+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,000: Straw Hat Luffy

Default Re: Chapter 1,000: Straw Hat Luffy

Quote Originally Posted by Galleon Panthera View Post
    Great chapter! I read the scans at first, but its nice to re-read again in HQ. I couldn't spot much difference in terms of dialogue, but the ending was super with Luffy's Red Roc attack. Funny how the kanji for this attack is said to be "Hellfire Fist Pistol". What is the reasoning for not going with the actual translation? Overall, great chapter!
    Because the Kanji is accompanied by the reading "Red Roc". It is using the actual translation. It's just that providing alternate readings to rare/made up(not really made up but dunno what to call the act of throwing Kanji together into a mix without conventional reading) Kanji combinations doesn't really translate over to English.

The green marked boxes read Red Roc.
    Spoiler:

Great chapter! I read the scans at first, but its nice to re-read again in HQ. I couldn't spot much difference in terms of dialogue, but the ending was super with Luffy's Red Roc attack. Funny how the kanji for this attack is said to be "Hellfire Fist Pistol". What is the reasoning for not going with the actual translation? Overall, great chapter!
    Most One Piece moves have a main name in katakana/hiragana and an alternative name in kanji, since most Japanese children are not yet used to all the different alphabets (they have to learn multiple)

Because Red Roc is the evolution of Red Hawk.

Roc is a legendary bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    This whole "dream of Luffy" thing should make people realize that the last villain might not be Teach
    That depends on what Teach dreams of and I believe when everything are revealed we will find his being exact opposite of Luffy.
    Imu may be a dark horse but I still believe Oda will keep it 'sensible' enough.
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

Man 1000 chapters. What a milestone. Congrats Oda.

The standout panel of the pirates of the new generation facing off against the two Emperors legit gave me goosebumps.

Lit the Fire of Shandora! will-of-R's Avatar

Haven’t read the 1000th chapter yet due to a promise hasn’t fulfilled yet.
    But... reading Shokugeki no Sanji nonetheless and it is beyond expectation. So much better than the first chapter back in 2018.
    There is a real story going here, and Sanji, holding Wado Ichimonji part is just so WAW.

Zoro here, being a real brother so much more than the Vinsmokes.

What a great chapter! What a time to be a One Piece fan!

What irks me: Are we to assume that this chapter did not tell us, what words Luffy and Roger have in common?
    It kinda felt as if Luffy's claim to surpass everyone else and become pirate king WAS those words. Which would not be that exciting to us readers, is it?

Again even back in the Luffy flashback it was never "becoming pirate king" or "becoming the freest person in the sea" otherwise framing it as a mystery would serve no point. This is nothing new the chapter only reaffirmed this to us and reminded us of this plotpoint.
    Even if you weren't convinced somehow by that logic Ace saying "at the END of my little brother's dream" should really settle this until the reveal.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Pretty awesome chapter. A natural culmination of plotlines that have been built up for almost 9 years...unleashed through a powerful punch and the most notable time Luffy's declared his dream. As much as I love learning new factoids and revelations about the One Piece world and the powers within it, this chapter wasn't the time to cram those in, and I'm glad Oda stuck to his guns.

If I had to critique one thing, it's that I wish the Supernova/Emperor standoff was given a single massive panel spread, although the way it's drawn here at least allows the characters (except Law) to be drawn in more detail.

The new Shokugeki no Sanji was also pretty good. If Oda could draw Sanji cooking the way Saeki does Whole Cake Island would have been 10 times better.

I started reading OP weekly shortly after Chap. 700, while 1000 was closer than it would be in other mangas it still felt like a pipe dream, feels surreal that it's happening now.

Spoiler:

Well, it's been 1000 chapters.

I think what impresses me most about this series is that it has kept my attention for this long.

I think the first 600 chapters in themselves make almost a perfect complete package in itself for what it is trying to do.

The story has been much more shakier post-timeskip and there have been on and off periods for me following it.

I'm not keeping up with the anime anymore, either.

But literally no other story has kept my attention for this long. I usually grow to dislike long-running series, but I don't think I truly hate any part of the series this far in and to do that for a 1000 chapters is impressive.

As for the chapter itself, I thought it was okay. It's basically reiterating Luffy's dream, but doing it on the most basic level. I don't dislike it, but I don't particularly love it, either.

Fantastic chapter and milestone. No big reveal or anything, just straight up focusing on our favorite protagonist, I love it for how straightforward it is. It's what makes the most sense in hindsight.

Just to reaffirm my rep as a salty hater i have to say that i have next to no interest in what Luffy said at this point. I'm far too tired of him dangling it front of us for decades on end. Just get on with it already

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Because the Kanji is accompanied by the reading "Red Roc". It is using the actual translation. It's just that providing alternate readings to rare/made up(not really made up but dunno what to call the act of throwing Kanji together into a mix without conventional reading) Kanji combinations doesn't really translate over to English.

The green marked boxes read Red Roc.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    Most One Piece moves have a main name in katakana/hiragana and an alternative name in kanji, since most Japanese children are not yet used to all the different alphabets (they have to learn multiple)
    Ah okay. Thanks for the replies people. I get it now!

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    Because Red Roc is the evolution of Red Hawk.

Roc is a legendary bird.
    Yeah, that I get and it really fits. I was just confused on how the kanji says "Hellfire Fist Pistol" but gets translated as Red Roc, but DarthAsthma already cleared up the confusion.

Strawhat luffy starts off the big bout. This is gonna be epic

Nothing really special for this landmark chapter. Seems like any normal chapter. I'm honestly still surprised that Orochi hasn't done anything since being decapitated. He might actually be dead. Or maybe he's just waiting until Luffy beats Kaido and Big Mom.

Speaking of necks, Queen's is also mechanical.

Just like that dude from Masters of Universe.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Nothing really special for this landmark chapter. Seems like any normal chapter. I'm honestly still surprised that Orochi hasn't done anything since being decapitated. He might actually be dead. Or maybe he's just waiting until Luffy beats Kaido and Big Mom.
    IMO, Fukurokuju is the key. If we see Fukurokuju doing whatever he's doing and it's not reviving Orochi, then Orochi is dead.

Personally? I want Orochi to be dead, and Fukurokujo went to save the more interesting Kurozumi, Kanjuro.
    No, I'm not back. I never left. It's just that it has been a long time since I had something to say.

I think he is dead. The fame of the strawhats is going to transcend...even chopper bounty increase or not as the famed doctor not just foiling queen but keeping the fatalities down in this war...i don't expect a high fatality count at all thank to Dr. Chopper

You know, Oda teasing what Luffy said it years ago reminds me of Moro's third wish in DBS.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information