+ Reply to Thread
Page 316 of 319 FirstFirst ... 216 266 306 314 315 316 317 318 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,320 of 6366

Thread: What are you Playing?

Stranger in a Strange Land lr-hr-rh's Avatar

Default Re: What are you Playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    Oh hey another game I love, and replayed recently. It has a very slow-paced start. It doesn't really open up properly until you get the ability to capture familiars, and then again when you have 3 party members. That said the party member AI is a huge problem in battle and will waste all their MP immediately, which doesn't help your observation lol. You really have to restrict what they're allowed to do and abuse their patterns which is lame. Probably the game's biggest flaw.

But yeah later on if you want any tips on what to use, what matters, where to go, what quests to focus on etc, let me know.
    Oh, awesome thanks. I appreciate the offer. Yeah I just got...blonde girl and wow does the AI just devour its MP if you're not careful. I might give juggling my current familiars around a try, as when her blue penguin thing isn't casting spells he's poking things with his stick for like, 1 damage. :/

Yeah, magic-based familiars can be really strong but when they guzzle the MP in AI hands they end up useless pretty quickly. You should keep in mind though that the different party members have "affinity" for different categories of familiar, which gives them a 10% or 20% boost in combat (I forget exactly how much). Also most of the starter familiars follow a curve of being strong early but weak late, so I wouldn't feel too attached to them.

Yeah that's been my concern with giving blonde girl my monkey familiar, I don't think they're particularly compatible. I'll probably mess around with the tactics a bit and see if I can strike a good balance. I haven't actually check if the game stores your last recorded tactics for each character if it just resets to default with each new battle. Thanks for the info on the starter familiars. Much as I like my little sword wielding clone I'm very excited to start capturing my own familiars.

I beat Persona 4 today, and got the true ending! The final scenes were awesome! :)

Spoiler:
    I like how the theme is to seek the truth, instead of living a lie; or rather hear lies from people so you can live in a fantasy. I for myself, seek the truth. Like for example, I want people to be honest; and tell me straight out instead of being passive and telling me a lie; in fear of hurting my feelings. I wish these people would understand that the lie hurts more than the truth. The truth sets you free. I really liked that aspect that was mentioned in the final battle. I also enjoyed the theme of the game, of accepting who you are, all of it. It can relate to me, and help me in my recovery as well. I'm glad I got to play this game, it is quite a masterpiece, indeed! ^^

Avatar: Series: Kantai Collection; Character: Shigu; Artist: Ikura Nagisa

Doing a now-rare-for-me Platinum Trophy run on Ys VIII. Genuinely my favorite game of the year.

Set up MGO2 and played a few TSNE matches. I'm so happy.

I started playing Final Fantasy IX today! :)

Avatar: Series: Kantai Collection; Character: Shigu; Artist: Ikura Nagisa

I started playing Golf Story. It's surprisingly both sarcastic and charming in ways Mario Golf couldn't be.

Not firelord ozai or zuko firelord111's Avatar

Starcraft 2 starter edition seems good actually and soon it's going to become free to play?

By fire be purged

So I've been playing quite a few games recently since I splurged on Steam and the Wii Shop, including Earthworm Jim 2, Castlevania Adventure Rebirth, and the Bit.Trip series. But the one I've been spending most of my time on is Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

And let me just say, that game is fucking ridiculous. To paint a picture, you start off with three lives, Alex dies after one hit, you have a weird punch attack with an incredibly small hit box, the controls are slippery and unwieldy as fuck, and if at any point in the game you get a game over you have to start over from the very beginning (unless you have $400 and know the secret continue code). There's no check points, no warps, you have to do the whole game over.

God, old school games could be really fuckin' stupid.

Played a few matches of MGO2 some more but some of the rules people put on the game kind of ruin it for me. Makes me think of all the stuff surrounding the Super Smash Bros tournament rules. Also got a bit further in Deus Ex. I got past the part where I stopped last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    So I've been playing quite a few games recently since I splurged on Steam and the Wii Shop, including Earthworm Jim 2, Castlevania Adventure Rebirth, and the Bit.Trip series. But the one I've been spending most of my time on is Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

And let me just say, that game is fucking ridiculous. To paint a picture, you start off with three lives, Alex dies after one hit, you have a weird punch attack with an incredibly small hit box, the controls are slippery and unwieldy as fuck, and if at any point in the game you get a game over you have to start over from the very beginning (unless you have $400 and know the secret continue code). There's no check points, no warps, you have to do the whole game over.

