+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eiichiro Oda will take two weeks break due to sudden illness (Resume on Oct 16th)

Default Re: Eiichiro Oda will take two weeks break due to sadden illness (Resume on Oct 16th)

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Are u from the U.S. by any chance(?), I heard a lot about them not being well aware of how humanly other companies in the world treat their employees.
    I think JB is Greek. If my mental forum trivia folder is up to date

Default Re: Eiichiro Oda will take two weeks break due to sadden illness (Resume on Oct 16th)

Unfortunate news. I hope Oda stays safe and spends whatever amount of time he needs recovering. I know it must be tempting try to continue working when he can, but he shouldn't try to push himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    What I was trying to say when I'm talking about page structure
    Do they have a blank page in there? I don't actually have any japanese jumps to look at, so I wouldn't know. That's news to me, but that makes sense. I'd always just assumed there'd be an ad or something on the flip.

Otherwise I'd assume that since the chapters read right to left, rather than left to right, then the first page being a splash or a spread doesn't affect anything at all, the magazine just accounts for it. How it works in the trade volumes at least. (And why there are SBS pages in the first place, to accommodate for pacing gaps.)

Slotting in a page 0, basically. (Or if it helps, the story usually starts on page 2, not page 1.) But if there's usually a blank page then I dunno. SHould be easy for Oda to account for in the Name phase of things unless something went really screwy.
    Last edited by Robby; September 30th, 2020 at 08:35 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gia Sado View Post
    Bruh, its not a "2 week break". He is missing 2 rounds of publishing deadlines. He's not chilling for 14 days doing nothing. He probably got sick for a week, especially in a way where he missed the first deadline, then was recovering beyond the 2nd deadline. He is very likely back at work finishing up 992, editing 993 and doing the storyboards for 994 already. This TAKES TIME to do and play catchup.

Being sick with the flu or anything like it could have you out for weeks. Have you actually ever been sick lol?
    This logic comment is too hard for some people to understand. Amazingly described.

You get sick on Thursday.

Book is due on Friday. So you miss that deadline.

You're still sick all weekend, and you can sort of work on Monday, but you feel like crap and can only work partly.

You don't hit your normal pace, and instead of having your rough draft ready on Tuesday like you should, it's not ready until Thursday. You don't have time to do a final product.

Suddenly, being sick for only three days causes you to miss two weeks of deadlines. ANd that's an easy light flu. Anything that knocks you out for longer would absolutely wreck two weeks of deadlines no matter what day you got ill..

Oda would have to get sick at the start of a work week for it to not mess up two issues. And that's a theoretical best case scenario where he already had most of the work done one week before getting sick.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    Oda doesn't need to apologize for anything. If he's ill, he needs to take care of himself. His well being is the most important thing for us all.
    I think you misunderstood the sense of the way he will apologize. Thats Japan work ethic. He is not apologizing with the tone "sorry i commited a crime" he will just say he is sorry for the disservice he did to the readers. By the way i have to say that i find the rethoric "we only care about Oda's health" (like he was a family member or a friend) a little hypocrite. Oda knows what to do with his life,if he wanted to end the manga and living a healthier lifestyle,he could anytime he wants,Shueisha wouldnt stop him i think (they just want it to be comunicated around a year in advance) but as long as he wants to continue with the manga,its his choice and we cant be angry with the fans who just wants to read the manga

Quote Originally Posted by NamiRobinFrankyAce View Post
    I think you misunderstood the sense of the way he will apologize. Thats Japan work ethic. He is not apologizing with the tone "sorry i commited a crime" he will just say he is sorry for the disservice he did to the readers. By the way i have to say that i find the rethoric "we only care about Oda's health" (like he was a family member or a friend) a little hypocrite. Oda knows what to do with his life,if he wanted to end the manga and living a healthier lifestyle,he could anytime he wants,Jumps wouldnt stop him i think (they just want it to be comunicated around a year in advance) but as long as he wants to continue with the manga,its his choice and we cant be angry with the fans who just wants to read the manga

Exactly. And I believe that a vast Majority only cares about Oda's health, because they do want him to end the Manga.

Not only because they care sincerly for Oda from the bottom of their heart and mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Do they have a blank page in there? I don't actually have any japanese jumps to look at, so I wouldn't know. That's news to me, but that makes sense. I'd always just assumed there'd be an ad or something on the flip.

Otherwise I'd assume that since the chapters read right to left, rather than left to right, then the first page being a splash or a spread doesn't affect anything at all, the magazine just accounts for it. How it works in the trade volumes at least. (And why there are SBS pages in the first place, to accommodate for pacing gaps.)

