+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Simpsons

Exclamation The Simpsons

So let's discuss, are the Simpsons getting better? or worse?
    Last edited by Tony Tony Chopper; December 25th, 2011 at 10:07 AM.

It's going downhill, if you ask me.
    The writers kinda, well, suck.
    They've broken away from the formula:
    When was the last time Bart made a prank call to Moe?
    When did Lisa last play saxophone?
    Has Homer been to the power plant at all in the past couple seasons?

I would like to see The Simpsons return to their routine. The best episodes have plotlines occuring within their daily lives. Now, all too often, the family goes off on some wacky adventure that ends up trying too hard.

Pirate Age (Under Construction)

Vilda brings up great points. They no longer follow continuity now like they used to.

I remember when the show was at its height. For a couple of seasons, you saw the house where George Bush lived in the background. You saw the giant Olmec Head in the basement. The writers did a helluva job connecting everything. Now? It's a mess. The show started to go down hill around the time they killed off Maude. Was that really necessary?

To quote their "Behind the Laughter" episode, they have started to restort to nonsensical plots. How could Krusty, a guy with a rabbi for a father, never have his Bar Mitzvah? And how many episodes have we seen Moe try to replace Homer in some way? He takes care of Maggie, he starts dating Marge... doesn't he still own his bar?

People still watch because it's The Simpsons. They've been coasting by on name recognition for the past few years. It's a shame Futurama isn't on the air anymore because Groening was having fun with that.

Unfortunately, the Simpsons has just gone on way too long. It's now been bad for longer than it was good. When I was a kid, I never would have thought there would be a time when I wasn't eagerly sitting in front of the TV for each new episode, but alas....
    http://muertitos.comicgenesis.com - a webcomic for the deceased kid in you.

Discovered Stowaway

The Simpsons was never that great to begin with. But now...I don't even bother watching the episodes, who the hell cares? If I want to watch funny I watch Family Guy or South Park

Simpsons used to be funny and you all bring up great points.

Now these jokes are kinda sad. Cuz when they went to China...

they made 3 Dragons dancing and 1 of them were playing like a cello or something singing.... I wonder how long they are going to stay on? Maybe for another year or so... hopefully they will come up with better story lines.

The simpsons used to be my favorite show. I knew the name of ever character, the plot of every episode, and even owned the enclopedia (that thing that listed all the episodes and all the jokes). I regularly read the comics, and had every single episode on tape. However... over time, I got bored with it. The jokes weren't as funny as they used to be. I haven't seen a simpsons episode in 5 years. :/

It hasn't really changed in quality for me. I haven't seen a drop or rise in quality, honestly. It's just the same old Simpsons.

The show started to go down hill around the time they killed off Maude. Was that really necessary?
    Yes, it was. Maggie Roswell (Maude Flanders, Miss. Hoover, Luanne VanHouten, among others) couldn't do the show regularly/at all, due to living in Denver, CO. She found it a hassle to fly up every week to CA, so she called it quits. Since Maude was the character that showed up most, they killer her off. If you notice, a few episodes AND teh episode where she died, Tress MacNielle did her voice. Maggie Roswell HAS come back for a few episodes since then to do Miss. Hoover and Luanne, and in one Halloween episode, Maude.

And as far as The Simpson's quality goes: Give them a break! They're nearing TWENTY SEASONS! Do you know how much of an accomplishment that is? NO SHOW. NO SHOW can be perfect if you're on tv that long. You'll have ups and downs. Personally, this season so far has been really great! As a matter of fact, there have only been one or two disappointing episodes that I've seen. I go back and rewatch episodes all the time and when you do that, you realize how many jokes you miss. There's so many little things. It may seem like slapstick humor a lot, but you have to LISTEN TO THE DIALOGUE. Those who say they've lost their touch are crazy.
    buttcheeks

Originally posted by RoboBlue@Mar 14 2005, 12:38 PM
    The simpsons used to be my favorite show. I knew the name of ever character, the plot of every episode, and even owned the enclopedia (that thing that listed all the episodes and all the jokes). I regularly read the comics, and had every single episode on tape. However... over time, I got bored with it. The jokes weren't as funny as they used to be. I haven't seen a simpsons episode in 5 years. :/
    [snapback]14897[/snapback]
    You summed up my view on the Simpsons perfectly. The last episode I saw was the Superbowl episode, which was hillarious but the others are stale. Thank god the new Simpsons are better then other follow ups to other successes.
    *coughepisodeonecough*

Sig made by AngelzRfalling.
    Gary "Iceman" Martin. RIP.

