+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 109 FirstFirst ... 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2176

Thread: American Politics: We're in for it now

Default Re: American Politics: We're in for it now

You know, I was 100% convinced Hillary would win in 2016 and we all know how that turned out. So maybe it's a good thing I'm 100% convinced trumpy is going to win this year, lol.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The D. View Post
    You know, I was 100% convinced Hillary would win in 2016 and we all know how that turned out. So maybe it's a good thing I'm 100% convinced trumpy is going to win this year, lol.
    When you expect the worse you can only be pleasantly surprised?

Regarding Trump and the bounties, I haven't looked into it in-depth myself, but even if Trump was briefed, who knows if he actually listened? Trump's a moron, remember. I saw it mentioned he was given a written brief. Does anyone here think for a moment that, if so, he actually read it?

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Oh there is absolutely no reason for you to know that, I ONLY know it because I lived in Texas my entire life and saw it happen literally every single time and had time to think about it and why.
    Yeah, that makes sense to be honest.

I can not however, tell you a single thing about elections in your state of Pennsylvania. Not a single thing without looking it up.
    I don't know much either since it's not my home state which is Illinois which was always blue. Most disliked the Republican politicians, I remember most of the George W. Bush era there and the dislike of him.

There's not a whole lot of reason for people to follow specific election details outside of their own area most of the time, that's perfectly normal. (poitics nerds in an election year are an anomaly, not the norm.)
    Yeah, that makes sense.

But since I *do* know about the specifics of Texas, I try to inform people whenever the story comes up of "Biden might win Texas" because... no, he won't. There's hope and optimism, and then there's straight up misinterpreted data and false promises. Even as badly as Trump is doing, its not happening.
    Yeah, thanks for giving me your insight on it, I don't like having misinterpreted data lol

Trump would have to do something specifically TO Texas, and no, "let Corona run rampant" isn't enough because his people aren't blaming him for that. (Our mayor might be though.) Like, have it hit by a hurricane the week before elections and refuse to send funds. Or say "Cowboys suck, they're a terrible football team, and the Spurs didn't deserve all their championships" or something. But even those things probably wouldn't really hit the red areas.
    I thought it would have been because of the Coronavirus, but I see what you mean. Yeah, I get it. They need a different reason to not vote for Trump.

Like I said though, it might end up being the closest race in decades, and they'll have to waste time and money in a state they normally never would, so that IS a good thing!
    Yes it is quite a good thing, as it gives Biden chance to win the swing states. I donated some to his campaign too. Hopefully he wins.

(And in a decade it might be reliably purple. Once it turns actually blue the republican party as it exists is dead.)
    Yeah, that be crazy when that happens. Maybe then the party has to change their platform; probably get rid of the religion part which I feel like ruined them.

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - 雄塩; Character - Ayano Sugiura; Series - Yuru Yuri
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/goddessarisu/; Discord: Starla Lily-Moon#2548
    ~Formerly known as Stranger~

No, whatever I expect to happen never does.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

No, whatever I expect to happen never does.
    Buy a lottery ticket and expect to lose!

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    Regarding Trump and the bounties, I haven't looked into it in-depth myself, but even if Trump was briefed, who knows if he actually listened?
    He was told over a year ago repeatedly.

And even if he somehow wasn't, (which would be a complete failing on the part of all our intel guys) WE found out about it on Friday and he still hasn't said or done a thing about it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

From Elvis in Memphis Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Trump likes soldiers who don't get bushwhacked by Pakistan-funded Taliban goons in return for a big of cash from Russia like it's the fucking wild west.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Trump likes soldiers who don't get bushwhacked by Pakistan-funded Taliban goons in return for a big of cash from Russia like it's the fucking wild west.
    No he simply likes the hustle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

When you expect the worse you can only be pleasantly surprised?

Regarding Trump and the bounties, I haven't looked into it in-depth myself, but even if Trump was briefed, who knows if he actually listened? Trump's a moron, remember. I saw it mentioned he was given a written brief. Does anyone here think for a moment that, if so, he actually read it?
    I'm seriously calling it the Starscream Defense from now on.

When you do or say something that makes you look like a duplicitous monster and your only possible defense is "I'm not evil, I'm just stupid".

The problem with that is: He's the Fucking president of the United Fucking States.

If He does something awful and the only options are "Evil" or "Stupid" in what universe is EITHER option a good thing for the leader of an entire fucking country to be?!?!

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Another reason why elections matter

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...es-misconduct/
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    If ya can't beat 'em, cheat 'em -official motto of the republican party.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

If ya can't beat 'em, cheat 'em -official motto of the republican party.
    That's politics 101, the big deal is stopping a break in foreign interference in the election. After the previous one already rouse doubts about foreign interference.

