+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Luffy's scar.

Default Luffy's scar.

I recall reading somewhere that the explanation as to why Luffy got a scar under his left eye was left out of the anime. As someone who started reading the manga at about chapter 300, can someone fill me in as to how he got his scar?

I do plan on reading all of the manga, I just have very little time.

"Don't believe in yourself, believe in me who believes in you."

Default Re: Luffy's scar.

read the very very first chapter.

TO-- LER-- ATE LAMBO!

Chapter 1, Luffy cuts himself to show he is not scared of being hurt, so Shanks would take him out to sea. Didn't work, just gave Luffy the scar.

In chapter 1, 10 years before the event of One Piece. 7 years old Luffy wanted Shanks to take him on his adventure but Shanks refused. Tired of being taken lightly, Luffy stood on Shanks' ship's figurehead with a dagger in his hand and cried out that he will show them how tough he is. He stabbed the bottem of his right eye, thinking foolishly that it would get Shanks to take him seriously but fails once again(Shanks was mad at him for that).

In the anime, it was skipped by Toei in fear that Japanese children will do the same thing so they left it a mystery. We never saw Luffy's scar during the anime flashback, even while Higuma is messing around with him. The anime flashback ended and kid Luffy still don't have the scar.

We never saw Luffy at age 17 departed from his village in the anime, we never saw him beat the sea king, we never saw him discuss about his journey and how many crew he needs, we never saw him get suck in the whirlpool. That tells me Toei skipped all of that just to keep the origin of Luffy's scar a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by immelmann
    read the very very first chapter.
    yeah the third page infact, you don't have to go far XD
    For with a closing door, another surely opens
    Just you wait and see,
    And when you look back on where we've been together
    Wherever you may be
    I hope that you remember me

Quote Originally Posted by Quexinos
    yeah the third page infact, you don't have to go far XD
    .........yes you do.

:One And The Same: Renton Thurston's Avatar

And for a visual:

ADC-Elites--Kaizoku-Fansubs-Gerusama

-----------------Balkongo-Fansubs------------

Renton Thurston FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second
    In chapter 1, 10 years before the event of One Piece. 7 years old Luffy wanted Shanks to take him on his adventure but Shanks refused. Tired of being taken lightly, Luffy stood on Shanks' ship's figurehead with a dagger in his hand and cried out that he will show them how tough he is. He stabbed the bottem of his right eye, thinking foolishly that it would get Shanks to take him seriously but fails once again(Shanks was mad at him for that).

In the anime, it was skipped by Toei in fear that Japanese children will do the same thing so they left it a mystery. We never saw Luffy's scar during the anime flashback, even while Higuma is messing around with him. The anime flashback ended and kid Luffy still don't have the scar.

We never saw Luffy at age 17 departed from his village in the anime, we never saw him beat the sea king, we never saw him discuss about his journey and how many crew he needs, we never saw him get suck in the whirlpool. That tells me Toei skipped all of that just to keep the origin of Luffy's scar a secret.
    Thats why they skipped it?! Omg, thats as sad as 4kids. Guess thats why the kid hit Conis with a tomato instead of a rock too. Cause they think that would encourage kids to throw rocks at people.

And for a visual

Holly sh*t, if luffy had really pushed this knife so deep, he would have been more badly wounded.

Look at that, the knife is pushed inside Lufy's flesh by at least 5 centimeters. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by castel

Holly sh*t, if luffy had really pushed this knife so deep, he would have been more badly wounded.

Look at that, the knife is pushed inside Lufy's flesh by at least 5 centimeters. ^^
    *DON* we finally know why Luffy is an idiot! He braindamaged himself!

He braindamaged himself!
    Hmmmm, that explains a lot of things.........^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prince
    .........yes you do.
    are you being sarcastic? Do you really think reading 3 pages is long?
    For with a closing door, another surely opens
    Just you wait and see,
    And when you look back on where we've been together
    Wherever you may be
    I hope that you remember me

I don't actually mind the decision to omit the eye stabbing thing. Luffy's scar is not such a significant part of his developement that I really care. Also I really can rationally see that as not a good thing. I mean its one thing to omit a stab wound becuase its too graphic. Thats a cop out. But when there is such a eminently copyable act as that (I want to be just like LUFFY!) editing it ain't that bad.

The whole rocks thing is a far on the wuss side. I mean any anime that has luffy climbing the drum rockies on his bloody stumps shouldn't have an issue with an odd tossed rock, and unlike the scar scene the rock throwing is indicative of a mindset and really sets a tone. So it is a loss to not know about it.

Finally, I actually liked the introduction that Toei gave OP. Their first chapter was very much better designed. Luffy popping out of that barrel is an classic moment that defines him quite well. In addtion the Nami Sightings are a good thing prior to her appearance in the Buggy arc.
    <<under construction>>

dragonnick

He stabbed the bottem of his right eye, thinking foolishly...
    It's actually his left eye.

Not sure if this helps... but Toei might've thought about the scar and decided to have him receive a scar from Higuma.

Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2

Update: Also, read this, find out why the anime started with an Alvida episode: http://www.thegrandline.com/creativetalk.html (From Greg's site!)
    Last edited by Cinder; August 16th, 2006 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboy
    I don't actually mind the decision to omit the eye stabbing thing. Luffy's scar is not such a significant part of his developement that I really care. Also I really can rationally see that as not a good thing. I mean its one thing to omit a stab wound becuase its too graphic. Thats a cop out. But when there is such a eminently copyable act as that (I want to be just like LUFFY!) editing it ain't that bad.

The whole rocks thing is a far on the wuss side. I mean any anime that has luffy climbing the drum rockies on his bloody stumps shouldn't have an issue with an odd tossed rock, and unlike the scar scene the rock throwing is indicative of a mindset and really sets a tone. So it is a loss to not know about it.

Finally, I actually liked the introduction that Toei gave OP. Their first chapter was very much better designed. Luffy popping out of that barrel is an classic moment that defines him quite well. In addtion the Nami Sightings are a good thing prior to her appearance in the Buggy arc.
    "Looks at the signiture pic of a dead guy with a knife impaled on his back"

Yea, it's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buuhan1
    Thats why they skipped it?! Omg, thats as sad as 4kids. Guess thats why the kid hit Conis with a tomato instead of a rock too. Cause they think that would encourage kids to throw rocks at people.
    Well the intentions are similar to 4Kids, but at least I can see where Toei is coming from. Cutting out a kid stabbing himself to prove he is brave is a lot more reasonable than turning guns into 'super soakers'.

Man..looking at the picture makes me cringe ><"" Silly little Luffy.

- : | Signature and Avatar by me | : -

Xetalimn_Erket

"Sound in a manga cannot compare to an anime". -Oda (prph.)

Pff, Toei's library of sounds is so pathetically small, I'm willing to say manga sounds are superior. Oda might be right if Toei had a fraction of the material I own, but there's no way the same "DBZ electricity" or "drip drip" sound effects are appropriate for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Quexinos
    are you being sarcastic? Do you really think reading 3 pages is long?
    yes I am being sarcastic.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information