Slotting in a page 0, basically. (Or if it helps, the story usually starts on page 2, not page 1.) But if there's usually a blank page then I dunno. SHould be easy for Oda to account for in the Name phase of things unless something went really screwy.
    I actually do have a Japanese JUMP on hand so I went to check. Your instinct is right. There are ads where that blank page after the colour spread would be.
    It doesn't even go immediately into the chapter after that. There are a few pages worth of ads between the colour spread and the actual start of the chapter.
    FC(3DS) - 2724-4238-5489 (LZTan)
    FC(Switch) - SW-3434-4042-7728 (Jin)
    Bond en Avant practices drawing in general

I draw a silly comic about school and life.

Whatever is ailing Oda I hope he can and will take this time - and more if he needs it - to properly rest. A crazy stressful work schedule is bad for your health in any case, but especially if you throw another illness on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Some days I wish that Oda take a year or two of hiatus so that he can travel the world and be refreshed.
    Given how many years of rich and well-planned story the has given us so far I'd be more than happy to let Oda treasure a year to recharge his batteries. Better he do that then work himself into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchInformer View Post
    JP Provider confirmed that One Piece on break for 2 Weeks, and Resume on Oct 16th with Issue #46

One Piece will be lead cover in Issue #46 of WSJ, and Chapter 992 will feature Color Spread !

There is apology for this sadden Break with reason in WSJ #44.
    Scotch, did you really mean to write “sadden” or “sudden”?

Nature of the Universe right here.
    "I'm gonna make a plan, chapter 1000 by the end of the year!"
    Universe: "Yeah go ahead and throw a wrench in that boys, activate the illness debuff."

- Yours with love, The World's Strongest Creature
    Next prediction: "Enies" has more to it than meets the eye
    My proudest prediction: Predicted Imu before he showed up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7BkabF31ak

Quote Originally Posted by All Fiction View Post
    Scotch, did you really mean to write “sadden” or “sudden”?
    My bad I mean "Sudden".

Default Re: Eiichiro Oda will take two weeks break due to sudden illness (Resume on Oct 16th)

Get well soon, Oda! I'd be down for like a 6 month break for Oda or even longer. But, what if he loses interest in One Piece? What would you do if that happened and OP was never the same again ?
    One Piece ,\/,,

Default Re: Eiichiro Oda will take two weeks break due to sudden illness (Resume on Oct 16th)

I remember back in 2006, there was a news Oda had fallen ill, shocking the fanbase. Here it is likely his health is finally taking toll after years of bad eating habits, little sleep and too much work with him nearing his 50's. At this rate he really should lessen up and let his assistants do the work if he wants to finish the comic.
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

A blank page is how it comes up in the translated digital releases and most of the raws that come out, but yeah, there'd be ads on it in the magazine release. The ones opposite normal covers get SBS and fanart pages in the volumes, while the ones after colour spreads generally stay mostly blank in the volumes, with just a little One Piece logo or sometimes a Pandaman highlight in the bottom right. I say "blank page" because the stuff on it (at least before the volume release) is disposable and replaceable and doesn't really ever make it out of Japan anyway.

You're right it would definitely depend at what stage of the storyboard/art process Oda was on when this came up if it was any trouble to change or (if unplanned) will have any noticeable effect on the page layouts like the chapter 829 outlier. I'm also aware that this doesn't really matter at all and is about the most idle speculation possible, but hey, what else is there to do for two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by NamiRobinFrankyAce View Post
    I think you misunderstood the sense of the way he will apologize. Thats Japan work ethic. He is not apologizing with the tone "sorry i commited a crime" he will just say he is sorry for the disservice he did to the readers. By the way i have to say that i find the rethoric "we only care about Oda's health" (like he was a family member or a friend) a little hypocrite. Oda knows what to do with his life,if he wanted to end the manga and living a healthier lifestyle,he could anytime he wants,Shueisha wouldnt stop him i think (they just want it to be comunicated around a year in advance) but as long as he wants to continue with the manga,its his choice and we cant be angry with the fans who just wants to read the manga
    We can definitely look down on all the but what about my enjoyment people.

Unfortunate news, I know it's probably nothing major but I can't help but worry about him. As for the chapter 1000 thing, I'm pretty sure it would still be *technically possible* but he could only take like one more break at most, which just isnt realistic.
    The real arlong park was the friends we made along the way

Please rest well and get better Oda-sensei.

You don't even have to get seriously ill to be knocked out of commission for a week. Just a few weeks ago I had a minor case of food poisoning or some other foodborne illness and while I felt actively "sick" for only like 1.5 days I was out of work for almost the entire week because I had 0% appetite for the duration and was too drained and weak to be able to handle the rigors of my job once I was actually on-site. And I'm fifteen years younger than Oda without a history of smoking. It's not hard to imagine whatsoever. It's a shame about potentially missing the big one-hundred-oh but the author's well-being should always come first, no exceptions.

(and 2020 doesn't deserve such a milestone anyway...)
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information