+ Reply to Thread
Page 327 of 328 FirstFirst ... 227 277 317 325 326 327 328 LastLast
Results 6,521 to 6,540 of 6544

Thread: What are you Playing?

Default Re: What are you Playing?

Yeah haha
    The vinyl trend just kind of...reeks of snobbery. Like, that's nice that it's actually the most authentic sound quality or whatever whatever technical something, but I'm a millennial living out of 5 cardboard boxes. Ain't no gramophone in there.

Also bizarre because it must (?) cost way more to produce those rather than CDs. How about both options, at the very least

EDIT: Went to twitter just after posting this and the first thing I see is a tweet about Katamari Damacy on vinyl lololol

I'm totally cool with the vinyl release existing but it being the only option is beyond annoying (although in this case at least you have the choice between TWO nigh-obsolete technologies!). The better sound fidelity debate is way more subjective than factual ("the noise from the needle gives the sound an authentic warm quality") and even less meaningful when it's also available in lossless digital format.

CD is also an obsolete technology.

These are pretty much just collector items.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Just saying that some more product/price differentiation would've been nice and resulted in more sales for them than the quirky indie limited niche approach. Hell, even just a physical liner notes option for $3 alone or something. But I'd be much more incentivized to spend more on a medium I can actually use in my car.

The fact that some of the tracks had to be shortened or outright cut to fit on the LP just makes the decision more baffling.

But I take your point. A lot (most?) of the people zealous enough to spend money on what they can get for free on youtube are going for the collectible aspect.
    Last edited by CCC; February 13th, 2018 at 03:22 PM.

I like the collector's aspect in the sense that it's a physical representation of my ownership, and can be displayed, and I get that LPs have much more space for artwork and such (the downside being that they take up way more space...). But in most cases, especially with music, I also want the utility. Same as how I'm not a huge figurine collector but I'm pretty okay with buying amiibos because hey, they actually have NFC chips and can do more than just sit on a shelf.

It's true that optical media as a whole is on the decline, but CDs are by miles the most accessible and current format. Desktops still have readers, most newer techs like Bluray are backwards-compatible (or at least the players are), and of course as CCC mentioned, cars, which still come with them if you buy a new one.

I'm playing Monster Hunter World.

...now back to Celeste.

On the plus side, Lena Raine just (digitally) released an album of all the assorted Celeste tracks missing from the other two soundtracks, including the 8-bit level themes which I was sorely missing. So, she can still have more of my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    That makes a disturbing amount of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    I just assumed there was going to be a CD version. If not I'm not buying it, sadly. Can't remember the last time I had a cassette player, and while I do have a turntable it's more hassle than it's worth and I'm honestly not willing to support this stupid trend of modern limited-release game soundtracks only releasing on Vinyl.
    I own several players and I'd never buy one. Virtually all of the audio that I've listened to over the last decade has been digital, and I've only listened to CDs directly a couple of times in the last five years.

If it can't be ripped to FLAC, it's useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    CD is also an obsolete technology.

These are pretty much just collector items.
    Do most digital downloads exceed CD quality? If not, it isn't obsolete.

I'm aware that DVD audio and Blu-ray audio discs exist, but only a few of those were ever released in the west and I'm pretty sure both are dead now.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; February 15th, 2018 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Do most digital downloads exceed CD quality?
    If you're talking about overall quality as a product, then overwhelmingly yes. If you're talking about audio quality, then that isn't even a valid question, because they're both derived from the same master and you can't exceed the quality of the master.

If you're talking about overall quality as a product, then overwhelmingly yes. If you're talking about audio quality, then that isn't even a valid question, because they're both derived from the same master and you can't exceed the quality of the master.
    I was talking about audio quality.
    Don't audio DVDs with better quality than CDs exist? Why can't digital albums be produced in higher quality?

How are digital downloads better products? You can't resell them, they aren't guaranteed to last as long and CDs themselves are generally easy to convert to lossless, DRM-free digital files.

I'm just going to hide all of this because it's off-topic:

Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I was talking about audio quality.
    Don't audio DVDs with better quality than CDs exist? Why can't digital albums be produced in higher quality?
    Because the master is everything. The master is your final cut of the recording, before processing. No matter what, you're never going to get higher quality than that on any media it's released on, that's just how the thing was recorded. There's a bunch of lo-fi bands that intentionally muddle things, or records produced as cleanly as possible. The master is how they want it to sound, or at least the way it gets released. When something is remastered, they adjust or edit the master (occasionally with some rerecords) and derive media to sell from that.

