+ Reply to Thread
Page 327 of 327 FirstFirst ... 227 277 317 325 326 327
Results 6,521 to 6,532 of 6532

Thread: What are you Playing?

  1. #6521

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Yeah haha
    The vinyl trend just kind of...reeks of snobbery. Like, that's nice that it's actually the most authentic sound quality or whatever whatever technical something, but I'm a millennial living out of 5 cardboard boxes. Ain't no gramophone in there.

    Also bizarre because it must (?) cost way more to produce those rather than CDs. How about both options, at the very least

    EDIT: Went to twitter just after posting this and the first thing I see is a tweet about Katamari Damacy on vinyl lololol

  2. #6522

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    I'm totally cool with the vinyl release existing but it being the only option is beyond annoying (although in this case at least you have the choice between TWO nigh-obsolete technologies!). The better sound fidelity debate is way more subjective than factual ("the noise from the needle gives the sound an authentic warm quality") and even less meaningful when it's also available in lossless digital format.

  3. #6523
    Acting the Goat Wagomu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Location

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    CD is also an obsolete technology.

    These are pretty much just collector items.

    3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

  4. #6524

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Just saying that some more product/price differentiation would've been nice and resulted in more sales for them than the quirky indie limited niche approach. Hell, even just a physical liner notes option for $3 alone or something. But I'd be much more incentivized to spend more on a medium I can actually use in my car.

    The fact that some of the tracks had to be shortened or outright cut to fit on the LP just makes the decision more baffling.

    But I take your point. A lot (most?) of the people zealous enough to spend money on what they can get for free on youtube are going for the collectible aspect.
    Last edited by CCC; February 13th, 2018 at 03:22 PM.

  5. #6525

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    I like the collector's aspect in the sense that it's a physical representation of my ownership, and can be displayed, and I get that LPs have much more space for artwork and such (the downside being that they take up way more space...). But in most cases, especially with music, I also want the utility. Same as how I'm not a huge figurine collector but I'm pretty okay with buying amiibos because hey, they actually have NFC chips and can do more than just sit on a shelf.

    It's true that optical media as a whole is on the decline, but CDs are by miles the most accessible and current format. Desktops still have readers, most newer techs like Bluray are backwards-compatible (or at least the players are), and of course as CCC mentioned, cars, which still come with them if you buy a new one.

  6. #6526

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    I'm playing Monster Hunter World.

    ...now back to Celeste.

  7. #6527

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    On the plus side, Lena Raine just (digitally) released an album of all the assorted Celeste tracks missing from the other two soundtracks, including the 8-bit level themes which I was sorely missing. So, she can still have more of my money.

  8. #6528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    That makes a disturbing amount of sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    I just assumed there was going to be a CD version. If not I'm not buying it, sadly. Can't remember the last time I had a cassette player, and while I do have a turntable it's more hassle than it's worth and I'm honestly not willing to support this stupid trend of modern limited-release game soundtracks only releasing on Vinyl.
    I own several players and I'd never buy one. Virtually all of the audio that I've listened to over the last decade has been digital, and I've only listened to CDs directly a couple of times in the last five years.

    If it can't be ripped to FLAC, it's useless.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    CD is also an obsolete technology.

    These are pretty much just collector items.
    Do most digital downloads exceed CD quality? If not, it isn't obsolete.

    I'm aware that DVD audio and Blu-ray audio discs exist, but only a few of those were ever released in the west and I'm pretty sure both are dead now.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; February 15th, 2018 at 07:21 AM.

  9. #6529
    Acting the Goat Wagomu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Location

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Do most digital downloads exceed CD quality?
    If you're talking about overall quality as a product, then overwhelmingly yes. If you're talking about audio quality, then that isn't even a valid question, because they're both derived from the same master and you can't exceed the quality of the master.

    3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

  10. #6530

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    If you're talking about overall quality as a product, then overwhelmingly yes. If you're talking about audio quality, then that isn't even a valid question, because they're both derived from the same master and you can't exceed the quality of the master.
    I was talking about audio quality.
    Don't audio DVDs with better quality than CDs exist? Why can't digital albums be produced in higher quality?

    How are digital downloads better products? You can't resell them, they aren't guaranteed to last as long and CDs themselves are generally easy to convert to lossless, DRM-free digital files.

