+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,000: Straw Hat Luffy

Default Re: Chapter 1,000: Straw Hat Luffy

Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    Don't know if it's been said already but could Big Moms shocked face on the last page not be because of the punch Luffy delivered on Kaido but because the silhoutte of Luffy holding his hat reminds her of Roger? I mean the time Rox was still a thing was long before Shanks was with the crew so technically Roger should still have been the owner of the strawhat back when they were a rival crew to the Roger pirates. Anyways, just a thought.
    Yes, i think thatīs the intended implication. Shanks was not born yet when Roger and Garp beath the Rocks crew.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    This whole thing so weird cause power scalers or not some of this stuff so easy to see.
    The good guys will get there time and then the bad guys etc etc
    Same thing will happen again , so it weird to see some people can't see it when it happens in so many forms of fiction not even shonen only .
    I mean the thing that I find with powerscalers they create their own reality and stick to it and then are really smug on insisting on their perceived read on character strength and then call foul/plotholes whatever when the story goes against that.
    Personal experience bias and all but I just don't feel the same kind of smugness from people defending their new crewmate. It's all just so odd because some person xyz getting a single punch/hit in can trigger a real weird tantrum.
    Or like here people just simply not having the big picture in mind at all or the patience to see something go through fully first.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Yes, i think thatīs the intended implication. Shanks was not born yet when Roger and Garp beath the Rocks crew.
    In the flash back he had on his pirate hat but maybe she saw him with it before that i guess.
    TLG , FFVIIR and Shenmue 3 2015 the E3 of dreams .

I'm very happy with this 1000th chapter. There is no big revelation but we have the start of a very hyping moment : Luffy about to reach the top of One Piece world.
    The scene where he just ignores the 2 emporors to care about his friends is so touching and smart. Then a big slap on the face to Kaido to say I'm not the one you oneshot 2 weeks ago :-)

The flashback scene which reminds us that Luffy has a very specific dream that we don't know about is also a nice touch for the round chapter. For me, it decreases the chance of Yamato becoming a crew member. It would feel really strange to have a know-it-all character be part of the crew.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    I mean the thing that I find with powerscalers they create their own reality and stick to it and then are really smug on insisting on their perceived read on character strength and then call foul/plotholes whatever when the story goes against that.
    Personal experience bias and all but I just don't feel the same kind of smugness from people defending their new crewmate. It's all just so odd because some person xyz getting a single punch/hit in can trigger a real weird tantrum.
    Or like here people just simply not having the big picture in mind at all or the patience to see something go through fully first.
    It's infinitely weird to see people actively rooting for the villains, like they don't realize that the entire reason for the presence of Kaido and BM is for Luffy and co to beat them. Talk about setting yourself up for disappointment!

Powerscaling has to be the most joyless way to watch anything, imagine reading 1000 chapters just to fill in your little datasheets and find "L's" for imaginary characters and losing your shit when things contradict your expectations (which no shit, Oda's entire job is to swerve your expectations when it comes to shonen fighting)..

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    In the flash back he had on his pirate hat but maybe she saw him with it before that i guess.
    Thanks for confirming that. I don't have the image before me now so I don't remember what hat Roger was wearing then. But still this was specifically the God Valley incident. If they were rivals the Rox crew should have met them several times. Perhaps he had the hat back then. But anyways I might be off. Just somehow this shocked face struck me that way.^^

That was pretty nice. Like others, I appreciated Luffy walking over to Kin'emon to check on him.

So this is really it, huh? Kaido is going down here. I admit, it was obvious for a while now that it would have to happen in this arc but it's only just been solidified for me by a powerful punch to the face. Cool. Big Mom is still a wild card, mostly because of her ties to Elbaf. But I don't really feel like having her tag along for yet another island after all this.

And while I'm looking forward to the matchups, I'm a little worried that whatever the other strawhats will end up doing in their fights will just pale in comparison to the Yonkou battle on top. What does it matter if Sanji beats/disables Black Maria? She's not really a threat to the people who are taking on Kaido, you know? Same for everybody else. Or that's what it feels like at least. I hope Oda gives us something similar to the Enies Lobby keys that made the individual fights have some meaning behind them. Have the bad guys trying to self-destruct the island, I don't know. :P
    Just something fun I made during the latest Survivor playing as Monji:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Huschel View Post
    And while I'm looking forward to the matchups, I'm a little worried that whatever the other strawhats will end up doing in their fights will just pale in comparison to the Yonkou battle on top. What does it matter if Sanji beats/disables Black Maria? She's not really a threat to the people who are taking on Kaido, you know? Same for everybody else. Or that's what it feels like at least. I hope Oda gives us something similar to the Enies Lobby keys that made the individual fights have some meaning behind them. Have the bad guys trying to self-destruct the island, I don't know. :P
    Kaido implied that the floating island would kill wano people when it lands in the capital. The other strawhats can prevent it to happen

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post

I wonder if this 5 v 2 is our final match up or if others will show. It feels pretty final. We got Law for Support. Killer and Zoro for slashing. Luffy and and Kidd for big punching.
    Considering how much you need for a single yonkou(based on marineford), there is no way that these 5 are enough for two yonkous, with guys like kamazo among them. Marco said that they should be up there to brook and robin, not just zoro, and brook is the only one that can deal with bm's soul powers.

