+ Reply to Thread
Page 344 of 344 FirstFirst ... 244 294 334 342 343 344
Results 6,861 to 6,874 of 6874

Thread: What are you Playing?

Default Re: What are you Playing?

Just started playing Ori and the Blind Forest.

My god, this game is gorgeous. And, honestly, kinda tough.

Duke Nukem 3D just came out on the Switch for 5 bucks, so I've been playing that lately.

Swole Chihuahua Rogues' Gallery's Avatar

Not playing anything currently, since I'm stuck out here on my second deployment.

Part of being in the service is being able to buy whatever game I want whenever I want, but never really having the time to play any of them like I should.

I have a huge backlog of games to get through (half new games, half wanting to revisit older games before moving onto their newer sequels)

My current list sits at 15 games. Maybe I'll have more time when I get to my shore command.

However, the last game I completed was Plague Tale: Innocence, and it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by RobZilla
    By the end of this fight with Diamante, she'll rediscover her resolve when she's faced with a protect them or they die situation.
    Rebecca will get her triumphant moment, don't you worry.

Over the last few months I've been playing:

Yakuza Kiwami: Everyone says this game isn't as good as Yakuza 0, and while I agree, the gap wasn't as large as I was afraid it was going to be. Haruka was surprisingly likable. A very good child character. I cry for Nishiki.

Death Stranding: Really unique and interesting game. Generally really great whenever you're just delivering packages, but mediocre whenever combat is involved (except the boss fight with Higgs, that was hype). Cliff was the best part of the story.

Finally, I'm currently playing Judgement (currently at chapter 5): Wasn't really feeling it at first, but eventually it clicked and now I'm having about as much fun as I did with the other Yakuza games I've played. I can see this one being my favorite by the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

WoW is in off-season, so I'm playing like 10 minutes a day instead of the usual 10 hours a day. Playing more Fortnite and Overwatch now til fill the multiplayer itch. Also rotating through my backlog on steam while I have the time. Currently working on: Bioshock, Tales of Vesperia, Oblivion, and Oneshot. Plan to play: RE2, Bioshock Infinite, maybe Berseria.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Resident Evil 4 for the first time ever (gamecube version).

New pile of things I've played/am playing:

Spoiler:
    Dark Souls III: I finally finished both real Dark Souls games and it was a bumpy road. A lot of ups and downs in terms of my impressions. My unpopular opinion is that Dark Souls 1 is the best looking game in the series and 3 is the worst. It's not just the greyness that does it for me, but the amount of low contrast details in the environment make the game so visually confusing. The graphics are high quality, but a lot of the compositions hurt my eyes. The gameplay is a lot more fun than Dark Souls 1 overall and it has me really engaged in the combat in a way DS1 never did. I still have complaints about a lot of the bosses having gimmicks and setups that are kind of unfair (fairness in this case meaning you can reasonably deal with it within the first few attempts, which things like hard to read telegraphs hurt), but on a second playthrough they're almost all pretty fun to fight. I really got in the swing of the difficulty at a certain point. My proudest accomplishment is that I beat Nameless King on basically my first try (I lost the first attempt almost immediately vs phase 1 so I don't count it so strongly). Still, despite the battle improvements, the world is so much less engaging than Lordran. The linearizaton of the game contributes to this for sure, but what I dislike the most is having to warp back to Firelink to level up (I know 2 did this with its hub too but I hoped they had walked that back). It really just takes me out of the moment and makes it harder for me to connect with or care about the world. My overall impression of Dark Souls as a whole is that it's a series of games that is best enjoyed by people who already like Dark Souls. The game's combat, exploration and lore all have issues on first exposure, but gain a lot of value when you really know what's up with them. I'll be moving to Bloodbourne and Sekiro after a short break and I'm looking forward to them!

Hylics 2: If you're the kind of person who likes Jodorowsky movies and "That Part of Youtube™" then boy is this the game series for you. I played the first game a while back after watching Vinesauce play it and it was a dip in a pool of mind blending psychedelia. Hylics 2, though, submerges completely in those waters. It is such a huge jump up in terms of production and quality that it makes the original look like a prototype. The sensory experience of this game is bizarre, unique and beautiful. The game itself is a turn-based RPG with overworld exploration that has just enough twists to keep the formula fresh. It's mostly there to deliver the rest of the experience, though, which must be seen to be believed. The battles skew to the more difficult side and the exploration can sometimes be confusing (esp in the 2D platforming segments) but the style and experience of it all makes the flaws worth sitting through.

