+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: One Piece Opening 22: "Over The Top" by Hiroshi Kitadani (7th July)

Default One Piece Opening 22: "Over The Top" by Hiroshi Kitadani (7th July)

One Piece Opening 22 will debut next 7th July. Tittle is "Over The Top" by Hiroshi Kitadani ("We Are!", "We Go!" or "We can!").

Last edited by redon; June 27th, 2019 at 07:09 AM.

Default Re: One Piece Opening 22: "Over The Top" by Hiroshi Kitadani (7th July)

Unpopular opinion: the only song by him I liked was We Are.
    Everything else was okay to meh

Agree with above. We Go was decent IMO but We Can felt uninspired to me, both song-wise and visual-wise. It's only merit for me was lowering my expectations for Hope to blow me away. I'd be more excited for this if We Go was the last opening we heard from Kitadani.

Wano is being set up as a new start for the anime; a new and iconic opening would fit much better than the nostalgia they seem to be going for.

Ugh, don't like a Kitadani opening by We Are time. Also, I feel it really unfitting for Wano atmosphere
    Prediction.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    a team of allosaurus, spinosaurus, pterodactyl, branchiosaurus, triceratops and ankylosaurus, keeping the T-Rex one for King and megalodon for Queen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    what if Rocks wanted to become the king of world... and he did i? Imu revealed to be Rocks could be a twist

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Not sad to see Super Powers go but that opening was kinda starting to grow on me. I feel like I would have enjoyed it if I were a kid watching on Sunday morning.

Hoping this opening is like We Go, less like We Can.

Spoiler:

Huh. The Super Powers theme didn't last long.

I guess it got the blame for the Reverie Arc having low ratings-- rather than the fact that Oda utterly wasted his one chance to do a One Piece arc that was about people other than Luffy and Nami, abandoned the whole thing right away without even telling a single complete story arc for any character or even really advancing the plot and thus the animators were left to scramble and ultimately made weeks and weeks of clip shows that primarily just reused old footage.

It was our one chance to have a Sabo story before he is probably killed just like Ace or have a story on Vivi, the abandoned Straw Hat member, or tell a story about what Koby has been up to for the past 2 years to advance his rank...

Instead the only take-aways are that Luffy's hat is probably magical, there is a secret hidden king in charge of the world government that even the kings don't know about, maybe not all of the Celestial Dragons are totally evil and that there is a secret pre-Roger Pirate King called Locks and Kaido and Linlin were his underlings and he may or may not be appearing again in the story. Everything else was basically just cameos of Luffy's friends and some met and got acquainted, particularly the princesses.

Which is... you know... would be fine for 1-2 episodes worth of story, but the animation team needed to fill out a dozen episodes that basically contained little more than that.

But, you know-- can't blame the source material, got to blame the opening song for the dropping ratings and get a new one.

Kitadani does classic anime openings best! We Are and We Go were great. But as said above, We Can was very uninspired...

The Opening 10 We Are remix was very bad, and We Go gets bad rep because it dragged on for so many episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Solgarde View Post

I guess it got the blame for the Reverie Arc having low ratings-- .
    Everything you said really doesn't make sense.

I guess it got the blame for the Reverie Arc having low ratings-- rather than the fact that Oda utterly wasted his one chance to do a One Piece arc that was about people other than Luffy and Nami, abandoned the whole thing right away without even telling a single complete story arc for any character or even really advancing the plot and thus the animators were left to scramble and ultimately made weeks and weeks of clip shows that primarily just reused old footage.

It was our one chance to have a Sabo story before he is probably killed just like Ace or have a story on Vivi, the abandoned Straw Hat member, or tell a story about what Koby has been up to for the past 2 years to advance his rank...

Instead the only take-aways are that Luffy's hat is probably magical, there is a secret hidden king in charge of the world government that even the kings don't know about, maybe not all of the Celestial Dragons are totally evil and that there is a secret pre-Roger Pirate King called Locks and Kaido and Linlin were his underlings and he may or may not be appearing again in the story. Everything else was basically just cameos of Luffy's friends and some met and got acquainted, particularly the princesses.

Which is... you know... would be fine for 1-2 episodes worth of story, but the animation team needed to fill out a dozen episodes that basically contained little more than that.

