags in my mind...thanks, Umineko!). So, while I wasn't expecting him to be a former Daimyo, the reveal that he was someone of more importance than he let on didn't come as too much of a shock. His summary (and by all appearances, conclusive) execution, on the other hand, I was not expecting...but damn if he didn't make the most of it.

    There have been several people decrying the number of events occurring off-panel during this arc and, while there are quite a few things that seem to simply be cut for time/page-space, I don't think Yasu's capture is one of them. Looking back, it seems obvious to me that he acted with the intention of being caught, because by outing himself as a wanted criminal (a rogue, "disloyal" daimyo) and also pretending to be the Witching Hour Boy/Ushimitsu Kozo, he was able to co-opt the existing audience for Komurasaki's funeral and delivered not only an EPIC verbal takedown of the current Shogun to the entire nation at once, but also gloss over Kinemon's coded message as nothing more than a prank Orochi overreacted to while simultaneously ensure the Kozuki loyalists currently imprisoned will both go free (and/or Orochi will lose even MORE credibility for trying to keep them locked up) and have the knowledge that the cause they're supporting is very much real and ongoing. By sacrificing himself, Yasuie has done a massive service for the Kozuki Rebellion at a time when they desperately needed it, and I think that keeping us in the dark on his actions these past few chapters helped a lot to make those actions more impactful.

    I am curious what will ultimately become of Toko... As the daughter of a Daimyo, there's a part of me that wants her to step up and ultimately revive the Shimotsuki family/clan as powerful allies of the Kozuki Shogunate, but as a traumatized little girl who has obviously suffered immensely through no fault of her own, another part of me just wants her to be able to live a happy, peaceful life... While O-tama has also had a hard life, she has also explicitly chosen the path of a kunoichi, so a life of danger, challenges, and adventure are more or less inevitable for her...but we don't really know what O-toko wants yet... And of course, if the whole "can't express any emotions except smiling and laughter" thing is truly irreversible, the idea of an older O-toko as a samurai or ninja feels pretty damn creepy to me...

    Speaking of, I am definitely curious how the "SMILE" Devil Fruits tie into the condition of the people from Ebisu...
    Last edited by otakufan; May 12th, 2019 at 06:06 PM.

    Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    I think the Pleasures from Kaido's crew are also affected by the Ebisu Town smile syndrome. They're always smiling no matter what happens to them.

    Smile fruit chemical runoff? Maybe the Pleasures were the main victims of Smile's effects before Kaido dropped himself into Wano?
    FC(3DS) - 2724-4238-5489 (LZTan)
    FC(Switch) - SW-3434-4042-7728 (Jin)

    Bond en Avant practices drawing in SAI

  13. #13
    21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arizona

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    I noticed that one line of Yasuie saying that Orochi owes everything he had to Oden, which makes the possibility of Orochi being originally a peasant now very likely. My guess is that Orochi was like a fisherman or maritime merchant (Or maybe a really minor pirate?) who helped Oden with getting out into the sea or something along those lines.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    I noticed that one line of Yasuie saying that Orochi owes everything he had to Oden, which makes the possibility of Orochi being originally a peasant now very likely. My guess is that Orochi was like a fisherman or maritime merchant (Or maybe a really minor pirate?) who helped Oden with getting out into the sea or something along those lines.
    Yea, I noticed that Orochi wasn't one of the five daiymo, so he likely started as a nobody of sorts.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Is that thing behind Oden a tail? it could be part of his attire, but it looks more like a tail to me.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Wow, what a chapter this turned out to be. I think we can safely call this the finale of volume 93, then?

    It has to be acknowledged at this point that Oda's attitude towards death has shifted. I don't see any satisfying way for Yasu to still be alive, and while he is a meaningful figure dying a meaningful death, it's obvious a whole different thing to the likes of Whitebeard and Ace. This definitely doesn't mean its all over for Vergo, Monet, Pedro, Pound, Pekoms and Absalom, but it does improve the chances that a few of them could stay down and never been seen again. But despite being so surprise, Yasu's death is a hard hitting tragedy. Not only that, it's freaking brutal. He doesn't get to stay hanging on his crucifix like the martyr he is, he falls and crumples into a broken, mundane heap on the ground. Maybe talk about Oda's love of Game of Thrones is getting overdone, but the comparison has to be made to last week's episode, which also featured an execution in which the corpse was left callously to plummet. It's pretty full-on stuff. And worse, reading from a met perspective, we know Yasu's sacrifice hasn't even brought our heroes close to winning the war - only a step away from losing it. As Greg has been mentioning in his thread, the crew still seems too strong for this to be the darkest hour of Wano. Despite Yasu's sacrifice, things are going to get as bad as this again and then worse before its all over. Will it take another life to turn things around then?

    My favourite part of the Oden flashback at the start of the chapter is the backgrounds. Look at how lush and scenic Hakumai is compared to the wastelands we've seen so far in Wano. This was a beautiful place before Kaido and Orochi polluted it. Hopefully we get to see it restored to at least a little of its former glory before the crew moves on. In fact, the art was great all the way through the chapter. Those scenic shots of the view from the crucifix are amazing, and the crowd shots are spectacularly detailed. Once again the mix of a forced smile and genuine anguish on Toko's face is brilliant, but the random Ebisu locals in the crowd don't look quite as good.

