View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
240. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

100 41.67%
  • Shinobu

1 0.42%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.42%
  • Momo

8 3.33%
  • Tama

7 2.92%
  • Carrot

52 21.67%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 2.92%
  • Caribou

3 1.25%
  • Other

22 9.17%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

39 16.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 128 of 133 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 2645

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

The best thing about Yamato's design is that it looks really good... meaning that it's good-looking, not that it's incredible. Maybe it's genius too, I don't know... but Yamato as a whole is basically a combo of all the cool things in the world, including his appearance, which is made to be attractive and badass, so it's easy to understand why everybody loves his design.

What stands out to me the most is the hair shading, obviously, especially in color. That was a really cool idea, so credit to where credit's due. Besides the hair, I really like the clothing style, which is not unique, but I just like it. However, it's worth wondering how Yamato would look in another outfit considering how much his clothes are part of his visual identity... so would a change of outfit kinda devalue the quality of the design? Maybe. At last, the face tries hard to not be completely a Nami-face, which is fine, so I don't complain too much, but it's nothing special, a little disappointing.

Btw, Yamato does have a lot of great fanart which makes him look a lot more unique and cool than what Oda actually did...

Discovered Stowaway Dorobō Neko's Avatar

One thing that would help if they join? Wearing more yokai masks either fully on or on the side of her face.

Oh and just in general, an Oni theme character is great. It's super neat and does not overlap with Zoro or Jinbe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    So Yamato took the name Oden because I believe he belepieved someone from Oden’s bloodline needed to reopen the borders of Wano and assist with the Dawn of the World, whatever that may entail.

It also seems to be something both Momo’s parents believed is necessary, so much that they tried to keep both Momo and Hiyori alive in some capacity so one of them can live on. I don’t think it’s explicit, but their parents seem to be doing so based on them playing their role in the prophecy.

This also seems to be further confirmed by Yamato. After realizing Momo is alive and while protecting him this chapter, he says that Momo’s role is to assist with guiding the world to the Dawn.

In other words, it seemed like Yamato, believing Oden and his bloodline was dead, decided to take it upon himself to carry on Oden’s will and fulfill the role his bloodline was meant to fulfill. But now it seems he is recognizing Momo is the one that will need to step up and play that role. The question is what that role is.

We know one aspect of it is to open the borders of Wano. However, Yamato also expressed a desire to go out and see the world like Yamato did and travel the seas like Oden did. What was unclear was whether those desires played a part in fulfilling Oden’s will.

Short story long, if everything above lines up, does Momo playing his role in the prophecy mean having to go along adventures outside of Wano’s borders, maybe even having to reach Laugh Tale like his father did long ago to fill that role? And if that’s the case, does that mean he’s going to be a passenger on the crew to help get him there (with someone like Yamato and maybe someone else Yamato and/or someone else Momo might trust more intimately to be by his side along the voyage)?

I wouldn’t consider those people “crew mates”, but I could see them being honorary crew members or people like Johnny/Yosaku and arguably Law who sailed with the Straw Hats in a fun capacity for a short period of time while the crew carried on their adventures.

Am I looking too deeply into things?
    This is all confirmed in her real character introduction.
    Her wish to become Oden is a combination of inheriting his will and admiration for Oden´s character and the life he has led.

https://manga4life.com/read-online/O...apter-984.html

Having said that, Momo does not need to go to Raftel to learn the truth, because the whole world will learn it in one way (i remember Greg thinking that maybe CoO might play a huge role).
    And Oden was never treated as just a temporary companion, he was a full fledged member, why he joined was not the point.

Honestly, with each chapter, Yamato's face has become distinguishable and you can tell Oda is putting in the effort. I believe they're more distinguishable and will will continue to be as the arc gets closer to the end. So, with all the effort to push them in the front, I'm fully on board.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Best example would be Hancock i guess, whose abilities are all over the place. You can say her ability is turning stuff and people into stone by varying degrees, but then she has a ability like Love Kiss or whatever it is called that has no relation with stone. Then there are rules for some stone turning, but not others. I guess you could say her overall concept is love or infatuation. and the abilities loosely are connected to that, but i would not call that one principle.
    I'd say the principle is using emotions. Her own emotions as well as the emotions of others.
    If you feel love or lust towards her, she can use it to turn you into stone.
    On the other hand she can also use her pride to turn stuff into stone.
    Best examples would be her kicks, since it doesn't matter what she hits, it turns into stone. So that part can't be someone else emotions.