Wb needed all admirals, all BB pirates and shitloads of marines wounding him and heart problem to fall, but kamazo is enough for two and zoro that is similar level to ''can't get my weapon out of zoro's wound''.

And Toki talked about 9 shadows that will bring the dawn.
    Last edited by uniaka ikuzakas; January 4th, 2021 at 06:48 AM.

Chapter was everything I hoped for and more, I'm not gonna lie I was not composed at all when reading this. I actually did mostly predict this chapter... lol. So that's another big reveal I've gotten right. Post is available on another forum.

Anyway. I find this chapter hugely symbolic in a glorious way.
    The New Generation taking over, or at least stepping up to do so, is something I've been waiting for for a long time in this series. A loooong time. It's been hinted, it's been foreshadowed that the new generation would take over the old, but this is the big MOMENT where it really starts to become very apparent that it's happening right now. The Supernovas + Straw Hats (Luffy, Zoro) standing against Kaido and Big Mom is a moment many have been waiting for with bated breath, and we finally got it and it's just awe-inspiring.

What had me really going crazy though was Luffy ALREADY making Kaido bleed. And him walking past 2 Yonkou giving them the cold shoulder was just full body chills. It really felt like I'm watching the new Pirate King in action -- more accurately, the man who is going to surpass the Pirate King.

All of that was already top-tier media, but to bring up Luffy's secret motive again really pushed this chapter over the top. I really appreciate that Oda did that, not everyone acknowledged it was a thing (in fact over 80% I'd guess thought he just said "LOL I'LL BE THE PIRATE KING") and it'll make Monkey King happy since he made a whole thread about it too. It was a thing. If something looks suspect in One Piece, it probably is, is the lesson to take away here. We should've realized long ago that Ace basically says he wants to be the Pirate King in that scene anyway, and didn't get bizarre looks for it.

Congratulations to the fans and Oda for living long enough to make it to 1000, especially through a super brutal year. And congrats to the insane amount of accolades this chapter is getting on Reddit, the chapter thread alone literally made Reddit history. Utterly insane. Oda managed to live up to the hype of 1000, a task I would entrust to basically no other author.

Next prediction: "Enies" has more to it than meets the eye
    My proudest prediction: Predicted Imu before he showed up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7BkabF31ak

I really wish I gave a shit about Kidd and Killer

And even if I did, I'd still find it odd that they get to be front and center of the big Face Off Spread after having such neglible presence in the arc. You can even say that about Law, despite him being the one to start pushing us down the Kaidou railroad tracks years ago. 'S weird.

Probably exarcerbating this feeling is that this chapter is directly referencing chapter 100 with its spread yet has the actual Straw Hat crew nowhere to be found in the chapter sans Zoro - plus the slightly underwhelming nature of Luffys big Kaidou-punch moment - , and this can't help but feel a bit...deflating. Like, I like the idea of the content in the chapter, but execution wise its a bit flat.
    The last moment in particular, while it does what it needs to do, is schooled in every way by the elaborate ramp ups to Luffy punching Croc and Enel, but with how detached Kaidou has been from the misery of Wano, it can't be helped, I suppose. The flashback panel montage is a way of distilling said ramp up before the big punch, but even on that note it doesn't feel as emotional as it could've been- like, why include a panel of Kinemon just saying they came from the past, or the one of Hyogoro being contemplative? Does Luffy even know of Yasuie?
    Surely more resonant moments could've been found, like with Tama for instance, or of Kaiodu being mean and saying mean villain things (nothing of those readily come to mind, but there must've been something)?

While Luffy decking an emperor is a big moment to be sure, it's a bit undermined by the fact that we've just seen an extended round of other characters getting hits in on Kaidou, and well, I just don't get the big "Yessss take that you evil bastard, so satisfying that the evil bastard got punched" feeling. Like, its a power-feat, but I don't care enough about Kaidou as a villain for it to be emotionally cathartic in the same way Enel or Croc, or even St. Charloss getting decked were.

I liked that Oda didn't break the flow of the story for the sake of a big reveal; the Ace flashback is pushing it a bit, but the progression still feels mostly natural.