That master gets turned into a lossless audio file (FLAC, wav, etc...) from which subsequent media and lower bit rate formats are derived. I don't know about audio DVDs, but it's possible that they're mixed for surround sound instead of stereo, sometimes, which is a whole different thing, since switching between them isn't a simple translation.

CDs generally contain the lossless file (unless it's burnt or bootlegged or something from a lossy source). Downloads can be sold as lossy (ie MP3) or lossless (ie FLAC), and most vendors sell you the right to download whatever way you want. Lossless contains all the audible data there can be, but also take up a lot of space, and the human ear can't distinguish between high bitrate and lossless, anyways. MP3s take up less space, but don't contain all the data, so people into that prefer FLAC (generally for archiving purposes, since you can derive lossy from lossless, but not the other way around).

As far as peak quality goes, though, it boils down to lossless is lossless is lossless, so lossless on a CD is no different from lossless on a computer.

How are digital downloads better products? You can't resell them, they aren't guaranteed to last as long and CDs themselves are generally easy to convert to lossless, DRM-free digital files.
    Sure, you can't resell digital media, but the reason people resell CDs and vinyl to begin with is usually problems with physical storage. If you're reselling them for money, you might as well pirate, so that at least all purchases of the music contribute to the artist. And downloads can be stored in external drives, which you really should be backing up your data on, anyways. Regardless, if you buy the download, the vendor will continue to let you access the download, anyways, so it isn't really a problem. And your last point can be turned around, too. You can burn CDs from downloaded files.

So far, though, you're missing the real bottom line: that CD players are not ubiquitous anymore. New cars and computers are being sold without the things, while all modern media players can interact with digital media. It's the same general thing that happened with cassettes and vinyl when CD came around and made them obsolete. Digital media is just overwhelmingly more convenient than physical media with the way technology has evolved.

I'm just going to hide all of this because it's off-topic:

Hidden:

Because the master is everything. The master is your final cut of the recording, before processing. No matter what, you're never going to get higher quality than that on any media it's released on, that's just how the thing was recorded. There's a bunch of lo-fi bands that intentionally muddle things, or records produced as cleanly as possible. The master is how they want it to sound, or at least the way it gets released. When something is remastered, they adjust or edit the master (occasionally with some rerecords) and derive media to sell from that.

That master gets turned into a lossless audio file (FLAC, wav, etc...) from which subsequent media and lower bit rate formats are derived. I don't know about audio DVDs, but it's possible that they're mixed for surround sound instead of stereo, sometimes, which is a whole different thing, since switching between them isn't a simple translation.

CDs generally contain the lossless file (unless it's burnt or bootlegged or something from a lossy source). Downloads can be sold as lossy (ie MP3) or lossless (ie FLAC), and most vendors sell you the right to download whatever way you want. Lossless contains all the audible data there can be, but also take up a lot of space, and the human ear can't distinguish between high bitrate and lossless, anyways. MP3s take up less space, but don't contain all the data, so people into that prefer FLAC (generally for archiving purposes, since you can derive lossy from lossless, but not the other way around).

As far as peak quality goes, though, it boils down to lossless is lossless is lossless, so lossless on a CD is no different from lossless on a computer.

Sure, you can't resell digital media, but the reason people resell CDs and vinyl to begin with is usually problems with physical storage. If you're reselling them for money, you might as well pirate, so that at least all purchases of the music contribute to the artist. And downloads can be stored in external drives, which you really should be backing up your data on, anyways. Regardless, if you buy the download, the vendor will continue to let you access the download, anyways, so it isn't really a problem. And your last point can be turned around, too. You can burn CDs from downloaded files.

So far, though, you're missing the real bottom line: that CD players are not ubiquitous anymore. New cars and computers are being sold without the things, while all modern media players can interact with digital media. It's the same general thing that happened with cassettes and vinyl when CD came around and made them obsolete. Digital media is just overwhelmingly more convenient than physical media with the way technology has evolved.
    Yeah, this'll be my last post on the subject.
    I disagree with most of your reasons for why paying for music downloads is better than buying a CD, but the gradual disappearance of players is a significant problem.

