+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 957: ULTIMATE

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: Chapter 957: ULTIMATE

Chapter of the year for sure. I notice that Sengoku mentioned that the Red Hair Pirates are the most rounded crew of the Yokku. Does that mean Beckman, Yassop, and Lucky Roo all have bounties over one billion beries? I always believed that Ussop would surpass Yassop's bountiy at the end of the series, but now I'm hesitant to make the claim now since I think that Ussop with a billion plus bounty at the end of the series is a little extreme to me.

So the chapter makes it more clear that Xebec is dead. I'm sure some expect him to be alive unbeknownst to everyone, but I think for now I'll continue to believe he's dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Namiorbust View Post
    Chapter of the year for sure. I notice that Sengoku mentioned that the Red Hair Pirates are the most rounded crew of the Yokku. Does that mean Beckman, Yassop, and Lucky Roo all have bounties over one billion beries? I always believed that Ussop would surpass Yassop's bountiy at the end of the series, but now I'm hesitant to make the claim now since I think that Ussop with a billion plus bounty at the end of the series is a little extreme to me.
    He's literally called God Usopp now, it wouldn't surprise me at all for him to get an extreme bounty like that, Oda certainly has big plans for him. I think us being reminded that his father is a amazing pirate himself further hunts towards that.

Usopp will be known as one of Luffy's top guys alongside Zoro and Sanji. I'm pretty sure the story is building towards that.

What's the deal with the different names of the pirate island? Scans call it Beehive while the official translation call it Fullalead. I see from the wiki page that it is called Hachinosu in japanese. Can someone elaborate?

I like the overall flow of Sengoku's speech better in the official version. And is Fujitora saying that he was one of the schichibukai or that he was one of the necessary sacrifices to keep them going? It's a bit confusing.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I really enjoy the color spread, it reminds me of the old-school color spreads. Don't have any problem with recent color spreads, but throwbacks are always fun.

Spoiler:

The official translation pretty much cinched my take that the redhair commanders are the individually most impressive. Small scale, better quality and no pushovers in their crew.

The we all used to hang out reveal still feels off, even more so when it comes with a we don't like to talk about it old shame handwave stamped on it. Like i could've lived with BM and Kaido being old crewmates, but why taint Whitebeard with this shit. Oh well it is what it is i guess.

Not sure if they'll all be above a billion, but it might be safe to assume that they're all at least stronger than Jack or Cracker, who'd figure as the weaker parts of Big Mom and Kaido's upper echelon fighters, but given the type of people they are, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually had lower bounties. I do think that whatever Yassop's bounty is, Usopp will surpass it, even if it's an epilogue thing.

Also a question for everyone, how do all of you feel about Fullalead Island instead of Beehive?

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    So the chapter makes it more clear that Xebec is dead. I'm sure some expect him to be alive unbeknownst to everyone, but I think for now I'll continue to believe he's dead.

Your

He's literally called God Usopp now, it wouldn't surprise me at all for him to get an extreme bounty like that, Oda certainly has big plans for him. I think us being reminded that his father is a amazing pirate himself further hunts towards that.
    You are probably right. Ussop's bounty will probably skyrocket after Elbaf. It just seems surreal that most or all of the SH's could have over a billion beri bounties or close to that after Luffy becomes the PK. Also I'm calling right now Luffy will still not have the highest bounty(I agree with the 5.6 billion figure in the spoiler thread for Luffy)at the end of the series. That honor will belong to his father.

Quote Originally Posted by Selph View Post
    What's the deal with the different names of the pirate island? Scans call it Beehive while the official translation call it Fullalead. I see from the wiki page that it is called Hachinosu in japanese. Can someone elaborate?

I like the overall flow of Sengoku's speech better in the official version. And is Fujitora saying that he was one of the schichibukai or that he was one of the necessary sacrifices to keep them going? It's a bit confusing.
    Definitely referring to the necessary sacrifices part.

You are probably right. Ussop's bounty will probably skyrocket after Elbaf. It just seems surreal that most or all of the SH's could have over a billion beri bounties or close to that after Luffy becomes the PK. Also I'm calling right now Luffy will still not have the highest bounty(I agree with the 5.6 billion figure in the spoiler thread for Luffy)at the end of the series. That honor will belong to his father.
    I don't believe that at all. My guess is that Dragon's bounty is somewhere between Whitebeard's and Roger's, but I think Luffy has to surpass all of them. He's inheriting both of their wills, for one, Roger's by choice, and Dragon's because of logical progression. The Straw Hats have to be the final key to fulfilling the Revolutionary's goal.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Also a question for everyone, how do all of you feel about Fullalead Island instead of Beehive?
    Sounds more like a town in lucky luke.

Not that beehive had any pirate connotations

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I don't believe that at all. My guess is that Dragon's bounty is somewhere between Whitebeard's and Roger's, but I think Luffy has to surpass all of them. He's inheriting both of their wills, for one, Roger's by choice, and Dragon's because of logical progression. The Straw Hats have to be the final key to fulfilling the Revolutionary's goal.
    Rodger would still have a higher bounty than Luffy EOS due to inflation. Seriously though this does make sense when I thought about it. I foresee Luffy, Dragon and most likely Garp will have one hell of a family reunion after Wano. Luffy will probably no see eye to eye with his father at first imo.

The chapter flows better with the official text.

Fullalead makes me think of fantasy tale. Just like Laughtale. So I think it fits with the other islands name. Beehive sounds cooler and more grounded.

