+ Reply to Thread
Page 327 of 327 FirstFirst ... 227 277 317 325 326 327
Results 6,521 to 6,537 of 6537

Thread: Doctor Who

Default Re: Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    In Hartnell it worked because he was an old man so they needed some young guy to do all the action stuff, and the girls were there to be educated and to scream, and he was much more playing the role of school teacher.
    Barbara was not there to scream and be educated, she was a teacher and often was the one putting the Doctor in his place, and he seemed to respect her opinions a lot more than Ian!

But I digress, I am just in the mind set of wait and see, we really don't know if all three of those characters are going to be traveling, the older guy could be more like Wilf.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    Barbara was not there to scream and be educated, she was a teacher and often was the one putting the Doctor in his place, and he seemed to respect her opinions a lot more than Ian!
    I was paraphrasing the role that basically every female companion since has had, I wasn't really meaning to single out Barbara specifically.

Barbara was again the format of the early show. And when it had a much more education geared goal. Nowadays the doctor has the role of royal smart person at this point, and the action hero, so doesn't need sidekicks filling those roles. One companion to ask questions and get into trouble fills the need pretty well. Whenever they add more someone starts getting left in the Tardis. Or in Rory's case, dying every episode to upset Amy.

I was paraphrasing the role that basically every female companion since has had, I wasn't really meaning to single out Barbara specifically.

Barbara was again the format of the early show. And when it had a much more education geared goal. Nowadays the doctor has the role of royal smart person at this point, and the action hero, so doesn't need sidekicks filling those roles.
    Right. And they can once again create a new format of the show that makes older ones obsolete.

https://twitter.com/DoctorWho_BBCA/s...08999859281921

Jodie Whittakerís Doctor Costume revealed. & the first thing I think of is Steve Urkel.
    Last edited by Hayama; November 9th, 2017 at 08:09 AM.

It's kind of a weird outfit. But you know what? It's Doctor-ey.

Feels a bit like a mix between 2 and 5's outfit.
    Last edited by Robby; November 9th, 2017 at 08:26 AM.

It's kind of a weird outfit. But you know what? It's Doctor-ey.
    It is, though? It's weird in a way the doctor's have been, but it's by far the greatest outlier in terms of the doctor's outfits. The 9th's was a lot different, but my headcanon was that it was something a doctor might wear in the midst of a war. This seems strange for the sake of it and doesn't really look like she's the doctor, which is weird since it borrows from some of their costumes. Maybe it's the lack of a collar and it'll look better zipped up? I don't know, it's just a bit unformal. More like what a character in an anime set in England might wear than the Doctor.

It's comfortable and its a mishmash and its got a coat jacket. It's doctor-ey. 4 had a giant scarf, 5 had a piece of celery, 6 had a rainbow and 9 was just a t-shirt in a leather jacket. The pants are comfey like what 1 and 2 had. Practical shoes.

It's a casual shot. The actual shirt and pants will probably change between episodes. And its the first time he's been a woman, I'd hope they wouldn't just stuff her in a suit and tie.

9 is the best comparison, for sure, but he doesn't look like a child (maybe child is a horrible word to use. She reminds me more of a Jojo's character than from Doctor Who, though, which maybe isn't a bad thing, lol). I hope it looks much better with a little time to get used to it, but not feeling it at the moment.
    Last edited by andre; November 9th, 2017 at 09:07 AM.

I really hope she thrives in the role. I'm excited to see what a new showrunner can do with the series. I remember how distinctly different Moffats first season felt like. I hope chibnall will be the same and we can get something distinct from him. RTD never wrote a single episode for Moffats era, why? I hope this doesn't mean that Moffat won't write one or two episodes for the new doctor. He's good at one off episodes and it would be interesting to see how he'd handle the new doctor.

I love Capaldi but unforutnately his tenure coincided with my waning interest and love for the series. I hope Whittaker can ignite that interest for me. I want to love Doctor Who again god damnit.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Comparisons to old pieces. In particular noting 11 also has suspenders and boots, 4's scarf is incorporated into the shirt, and the jacket is like a 10 length version of 7, all while wearing 2's pants.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/20...ostume-outfit/

And there's already fanart!
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...w-13th-doctor/
    Last edited by Robby; November 9th, 2017 at 01:05 PM.

Mork was the first thing I thought of. :)

After thinking about it for the day and looking at the fan art, I think they have chosen something very iconic and appropriate. Only thing I'm not quite sure about is the pants.

That was always my issue with the Fifth doctor too XD

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

She'd look about 10 times better if the coat had proper collar support. The fact it doesn't rise to build her neck is jarring, so much so the fan-arts have tweaked it to look more like Sherlock's coat.
    -_- o_o O_O ...Agree to disagree sounds about right. Holy moly.
    I'm such a bad person

It's ugly as sin and lazy to boot. At least the Old Who Doctors' weird get ups had personality like the people who chose the costumes had fun mixing and matching weird colorful designs. This just looks like a cynical attempt to mimic their looks with none of the fun or joy.
    Check out my tumblr for my thoughts on random movies and manga^^

http://lion-kun.tumblr.com/

I personally would have liked some kind of 80's leather jacket like 9 for her.

Hidden:

I thought her shirt looked familiar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    She'd look about 10 times better if the coat had proper collar support. The fact it doesn't rise to build her neck is jarring, so much so the fan-arts have tweaked it to look more like Sherlock's coat.
    Well, if her reveal is anything to go by, it might be a built in hoodie rather than a collar.

As someone who loved the Sixth and Seventh Doctor's attires for being larger than life and full of personality and hating the new who doctor's clothes for being bland and generic, I approve of these duds.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information