+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35

Thread: The Simpsons

Default Re: The Simpsons

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Would/should other stereotypes be put under the microscope? Like Bumblebee Man?
    Bumblebee Man is actually specifically a caricature of a Mexican TV character "El Chapulin Colorado" ("The Red Grasshopper") so he's not even a stereotype in the first place.

And honestly, even with characters like Willie ("what about the WHITE stereotypes huh???") the problem really is as Robby pointed out that shows can't get away with these broad characters taking in shallow stereotypes nowadays, the Simpsons was really a product of a more ignorant time. You have to find more creative, less lazy ways to flesh out the humor besides focusing in broad strokes across marginalized/underrepresented groups (Diane Nguyen from Bojack is actually a good example of this, its own unfortunate whitewashing via Brie aside)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    The main problem the Simpsons has is that they introduced Apu THIRTY YEARS ago. The stereotype and joke was fine then
    No. It wasn't. That's the only quibble I had with your analysis. The rest was quite good.

I see people in the "everything's too PC nowadays" camp (including The Simpsons, apparently) make that mistake in logic all the time, and it irks me. It was not okay back then either--people were just able to suppress and ignore the dissent more easily. But that didn't make it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    He won't disobey if he dies, only if he dies when he dies!
    ***Because the madness that is AP Forums chapter discussions must not perish from the earth***

Don't forget BBTs constant transphobia too

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Sirxxx View Post
    No. It wasn't. That's the only quibble I had with your analysis. The rest was quite good.

I see people in the "everything's too PC nowadays" camp (including The Simpsons, apparently) make that mistake in logic all the time, and it irks me. It was not okay back then either--people were just able to suppress and ignore the dissent more easily. But that didn't make it right.
    I didn't say it was RIGHT. But the stereotype and joke was fine then... because no one knew it was a problem.

You can't hold old works to modern standards. You can be bothered by it, but when it legitimately is a product of it's time, it is what it is.

Huck Finn uses the word "Nigger" like 800 times. (And people used to have slaves! Gone with the Wind is hugely problematic but its still the most successful movie of all time) During WW2 Bugs Bunny and Superman fought really unfortunate Japanese people. Old cartoons have blackface. Basically everything in Revenge of the Nerds is completely awful and every one of those kids should be arrested. Basically all of the 90's was in a weird weird place when it came to gays in entertainmentm and the last 10 years ave been crazy for gay rights. And so on.

No, it's not right. Be it color, gender, orientation, hygiene, culture based. But the society WAS different then. The standards, the knowledge of people maybe being offended, the AWARENESS of things were different.

So yes, it was okay at the time. Even if it obviously isn't now. Because they just didn't know better. Nowadays we do.

Except maybe for all the people that voted Trump for president stuck in that older mindset.
    Last edited by Robby; April 12th, 2018 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachylad View Post
    Bumblebee Man is actually specifically a caricature of a Mexican TV character "El Chapulin Colorado" ("The Red Grasshopper") so he's not even a stereotype in the first place.
    hmmmm....luigi? cookie kwan maybe?

And honestly, even with characters like Willie ("what about the WHITE stereotypes huh???") the problem really is as Robby pointed out that shows can't get away with these broad characters taking in shallow stereotypes nowadays, the Simpsons was really a product of a more ignorant time. You have to find more creative, less lazy ways to flesh out the humor besides focusing in broad strokes across marginalized/underrepresented groups (Diane Nguyen from Bojack is actually a good example of this, its own unfortunate whitewashing via Brie aside)
    Right, generally "goofy" stereotypes are more seen as lazy ways of telling jokes these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Don't forget BBTs constant transphobia too
    Who's BBT? Or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Who's BBT? Or what?
    Big Bang Theory.

Oh lord. That show is all sorts of problematic.

Sure the show has always been playing with stereotypes.
    I've always had an issue with Apu's character for the same reasons that have been said in that documentary (or whatever it was). Except the dumb criticism about the voice actor being white

But no, I wasn't offended by Lisa's comment.
    At this instant, Byron was horseriding in front of us, and my lady could not, of all day, forget his appearance. I decided then not to hand this letter from Goethe to Byron, so much I was afraid of being cuckold. I regret it.
    --Arthur Schopenhauer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information