Outer Wilds: Goddamn is this maybe my favorite game I've played in years? It feels so big and polished that in the middle I was questioning if this even was an indie game. It's a game of space archaeologist set in a small alien solar system filled with all sorts of mysteries to explore as you piece together the greater mysteries before the sun explodes, sending you back to the beginning of a Majora-esque time loop. I love the ways the game guides you without needing to guide you. You're free to explore everything from the beginning and any direction you go will have you finding interesting or important things, which give you clues pointing elsewhere in space, so you're hardly ever lost. From the beginning, you're armed with every tool you need besides the knowledge you'll learn as you explore, so there aren't really any dead ends. Space travel can feel wonky, but in a sorta realistic way and exploration is seamless without a need for loading screens. There's so much to appreciate and love about the game that I don't think is clear unless you're playing it, but if any of that appeals to you and you haven't checked it out, go in blind and you'll get an experience like no other.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

I finished playing Etrian Odyssey Nexus a few weeks ago. It's a very long RPG and very rewarding throughout the game. There's about 20 different classes with deep skill trees that were tweaked from earlier games. My favorite memory is unlocking subclasses and spending hours looking at all the combinations I could use. It was a work night and I was just about to go to sleep but I ended up staying up until like 3am or something just being overwhelmed by all the options. Not surprisingly, I didn't go to work that day. Probably not worth it, but that customization needed to be done that night apparently

Fallout 2 is some of the most fun I've had playing a video game in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    New pile of things I've played/am playing:

Spoiler:
    Dark Souls III: I finally finished both real Dark Souls games and it was a bumpy road. A lot of ups and downs in terms of my impressions. My unpopular opinion is that Dark Souls 1 is the best looking game in the series and 3 is the worst. It's not just the greyness that does it for me, but the amount of low contrast details in the environment make the game so visually confusing. The graphics are high quality, but a lot of the compositions hurt my eyes. The gameplay is a lot more fun than Dark Souls 1 overall and it has me really engaged in the combat in a way DS1 never did. I still have complaints about a lot of the bosses having gimmicks and setups that are kind of unfair (fairness in this case meaning you can reasonably deal with it within the first few attempts, which things like hard to read telegraphs hurt), but on a second playthrough they're almost all pretty fun to fight. I really got in the swing of the difficulty at a certain point. My proudest accomplishment is that I beat Nameless King on basically my first try (I lost the first attempt almost immediately vs phase 1 so I don't count it so strongly). Still, despite the battle improvements, the world is so much less engaging than Lordran. The linearizaton of the game contributes to this for sure, but what I dislike the most is having to warp back to Firelink to level up (I know 2 did this with its hub too but I hoped they had walked that back). It really just takes me out of the moment and makes it harder for me to connect with or care about the world. My overall impression of Dark Souls as a whole is that it's a series of games that is best enjoyed by people who already like Dark Souls. The game's combat, exploration and lore all have issues on first exposure, but gain a lot of value when you really know what's up with them. I'll be moving to Bloodbourne and Sekiro after a short break and I'm looking forward to them!

Hylics 2: If you're the kind of person who likes Jodorowsky movies and "That Part of Youtube™" then boy is this the game series for you. I played the first game a while back after watching Vinesauce play it and it was a dip in a pool of mind blending psychedelia. Hylics 2, though, submerges completely in those waters. It is such a huge jump up in terms of production and quality that it makes the original look like a prototype. The sensory experience of this game is bizarre, unique and beautiful. The game itself is a turn-based RPG with overworld exploration that has just enough twists to keep the formula fresh. It's mostly there to deliver the rest of the experience, though, which must be seen to be believed. The battles skew to the more difficult side and the exploration can sometimes be confusing (esp in the 2D platforming segments) but the style and experience of it all makes the flaws worth sitting through.