You should give Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars a try after that. It has FM sound and gives you infinite lives, so the experience is much smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    You should give Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars a try after that. It has FM sound and gives you infinite lives, so the experience is much smoother.
    I actually do have it and I played the first level of it and...well, it's a different gameplay experience to be sure. But yes, it is at least much more forgiving.

UPDATE: It was a thoroughly nerve-wracking experience, but I managed to beat Alex Kidd in Miracle World. The solution to that room with the spikes in the water is the most counter-intuitive bullcrap I have ever seen.

Still, I suppose the game had a certain charm to it.

Aggravator via Destiny darktravis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post

With Miracle World being the first game I ever owned (due to it being inbulit into MSII), I completely and utterly understand each and every word you just said.

Still playing Ni No Kuni.
    Wow am I bad at Ni No Kuni.
    Just arrived at the snow place around level 30-ish hunting for some magic stone and roosters are apparently the bane of my existence.
    Start battle --> 3x Roosters --> 3x Slice and Dice --> ...goodbye Oliver --> switch to Esther --> ...Esther has no MP --> ...don't switch to Swaine --> Die --> And so on
    I mean. I figure I should probably put a familiar in my team that can use Defend and has good defense. But wherever I go on the world map off the beaten path the monsters are smacking me around (or I have to dump most of my MP using my best tricks to kill them for a piddling amount of XP) so I don't know if this is supposed to be the cue to kickoff some sort of grinding montage or if there's some mechanic I'm just not incorporating as I should be :/

Oh well.

You do sound a little underleveled, especially depending on the order in which you're doing things / how far you are in the game. Have you been going after sidequests in general? There are also certain rare familiars in the wild that give craploads of experience. In the ice area in particular I remember benefiting a lot this last run from the right elemental weapons and armor.

As for familiars to get, you could probably benefit both from a good defender and something with really high DPS. Again depending on how far you are there are different things you can catch... but on the defensive side some of the best tanks are available early, such as the Monolith line. I could give more specific advice if needed/wanted.

Yeah I've been having trouble getting a gauge of my progress in regards to whether I'm over/underlevelled. I've already got the stone from the ghost ship and didn't really have problems with that or with any of the previous bosses (my usual gauges for being under/overlevelled in a jrpg). I've been trying to do most of the sidequests I come across (assuming you mean the ones you get from errand boards, bounty hunts and the like), but up till recently I was also playing the game with a friend of mine who is a lot more main story focussed so I've not been exploring as much as I would like to.

I probably need to hunt for more familiars but I'm kinda leery on the time investment required. Most of my familiars are second stage, around level 30 and there definitely seems to be an exponential drop-off in the XP boost lower-levelled familiars get from beating higher-levelled enemies, but if I can find these rare familiars that give more experience I'd definitely like to do some shuffling with my current party. My main DPS guys are my Cutpurrse and Drone Bumbler. I've got a Monolith with Swaine but it only recently learned a trick to take advantage of its decent mag attack stat (and I don't really trust the AI to make much use of it either way) and I'm not overly comfortable switching away from Oliver to control it directly as I figure the AI will just piss away all of my MP (I mean, Slice and Dice is great for me when I want to use it but I definitely wouldn't trust the AI to figure when its a good time to make that 33 MP investment!). I'm also not sure how much of a difference the compatability bonus makes in the grand scheme of things =P

Overall I think I just need to probably slow things down and look around a bit more, maybe do some side quests (although I'm stacking up merit cards atm with nothing to spend them on >.< ) and mess around with party balance. I just have the recent frustration of getting repeatedly sliced and diced on the brain atm hahaha. I'd definitely be appreciative of any advice you'd be willing to share, one of my current sticking concerns is whether it's worth it sticking with familiar lines like Monolith that level up *way* slower than most of the other ones.

The main purpose of throwing something like Monolith on Swaine is that he switches it into battle immediately when you give the all-out defense command (which you should be abusing the fuck out of since it's the only way to make the AI survive). It's not necessary for it to ever attack or use MP; in fact you can probably disable all offensive tricks. Honestly from the midgame on I tend to spend most serious battles in a state of either all-out defense or all-out attack.

