+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 930: ''The Lead Performer! Queen the Plague Enters!''

Default 930: ''The Lead Performer! Queen the Plague Enters!''

Queen the Plague takes the knee before Corona the Pandemic. yes that is a card game

Title: ''The Lead Performer! Queen the Plague Enters!''
    Chapters Covered: 935
    Episode Director: Yusuke Suzuki (***)
    Animation Director: Masahiro Shimanuki (**) and Shuuichi Ito (***1/2)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece

It's good to be making one of these threads again. The last time was in what, March? Jesus Christ.

Last edited by Crossword; June 27th, 2020 at 08:53 PM.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 930: ''The Lead Performer! Queen the Plague Enters!''

One Piece Episode 931 Preview

*looks at thumbnail*

Are those Shinobu's...
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

It's a question that's haunted me ever since I first read that chapter. (I certainly hope they're knees)

Where's Tomita when you need him?!

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Checked out Queen's intro scene and I gotta say it was a lot of fun. Felt like I was watching an opening theme for a game show.

Spoiler:
    I don't know if the anime team will want to put the budget into it, but I'd absolutely love it if, during the Golden Kagura scene, they pull out all the stops and make a really intensive musical number on par with the opening of Film Gold.

Spoiler:

Great episode to come back with after the 2 months break. Queen's theme music during his arrival to the prison was catchy. Also Queen's song at the end of the episode was amazing.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

The irony of a character fond of biological weaponry's debut being halted due to a pandemic is immense.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    The irony of a character fond of biological weaponry's debut being halted due to a pandemic is immense.
    I was just saying this. His name is literally “the plague,” and his introduction was interrupted by a plague.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

But yeah, the episode was fine outside of the really great Queen introduction. I couldn’t tell: was that CGI modeling used for Queen’s dance in the wide shot?

Outside of that scene, nothing remarkable art or animation-wise, though to be fair the source material was pretty unremarkable too for this stuff.

And since this episode was done long before the covid animation production scheduling, I’ll hold out a month or two before I determine whether the break helped or hurt the quality of the episodes.
    Going broke while paying to fix your child's gigantism? M4A can help! Vote Bernie Sanders 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    I was just saying this. His name is literally “the plague,” and his introduction was interrupted by a plague.

But yeah, the episode was fine outside of the really great Queen introduction. I couldn’t tell: was that CGI modeling used for Queen’s dance in the wide shot?

Outside of that scene, nothing remarkable art or animation-wise, though to be fair the source material was pretty unremarkable too for this stuff.

And since this episode was done long before the covid animation production scheduling, I’ll hold out a month or two before I determine whether the break helped or hurt the quality of the episodes.
    Nah, Queen was just normally animated.

It was done digitally, but that just means it was drawn on tablets as opposed to paper.

The last 4 minutes were animated by Tu Yong Ce.

Outside of the dance, Luffy hitting Daifugo, and Luffy beating up some guards was nice enough. There was some jank, but I think they were actually more competently put together than your average action scene.

----
    This episode was directed by one of the weaker directors on the show, so I wasn't expecting anything great.

It definitely showed in how the pacing and music placement was generally handled(and I think there was an obvious inability to fully utilize the storyboard). For example, the storyboard is obviously building up Luffy kicking Daifugo by showing him approaching, but the director didn't effectively use OST to really build up to that moment effectively.

In saying that, the action involving Luffy this episode was quite well done. Although the fight with the guards and Daifugo had a little jank, I still thought it was rather nicely executed in terms of animation. Definitely above what you'd see from your average action sequence, so props to that.

The Queen dance was easily the highlight of the episode. The last four minutes of the episode were animated by Tu Yong Ce, and was apparently done entirely digitally. I think he did a good job delivering the character acting this episode, and I'm expecting him to grow more adept as he gets used to using solely tablets in his future work.

Overall, it was an OK episode, with some nice standout action sequences and moments, a bit let down by rather iffy direction.
    Last edited by JazzMazz; June 27th, 2020 at 08:14 PM.

I was hoping that they would expand Queen's dance intro out a bit like they did for the musical numbers during Whole Cake Island but what we got was still pretty excellent. Definitely a bit of jank and dragginess earlier in the episode but Queen's introduction made up for it as it should. Oh yeah, and that one crab Gifter who had the top of his head replaced with eyestalks was horrifying. That was certainly a detail you couldn't easily make out in the manga!

On a side note, I rewatched the first two movies today and going from their grainy and washed out color palette to the riot of color that's the current-day anime was quite a jolt!

All I wanted to see was Queen's dance for these last few months, glad it delivered

Man how long has it been since I have written one of these.

Queen's grand introduction was by far the highlight of the episode. Tu Yong-ce really delivered a very lively and bouncy dancing sequence which you don't often get to see in One Piece. He said it was his first time drawing on a digital animation tablet and it turned out awesome.

But despite Tu's best efforts on the Queen portion most of the episode was as I expected rather bland and uninteresting. Both the direction and the storyboard were imo quite weak and the content was mostly dry, especially when the episode doesn't cut to other plot lines which would've helped mitigating some of the more stretchy parts.

I'm pretty vocal about my overall distaste for Shimanuki, but I have to give him props for the very cool expressions he attempted during Luffy's short confrontation against all of the fodder guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Spoiler:
    I don't know if the anime team will want to put the budget into it, but I'd absolutely love it if, during the Golden Kagura scene, they pull out all the stops and make a really intensive musical number on par with the opening of Film Gold.
    Lol keep dreaming dude. Not to be mean or anything but we both know that's not gonna happen. A weekly long running anime episode cannot realistically achieve something like that and you will set yourself to disappointment everytime if you have such high expectations.
    Last edited by MythicalDragon; June 28th, 2020 at 03:08 AM.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    On a side note, I rewatched the first two movies today and going from their grainy and washed out color palette to the riot of color that's the current-day anime was quite a jolt!
    The first movie was traditionally animated using cels and the most common fansub (KF) used a poor quality raw as a source.
    Not sure why the second movie looks like that, though.

The episode dragged on a bit...too many still shots and close-ups of Queen looking bored when he arrived. Also saw a few instances of Luffy's mouth moving in the background, but no dialog being spoken. I guess he was sort of breathing heavily in the scene prior, but it looks more like mouth flaps were animated, and it was a bit jarring.

One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Finally, after 9 weeks, its back.

Queen's intro was great. His dancing was epic, and his reaction to the 3 things that have gone wrong was funny af

The episode was pretty dry until Queen showed up. Hopefully next week's is better.

That one reused shot of the girl with the bouncing boobs is oddly distracting. Of all things to add movement to...

Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post
    That one reused shot of the girl with the bouncing boobs is oddly distracting. Of all things to add movement to...
    That scene generally had a lot of movement in the crowd shots.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information