+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 957: ULTIMATE

Default Re: Chapter 957: ULTIMATE

The spoiler thread was way too huge to glance through, so just gonna skip all that and go here.

Can't say I was really as blown away by the chapter as the hype led me to believe. Bounties are cool and all, but most of the Rocks pirate past stuff I just wasn't terribly interested in. Would've rather seen all this in a flashback or inferred it from Big Mom and Kaido's conversations going forward. It was a fine chapter, but the least interesting of the stuff I'm interested in seeing before we get back to Wano.

The Garp/Roger team up is cool and it really connects well with the Smoker/Luffy dynamic. That was the most interesting part to me.

Duuuude

I'm glad the official Viz was willing to make the change over from Rox to Rocks.

Too bad the same chapter had them altering Oda's art to go from Teach to Teech, and still using Elbaph instead of Elbaf....

Quote Originally Posted by Selph View Post
    What's the deal with the different names of the pirate island? Scans call it Beehive while the official translation call it Fullalead. I see from the wiki page that it is called Hachinosu in japanese. Can someone elaborate?
    Stephen explained it on the podcast once; Hachinosu literally means beehive, but the implication is of someone being riddled with bullet holes. He went with the term "pumped full a' lead" to give the same idea.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

I just realized that Kaido's bit about Luffy and Law's "little pirate games" makes him so full of shit now that we know he was Rock's cabin boy. XD

Wait, doesn't that mean that he knows a lot and not to take this as a joke? From what was said, they were attacking each other. Interesting that all of the ideologies were able to fit within 1 crew. WB wants a family, BM wants "equality" in a sense, and Kaido wants the strongest and I guess a thrill from a gruesome fight or war (whatever else is explained later because I doubt he's fleshed out fully).

Maybe Kaido's lust for that battle left him half dead and BM saved him. This would possibly answer why he owes her and he brushes it off because he rather die in a ridiculous battle than live in a boring era.

The more information Oda gives us, the more I realize we still don't know...

Why did Roger defend the Celestial Dragons with Garp?
    The most likely answer is partly suggested by Sengoku: Roger was inevitably a rival to Rocks, given that they were both(if not already the equivalent to Yonko at this point, which is implied) some of the most dangerous pirate crews. Roger might have already specifically chose this destination to clash with him, because he knew that the Rocks pirates wanted to slaughter the World Government and become King... and Roger had no interest in those mad men becoming the rulers of the world. Garp was simply there to do his job. Garp might have actually less to do with this victory then he would want to admit... Not only because he had to team-up with a pirate to win, but because Roger's crew might have actually carried most of the battle themselves for their own reasons... and for the sake of the Navy's reputation, and the fact that Roger (a pirate) could be the hero in the end (a reoccurring motif of he narrative), he really doesn't want to/can't be made to speak honestly about it.

I love that Sengoku is ready to spill all the beans. The navy seems to really hate the Celestial Dragons and World Government, yet are 100% gung-ho about whatever they think is right, or whatever their orders are. I wonder if the admirals will always been left in the dark until the last moment, when in their loss - they realize they were fighting for the wrong side and the right side, all along? Or... will Imu's "side" become it's own independant thing, and the Navy ends up turning against it? (Unless Sword is specifically the cabal being brewed to challenge the WG someday).

The coolest thing about Beehive is that it is the "pirate's paradise island" where the Davy Back Fight was created.

Let the theories come.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    The coolest thing about Beehive is that it is the "pirate's paradise island" where the Davy Back Fight was created.

Let the theories come.
    That's my headcannon for why Whitebeard would end up on Rocks' crew, despite having a personality that doesn't gel. Whatever crew Whitebeard was with lost it, and Rocks got ahold of a guy who would go on to be the World's Strongest. There's plenty of alternative explanations, too, to be sure, but I find this one interesting.

I wonder what Shanks ultimately did to manifest himself as an emperor. Blackbeard quickly conquered Whitebeard's territories after his death, but it wasn't until the Grudge War that the world labeled him an emperor, so I expect some specific event to have occurred in Shanks' case as well.

Judging by that panel of Roger and Garp facing the Rocks, Roger already didn't wear the strawhat anymore at that point, interesting.
    Last edited by Tarek; September 29th, 2019 at 07:43 PM.