But, you know-- can't blame the source material, got to blame the opening song for the dropping ratings and get a new one.
    Nobody is blaming Super Powers for Reverie's reception. The opening was clearly designed for the latter part of Whole Cake Island, and everyone expected it to get replaced by the time Wano started - as you would typically expect a new arc, especially one as big as Wano, to get a new opening. The reasons Reverie struggled in the anime have nothing to do with the opening.

Spoiler:

This is... a weird conclusion to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Unpopular opinion: the only song by him I liked was We Are.
    Everything else was okay to meh
    That seems like the majority opinion.

Personally, I was really hoping for a Hironobu Kageyama opening.

The thing about We Can! is that Kitadani was strong-armed into doing it because the band Kishidan didn't want to do it without him for some reason. Kitadani's solo openings, We Are and We Go, are top tier One Piece openings.

I can only hope that Over The Top is more unique and specific to Wano.

Jump information in HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Nobody is blaming Super Powers for Reverie's reception. The opening was clearly designed for the latter part of Whole Cake Island, and everyone expected it to get replaced by the time Wano started - as you would typically expect a new arc, especially one as big as Wano, to get a new opening. The reasons Reverie struggled in the anime have nothing to do with the opening.
    What I am getting at is that I feel bad for a group that got to make a theme for One Piece, only for that theme song to only run for a small number of episodes, most of which were clip shows because Oda blew it on what could have been the most different and unique arc in the 20+ year story.

How would you feel if you were tasked to write a theme song for biggest anime in Japan only for it to be run only for clip shows?

We Can was a Kishidan song featuring vocals by Kitadani. It's not fair to hold that against him.

What I am getting at is that I feel bad for a group that got to make a theme for One Piece, only for that theme song to only run for a small number of episodes, most of which were clip shows because Oda blew it on what could have been the most different and unique arc in the 20+ year story.

How would you feel if you were tasked to write a theme song for biggest anime in Japan only for it to be run only for clip shows?
    "Most of"? I mean admittedly I haven't been keeping up with the anime for the entirety of Whole Cake Island, but I remember Super Powers premiering quite a while back, and the "clip shows" were just the short Reverie arc. Pretty sure Super Powers still got more airtime than Brand New World ever did. And even Brand New World's airtime was fairly standard for other anime.

Super Powers was intended for the final part of Whole Cake Island. It ran for 23 WCI episodes, 12 Reverie, and 2 Wano. It got added onto Reverie since nobody was going to make a Reverie-specific intro, and honestly I'd rather it be Super Powers and let Wano start off fresh. Nobody really has an issue with it, it was always going to be replaced by the next major arc (and when an opening runs into a new major arc, like We Can, it's typically not well-received)

And considering Japan, I think V6 considered it a great honor to create Super Powers regardless of what content it was used for.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    "Most of"? I mean admittedly I haven't been keeping up with the anime for the entirety of Whole Cake Island, but I remember Super Powers premiering quite a while back, and the "clip shows" were just the short Reverie arc. Pretty sure Super Powers still got more airtime than Brand New World ever did. And even Brand New World's airtime was fairly standard for other anime.
    I'm still miffed over that. Brand New World was way too awesome to be replaced this quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    I'm still miffed over that. Brand New World was way too awesome to be replaced this quickly.
    It used to be my favorite opening at one point. I mean it's since been surpassed by Fight Together, but indeed, Brand New World was pretty great. Yet it ended before the show even got to the fights it was teasing...

Super Powers was one of my favorites of recent openings, so definitely gonna miss it, but we were always gonna get a new one at Wano.

We Can is probably my least favorite opening overall, so hopefully it's not too similar to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    It used to be my favorite opening at one point. I mean it's since been surpassed by Fight Together, but indeed, Brand New World was pretty great. Yet it ended before the show even got to the fights it was teasing...
    Yeah, it may still be my favorite, though I also love Kokoro no Chizu, Fight Together (perfectly captures the emotions at that point the story) and We Go, which seems to be rather disliked by fans on this forum now. Personally, I thought it really displayed the energy of the series well and was a perfect choice for the start of the second part of the story. I guess it kinda outstayed its welcome for some?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information