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...6/30/day-1258/

Day 1258: "We're going in the wrong direction."
    •  Dept. of “We Have It Totally Under Control.”
    • Global: Total confirmed cases: ~10,394,000; deaths: ~509,000
    • U.S.: Total confirmed cases: ~2,624,000; deaths: ~128,000
    • Source: Johns Hopkins University

1/ Dr. Anthony Fauci warned a Senate committee that the U.S. is “not in total control” of the coronavirus and that infections could more than double to 100,000 a day if the country fails to contain the surge. The nation’s top infectious diseases expert said “we’re going in the wrong direction” and the recent sharp rise in cases, largely in the South and the West, “puts the entire country at risk.” Fauci declined to estimate the number of potential deaths, but said “It is going to be very disturbing, I guarantee you that.” (New York Times / Washington Post / Bloomberg / Politico / NBC News / CNN / CNBC)
    • A new strain of the H1N1 swine flu virus is spreading on pig farms in China and should be “urgently” controlled to avoid another pandemic, according to a new study. The new strain, known as G4 EA H1N1, has been common on China’s pig farms since 2016 and has characteristics of the 2009 H1N1 virus and 1918 pandemic flu. The H1N1 swine flu emerged in Mexico in April 2009 and infected at least 700 million worldwide and 60.8 million people in the U.S. An estimated 151,700 to 575,400 people died from the virus globally. (New York Times / BBC / CNBC)
    • South Dakota will not require thousands of people who attend a July 3 event at Mount Rushmore with Trump to practice social distancing. Gov. Kristi Noem said “We told those folks that have concerns that they can stay home, but those who want to come and join us, we’ll be giving out free face masks, if they choose to wear one. But we won’t be social distancing.” (Axios / NBC News)
    • The European Union formally extended a travel ban for U.S. residents, deeming the American response to the coronavirus pandemic insufficient. (New York Times / Bloomberg / Wall Street Journal)
    • The deadline to apply for the Paycheck Protection Program will end today with more than $130 billion left unused. For many small businesses, the process to receive PPP funding was confusing and some businesses were hesitant to apply as forgiveness guidelines shifted multiple times. (ABC News / Washington Post)
    2/ The White House and the National Security Council learned that Russia was offering bounties on U.S. and coalition troops in early 2019 – at least a month before an April 2019 car bomb attack in Afghanistan that killed three U.S. Marines. The intelligence was also included in at least one of Trump’s President’s Daily Brief documents at the time, according to U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the intelligence. John Bolton, Trump’s national security adviser at the time, reportedly told colleagues he briefed Trump on the intelligence in March 2019. (Associated Press / NBC News)
    3/ Trump received a second written presidential daily briefing earlier this year that Russia paid bounties for the killing of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan. The intelligence was included months ago in Trump’s President’s Daily Brief in late February. One official cited the Feb. 27 briefing document. Trump doesn’t fully or regularly read the President’s Daily Brief, preferring to receive an oral briefing two or three times a week by his intelligence officials. While the White House press secretary, Kayleigh McEnany, confirmed that “The president does read,” she claimed that Trump was not briefed about the bounties in an oral session, saying “He was not personally briefed on the matter. That is all I can share with you today.” McEnany also condemned the New York Times for publishing “unverified” allegations, suggesting that “rogue intelligence officers” were undermining Trump and national security. (New York Times / CNN / Bloomberg / Axios)
    • Intelligence analysts intercepted electronic data showing large financial transfers from a bank account controlled by Russia’s military intelligence agency to a Taliban-linked account. (New York Times)
    4/ Republicans have skipped all but one of the House Intelligence Committee’s meetings since March. Democrats claim Republicans are boycotting the sessions out of partisan spite, while Republicans say they have legitimate concerns about the security of the virtual sessions. The committee has held at least seven bipartisan open- and closed-door sessions since the coronavirus pandemic hit the U.S. in March. (Politico)
    5/ A New York judge temporarily blocked the publication of Mary Trump’s book about her uncle, Donald Trump, saying no copies can be distributed until he hears arguments in the case. Robert Trump asked the court to block Mary Trump’s book, “Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man,” saying its publication would violate the nondisclosure agreement she signed. The book is set for release on July 28. (Politico / Washington Post / CNBC)
    poll/ 71% of Americans say they would get a coronavirus vaccine, while 27% say they probably or definitely would not. According to researchers at Johns Hopkins University, at least 70% will need immunity to the virus to reach herd immunity. (Washington Post)
    poll/ 87% of Americans are dissatisfied with the way things are going in the country, while 12% are satisfied. (Pew Research Center)

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.