  11. #6531
    Acting the Goat Wagomu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Location

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    I'm just going to hide all of this because it's off-topic:

    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I was talking about audio quality.
    Don't audio DVDs with better quality than CDs exist? Why can't digital albums be produced in higher quality?
    Because the master is everything. The master is your final cut of the recording, before processing. No matter what, you're never going to get higher quality than that on any media it's released on, that's just how the thing was recorded. There's a bunch of lo-fi bands that intentionally muddle things, or records produced as cleanly as possible. The master is how they want it to sound, or at least the way it gets released. When something is remastered, they adjust or edit the master (occasionally with some rerecords) and derive media to sell from that.

    That master gets turned into a lossless audio file (FLAC, wav, etc...) from which subsequent media and lower bit rate formats are derived. I don't know about audio DVDs, but it's possible that they're mixed for surround sound instead of stereo, sometimes, which is a whole different thing, since switching between them isn't a simple translation.

    CDs generally contain the lossless file (unless it's burnt or bootlegged or something from a lossy source). Downloads can be sold as lossy (ie MP3) or lossless (ie FLAC), and most vendors sell you the right to download whatever way you want. Lossless contains all the audible data there can be, but also take up a lot of space, and the human ear can't distinguish between high bitrate and lossless, anyways. MP3s take up less space, but don't contain all the data, so people into that prefer FLAC (generally for archiving purposes, since you can derive lossy from lossless, but not the other way around).

    As far as peak quality goes, though, it boils down to lossless is lossless is lossless, so lossless on a CD is no different from lossless on a computer.

    How are digital downloads better products? You can't resell them, they aren't guaranteed to last as long and CDs themselves are generally easy to convert to lossless, DRM-free digital files.
    Sure, you can't resell digital media, but the reason people resell CDs and vinyl to begin with is usually problems with physical storage. If you're reselling them for money, you might as well pirate, so that at least all purchases of the music contribute to the artist. And downloads can be stored in external drives, which you really should be backing up your data on, anyways. Regardless, if you buy the download, the vendor will continue to let you access the download, anyways, so it isn't really a problem. And your last point can be turned around, too. You can burn CDs from downloaded files.

    So far, though, you're missing the real bottom line: that CD players are not ubiquitous anymore. New cars and computers are being sold without the things, while all modern media players can interact with digital media. It's the same general thing that happened with cassettes and vinyl when CD came around and made them obsolete. Digital media is just overwhelmingly more convenient than physical media with the way technology has evolved.

    3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

  12. #6532

    Default Re: What are you Playing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    I'm just going to hide all of this because it's off-topic:

    Hidden:


    Because the master is everything. The master is your final cut of the recording, before processing. No matter what, you're never going to get higher quality than that on any media it's released on, that's just how the thing was recorded. There's a bunch of lo-fi bands that intentionally muddle things, or records produced as cleanly as possible. The master is how they want it to sound, or at least the way it gets released. When something is remastered, they adjust or edit the master (occasionally with some rerecords) and derive media to sell from that.

    That master gets turned into a lossless audio file (FLAC, wav, etc...) from which subsequent media and lower bit rate formats are derived. I don't know about audio DVDs, but it's possible that they're mixed for surround sound instead of stereo, sometimes, which is a whole different thing, since switching between them isn't a simple translation.

    CDs generally contain the lossless file (unless it's burnt or bootlegged or something from a lossy source). Downloads can be sold as lossy (ie MP3) or lossless (ie FLAC), and most vendors sell you the right to download whatever way you want. Lossless contains all the audible data there can be, but also take up a lot of space, and the human ear can't distinguish between high bitrate and lossless, anyways. MP3s take up less space, but don't contain all the data, so people into that prefer FLAC (generally for archiving purposes, since you can derive lossy from lossless, but not the other way around).

    As far as peak quality goes, though, it boils down to lossless is lossless is lossless, so lossless on a CD is no different from lossless on a computer.



    Sure, you can't resell digital media, but the reason people resell CDs and vinyl to begin with is usually problems with physical storage. If you're reselling them for money, you might as well pirate, so that at least all purchases of the music contribute to the artist. And downloads can be stored in external drives, which you really should be backing up your data on, anyways. Regardless, if you buy the download, the vendor will continue to let you access the download, anyways, so it isn't really a problem. And your last point can be turned around, too. You can burn CDs from downloaded files.

    So far, though, you're missing the real bottom line: that CD players are not ubiquitous anymore. New cars and computers are being sold without the things, while all modern media players can interact with digital media. It's the same general thing that happened with cassettes and vinyl when CD came around and made them obsolete. Digital media is just overwhelmingly more convenient than physical media with the way technology has evolved.
    Yeah, this'll be my last post on the subject.
    I disagree with most of your reasons for why paying for music downloads is better than buying a CD, but the gradual disappearance of players is a significant problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts