+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 949: Mummy

Default Re: Chapter 949: Mummy

Time to use Luffy's anti-slavery rousing speech on my boss.

Speaking of, the true Boss Jimbei isn't here. Not in the chap, in this country and not even in the friggin' colour spread! This is not acceptable.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

The choice to use whut in that is my trunk tied up panel was the single best translation choice in all my years of reading this story. Hats off to the translator dude

That elephant-dude got wrecked hard!
    UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san/C.Gaban
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma/Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Roger/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/last ancient weapon/the D.clan
    DFSpider/Wind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

This wasn't one of my favorite chapters of Wano, and yet it still makes me have a huge smile on my face.

Nothing new was shown here about Luffy, but this chapter is the perfect representation of him. He's here to fight the guy in his way. He's amazing by all of the cool Samurai and wants the prisoners he's been with for a few days to aim to be that cool. And he puts his body on the line to convince them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Old Maid

Empress of Diabetes Miss Saturday's Avatar

It's, um.. interesting that the translation went with "mummy" for the name of the disease. I thought I heard it was called "zombie", which thematically makes more sense, but.. Whatever.
    An alright chapter I guess; I just really need to be done with Udon plz. Like, forever. This chapter ended in a hopeful note that we're done there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Speaking of, the true Boss Jimbei isn't here. Not in the chap, in this country and not even in the friggin' colour spread! This is not acceptable.
    That might be because he's still not a real Strawhat

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    It's, um.. interesting that the translation went with "mummy" for the name of the disease. I thought I heard it was called "zombie", which thematically makes more sense, but.. Whatever.
    What separates a zombie and a mummy its how one body is dry and the other is just rotting.

Did Oda straight up have Luffy kill/cause the death of Babanuki? I don't see how he'd survive that explosion in addition to the 200 doses of the viruses straight to his insides.

Quote Originally Posted by No Zaku View Post
    Did Oda straight up have Luffy kill/cause the death of Babanuki? I don't see how he'd survive that explosion in addition to the 200 doses of the viruses straight to his insides.
    Eh, he's fine he'll walk it off.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

"Don't see how he'd survive that explosion" he he. he he he

Spoiler:

Been saying Old Maid this whole time, but Babanuki sounds better. Not much is different. Luffy reminding the warriors of Wano that they used to be great.

I still question if some of these elemental looking effects are actually real applications of CoA, an exaggeration by Oda, or somewhere in the middle. It looks like snow where Kiku is fighting, actual electricity while Raizo is throwing shuriken and gaseous like flames for Hyo. When it comes to Luffy, Sanji and Kinemon's flames, I hope there can be some explanation before this arc ends.

Whereas Queen carries the idea of power the name old maid makes you think an old maid. Babnuki is much more interesting IMO. Oh yeah and Luffy did his best Braveheart impression here in a while. Really moved me and I like how after it, he leaves the fighting to them.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Whereas Queen carries the idea of power the name old maid makes you think an old maid. Babnuki is much more interesting IMO.
    I think it is only because you don't understand what it means. Since baba means old woman, I don't see how one is more interesting than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    I think it is only because you don't understand what it means. Since baba means old woman, I don't see how one is more interesting than the other.
    Yeah, I remember Killua used to use Baba-chan for Biscuit and that's how I remember it

I was surprised to see another Udon chapter at first, but it all made sense by the end. It's felt a little slow week by week, but I think the volume reread will show this was just the right place to end it. Wano has emphasised the need to recruit help from the locals and make the people a part of their own rebellion, and it wouldn't have been right to let Luffy's prison break end without putting that factor in the limelight.

But first, that colour spread is a gorgeous piece of work as always. Chopper without his hat is a mildly cursed image, but Zoro holding the ring and "chopper on board" more than make up for it.

I'm glad the final chapter title isn't "zombie" like the first spoilers suggested, given that it was already chapter 84. And prettymuch chapter 445. We don't need another zombie chapter title. That said, what's the connection between mummification and infections for Japan? The pokemon ability Mummy also works that way, so this clearly isn't just an Oda creation, but none of the western lore/mythology around mummies that I know works the same way.

Luffy's big speech is a fantastic character moment that plays well into his growing maturity over the course of the New World. He's really showing that legendary "king's disposition" here, and I think it's worth noting that he's doing it intentionally and knowingly. This isn't just a case of 'Luffy rushes in and people follow him because he's bold and charismatic but he doesn't care if they follow or not because he's doing the thing either way,' it's Luffy very genuinely taking a stand against the prisoners' lifestyle and choosing to bring them to his side. It's also an interesting point of comparison to his "I'm not a hero" speech from Fishman Island. Luffy's morality is still framed as relative (ie he's doing the right thing by his personal friend Tama, not he's doing the right thing because it's the right thing) but he's taken a personal stake in the lives of the prisoners in a way he hadn't quite done before.

The end of Babanuki was hilariously unexpected. I don't think he's actually dead; he'll crawl away and show up with his head and the elephant's wrapped in bandages later, but it's a great note to end his role here on. "Whut" was also a great translation choice for that one panel. Gets the tone juuust right.

And while we're here, the Boichi cover chapter was pretty sweet. That dude has a great talent for texture work and fun expressions. The nitpick I have with his work, both here and in what I read of Dr Stone, it that his panels often run off every edge of the page, even into the spine. I'm of a mind that that shouldn't be happening unless it's specifically a spread page. It's the kind of thing that has no impact when you read one page at a time online, but isn't great in a physical book or in official readers that show spreads. But also it hardly ruins the experience, and Boichi's particular brand of exaggeration is a great fit for a One Piece chapter. Can't wait to see who else they get on board for this project!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I was surprised to see another Udon chapter at first, but it all made sense by the end. It's felt a little slow week by week, but I think the volume reread will show this was just the right place to end it. Wano has emphasised the need to recruit help from the locals and make the people a part of their own rebellion, and it wouldn't have been right to let Luffy's prison break end without putting that factor in the limelight.

But first, that colour spread is a gorgeous piece of work as always. Chopper without his hat is a mildly cursed image, but Zoro holding the ring and "chopper on board" more than make up for it.

I'm glad the final chapter title isn't "zombie" like the first spoilers suggested, given that it was already chapter 84. And prettymuch chapter 445. We don't need another zombie chapter title. That said, what's the connection between mummification and infections for Japan? The pokemon ability Mummy also works that way, so this clearly isn't just an Oda creation, but none of the western lore/mythology around mummies that I know works the same way.
    I don't know about the exact connection to Japan, but I think this is embalming fluid. It's used as part of a process to preserve dead bodies and I think putting it in living humans can cause these same reactions from the chapter.

May also be tied into the idea of a "Mummy's Curse".

Even without the shambling undead variant, having the people who unearth an ancient mummified pharaoh's tomb start to die off inexplicably soon afterwards, often linked to a curse or a disease, is a fairly common plot thread.
    Last edited by otakufan; July 22nd, 2019 at 04:52 AM.

Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by No Zaku View Post
    Wapol survived decapitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    It's actually mummy (ミイラ). I suppose it's because the victim ends up looking like one after the blood has left their body and they get all shrived up.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information