Jeff Sessions with the random gaslighting and dog whistling

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/...?event=event25

Trump is fighting super hard to stop the removal of statues of Confederates and slave owners. He also said he would refuse to sign a bill if it meant changing the names of military bases named after them as well.

Trump is informed Russia pays the Taliban to kill Americans and doesn't give a shit.

Make America great again...

The fact that he continues to have any support whatsoever outside of his dedicated group of die-hard racists is the biggest indictment of our country or at least its political system I've ever and probably will ever see.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

It seems likely that nobody told him because he doesn't take criticism of Russia very well.

They'd already been hiding lots of Russia-related stuff from him so he wouldn't just hand that info over to Putin during their next phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    It seems likely that nobody told him because he doesn't take criticism of Russia very well.

They'd already been hiding lots of Russia-related stuff from him so he wouldn't just hand that info over to Putin during their next phone call.
    Funny you should mention that:
    Trump's resistance led intel agencies to brief him less and less on Russia

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/01/polit...sia/index.html

President Donald Trump's resistance to intelligence warnings about Russia led his national security team, including those who delivered the President's Daily Brief to brief him verbally less often on Russia-related threats to the US, multiple former Trump administration officials who briefed Trump, were present for briefings and who prepared documents for his intelligence briefings tell CNN.

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...7/01/day-1259/

Day 1259: "It's going to sort of just disappear, I hope."

• 😷 Dept. of “We Have It Totally Under Control.”

• Global: Total confirmed cases: ~10,578,000; deaths: ~513,000
    • U.S.: Total confirmed cases: ~2,659,000; deaths: ~128,000
    • Source: Johns Hopkins University