About experience and slow leveling. Usually things that level up very slowly do so because they gain way more stats per level, and have a lower level cap. Most familiars in final stage will go to level 99. But the Monolith line caps at 50. Some others even lower, at 30 for example. The most extreme case is a familiar that has a max level of 4. Also you have excellent taste with your Cutpurrse. That thing can carry you into the endgame, and I fucking love its alternate final evolution (not spoiling the name just in case XD). I think if you slap a fire sword onto that it will melt through a lot of the enemies on the continent you're on. Also... have you been boosting any familiar stats by feeding them? That can really help.

Okay, so for the experience grinding. The enemy you want right now is called a Toko, and can be found on Ugly Duckling Isle. It's a small island kinda northwest of Hamelin with all 3 of Oliver's early familiars running around on it (Mite, Thumbelemur and Seed Sprite). But occasionally you'll see something else. It can show up on the world map but also be part of any encounter you start on that island. I think a dead giveaway that it'll be in combat is if the unit runs from you on the world map, but that doesn't mean it can't still show up if the unit chases you. Personally I tend to try to get them to appear visibly before combat but that involves a lot of flying around because the loading zone for the enemies is a ways from the island. But it's a lot of luck since they're rare as I said. Toko's evolution is much more consistently findable (and gives way more exp) but you're not strong enough to farm those yet (they're on the path up to Perdida, which you probably haven't found yet). Anyway important thing to note is these fuckers run away quickly. From battle and from you on the map (the unit will vanish into thin air after a few seconds of running). So you have to corner them quickly and also kill them quickly.

Final option. There is a familiar that just wrecks. The thing is a beast. It deals brutal damage and eats hits for days, once you level it up a bit. It has terrible speed (movement AND attack) but don't let that fool you, especially once you put some decent tricks on it. I'm putting this last because it's almost to the point where it ends up trivializing most of the game (arguably even including the strongest post-game superboss). And if you get multiple of these and give them to your whole party, you can just laugh your way to the end. Not gonna lie though I enjoy using it, or at least having it in my party in case I hit unexpected trouble. But anyway, the details. This guy is also kind of rare and has a shit tame rate. But you can find it on top of the cliffsides around Al Mamoon. My favorite spot it up near where the Temple of Trials is (to the north, where you met Solomon). Like with Tokos I just fly far enough away to reload the enemies and land somewhere with enemy units nearby (but not too close, or they won't spawn when you land). The thing is called Dinoceros and you'll probably know it when you see it. It has a horn.

Yeah Monolith has been good for keeping Swaine alive when I use all-defense, I think my problem there is that I haven't found any other familiars to fill the other spots in his party that I like so it's never particularly useful to have him be the one that doesn't die. I'll probably do a bit more hunting around to try and solve that particular problem, especially if I can grind on these Tokos and don't need to worry as much about the time investment of levelling up new familiars. Glad to hear that the Cutpurrse is a viable long-term option, I essentially caught one because it reminded me of my friend's cat (I also named it after him) so I've got a bit of sentimental attachment there =P. I've been boosting the stats of the familiars I'm pretty sure I'll keep, so at this point that's basically just my Cutpurrse, Drone Bumbler and Swaine's Monolith. The rest I've been unsure of whether the investment is worth it, but I've not really looked into producing foods with alchemy (again my friend wasn't big on me stopping the game for an hour to leaf through the Wizard's Companion >.< ) so maybe it'll turn out I don't need to be as stingey with my good treats as I have been.

Thanks muchly for the info on the Toko and the Dinoceros, the latter especially sounds awesome (and looks like a total badass if he's picture in the Wizard's Companion is anything to go by). I'll probably hold off on taming one for now though; while I've been getting slapped around by strong familiars in the wild the bosses so far have been a good mix of challenging and beatable without multiple retries and I don't want to mess with that balance just yet...
    ...or maybe I'll just catch one and keep him in reserve. He just looks too cool to not have!

Monster hunter stories one of the best pokemon "clones" I played and has a lot of things I wished Sun/Moon had like a player character that isn't perpetually doing the same psychotic smile all the time no matter what happens.

I want to believe too big guy
    3ds code friend:0404-6254-1866
    new "new"3ds code friend:0791-4253-7110 (monster hunter)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information