I don't know.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    This is all confirmed in her real character introduction.
    Her wish to become Oden is a combination of inheriting his will and admiration for Oden´s character and the life he has led.

https://manga4life.com/read-online/O...apter-984.html

Having said that, Momo does not need to go to Raftel to learn the truth, because the whole world will learn it in one way (i remember Greg thinking that maybe CoO might play a huge role).
    And Oden was never treated as just a temporary companion, he was a full fledged member, why he joined was not the point.
    but if he wanted to do those things to carry on Oden’s will, but now knows his flesh and blood exist to carry on Oden’s will, why wouldn’t he want/insist Momo take the steps he said he was gonna take during his introduction
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Love Yamato's reactions to Franky this chapter. Sense of wonder followed immediately by cooperative team building and order relaying.

Anyway, Reposting some of my earlier thoughts on Yamato from when he first showed up back in July.

TWO dramatic introductions, an actual backstory that will be relevant to the rest of the arc and create conflict and story points with the arc we're in, a connection to Ace, a unique weapon and fighting style, a quirk of a woman claiming to be a man? These are all actually unique things to the character. Child of an Emporer is unique to Kaidou, but BM has a million kids including Pudding, so its not that big a deal.

But the Oden worship is kind of like fifty other characters like all the scabbards. Dream seems very tied to the current location, and like they're just sort of here to help conveniently tie up some plot threads by coincidentally owning Oden's journal... and who knows what quick fix plot wraps ups that could provide later. Ace connection was already a thing with Jinbe, and Tama within the same arc also has it, so that's not much. "I knew Ace" is maybe becoming too much of a convenient shorthand for instant connection.

It was pointed out that she was in fact in Oden's flashback (or at least the pants were) so Oda conceivably had the character in mind a few months earlier than first mentioned, but that's hardly a "third sake cup shadow indicating Sabo" level of "Oda definitely was being sneaky here" situation. I'd feel more strongly if they were alluded to much earlier, similar to how Pudding was shown off years in advance.

Design wise, it seems like the horns are real (they were underneath the mask and multicolored) , she's very tall, she's got a little hair twirl at the top, and I think the hair fading from one color to the next is neat and fairly unique. Not unprecedented, Jinbe had the same thing going on when he was younger, and I feel like Ulti's hair stripes are a bit more unique I think. Oda put some thought into this design, but not a crazy ammount.

But oh man the Nami face is strong on this one. The eyes are different but... its very Nami. A stronger jawline or some cheekbones or something would make a difference, its definitely no Robin level of decisive facial distinctness.

So between the strong Nami face and the heavy Wano ties, I'm not riding this particular hype train, but its the most potential we've had in a character in a while. Devil fruit could obviously make a big difference. Strong secondary character to be sure, convenient to speed up the arc, not screaming nakama to me just yet.

If her main hair color ends up being white, purple, or red, that'll add some points though.
    White hair, purple tint, red horns...

So Yamato has a tragic past, explicitly wants to see the world and wanted to go out with Ace, self invited herself onto the crew, and has only stayed in place this long because of issues with her parent figure, who happens to be the arc boss?

This after having TWO really interesting introductions and getting more interaction with Luffy in a handful of pages than most characters get in a year?
    I'm conflicted. I've said for years that "Ods's NOT subtle about the next person when he brings them in" and that's definitely the case here, he's absolutely laying it on thick... if this was the first fifty chapters of the series it'd be a done deal. But I also always say he takes care with making the actual crew look unique, especially since Chopper. ANd that face is just soooo damn close.

Well, if when we see her in color her hair is red, purple, or white, or she gets something like a scar along the way, I'll get on board but that face is just too damn similar, even by Oda "all sexy ladies look like Nami" standards. That her hair has all that black in it is something, but it stops short of getting into closeups or just headshots so... not THAT helpful. (But I guess the horns cover that?) Like all the panels they're in the ceiling she doesn't look like Nami at all, and a couple of the closeups she looks pretty distinct... but others she doesn't.
    Oda has now covered that problem in the more recent chapters, along with making the eyes more unique.