1/ The number of confirmed U.S. coronavirus deaths is “a substantial undercount” of the true tally, according to researchers at Yale University. Researchers found that the 781,000 total deaths in the U.S. from March 1 through May 30 were about 19% higher than what would normally be expected. And, the number of excess deaths from any cause were 28% higher than the official tally of U.S. COVID-19 deaths during those months. In 45 states, seven-day averages of new infections are higher than they were a week ago and more than 800,000 new cases were reported in the U.S. in June — led by Florida, Arizona, Texas and California. The World Health Organization, meanwhile, warned that some countries might have to reimplement lockdowns to curb the spread of the coronavirus. (CNBC / CNBC / Washington Post / New York Times)
    • The Federal Reserve raised concerns in June about a surge in coronavirus infections and how a second wave could disrupt the economic recovery, trigger a spike in unemployment, and prolong the recession. When this Fed meeting concluded on June 10, there were 20,456 new coronavirus cases in the United States. On Tuesday, the U.S. reported 44,474 new cases. (Washington Post)
    • U.S. companies added fewer jobs than expected in June. Businesses’ payrolls increased by 2.37 million in June, while economists predicted a 2.9 million rise. (Bloomberg)
    • The Treasury Department lent $700 million in coronavirus stimulus funds to a trucking company that warned in May it was in danger of going out of business. The Treasury – aka U.S. taxpayers – will take a 29.6% equity stake in the company, YRC Worldwide, whose stock had fell 27% this year and was worth $70 million. In 2018, the Justice Department sued YRC for allegedly overcharging the Pentagon millions of dollars for shipping. (CNN / Wall Street Journal / Washington Post)
    2/ Trump said he’s “all for masks” and would have “no problem” wearing one in public but thinks coronavirus will “disappear” someday. He then added: “At some point.” While coronavirus cases surge to all-time highs and states reverse reopening plans, Trump told Fox Business that “we are going to be very good with the coronavirus” because “it’s going to sort of just disappear, I hope.” Trump also said he thought he “looked OK” the one time he was seen wearing a face mask and that he thought he resembled the “Lone Ranger.” (CNN / Daily Beast / Associated Press / Washington Post)
    3/ The U.S. bought nearly the entire global stock of one of the drugs proven to work against COVID-19, leaving the rest of the world unable to purchase it for at least the next three months. Remdesivir, which has been shown to help people recover faster from COVID-19, is the first drug to be approved by the FDA to treat the disease. The Trump administration bought more than 500,000 doses of remdesivir, which is Gilead’s entire stock for July and 90% of the supply for August and September. (The Guardian)
    4/ Trump called reports that Russia offered bounties to Taliban fighters who kill American and coalition forces a “HOAX!” designed to “damage me and the Republican Party.” In a subsequent tweet, Trump repeated his claim that he was never briefed by intelligence officials about the bounty program “because any info that they may have had did not rise to that level.” White House officials, however, were first informed in early 2019 of intelligence reports that Russia was offering bounties to kill U.S. and coalition military personnel. Officials also provided Trump with a written briefing of the finding in late February. Trump has also repeatedly dismissed the credibility of the intelligence and White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany has acknowledged the existence of the intelligence, but said there was “no consensus” and that it hadn’t been completely “verified.” In an additional tweet, Trump claimed that “this is all a made up Fake News Media Hoax started to slander me & the Republican Party.” (The Hill / NPR / Washington Post)
    • Taliban commanders confirmed that Russia offered financial and material support in exchange for attacking U.S. forces in Afghanistan. Three sources confirmed the practice takes place and that Russian intelligence officials are known to pay. Iran and Pakistan reportedly also fund these activities. The spokesman for former Taliban leader Mullah Omar also said “The Taliban have been paid by Russian intelligence for attacks on U.S. forces—and on ISIS forces—in Afghanistan from 2014 up to the present.” (Business Insider / Daily Beast)
    5/ Senate Republicans forced the removal of a provision from the updated National Defense Authorization Act that would have required presidential campaigns to report offers of foreign election help. The Senate is debating the defense authorization legislation on the floor this week. (CNN)
    6/ Trump called New York City’s decision to paint “Black Lives Matter” on Fifth Avenue a “symbol of hate” that would “denigrate” the “luxury” street outside Trump Tower and “further antagonize” police. Trump’s tweets were directed at Mayor Bill de Blasio, who order the “Black Lives Matter” tribute be painted in large yellow letters. De Blasio responded to Trump’s tweets, calling them “the definition of racism.” (NPR / Politico / Axios / Washington Post)
    • The United Nations Human Rights Council debated launching a special investigation of racism in America after the killing of George Floyd. The 47-member council ultimate decided against a U.S.-focused probe and instead requested a report on anti-Black racism worldwide. That the Trump administration quit the council two years ago. (Politico)
    7/ Trump threatened to veto a must-pass defense spending bill if it includes an amendment requiring the Pentagon to rename military bases named after prominent Confederate figures. The amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act would change the name of 10 U.S. military bases and require the removal of Confederate likenesses, symbols, and paraphernalia from defense facilities across the country within three years. While most Republican senators said they had no problem with Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s amendment, Trump tweeted that he would veto it “if the Elizabeth ‘Pocahontas’ Warren (of all people!) Amendment, which will lead to the renaming (plus other bad things!) […] is in the Bill!” (Washington Post / Wall Street Journal / Politico)
    8/ A federal judge overturned the Trump administration’s 2019 policy that prohibited immigrants from claiming asylum in the U.S. if they didn’t attempt to first apply for asylum in a country they passed through on the way to the U.S. border. U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly ruled that the so-called “third-country asylum rule” violated the Immigration and Nationality Act, that the administration “unlawfully promulgated” the rule, failed to show it was in the public interest and didn’t abide by the Administrative Procedure Act when adopting the policy. The INA allows anyone who has made it to U.S. soil to apply for asylum, with some exceptions, and the APA requires that Americans be given enough time and opportunity to weigh in on certain rule changes. It’s the second time a lower court has concluded the rule is unlawful. Judge Kelly was appointed to the federal bench by Trump in 2017. (NBC News / Washington Post / Wall Street Journal / New York Times / CNN)
    9/ Trump’s reworking of the North American Free Trade Agreement went into effect today. Trump has touted the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement as “the best and most important trade deal ever made by the USA.” The deal, however, is not expected to significantly increase trade within the region. (Politico / New York Times)
    10/ Jared Kushner had the Trump reelection campaign’s chief operating officer “reassigned” in an effort to designate blame for the Tulsa rally. Michael Glassner will be replaced with Jeff DeWit, who held the same position in Trump’s 2016 campaign. DeWit will also oversee campaign rally operations. A campaign spokesman said that the change was “not a reaction” to what happened in Tulsa. (Axios / Wall Street Journal / Politico)
    • Trump’s re-election campaign has spent more than $325,000 in Facebook ads promoting the social media pages of his campaign manager, Brad Parscale. The Trump campaign said that it was testing the use of Parscale’s page to run ads from different accounts. (New York Times)
    11/ Trump recently told people that he regrets following some of Jared Kushner’s political advice and will instead stick closer to his own instincts moving forward. (Axios)
    poll/ 39% of voters approve of the job Trump is doing as president. 59% disapprove. (Politico)

Waldorf:

WELP.
    Complicating things since 2009.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information