No but seriously, can someone make sense of why Kidd and Killer get to be front and center of that particular spread, I just don't get it
    Last edited by Daz; January 4th, 2021 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post

No but seriously, can someone make sense of why Kidd and Killer get to be front and center of that particular spread, I just don't get it
    https://youtu.be/_0HR0YVm4YY?t=224 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spinx View Post
    This is a chapter called straw hat Luffy which mainly concerns Straw hat Luffy, why on earth is he way off in the middle ground in the big Emperor-Supernova face-off spread. The eye is naturally drawn to the biggest most detailed character because the fact that they're the biggest, most detailed, most easily readable makes them appear most important. And in this case, this supposedly momentous spread of old generation emperors facing off with New Generation supernovas is mainly defined by...Killer and Kidd facing off with Big Mom? Why would you not put the star players in the front? I mean, Oda didn't put Croc and Luffy in the middle of their respective lineups on the vol 21/22 covers, right?

I really wanna see Kidd get stomped hard. I dislike him, he's too cocky and arrogant for a guy that got his arm cut off by the Red hair pirates, then got destroyed by Kaido.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    I think the idea is more the supernovas facing yonkos then it is Kidd and Killer specifically.I dont care much for Kidd cause he seems like a lot bark with no bark but grouping him with Luffy and Law is pretty common and having the proeminent trio of the supernovas facing the 2 yonko is a cool image for your 1000 chapter.

It's basically the same trio then back then at the auction house at the archipelago. Like Law just randomly showed up there despite being on a side quest and Luffy path suddenly got easy and Kidd finally got enough metal and no problem getting there.

The chapter is called Straw Hat Luffy and the chapter lived up to the name. Did you never see Luffy so you need him "in the front".
    He's in the middle so he can go in a straight line between BM and Kaido to see Kinemom. If he was in Kid's place he would have to go diagonally which would've been awkward. Come on. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Luffy's in the center because he's the one who's going to become Pirate King. He's the protagonist, he takes the center.

And, as it was said, we still don't know much about Kidd and Killer and this is the fight that will show us why Kidd had a slightly bigger bounty in Sabaody and why he dared going against Shanks.
    We know about Law and Zoro so they can be further way from the eye for this shot, the readers need to be reminded that the Kidd Pirates will be an important piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinx View Post
    The chapter is called Straw Hat Luffy and the chapter lived up to the name. Did you never see Luffy so you need him "in the front".
    He's in the middle so he can go in a straight line between BM and Kaido to see Kinemom. If he was in Kid's place he would have to go diagonally which would've been awkward. Come on. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
    I'm not talking about whether it is "logical", I am talking about what makes the spread more impactful and reflective of who the main players of the event are supposed to be. Like, why -in this case- would you want to see Kidd so prominently featured? Like, 3.5x Luffys size prominent, with the text about powerful pirates showing up over him, and him getting a line, but not Luffy? How does it enhance this spread, this moment?
    The author has godlike control of the composition of the scenes in the manga, Oda could've composed it however he saw fit for maximum effect. As for Luffy moving diagonally,

a) this is a seperate moment temporally from the spread, which has a wind-up of Luffy clearly moving towards the emperors so whats the big deal, and
    b) its not a fully joined spread anyway, theres a line dividing the spacing of the characters because of their size differences, so its not like their placements were necessarily 1:1 parrallel
    c) even if you want to keep Luffy centralized, because fair enough, theres no need to have him so much smaller than Kidd/Killer, or to have them in the foreground over more prominent arc-characters like Law and Zoro.

and d) you're the one who cited a youtube video doing an elaborate breakdown of the reasonings behind this character placemenrt so whats the big deal indeed

Anyways, the pre-Enies lobby showdown spread also don't have Luffy as the biggest, but at least there he's in the actual center, he's the only one speaking which makes you drawn to him because the spread is more minimalist, he's not that much smaller than the biggest character, and those bigger characters have at least been extremely prominent in the arc, least of all series. Curiously, none of the characters bigger than Luffy here are all that emotive in the spread.

Also also, way back in 504 when Law, Kidd and Luffy lined up, they did so in that order, with Luffy as the biggest - though with all three characters at roughly comparable size. Curiouser and curiouser.

Basically what I'm getting at is that Kidd sucks and doesn't deserve to take up so much real estate on the spread.
    Last edited by Daz; January 4th, 2021 at 09:28 AM.

This is kind of reverse logic. It's not 'why is a character like Kidd who isn't that important so prominent in this spread' . It's 'if Kidd is so prominent in this spread, then he must be important'.

Luffy is small before the punch because Oda was drawing the DragonBall chapter where Goku arrives to fight the sayans, and looks so calm that they don't even recognize him as a threat. (seriously, the scabbards are the surviving earth fighters, Law is the kinto, and Red Roc is Kaio-ken)

It's part of the composition, he's the smallest guy, he hits the hardest.

But I respect your beef with Kidd if that's why you don't like the double page.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information