+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fate: The Winx Saga (Winx Club Live Action)

Default Fate: The Winx Saga (Winx Club Live Action)

Anyone fans of the Winx Club on here? For those who are, it was announced back in 2019 a live action series for Italian Magical girl cartoon Winx Club was in the works and going to on Netflix. Starring Abigail Cowen (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina) as Bloom
    The trailer has been released and is set to premiere January 22, 2021.

The series has already been met with heavy criticism due to the MAJOR WHITEWASHING of two of.its series main characters Musa and Flora the removal of Techna and Flora (who's been replaced by her "cousin" Terra) and the removal of Winx arch nemesis The Trix all combined into one character named Beatrix... but let's see how this plays out.

Default Re: Fate: The Winx Saga (Winx Club Live Action)

Has anyone watched

I have been a Winx Fan since I was 7 years old. It was a foundation for my love of fantasy and world-building that I have today and, because of its artstyle, it also helped me to easily adjust to anime when I first started watching it. This live action is not Winx and I refuse to call it that.

MINOR SPOILERS!

However, the story on its own (if we ignore the source and whitewashing), was actually okey (Not good, just okay!). The first three episodes were pretty bad but the ending somewhat made up for it.

The first episode was the worst one. Every character was toxic and unlikeble. Aisha was the only likeable character upon introduction.
    Later episodes kind of fixed that but because of the lenght of the season being only six episodes, character progression felt a bit forced.
    The villains were also pretty boring and all the secrecy made me a bit annoyed because most of the problems could have been solved if they just talked to eachother.
    The main group didnt feel like a group till the very end, and Stella's lack of interactions with other girls made her "goodbye" (or lack of it) less impactful.

Another problem I have, not just with Winx, but alse with Sabrina, is that the world feels small. It might be just the camera angles and a lack of montagese when characters are traveling (Bloom and Beatrix visiting the ruins made it feel like the ruins were behind the school).
    And the last problem I have with the show is that when your magic is affected by emotions, shouldn't a toxic environment be a last place to learn how to use it.

The best thing about the show is the way magic is used. (Bloom's powers were boring though).
    I recommend the show to those who are into occult and supernatural. (6/10 on its own, but 4/10 if you take whitewashing and the source material into account.)

If you are an OG fan and would like to see some elements of the live action (like body diversity, LGBTQ+,... ), but also want sparkels and flasy fashion I recommand you read a webcomic called Just us Fairies. It is still in its early stages but so far has shown a lot of promise.

Sorry if I made any mistakes (english is not my native tongue.) This is also my first post on this forum so... Take care of me!

I agree with most of your review, this would have been better as its own show rather trying to pass it off as an adaption of Winx, from other reviews I've read ots nothingike the source material at all

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information