View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

90 41.67%
  • Shinobu

1 0.46%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.46%
  • Momo

7 3.24%
  • Tama

7 3.24%
  • Carrot

47 21.76%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

5 2.31%
  • Caribou

2 0.93%
  • Other

19 8.80%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

37 17.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

I'm still wishfully hoping the Yuki-Yuki (Snow) fruit is on the Tangerine tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I'm still wishfully hoping the Yuki-Yuki (Snow) fruit is on the Tangerine tree.
    Yu-ki doesn't fit the 2.9 pattern. Whoever said that was mistaken or lying.

Personally, I'm not really a big fan of the number theory.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Quote Originally Posted by fapfapfap View Post
    Yu-ki doesn't fit the 2.9 pattern. Whoever said that was mistaken or lying.
    Yuki is 9.2, so not exactly the 2.9 pattern that will add to 'San Ni Go' but like I said, I'm still wishful cuz it means Oda would be willing to kill Monet. Dead characters should be dead.

Also I'd like Sanji to juice the fruit and give it to every crewmember to drink at the same time. "Cheers!"

Reposting my thoughts on Yamato from the other thread.

TWO dramatic introductions, an actual backstory that will be relevant to the rest of the arc and create conflict and story points with the arc we're in, a connection to Ace, a unique weapon and fighting style, a quirk of a woman claiming to be a man? These are all actually unique things to the character. Child of an Emporer is unique to Kaidou, but BM has a million kids including Pudding, so its not that big a deal.

But the Oden worship is kind of like fifty other characters like all the scabbards. Dream seems very tied to the current location, and like they're just sort of here to help conveniently tie up some plot threads by coincidentally owning Oden's journal... and who knows what quick fix plot wraps ups that could provide later. Ace connection was already a thing with Jinbe, and Tama within the same arc also has it, so that's not much. "I knew Ace" is maybe becoming too much of a convenient shorthand for instant connection.

It was pointed out that she was in fact in Oden's flashback (or at least the pants were) so Oda conceivably had the character in mind a few months earlier than first mentioned, but that's hardly a "third sake cup shadow indicating Sabo" level of "Oda definitely was being sneaky here" situation. I'd feel more strongly if they were alluded to much earlier, similar to how Pudding was shown off years in advance.

Design wise, it seems like the horns are real (they were underneath the mask and multicolored) , she's very tall, she's got a little hair twirl at the top, and I think the hair fading from one color to the next is neat and fairly unique. Not unprecedented, Jinbe had the same thing going on when he was younger, and I feel like Ulti's hair stripes are a bit more unique I think. Oda put some thought into this design, but not a crazy ammount.

But oh man the Nami face is strong on this one. The eyes are different but... its very Nami. A stronger jawline or some cheekbones or something would make a difference, its definitely no Robin level of decisive facial distinctness.

So between the strong Nami face and the heavy Wano ties, I'm not riding this particular hype train, but its the most potential we've had in a character in a while. Devil fruit could obviously make a big difference. Strong secondary character to be sure, convenient to speed up the arc, not screaming nakama to me just yet.

If her main hair color ends up being white, purple, or red, that'll add some points though.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

I been watching several fan made colorings of Yamato and I can guarantee, Orange and Pink just worsen the Naminess on her.

I haven't seen white, but purple looks pretty neat on her.

If Yamato is to carry on Odens will, and Oden sailed with the Pirate King...

given Robins change in appearance over the years, the Nami face doesn’t wave too much of a red flag, and it’s not like we’re dealing with a Rebecca here. While Yamato is currently tied to the plot of Wano, there isn’t much keeping them there after everything is resolved. Kaidou isn’t needed, Wano will be under Luffys jurisdiction with Momo shogun.

It’s very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Again, no one besides Jinbe will join now, all others are just friends, companions and allies. But Jinbe is not the final Straw Hat, there's one more to go.

In the New World, we will get one nakama per saga (except the final one). This is Yonko Saga, Jinbe's saga. We started the New World with him, he returned in WCI, and now has officially joined in Wano. When the big celebration comes, he will be the only new nakama.

Next saga will be about the Revolutionaries, the Celestial Dragons and the WG. We will see several plot threads returning: Sabo and Vivi, Bonnie and Kuma, St. Mjosgard past, slavery, secrets of the Rocks, Vegapunk, the final Admiral and so on. Enemies will include CP0, the Celestial Dragons the SSG. Who will join there?

I have my bet, but talking about that now is pointless, as no one will agree. Sufice to say it's a long standing female character Luffy owes a great debt to. She hasn't appeared for a long time, but will suddenly have a big importance and nowhere to go.
    Are you talking about Boa?
    "This is a common misconception. The term "Monster Trio" is canon, not fanmade.
    It's been used quite a few times in the manga, most recently in chapter 606.
    Oda does use the term "怪物三人組 (Monster Trio)" in the very manga itself."

I'm still convinced that Carrot will join but since so many people have been tagging along with the Strawhats in the New World I can totally see Yamato traveling with them IF she really turns out to be an Oden Otaku and follow accompany the next pirate king to the end of his journey.

