+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1,000: Straw Hat Luffy

Default Re: Chapter 1,000: Straw Hat Luffy

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post

While Luffy decking an emperor is a big moment to be sure, it's a bit undermined by the fact that we've just seen an extended round of other characters getting hits in on Kaidou, and well, I just don't get the big "Yessss take that you evil bastard, so satisfying that the evil bastard got punched" feeling. Like, its a power-feat, but I don't care enough about Kaidou as a villain for it to be emotionally cathartic in the same way Enel or Croc, or even St. Charloss getting decked were.
    I agree that it didn´t feel as amazing as the others you´ve mentioned. Personally, as a badass opener, I would´ve loved it more had Luffy simply semi-casually Haki shield-blocked that slam (Ray vs Elephant), like "bro, having a conversation here...", instantly followed by Zoro blitz-cutting the off-balanced Emperor.
    But yeah, he probably only learned advanced offensive Armament (penetration), not the shield one (protection), and I guess punching is by default cooler than blocking to the average teen.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Kaido OHKO-ing Luffy was a mistake.
    I do have an explanation for him being "suprised" by Thunder Bagua or what it´s called - it´s a weapon technique similar to what swordsmen do when they rush their oponents (Zoro vs Apoo most recently).
    So that part was OK, despite Luffy very recently upgrading his Observation, he´s not that used to fighting against weapons.
    I am not OK with that KO though, I wish Luffy would´ve been hurt badly by that, bloodied, down on his hands and knees, trying to get up.
    He´s one of the most resilient characters in the OP world, usually standing up after a beat-down, no matter what.

The reason I see it as an issue now is that Luffy cannot get hit by that again here. It would be kinda BS if he suddenly could continue fighting like nothing afterwards. Yes Luffy has worked out in the mine but is that enough to tank such a hit?
    I just think this is slightly different than upgrading something like Armament. I think Luffy had it already in him, he just didn´t know "how" to make it do "that", contrary to the ability to take hits.
    Then again, even BM owned Queen in a similar fashion to showcase how overpowered Emperors are...although he was back up faster than Luffy.

Anyway, back to Bagua being a weapon technique, assuming Kaido goes for it again, I believe Zoro might be able to 3 sword block it next chapter.
    The only other option, quite probable one, is Law acting as the puppet master and porting the good guys all around the battlefield into good offensive positions while they take no damage.

I don´t particularly care about Kid that much, that rivalry feels a bit forced to me, but one of the things I am actually looking forward to most is Kid fighting here, we haven´t seen him do anything but large metal arm punching so far, I hope he is more creative than that.

What else. I also thought about BM, her first reaction to Hellfire Fist Punch and the stuff she said last chapter to Kaido - kill as many as you want (implying she won´t participate or interfere), just leave Robin alive - might point towards her staying out of this fight.
    And, when she sees that the kids are not going down but rather Kaido is struggling, that might be the reason for the foreshadowed "pirates will betray you" story-line.
    Basically, I can see Luffy, Zoro, Kid and Law defeat Kaido after they move as one (completely cooperate) and use every single opening they get, but they´re nowhere near strong enough to beat them both.

In theory:
    - Law ports them, they take no damage,
    - Kid´s pile of scrapmetal might block some damage,
    - Zoro might block some weapon damage,

- Luffy can hurt Kaido now,
    - Zoro can hurt Kaido now,
    - maybe if Kid has seastone in his pile, he might be able to hurt Kaido as well.

Very difficult fight, we haven´t seen all-out Kaido yet, impossible if their teamwork sucks and they start losing members fast.
    More likely they gonna get pummeled first, then say we gotta cooperate or we´ll die.
    Last edited by Nubtro; January 4th, 2021 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Faraday cage might be a bad example as it protects what is inside from electricity

No but seriously, can someone make sense of why Kidd and Killer get to be front and center of that particular spread, I just don't get it

Kid is obviously being groomed to become the newest member of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet. Subdivision: Tsundere Pirates (lead by Crocodile).

Here are some trademarked incoming one-liners:

"Don't let Kaido get his way!!!!" - while he stops Onigashima from dropping on the capital with all the garbage he collected. It will be really sexy and anti-heroish, prepare to swoon!

Alternatively:

"If you want to protect someone you have to do it properly!" - Do you understand? He doesn't want to protect anyone, but he's really mad that our protagonists are not doing it right!