Outer Wilds: Goddamn is this maybe my favorite game I've played in years? It feels so big and polished that in the middle I was questioning if this even was an indie game. It's a game of space archaeologist set in a small alien solar system filled with all sorts of mysteries to explore as you piece together the greater mysteries before the sun explodes, sending you back to the beginning of a Majora-esque time loop. I love the ways the game guides you without needing to guide you. You're free to explore everything from the beginning and any direction you go will have you finding interesting or important things, which give you clues pointing elsewhere in space, so you're hardly ever lost. From the beginning, you're armed with every tool you need besides the knowledge you'll learn as you explore, so there aren't really any dead ends. Space travel can feel wonky, but in a sorta realistic way and exploration is seamless without a need for loading screens. There's so much to appreciate and love about the game that I don't think is clear unless you're playing it, but if any of that appeals to you and you haven't checked it out, go in blind and you'll get an experience like no other.
    People drag on DS2 a lot but after replaying it a few times it has become one of the most unique to me. Not to mention the great DLC if you're playing the SOTFS Version.

Some bosses are defintely lacking, however and it may seem a little janky at first.

Quote Originally Posted by thegab View Post
    People drag on DS2 a lot but after replaying it a few times it has become one of the most unique to me. Not to mention the great DLC if you're playing the SOTFS Version.

Some bosses are defintely lacking, however and it may seem a little janky at first.
    I just really hated the feel of the game. I bought it for $10 so I figured I would take a chance on it and there are so many little things that add up, like the way that hits never sound like they connect, the absurd health pools of early enemies/bosses, the really tedious enemy placements, etc... I quit out when I fought the Pursuer, which was such a relentlessly boring fight that I couldn't deal with it. Matthewmatosis had a critique that the fights aren't necessarily hard, they're just so long and boring that it makes you want to take a shortcut and risk everything. When I saw further critiques of the game, it looked like the bad feelings I got from the beginning weren't going to get better throughout so I ditched it.

DS2 is my least favorite Fromsoft game, hell I disliked it the first time I played it. Replaying it a second time made me get a new appreciation for the game. Yes it has a lot of flaws and doesn't feel or look as good as the other games (90% of the bosses are a joke). There's a lot of weird but interesting mechanics and level designs that are refreshing in their originality, ideas that disappointingly were never reused for the other games. Also it cannot be understated the improvements to the franchise the game brought, things like using multiple items, power stancing, not getting kicked to NG+ after beating the game and fashion souls. Also the DLC is all stellar with fantastic, non linear interconnected level design that I'd put on the level of DS1 (Also some of the best bosses in the franchise, Fume Knight, Sir Alonne, Sinh the Slumbering Dragon and the Ivory King.)

As far as Dark Souls go, combat is the least interesting part to me. My major critique on the series is that difficulty and boss design are overrated in the series and lead to easily the worst moments in any of the games (not just because they're tough and induce salt in that way, but because of genuinely broken mechanics like the camera, lock-on, collisions/hitboxes, controls and poorly telegraphed attacks that you can't know how to deal with until they've killed you at least once). Considering Dark Souls 2 was largely made in the spirit of playing off the game's reputation for being difficult, it's no wonder I hated it almost immediately. It didn't really fix those issues because those were the franchise's bread and butter, and worked without much regard building the lore or exploration aspects up much. I can respect that 2 had some distinct locations, a cool hub, some streamlining and a few cool new ideas, but I have no patience for playing it at all. It also introduced the terrible mechanic of leveling up at the hub that apparently became standard in every subsequent From Software game and that is one major sin I cannot abide.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    As far as Dark Souls go, combat is the least interesting part to me. My major critique on the series is that difficulty and boss design are overrated in the series and lead to easily the worst moments in any of the games (not just because they're tough and induce salt in that way, but because of genuinely broken mechanics like the camera, lock-on, collisions/hitboxes, controls and poorly telegraphed attacks that you can't know how to deal with until they've killed you at least once). Considering Dark Souls 2 was largely made in the spirit of playing off the game's reputation for being difficult, it's no wonder I hated it almost immediately. It didn't really fix those issues because those were the franchise's bread and butter, and worked without much regard building the lore or exploration aspects up much. I can respect that 2 had some distinct locations, a cool hub, some streamlining and a few cool new ideas, but I have no patience for playing it at all. It also introduced the terrible mechanic of leveling up at the hub that apparently became standard in every subsequent From Software game and that is one major sin I cannot abide.
    That actually started in Demon's Souls though. Dark Souls just skipped it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information