The scans had me thinking that's where Garp and Roger met but it doesn't seem to be the case. But the official confuse me on what the rocks was. A temporary pact or a crew. Also the handwaving for why it was never mentioned is very much BS.

I do find rocks story interesting. A pirate that wanted to be king and the proto revolutionary. I just don't like all the BS tied to it like having everyone on his crew or how he diminish Whitebeard. Also I find it really weird that his bounty would be lower than Whitebeard with such forces and ambitions.

Kaido and Luffy tied important people into their crews, but if that happend in the past it is bullshit? So Rox has to overthrow the WG with civil militia mooks only and no cheating? People are complaining about things you'd never imagine.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

This chapter is AWESOME!! Totally a hype chapter for the fans to rejoice, but done just RIGHT. Since I won’t focus too much on it, I’ll just leave a small note saying that I really appreciate how Oda spent big panels for each bounty reveal, they were beautiful to see, very visually appealing. Even better was the nice and slow pace dedicated to the lore being told, always delivering a new punch at each turn of the page, which comes from great understanding of the manga form.

What puts the chapter over the top though is the marvelous infodump, obviously, which brings some deep thematic implications to the narrative, especially regarding Rocks and his gigantic purpose in the story.

By now I suppose that everybody in the OP fandom already knows that one of the main themes of the series is “inherited will”, and Rocks fills up a very special role in this narrative. It’s not an original thought, by I’ll go on my ramble here.

This chapter brings some hints of important similarities between Rocks and Black Beard, as many readers have noticed. At the heart of the comparison is that the nature of their leadership and the essence of their crew are pretty much the same: a lot of powerful individuals brought together by the desire for power, but lacking any personal affinity at all and just about to break apart from inside out. Besides that, there is also the fact that Teach is the new ruler of Beehive, building up his legacy in the same island where Rocks kickstarted his legendary crew. Even weirder is that BB’s ship goes by the name “Saber of Xebec”, making reference to Rocks’ given name even if it’s just a random coincidence.

I don’t know if there is any personal relationship between the two of the them, or if Teach just idolizes Rocks’ legacy, but that’s not the point. What matters is that both are flagships of the same ideology that seizes to take over the world through destruction. In this world of wills inherited through the flow of time, Teach has inherited Rocks’ ideals of dominance and chaotic supremacy.

The most interesting thing is that these two men also carry the name of the D., and suddenly a new pattern starts to show up in the narrative. Teach is not just an exception anymore.

In a nutshell, I believe there are two main ideological faction inside the clan of the D. that are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Therefore, we shouldn’t see the will of the D. as an unified ideal against the established order anymore, but rather as a much more complex puzzle. One of these factions is much more about the supremacy of power, about men conquering men through force and imposing his will over the world; as for the other faction, it is all about freedom and fraternity, about men cooperating with the fellow men with respect in order to build up value and happiness together. Oh boy, right now I wish I had read more neoclassical and anarchist authors, because it seems to me that these factions are the two side of human nature explored by this type of literature, some authors more optimistic and others more pessimistic about the reality of our communion together.

This duality is now represented by Luffy vs Black Beard, and before them by Roger vs Rocks, and in the distant past this same conflict was probably in place between Joyboy and another D.

All that said, the world of One Piece portrays other ideological forces beyond the clan of the D., and the most prominent of them all is represented by the TENRYUUBITO through the current World Government. And that’s the main “triforce” of political ideas of this series.

Obviously, there are more shades of grey in the story. For example, the Marines are an organization under the WG to protect the rule of the Tenryuubito as guard dogs, but they also carry an ethical purpose of peace that goes beyond all the politics above them, and that’s when the sense of justice of each soldier shines the most, especially people like Garp, Smoker and Coby that believe that their job is to serve the people, not the world nobility. I’d say the Marines are the fourth most important faction ideologically, yet a little less important than the other three because they are subdued by the dominant order of the WG.

What makes the GOD VALLEY INCIDENT so fascinating is that it is a microcosmos of the whole narrative, a great war of unlikely alliances and inevitable clashes between all these factions. Roger, Rocks, Garp and the Tenryuubito all in the same place competing against each other. Oh, and I bet that the Gorousei were there fighting too, at least the older ones!

It’s interesting to think that the three protagonists of the God Valley Incident were all D., and it seems that each one of them had a different purpose in life. It’s funny that just a moment before I was posing a duality inside the clan of the D., but Garp actually brings a different answer to whatever Rocks and Roger each represent for the narrative.

At last, this chapter makes me think a lot about who is going to be the final boss of the series. The two main candidates were always Black Beard and the Tenryuubito, unless some really weird plot twist takes place at the end of OP. Well, despite Teach being the greatest evil according to the common sense, I argue that the WG was the most prominent entity in the series across all sagas, and the Tenryuubito would be the most emblematic final villain for the story from the perspective of the lore of the series and the political ideas behind the story. However, now that Rocks engraved his name in the mythology of OP, it may be the case that the darkness that Teach throws at the world is the ultimate threat that Oda wants to explore in his masterpiece.

What a chapter! One Piece is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Also I find it really weird that his bounty would be lower than Whitebeard with such forces and ambitions.
    You don't know how long he's been active. He could have been active only for a couple of years, like Luffy. WB was active for over 40 years.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Can somebody point out to me on which SBS we get to know the name of Blackbeards ship?
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Can somebody point out to me on which SBS we get to know the name of Blackbeards ship?
    No SBS, Vivre Card.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

They say the captain of the Rocks pirates is dead, do you guys believe this?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information