+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 893: "O-Tama Appears - Luffy vs. the Kaido Army!"

Default 893: "O-Tama Appears - Luffy vs. the Kaido Army!"

Gee, that manticore from the other episode sure is going places isn't it?

Title: "O-Tama Appears - Luffy vs. the Kaido Army!"
    Chapters Covered: 911
    Episode Director: Kohei Kureta (****; new series co-director)
    Animation Director: Shuuichi Ito (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 893: "O-Tama Appears - Luffy vs. the Kaido Army!"

One Piece Episode 894 Preview

Zoro's Tatsumaki and Luffy vs. Kaido's Army - Episode 893

Last edited by thaihoa91; July 13th, 2019 at 06:23 PM.

Great episode, Zoro's Dragon Twister scene looked really great in my opinion.

Loving the extra the anime is putting into the Zoro scenes to amp up his badassness, and the reactions of all the Wano-SH's to him being outed.

Been a long while where I've looked forward to and enjoyed the anime so much on a weekly basis...man, would be amazing if this is how OP was all the time.

Wano is off to an epic start, Zoro is as badass as ever. Animation continues to be clean, okay Toei lets go! :)

Again a awesome episode and Ace looks fantastic in the preview.

A bit surprised that they haven't done much of Zoro fighting in this episode as filler or how he has for his swords back.

And minor complain. They again used only the Zoro and Luffy break panels.

Thought they would start showing the others

Animation was great in this episode too. Really impressive considering how boring the actual content is. Wish they could skip to Toko.
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

The preview last week was so misleading about Zoro as well.

Last week. How will Zoro fight without his swords.

This week... Fuck it let us skip it and he magically has hemm all back

Eh? Zoro stole a couple of swords from the guards he cut down in the last episode, and we saw him picking up his own this week. While they probably could have done more with the fight, we did see all the relevant developments in it on screen.

Awesome episode, the new art just looks sooo good, I can't help it. Ishizuka's part was absolutely lit, loved it!

Not expecting them to keep this level of quality through the whole arc considering the key animators who worked on the last two episodes,

but as long as we get this good looking art, combined with the new line filter, solid filler and if they do the key moments justice, I won't complain at all!

Toei finally stepping up their game! This is what this anime always deserved. Looking forward to next week!~

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Eh? Zoro stole a couple of swords from the guards he cut down in the last episode, and we saw him picking up his own this week. While they probably could have done more with the fight, we did see all the relevant developments in it on screen.
    Yeah, and since he killed everyone, I think its more than safe to assume he just walked off scot free...

I am in the minority but i dont like Opening 22 very much. The images are great,but the song is not that great in my opinion. I prefered SuperPower. Like i said,i am in the minority but still.

Another pretty good episode.

direction wise, Kureta did a pretty bang up job with the storyboard and direction, despite not covering much content there was a nice flow to the scenes and the expanded content was fun and made sense.

Animation wise, I really enjoyed the action. Zoro's dragon twister was an obvious highlight from Katsumi Ishizuka, however, it was Tu Yong Ce that handled a lot of the action between the creatures at the beginning of the episode, not to mention Luffy's take downs Kaido's goons, which were also really well executed. Luffy's attacks actually, as they rarely do, felt truly elastic, and had a great sense of impact to them. I think that only goes to show that Tu, despite his impressive workload of 80 cuts(on episodes that typically have 300 in total), his out put is still quite strong. Art wise the episode was solid, still digging the filters. Also worth noting, that nice bit of character animation from Otama when she pulled her cheek out, that was nice.

Personal side note for things I noted added in story. I enjoyed the expanded content, but I can't help but find some of it a bit amusing. Zoro killing every single samurai in that building is brutal, but makes sense, considering his Zoro(also, Zoro using a special move to take down droves of foes isn't unusual, he used dragon twister in FMI for that purpose), however, I found it funny after killing everyone, all Zoro muses is "the weather is nice in this country". You absolute monster. Also, in likelihood, Usopp just sent a guy to his death with that lie, because as already demonstrated, Zoro ain't showing no mercy to nobody. Also, speaking of showing no mercy, those Kaido goons were seriously going to sell Otama, an 8 year old, to a Brothel, merciless indeed. Kind of makes seeing them get obliterated by Luffy a bit more satisfying.

Overall, good episode. The direction was pretty solid, and the expanded scenes and action scenes were overall well handled and animated. Next episode looks like its going to be good as well, with Komaki, the third series director, taking over.

In the same vein as last week, I really loved this episode. It did not feel as a low priority side episode at all.

Really outstanding board and solid direction from Kureta who's able to incorporate amazing layouts in an episode. As expected from one of the best episode directors we have right now on rotation.

Every filler bit was entertaining for me. Despite ppl complaining about the SH's flashback in this episode, I'm glad it was expanded upon since I practically forgot what happened in the sorurce material.

Usopp's scene was pure gold, one of my favorite of this episode.

Katsumi Ishizuka and Tu Yong-ce did a terrific job this week as well.

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/82586

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/82587
    Last edited by MythicalDragon; July 14th, 2019 at 05:27 AM.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

someone can explain to me why those episodes are so well animated? i don't understand....is like watching a movie!!

Quote Originally Posted by BingBang View Post
    someone can explain to me why those episodes are so well animated? i don't understand....is like watching a movie!!
    Lots of shit...

New series director who also prompted a new character designer that also had a change in photography department, with the goal of updating the anime.

That new series director lead to two more new series directors, meaning for the first time in the history of the anime it has three series directors?

The best animators on the show(and a freelancer) have all worked on the last three episodes, handling mainly the prominent bits of action or other notable scenes, and their scenes have looked better under the new photography department.

Last two episodes have been directed by two of the series directors on the show(next episode will be directed by the third series directors, which will be the fourth episode directed in a row by a series director(the former series director who left worked on 891)).

That's a very barebones, basic look into it.

In other words, new creative team updated the anime visually, and have also been handling the most recent episodes with the best staff available to them(briefest of brief versions).

In other words, creative

This episode wasn’t quite the spectacle as last. There wasn’t a ton of gorgeous animation, art, editing, or shot composition (though I should note that all of these things were always decent to good and never bad). Also, the pace felt quite a bit slower than last episode, which had a whole little subplot with Zoro while still catching up with three other SHs. Just looked it up: this episode covered half a chapter and, though they made good use of implied filler, I felt the lack of content.

Still better than OP before the change, of course. A few great bits stuck out to me: Zoro’s attacks, Luffy dodging a bullet (got those trailing eye shadows), the water (and it’s coloring) on the beach, and the guy chasing Otama and getting punched off screen (from Luffy, also offscreen) super quick.

My one valid criticism (besides the pacing): the giant creatures sound ridiculous and the sound guys didn’t add any filters to make the voices sound less human or more giant. Those noises could’ve come out of something Chopper-sized. I think the only time (that I can remember) they worked hard on creature sound design was for Monster Chopper in Enies Lobby.
    Last edited by Zephray; July 14th, 2019 at 08:08 AM.

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    A
    And minor complain. They again used only the Zoro and Luffy break panels.

Thought they would start showing the others
    The break panels/eye catchers were Luffy and Zoro becuase the episode mainly concentrated on both of them. The other SH were in 3 very short scenes.

This is actually great because it shows the series director is taking even little details like that into consideration. There is a very strong guiding hand behind the anime now, and it shows.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

We likely won't be getting the other Straw Hats' eye catches until they show up again. Better than the second set when the show first went HD. It was just Luffy's for at least a year until the ass-end of Water 7.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information