Didn't notice Fujitora was travelling through the Calm Belt until now. Meaning he's in charge of arresting Hancock or that the admirals clashing with the Revs was more than just a clash and the Revs were outright defeated and arrested.

Also, is it just me or does Rocks' silhouette look kind of like Dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by Imperade View Post
    That's my headcannon for why Whitebeard would end up on Rocks' crew, despite having a personality that doesn't gel. Whatever crew Whitebeard was with lost it, and Rocks got ahold of a guy who would go on to be the World's Strongest. There's plenty of alternative explanations, too, to be sure, but I find this one interesting.
    Honestly, despite believing that the DBF will still play another role in OP again, it is the least interesting idea to explain why the Rocks' crew was created, in my opinion. It takes away the motivation of these characters out of the equation, although one could argue that if they were playing the game, each of them had a rpurpose to be there.

In general, we can pretend that we fully understand all of these characters, but we're talking about another time of their lives when they were much younger. Kaidou was just an apprentice. Whitebeard still was searching for a family and he was too young to be "pops", so maybe he saw those strong individuals as the closest thing to him that he could find in his life. Big Mom could have joined them for any random reason too, like believing that making Rocks the king of the world could help her accomplish her dream to create an utopia.

And we shouldn't underestimate Rocks' ability to persuade those pirates to follow him for a greater cause. He is supposed to be someone really special.

So you have the contrast getween Roger and Garp and Luffy and Smoker, then you get the contrast between Rocks and Blackbeard. I wonder if the final battle is going to be Luffy and Smoker, or Aikainu, or kuzon, or one of the admirals vs. Blackbeard as a parallel to that battle. A lot of the players seek vary simillar.

Quote Originally Posted by No Zaku View Post
    Didn't notice Fujitora was travelling through the Calm Belt until now.
    He's not in the Calm Belt (or at least not yet), otherwise the ship's sails would be furled and they would use paddles to move since there is no wind.

Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Tarek View Post
    I wonder what Shanks ultimately did to manifest himself as an emperor. Blackbeard quickly conquered Whitebeard's territories after his death, but it wasn't until the Grudge War that the world labeled him an emperor, so I expect some specific event to have occured in Shanks' case as well.

Judging by that panel of Roger and Garp facing the Rocks, Roger already didn't wear the strawhat anymore at that point, interesting.
    Luffy was labeled an "emperor" after the BM attack. Teach after taking WB's territory. It has to do with making a big move on a Yonkou. Unlike Urouge, Kidd and others

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    Luffy was labeled an "emperor" after the BM attack. Teach after taking WB's territory. It has to do with making a big move on a Yonkou. Unlike Urouge, Kidd and others
    By the newspaper, it's clear though that the world doesn't yet view him truly as an equal to the others.

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

This isn't just the chapter of the year, this is the best chapter of this series so far.

When it comes to world building and writing lore, Oda is a master. He gives you just enough information to keep you wanting to come back for more. He plants seeds you didn't even know were there to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarek View Post
    He's not in the Calm Belt (or at least not yet), otherwise the ship's sails would be furled and they would use paddles to move since there is no wind.

He might be nearing it, I just saw the sea king and thought Calm Belt.

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    I'm glad the official Viz was willing to make the change over from Rox to Rocks.

Too bad the same chapter had them altering Oda's art to go from Teach to Teech, and still using Elbaph instead of Elbaf....
    "Rox" had only appeared once before in a throwaway line, compared t this chapter where it appeared like 80 times.

The other ones had showed up many many times, going back decades in some cases now. Too deep in to change those now, same as Zoro or Jinbe/Jimbei. For the general American audience that wouldn't seem like a correction of an old mistake, but rather a brand new mistake.

Personally the one that still bothers me is nami's joining chapter being changed from "The Second Person" to "The Other Villain", completely mucking up the context.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Robby I demand a rock flavored cookie
    Last.fm | Tumblr | MAL | Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !
     A  TURTLE  MADE  IT  TO  THE  WATER 

Empress of Diabetes Miss Saturday's Avatar

I find it hilarious when people say this is THE BESTEST CHAPTER EVER!! Like... literally nothing happened lmao. We just got bounty numbers -- which are irrelevant to the plot -- and confirmation that BM and Kaido were in a crew together; mostly shit people had already guessed at.

I mean I get it, it's cool that we found out Garp and Roger beat them up and that there's some dead guy named Rocks but god damn y'all lol

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information