I Just watched Lisas Rival today. A classic episode with a relevant plot and great jokes. Sure, Homer had a crazy sugar experiment and was very stupid the entire episode-but the jokes were good, especially when the bees stung Homer.
    "AAHH! The bees! They're defending themselves somehow!"
    And the scene with Skinner and the Star Wars figures was priceless.

Then, I compare it to "The regina monologues" of the fifteenth seasons, an excellent example of a crazy adventure. "Were out of plot ideas! Let's send them to a different country and use Local guest stars!"
    Granted, some of the newer episodes are okay-I liked Moe Baby Blues- but, like already stated, the writers don't connect the episodes any more. One episode Moe says "suddenly life ain't so hard no more", ½season later he's about to commit suicide for no apparent reason.

Arrgh, I wish Futurama was still here...
    If anyone needs me, I'll be in the angry dome!

I remember saying what I thought a while back, and let me say this; I grew up loving the Simpsons, and now it's like your best friend started acting weird or something so you haven't spoken to each other in a while, and then you find out said friend is dying. Something like that.

the bigot who thinks being an asshole is actually worth shit

I thought The Simpsons were on the decline since Sherry Bobbins and that was Season 8. I would say Seasons 4-6 were the "Golden Years" of the Simpsons, with 7, 8, and 9 putting out pretty good episodes, but by that time all the great writers started leaving and that was that. :(

Edited to Add: If I really had to pinpoint a spot where I said, man the Simpsons just aren't that funny anymore I would say the end of Season 10 when they go to Tokyo
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    - Ellen Goodman

Originally posted by The Dude@Mar 14 2005, 11:47 AM

And as far as The Simpson's quality goes: Give them a break! They're nearing TWENTY SEASONS! Do you know how much of an accomplishment that is? NO SHOW. NO SHOW can be perfect if you're on tv that long. You'll have ups and downs. Personally, this season so far has been really great! As a matter of fact, there have only been one or two disappointing episodes that I've seen. I go back and rewatch episodes all the time and when you do that, you realize how many jokes you miss. There's so many little things. It may seem like slapstick humor a lot, but you have to LISTEN TO THE DIALOGUE. Those who say they've lost their touch are crazy.
    [snapback]14932[/snapback]

by the 20th season the episodes will be just sad... <_<

Sorry for db posting. but i&#39;ve been watching the older episodes.. and at that time.. they had better jokes. Right now, they are just desperate for new jokes and epiosodes.

Sorry for the bump, but I am a hugh Simpsons fan. I was going to create a new Simpsons thread, but not if there's already one. I just want to continue this.

The show only sucks now because of the new writers. They just don't fit. They seem to have a fasination with giving Maggie doing human emotions. If they wanted to make her interesting, they should have made her talk by now. I haven't seen a lot of the episodes that were mentioned earlier. There's was a period where I hated the new episodes so much that I didn't tune in on Sunday.

I've been keeping track of the upcoming Simpsons movie. Thank god, it will be animated. Kelsey Grammer is rumored to be in it, although nothing has been confirmed if he will be playing Sideshow Bob. Also, the movie is set for a 2008 release date. I'm hoping Matt Groening decides to call up the better writers to do this film.

Acording to rumor, Sideshow Bob and Burns try to kill Bart and kill the family. Bart tries to go back in time to stop it but ends up in Futurama.

Sig made by AngelzRfalling.
    Gary "Iceman" Martin. RIP.

If that becomes true, it means Groening got even worse writers for the movie. Also, that storyline sounds like something that's more likely to appear in a Treehouse of Horror episode.

Mr. Burns shouldn't be a villain in the movie. Although evil, he's isn't a villain. Just self-centered and maybe sadistic. Besides, Bob's "grown a custom to Bart's face". (:eviltongu)

oh god no not a cross over movie:afraid: please let that just be a rumor,

Haven't watched The Simpsons in awhile, I just think it's lost it's edge too much and isn't half the show it used to be. Shows like Family Guy are so much better right now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information