I'm playing Bayonetta on Switch.... at least i'm trying.
    I always thought i'm a pretty decent gamer but i can't get a hang of this. I'm at chapter 5 right now and i have to fight two fast bird-like Creatures and they just fuck me up every time!
    Even when i somehow get the timing for witch time in ... i can't do enough damage before they annihilate me. Is this really normal difficulty?? Is the learning curve that frickin high? Or do i just suck at this game? I mean, i love the gameplay and it plays wonderfully on the Switch with 60 fps in Handheld mode. It's great! But man ... i don't want to play this on easy!
    Guess i just have to try again and again ... i think this is my 12th or 13th time now.
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

Quote Originally Posted by Neaeran View Post
    I always thought i'm a pretty decent gamer but i can't get a hang of this. I'm at chapter 5 right now and i have to fight two fast bird-like Creatures and they just fuck me up every time!
    Even when i somehow get the timing for witch time in ... i can't do enough damage before they annihilate me. Is this really normal difficulty?? Is the learning curve that frickin high? Or do i just suck at this game? I mean, i love the gameplay and it plays wonderfully on the Switch with 60 fps in Handheld mode. It's great! But man ... i don't want to play this on easy!
    Guess i just have to try again and again ... i think this is my 12th or 13th time now.
    Harmonies (as well as Grace & Glory) are notoriously some of the toughest enemies. Concentrate on building your magic meter before entering the fight and do a torture attack on one of them to weaken it considerably. The first playthrough of Bayonetta will be the roughest, full of Stone Awards, but as with all Kamiya directed games (sans Okami), the first time is merely a prologue before digging into the highest difficulties and mastering the gameplay until you get Pure Platinums across the game.

Once you practice enough, it will be satisfying when even tougher enemies will be defeated by your sheer skill without even the Torture Attacks if you feel like it. The key though aside from a simple "getting better", will be to learn which attacks work best on each enemy, but some are generally always super effective, like the "Punch - Kick - Punch" combo, as one of the simplest but also fastest and strongest.

If you really struggle there is no shame in concocting some healing items while you're still learning the game, the score will suffer but it will get you through brick walls and you'll earn more halos to acquire more moves and such to become even stronger. Also if you really want to test your skills, remember to backtrack for hidden Alfheims, where you'll see immediately which skills will require some mastering.
    Last edited by Yobiyopi; February 19th, 2018 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neaeran View Post
    The game is hard, and even though it's been close to 10 years since I've played it, I think I know exactly which fight you're stuck on. It was one of the harder ones in the game IMO. Selecting advantageous weapons can help, accessories can help, but in the end it's really just about learning the enemies' dangerous attacks and being able to react to them. Also not over-extending yourself offensively.

IMO Bayonetta 2 is a much more polished experience. Also with less BS QTEs.

Okay thanks for the advice. I actually beat them shortly after my post with the help of the torture attack. Of course i died again several times the next time they showed up ... and the time after that.
    And yes i already gave up on getting good awards and i just focus on beating the game before i begin Bayonetta 2.
    I just stopped after trying to fight Jeanne twice .... i don't even know how to begin with her. XD Is there any way to see when she will attack?
    Oh well ... i'll try again tomorrow. At least it's good to know that i'm not so much out of the ordinary.
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

...Do people generally recommend Bayonetta 2, then?
    I have zero interest, but I've gotta translate the art book soon and it might help to know the game :P

For what it's worth, I'm super meh on DMC, loved Viewtiful Joe, but gave up on Bayonetta 1 after ten minutes because I couldn't understand anything about it or its appeal.

Bayonetta 2 is a lot like the first one, just a lot more polished and streamlined. Hardcore players complain that the battle system got simplified and has a lower skill ceiling, but as a non-fanatic I just found it much more pleasant while still challenging (until you get the Bracelet of Time...). 10 minutes isn't enough to even grasp what the game is about, but if intentionally cheesy one-liners and dark humor from an overly-sexualized protagonist who kills the shit out of everything isn't your thing, then what can I say.

For the record DMC was never my kind of thing either. That was the series I gave up on after a few minutes of playing and simply not being interested. But it might have just been me trying the wrong thing at the wrong time.

lol right that sounds fair enough.
    Didn't mind the cosmetic trappings either way; I just had no idea what was going on in that very first battle on the airplane (?) mechanics-wise and the combat seemed offputting even compared to other hack and slashers. And maybe there was some other gem of a game in my to-do pile at the time.

Perhaps I'll give 2 a shot :)

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    ...Do people generally recommend Bayonetta 2, then?
    I have zero interest, but I've gotta translate the art book soon and it might help to know the game :P
    If you like Bayonetta 1, you'll like Bayonetta 2. It's pretty much more of the same.
    Last edited by Nobodyman; February 19th, 2018 at 03:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information