Still Carrot.

Yamato has to prove to be more than an Oden fangirl for me to take her seriously, because the only reason Oden went with Roger is because he could translate and transcribe Poneglyphs. Kinda what Robin does.
    Also, she stated her goal is to open Wano's borders and is only doing so because she believed the retainers of Oden had died. Gotta see more from her.

I don't see the Nami face on her. I'd never confuse the two

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    Are you talking about Boa?
    Yes, but discussing it now is pointless. If I’m anywhere near right, it will become clearer once Wano ends.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Yuki is 9.2, so not exactly the 2.9 pattern that will add to 'San Ni Go' but like I said, I'm still wishful cuz it means Oda would be willing to kill Monet. Dead characters should be dead.
    How does yu-ki read as 9-2? Even after looking at really obscure possible readings on goroawase compilation sites I've never seen yu/ki being spun as 9/2
    Not even Naruto resorted to time travel

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It was pointed out that she was in fact in Oden's flashback (or at least the pants were) so Oda conceivably had the character in mind a few months earlier than first mentioned, but that's hardly a "third sake cup shadow indicating Sabo" level of "Oda definitely was being sneaky here" situation. I'd feel more strongly if they were alluded to much earlier, similar to how Pudding was shown off years in advance.
    That's actually the best argument AGAINST Yamato joining. Assuming Oda intended her to be Strawhat material, shouldn't there be at least some kind of interaction with her in the Oden flashback? Or, if anything, shouldn't she at least have some kind of presence - aside from "this random background character actually was Yamato all along"? Especially considering her status as Oden fanboy. Sure, we only had two real chapters with her and, of course, the very next chapter might already turn the tides, but right now, it seems as her obsession lacks any real substance.
    Forum user Bartholemew Bear passed away in a very moving and touching way. I, ARTEMlS, therefore carry on the Will of DArth for good unto its final fulfilment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurloz View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority but I'm seeing all these people on different forums saying Yamato "inherited" Oden's will in the same vein as Luffy/Ace, Chopper/Hiluluk, Franky/Tom. etc. I think that does a disservice to the latter relationships since, as far as we can tell Yamato just thought Oden was cool and never even interacted with the guy. When compared to every other relationship crewmembers have with their respective family/mentor figures it's incredibly shallow. It's like saying pre-Dressrosa Barto had "inherited Luffy's will"
    Imo this makes the character even more interesting, it's a type of mentor-pupil relationship we haven't seen yet, and I want to see it being developed.

What is interesting is that Yamato does have their father, who is a famous pirate and someone they might easily want to look up to, but they didn't. I'm dieing to see the flashback of that.

The closest thing we have to it is Sanji's past, who also refused to be shaped by his family and went to find a mentor elsewhere.
    Last edited by Dragon D. Luffy; July 6th, 2020 at 06:29 AM.

If she was the character with the pants in the Oden flashback. She at least should be mid 30 as that character hasn't looked like a child

But I would guess she is max 25 or so
    "This is a common misconception. The term "Monster Trio" is canon, not fanmade.
    It's been used quite a few times in the manga, most recently in chapter 606.
    Oda does use the term "怪物三人組 (Monster Trio)" in the very manga itself."

Half-ogres age differently

I also think Yamato's face is different enough to tell him easily apart from Nami, at least it's not another Rebecca case.

Spoiler:

He also passed the "Where's Waldo?" test in the spoiler thread, so there's that!

Spoiler:

As for the new poll, the honest (but boring!) answer would be "other" or "none", so I'm picking a Supernova instead. Specifically Bonney. Law seems also like a good pick, considering that he's basically a member already. Like Vegeta. Who is a Z fighter. But not really. But sometimes. Find out in the next volume!

If we only had Jinbe's welcome party earlier. I'm sure Oda will make it clear when the crew is complete.

Idk what to think of Yamato. On paper she's pretty unique and could be a straw hat material but while her admiration of Oden could be a good argument in favor of her joining (since Oden joined the crew of the previous pirate king) I find her connection with him really shallow, never interacted with him. Just a guy she thought was really coo, not much different than Bartolomeo with Luffy tbh and he's considered to be a gag character. When you compare it to the relationships of other straw hats with their mentors, the difference is striking. And I wish her face was more original, she's basically Nami with thicker eyebrows. Gotta wait to see more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurloz View Post
    How does yu-ki read as 9-2? Even after looking at really obscure possible readings on goroawase compilation sites I've never seen yu/ki being spun as 9/2
    I am no expert, I jist follow whats been said in the community and run with it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sleepin...mi-theory/amp/

"It is important to know that 2 can be written as: Yu, Ni and Fu and 9 can be written as Ku, Ki and Kyu."

Can anyone else confirm this?

- looks Like further digging turned up false results for this theory. Duly noted, this doesn't fit the 2-9 theory whatsoever.
    Last edited by Triceron; July 6th, 2020 at 08:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information