No but seriously, can someone make sense of why Kidd and Killer get to be front and center of that particular spread, I just don't get it
    Because somehow Oda knows that after Luffy, Kid and Killer are my favorite supernovas and for whatever reason wanted to make this chapter even more satisfying to me?
    LIE
    CHEAT STEAL
    KILL WIN

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Kaido implied that the floating island would kill wano people when it lands in the capital. The other strawhats can prevent it to happen
    Yeah, something like that could work quite well. Have them clear their individual obstacles before they can take care of saving people.
    Just something fun I made during the latest Survivor playing as Monji:
    Spoiler:

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Again, Kidd and Killer is super underdeveloped like so much in this arc, but to be fair, they do have huge grievances against Kaidou. They tried to create an alliance to go against him where one of the members turned out to be Kaidou's loyal servant with the other member deciding to go to his side as well. He was betrayed, and because of it, Killer was directly impacted by taking a smile, being stuck in that state and acted as a slave essentially while Kidd was in prison. They have their gripes against Kaidou and it makes sense for them to want to be there. That Luffy and co. happen to be doing all they're doing just gives him his optimal opportunity to take him down. If I thought there was development there, maybe Kidd and Killer might have even opened up their hearts to trust allies again by being able to work with someone like Luffy (and Law).

But that's all rationalizations of Kidd/Killer on my end (though not much worse than the focus given to some of the 9 Scabbards so take that as you will), they have not earned their right to be given the focus other than their popularity by fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

The Kid, Hawkins, Apoo alliance was not to go against Kaido it was to go against Shanks.

I really wish I gave a shit about Kidd and Killer

And even if I did, I'd still find it odd that they get to be front and center of the big Face Off Spread after having such neglible presence in the arc. You can even say that about Law, despite him being the one to start pushing us down the Kaidou railroad tracks years ago. 'S weird.
    From what I see it, each captain has his right-hand man to his right, so Kid has Killer to his right and Luffy has Zoro; Law doesn't have anyone since his guys are stuck on the sub off the island.
    So basically, Luffy in the center with Law to his right and Kid to his left(+ the righthands at the rights of their captains).

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    The Kid, Hawkins, Apoo alliance was not to go against Kaido it was to go against Shanks.
    Thanks. Seriously resolution this year is to reread the New World arcs (or pre timeskip Sabaody to current, seriously)

Still, I recall Kaidou crashing the party, and I gotta assume there were betrayals that occurred there. Just forgot if Apoo was with Kaidou already at that point or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizoku_Ou View Post
    From what I see it, each captain has his right-hand man to his right, so Kid has Killer to his right and Luffy has Zoro; Law doesn't have anyone since his guys are stuck on the sub off the island.
    So basically, Luffy in the center with Law to his right and Kid to his left(+ the righthands at the rights of their captains).
    Bepo is technically in Onigashima with Shachi and Penguin. We just don't know where they went.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

can someone post the author's comments from this edition? I can't find it on mangaplus and I'd like to see what they wrote about Odacchi

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Is there a break this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    Is there a break this week?
    A Shonen Jump break, yes.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    A Shonen Jump break, yes.
    Sorry to ask further but do you know if last week an Oda break or SJ break?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Decent View Post
    Sorry to ask further but do you know if last week an Oda break or SJ break?
    WSJ does two break around new year, and these are the two breaks before and after chapter 1000.

What was harder for Kinemon?
    One half being attached to a dragon while his head is sliced and imprisoned on an island he shipwrecked after leaving his island for the first time and having lost his comrades, being the furthest away to do what he set out to do.
    Or being beaten to a pulp with all his friends barely clinging to life, while knowing one good friend was a traitor the whole time and all his effort was worth almost nothing against his sworn enemy.
    Dude goes through tough times^^
    UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFWind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

I've been a member for a long time. I don't post often though. Thought I should at least have a comment in the 1000th chapter thread. I really enjoyed it. There were some great scenes.

I don't feel the same way Daz does about Kidd and Killer at all.
    For me, I'm hyped to finally see them going all out on a high level against a tough opponent. I'm not a huge Kidd or Killer fan, by any means, but I assume Oda is planning on making fans out of many of us during this fight and that's exciting. While I'm not a huge fan, I do think Oda has done just enough to accept them as part of this battle, from Kidd's place in jail (foreshadowed sometime in Zou, I believe) to the reveal of Killer as Kamazo. I think that was really compelling stuff.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

I can't wait for this chapter to be animated. The 5 Supernova climbing on top of the dome with the sound of Shiro Hamaguchi's Overtaken(Maximum Volume).

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I don't feel the same way Daz does about Kidd and Killer at all.
    For me, I'm hyped to finally see them going all out on a high level against a tough opponent. I'm not a huge Kidd or Killer fan, by any means, but I assume Oda is planning on making fans out of many of us during this fight and that's exciting. While I'm not a huge fan, I do think Oda has done just enough to accept them as part of this battle, from Kidd's place in jail (foreshadowed sometime in Zou, I believe) to the reveal of Killer as Kamazo. I think that was really compelling stuff.
    That's exactly how I feel, excited to see them finally go all out. Also I'm glad they aren't fighting a Calamity in the end.

Big moment in One Piece history. 1000 chapters! Wow. Congratulations and thank you Oda for the journey!

Chapter content felt appropriate for the milestone. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information