Oh, and now he's going to have some kind of alt form. Tiger would be neat visually I guess but we already have an island full of animal transformation and all the minks have white alt forms, and orange tiger would look pretty typically Oni, as would say, getting red skin. Tiger visual might cement him as an arc character though just checking off the oni checklist, I dunno. What else could it be though? Another dragon would be weird since we already have Momo running around to provide dragon support and allow Luffy to get where he needs later, unless it turns out they ARE dragons that ate human shaped fruits. T-Rex would look too much like Drake all in all.

Maybe its something more like bone or teeth fruit or something.
    Last edited by Robby; November 22nd, 2020 at 03:05 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    but if he wanted to do those things to carry on Oden’s will, but now knows his flesh and blood exist to carry on Oden’s will, why wouldn’t he want/insist Momo take the steps he said he was gonna take during his introduction
    Two different things you are equating to one, at least seems like to me.
    One is definitely about Wa No only, meaning beating Kaidou and opening up the country. Like Yamato said, she took it upon herself to open up the country against her father since Momo and the Scabbards died, so become the new representative on that part. That is dead at this point, or rather since Momo and the Scabbards are alive, she is just another one to carry Oden´s will in that regard rather than be the only one, with Momo being in the central position.
    The second part of being Oden is about the adventure and being part of the crew to reach Raftel though, and Momo has not once shown any inclination towards that, unlike Yamato who literally demanded to board the ship. It´s not technically about inheriting Oden´s will but rather being Oden, wanting to be Oden that lived through those adventures. The thing that is missing right now for that angle is Yamato recognizing that Luffy is the one carrying Joy Boy´s will. I am pretty sure Oden wrote about that in his journal that Yamato read.

Third thing is the dawn that ties into everything. And from what everything that has been said so far, this is the best interpretation, correct me if i´m wrong:

- Luffy is carrying Joy Boy´s will (we basically learned that in Fishman Island already)
    - Momo is carrying Oden´s will, and also with that the Kozuki clan´s will
    - For the dawn to happen, Wa No needs to be open, so that Joy Boy equivalent will get to Wa No and can work with the Kozuki clan. The country was closed by the Kozuki clan to stay safe from the World Government, but now that the time is ready (for example with Poseidon´s birth), Wa No and Kozuki clan needs to prepare for JB´s equivalent
    - Momo, as last Kozuki basically, has to guide the world to the dawn, that´s what Yamato said in the latest chapter.

From all that, i gather that whatever Momo must do (i would argue something to do with Zou the least, probably more), is different from what Luffy as JB´s inheritor has to do.

To summarize briefly, whatever Momo as Kozuki inheritor has to do for the dawn has nothing to do with Yamato wanting to be Oden or be like Oden and travel with Luffy. The thing missing from that right now is Yamato recognizing that Luffy is not just a substitute for Ace (as Roger´s son, since Yamato as Oden wanted to travel with Ace and since he died, uses Luffy as substitute) but the essential guy as JB 2.0, besides the usual shenanigans of flashback and the like, though technically Jinbe did not have a pure personal flashback either, so Oda might scrap that at this point.

I see a lot of comments about Yamato overshadowing Carrot's ties to the dawn plot, and I wanted to chime in on that point a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I like how Carrot has never ever, not even by mistake mentioned the Dawn, but Yamato has.

This is crewmate stuff appropiation!, If the Dawn really is somehow the one dream of the last member, Yamato has shown interest in the thing by herself, let that sink in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    So.

Yamato is confirmed to have a more developed and informed version of Carrot's dream.

I'm not saying this makes Carrot's strawhat prospect obsolete but... I think it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    So I’m really having trouble buying the logic that Carrot is somehow needed to join the crew because of the dawn legacy that Pedro vaguely talked about, but Momo somehow isn’t even though Yamato literally states this chapter that he is 100% necessary For said prophecy

Seems like if you really believed that you'd totally be in for Momo joining now too
    The very fact that the dawn has been focused on so much and so recently, and yet Carrot still doesn't understand it like Pedro said she would, is incredibly conspicuous.

Carrot knows Pedro gave up his life for a reason, but she still doesn't seem to understand what that reason is. Pedro said she would, and that means she will. We'll see it happen, possibly during the fight with Peros or its aftermath. And that revelation may be what puts her on the course to being a permanent Straw Hat. Of course it might not, that's possible too. But saying that Yamato and/or Momo have some kind of lock on the whole dawn concept is ignoring what Pedro sacrificed himself for.

Bringing the dawn basically means saving the world. Yamato thinks Momo will, Pedro told Carrot he believes the Straw Hats will. I don't think it's an either/or thing; both of them will play key roles in that, and that doesn't require them to be doing the same things to achieve it.

I have my quibbles about Yamato, but I can certainly see the merit in the arguments for him. However, I do not see Momo as a Straw Hat candidate in the least, with or without Yamato by his side. I don't think the crew will have a trainee, period. If the candidate isn't ready to contribute on a working pirate ship, I'm not considering them.

I'm really sorry, but that point goes to Tama as well, though I'm glad she gets to help out here.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

I mean it continues to be technically possible for Carrot to join, but all the reasons for that continue to be conjectural (since Carrot has expressed neither the desire to join nor to see the dawn) while slowly having their canonicity taken over by other characters (since Yamato both wants to join the strawhats and see the dawn). Also meanwhile, Yamato gets named moves and transformations, while Carrot gets a team-up fight alongside Wanda against a minor antagonist.

It pushes Carrot's case more and more into headcanon territory. Technically possible sure, but with no proof that Oda even considered it as a possibility.

Now more panel time is necessary to explain why Yamato changes their mind, why Carrot decides to join, why Yamato decides the dawn thing doesn't require going to the sea while Carrot starts caring about it and decides to go to the sea for it. Also requires more interaction between Carrot and the strawhats, and for Yamato's interaction moments to stop overshadowing other characters. The list of requirements for Carrot to join is growing instead of shrinking.

I would think for the Tiger fruit to work, it would have some sort of mane/fluffy neck, long hannya like fangs that jut our or something, and horns. I think if Oda finds the balance, it would look visually stunning.
    Last edited by ArmamentHero; November 22nd, 2020 at 06:23 AM.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon D. Luffy View Post
    I mean it continues to be technically possible for Carrot to join, but all the reasons for that continue to be conjectural (since Carrot has expressed neither the desire to join nor to see the dawn) while slowly having their canonicity taken over by other characters (since Yamato both wants to join the strawhats and see the dawn). Also meanwhile, Yamato gets named moves and transformations, while Carrot gets a team-up fight alongside Wanda against a minor antagonist.

It pushes Carrot's case more and more into headcanon territory. Technically possible sure, but with no proof that Oda even considered it as a possibility.

Now more panel time is necessary to explain why Yamato changes their mind, why Carrot decides to join, why Yamato decides the dawn thing doesn't require going to the sea while Carrot starts caring about it and decides to go to the sea for it. Also requires more interaction between Carrot and the strawhats, and for Yamato's interaction moments to stop overshadowing other characters. The list of requirements for Carrot to join is growing instead of shrinking.
    The desire to bring the dawn was impressed upon Carrot by Pedro. He said she would understand why he had to die, why the Straw Hats had to live instead. That's not headcannon, it's foreshadowing. What I also believe, the part you may disagree with, is that there's a very good reason why she hasn't yet talked about the dawn in regards to herself.

Now, I recently noticed an interesting tweet from Joy Boy (the YouTuber): https://twitter.com/JoyBoyTheories/s...157583874?s=19

I was wondering before 995 whether Carrot would confront Big Mom as well as Peros, since she's just as responsible for Pedro's fate. When that didn't happen, I didn't think too much of it. But that tweet kind of turned the whole idea of needing to confront anyone on it's head for me.

Right now, Carrot is fighting in the name of Pedro, to take vengeance on his behalf. But that isn't what Pedro wanted. He didn't have those bombs ready simply to defeat Peros, Tamago, BM or any one enemy. He was only ever after the successful arrival of the dawn, and he wanted Carrot to understand that his survival would not necessarily make it come to be.

Pedro knew that the Straw Hats were the ones who needed to escape Tottoland. He said that Carrot would someday understand why. I think Carrot will start understanding during her fight with Peros that Pedro didn't die because of any one person, and that her revenge won't bring the dawn any closer, either.

I don't believe Oda made Carrot as present as she was, for nearly 200 chapters, to simply be a tool for revenge. I think he had her and Wanda face off with Peros here and now for a deeper reason, one intrinsically linked to the dawn Pedro sought.

What I believe Carrot will realize is this: she shouldn't be fighting to avenge Pedro. She should be fighting to help her friends the Straw Hats. That change in thinking is what will set her on the path to bringing the dawn Pedro gave his life for, alongside the Straw Hats.
    Last edited by Shift; November 22nd, 2020 at 06:44 AM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by ArmamentHero View Post
    I would think for the Tiger fruit to work, it would have some sort of mane/fluffy neck, long hannya like fangs that jut our or something, and horns. I think if Oda finds the balance, it would look visually stunning.
    Hey, if she turns into Rinpoo with horns, I am down.

I'm hard pressed to see Tiger being the way Oda goes with this though unless Yamato is just gonna be a basic Oni where its basically human but tiger patterns throughout. and call it a day. Hair is already white so it'd go good with red skin, but that gradiant will be weird. But as a white tiger? Too much like sulong. So I dunno what he's gonna do. Tiger seems like a rough jump to make and hard to distinguish from everything else going on in Wano.

Hidden:

I'm sure Oda would make red oni look cool, but kind of weird given that he just introduced ice oni zombies into the mix and Yamato hasn't really shown any fire stuff yet. But he's also maybe gotten the token oni stuff out of the way with Kiku? I don't know.

Got the horns and the club but there's gotta be some other element Oda's going to mix in to make it his own. If he does just turn into a red oni then I'm going to lean a lot stronger into just being a Wano character.

So hopefully there's a surprise. And its not a giraffe this time,

Also, Zoro is already a tiger.

Sure that was a marketing thing and has no bearing on Oda's choices and half the characters didnt match their previously established fursonas, but still.
    Last edited by Robby; November 22nd, 2020 at 07:09 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

That's a character I hadn't heard of in a long time! And now I'm hopeful.... lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    What I believe Carrot will realize is this: she shouldn't be fighting to avenge Pedro. She should be fighting to help her friends the Straw Hats. That change in thinking is what will set her on the path to bringing the dawn Pedro gave his life for, alongside the Straw Hats.
    It's already too late, she should have realized it sooner.
    As I said a couple of weeks ago, as soon as she got the opportunity to revenge Pedro, she took it and left the Strawhats, instead of staying and helping them.

Yamato is following Luffy's orders without question and does her best to help them, and Tama even put herself in danger to help Nami and Usopp...
    Carrot just messed up. Carrot doesn't help anyone but herself by defeating Perospero.

I'm sorry, but she disqualifies herself.

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    Yamato is following Luffy's orders without question and does her best to help them,
    Yamato who has only known Luffy for about two minutes and hasn't even seen him do anything yet aside from breaking those cuffs at that! Outside of maybe what Ace would have mentioned.

White tiger is one of the four guardians in East Asian mythology, White Tiger is guardian of the west while Azure Dragon (and who happens to be an azure dragon?) is the one of the east.
    if Yamato is some sort of white tiger, I could see Oda intending to have her replace Kaido as Wano new god-like protector as a sign of change.
    Both of these are speculations (being a white tiger and replacing Kaido ) but I'm keeping the theory in my mind,Oda is already playing with mythology in this arc.

So who would be Genbu , Suzaku and Koryu then?

Oda could also stay true to the Hannya theme as well which I'm okay with as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhenja View Post
    It's already too late, she should have realized it sooner.
    As I said a couple of weeks ago, as soon as she got the opportunity to revenge Pedro, she took it and left the Strawhats, instead of staying and helping them.

Yamato is following Luffy's orders without question and does her best to help them, and Tama even put herself in danger to help Nami and Usopp...
    Carrot just messed up. Carrot doesn't help anyone but herself by defeating Perospero.

I'm sorry, but she disqualifies herself.
    How do you realize something you don't know?

Besides, Luffy directly told Yamato to protect Momo and Shinobu because she was already with him at the time. This was before he regrouped with his crew.

She's not disqualified till she legit doesn't pursue the Straw Hats beyond this arc once she actually knows the significance behind the Straw Hats.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information