    I also really like that the story is playing with the social politics of Wano, showing how even the people outside the plan are being made to gradually lose faith in their leader. I'm sure that will be key to victory later on, maybe moreso than the dedicated rebels being recruited actively, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out. Very curious to see where the Smile thing goes as well. Those things were first mentioned around when, Sabaody? More than a decade of build-up, a red herring with Dressrosa, to make us think that was the end of their significance, and now they're finally coming fully into play? Colour me excited!

    The one big complaint of the week is travel times. Zoro's group makes it to the capitol how exactly? That shack they were in must have been right on the boarder of Ringo, and even then it's a stretch. And how long has Chopper's group been travelling to the prison for, comparatively? You could say I'm nitpicking, but if Oda didn't want me keeping track of where people were he shouldn't have drawn a map, damn it!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    So could that girl from the start of the arc, tama, be daughter of daimyo too. I doubt she is just random girl with the importance she had in act 1 and still has some kind of role in act 2 part of rescue luffy team.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Wow, what a chapter this turned out to be. I think we can safely call this the finale of volume 93, then?

    It has to be acknowledged at this point that Oda's attitude towards death has shifted. I don't see any satisfying way for Yasu to still be alive, and while he is a meaningful figure dying a meaningful death, it's obvious a whole different thing to the likes of Whitebeard and Ace. This definitely doesn't mean its all over for Vergo, Monet, Pedro, Pound, Pekoms and Absalom, but it does improve the chances that a few of them could stay down and never been seen again. But despite being so surprise, Yasu's death is a hard hitting tragedy. Not only that, it's freaking brutal. He doesn't get to stay hanging on his crucifix like the martyr he is, he falls and crumples into a broken, mundane heap on the ground. Maybe talk about Oda's love of Game of Thrones is getting overdone, but the comparison has to be made to last week's episode, which also featured an execution in which the corpse was left callously to plummet. It's pretty full-on stuff. And worse, reading from a met perspective, we know Yasu's sacrifice hasn't even brought our heroes close to winning the war - only a step away from losing it. As Greg has been mentioning in his thread, the crew still seems too strong for this to be the darkest hour of Wano. Despite Yasu's sacrifice, things are going to get as bad as this again and then worse before its all over. Will it take another life to turn things around then?

    My favourite part of the Oden flashback at the start of the chapter is the backgrounds. Look at how lush and scenic Hakumai is compared to the wastelands we've seen so far in Wano. This was a beautiful place before Kaido and Orochi polluted it. Hopefully we get to see it restored to at least a little of its former glory before the crew moves on. In fact, the art was great all the way through the chapter. Those scenic shots of the view from the crucifix are amazing, and the crowd shots are spectacularly detailed. Once again the mix of a forced smile and genuine anguish on Toko's face is brilliant, but the random Ebisu locals in the crowd don't look quite as good.

    I also really like that the story is playing with the social politics of Wano, showing how even the people outside the plan are being made to gradually lose faith in their leader. I'm sure that will be key to victory later on, maybe moreso than the dedicated rebels being recruited actively, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out. Very curious to see where the Smile thing goes as well. Those things were first mentioned around when, Sabaody? More than a decade of build-up, a red herring with Dressrosa, to make us think that was the end of their significance, and now they're finally coming fully into play? Colour me excited!

    The one big complaint of the week is travel times. Zoro's group makes it to the capitol how exactly? That shack they were in must have been right on the boarder of Ringo, and even then it's a stretch. And how long has Chopper's group been travelling to the prison for, comparatively? You could say I'm nitpicking, but if Oda didn't want me keeping track of where people were he shouldn't have drawn a map, damn it!
    Clearly Kuri to Udon takes longer than Ringo to Flower Capital, Ringo is next to the Flower Capital etc

  19. #19

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Quote Originally Posted by td1 View Post
    Clearly Kuri to Udon takes longer than Ringo to Flower Capital, Ringo is next to the Flower Capital etc
    Kuri and Udon are also adjacent on the map. Obviously the distances are different, but not so different that a child can reach the capitol on foot in like an hour while a mounted group has been going to the prison for two days. It just doesn't fully line up in my mind.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Chapter 942: Daimyo of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie

    Quote Originally Posted by NamiRobinFrankyAce View Post
    Since we found out Orochi has 8 heads i always thought that he will be defeated by the 9 samurai. Each one of them will take care of one of his head.
    Not such a bad idea.
    It fits perfectly if only the Wano samurais and Momo without Inuarashi and Nekomamushi are involved.
    So each of the 7 scabbards will cut off one head and Momo cuts off the last one and revenges his family. Would be pretty nice, I think.
    And all the non-Wano people (Minks, Strawhats and so on) will be responsible for Kaidou. It also makes sense since Neko and Inu have to take revenge on Jack for what he did to the Minks.
    I would like that.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts