Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zoro vs. Shanks?

Rekka1210

Default Zoro vs. Shanks?

Do you think this could be a possible fight? Zoro and Shanks could like spar or something to see if Zoro would stand a chance against Mihawk. I could see that happening later on in the story.

pirateslife4me

Default Re: Zoro vs. Shanks?

That'd be pretty sweet...

Yep. Even though Shanks would hand Zoro his butt cheeks.

The only way I could see that happening is if it wasn't a serious fight, and it was in order to teach Zoro the secret to defeating Mihawk, something Shanks knew how to do, without having the ability as a swordsman to take advantage of (whereas Zoro would).

I'm definetly agree with Refii, I think Shanks might train Zoro a bit for his fight with Mihawk. I also think that Shanks isn't someone Zoro is going to have to defeat to become the strongest swordsman. I'd like to see Shanks teach him how to do something like cutting the elements or a way to avoid the swords in his hands from being destroyed again.

What Refii said, Shanks is a Captain so if they do go up against the mugiwara it's gonna be shanks vs luffy, backman vs zoro, roo vs sanji. but if it was a sparring thing, then i could see Shanks handing Zoro his arse and then losing on purpose.

Dog does not approve. onemoment's Avatar

Hey, has anyone considered that maybe Shanks is not strong, and that he's just a good captain who has collected the best pirate crew in the world. Kind of like Lupin the 3rd. It seems possible since, whatever power that Shanks possesses, couldn't stop that Sea King in any other way but losing his arm (though then there that thing that Shanks did with his eyes...).

Though, if he is a swordsman, I could see some possible conflict between Zoro and Luffy. Zoro will want to fight him, being a swordsman, and Luffy won't like that. A fight will break out, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoment
    Hey, has anyone considered that maybe Shanks is not strong, and that he's just a good captain who has collected the best pirate crew in the world. Kind of like Lupin the 3rd. It seems possible since, whatever power that Shanks possesses, couldn't stop that Sea King in any other way but losing his arm (though then there that thing that Shanks did with his eyes...).

I think the chances of that ahppening is around :

.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000001 %

I mean he would have to actually become weaker for that to happen. As He used to spar with Mihawk himself.

Honestly, I've always pictured Shanks fightings as a mix of Sanji and Zoro, with some swordsmanship and some martial arts mixed kicks all in one

And for some really strange reason, I had a strange dream once where Shanks particular style of martial arts was that of a Drunken Master.

Honestly though, I think he isn't purely swordsmanship, or purely martial arts, or purely anything, but he's probably a bit of a jack of all trades in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by odlam
    Honestly, I've always pictured Shanks fightings as a mix of Sanji and Zoro, with some swordsmanship and some martial arts mixed all in one

Swordmanship is considered a martial art. But I see what you mean, and I agree.

I think his main fighting style is something else, and his sword is for certian moves. So he'd keep his blade sheathed most of the fight, but a few times here and there he would take it out and do a special move.

~~~

As for the actual topic, I don't think so. The REdHairs just don't seem like they'd fight anyone from Luffy's crew unless there was a really good reaon.

Shanks RIVALED the greatest swordsman in One Piece. It is obvious that his sword is his main skill set.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomenol
    Shanks RIVALED the greatest swordsman in One Piece. It is obvious that his sword is his main skill set.
    And yet he isn't the greatest swordsman in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Octogon
    And yet he isn't the greatest swordsman in the world.
    That is not the point.

Shanks being able to RIVAL the greatest speaks highly about his sword skills.

Ya, it says they are good, but Shanks may not consider himself to be a swordsman. Just because he spars with Mihawk, doesn't mean it's purely in swordsmanship. If his fighting style is more of a hybrid or uses other powers in addition to his sword, he could still spar with Mihawk and not fall under the swordsman category anymore than Spandam does.

That or maybe he simply sparred, and lost. Just because they sparred doesn't mean they were equal. Even if there was only a fraction of a difference in power, maybe Mihawk is simply stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomenol
    That is not the point.

Of course it does. But that odoesn't imply that a sword is Shank's main fightingg style. It's clear Mihawk > Shanks in swordmanship. I would say more, but odlam already covered everything.

Ya, it says they are good, but Shanks may not consider himself to be a swordsman. Just because he spars with Mihawk, doesn't mean it's purely in swordsmanship. If his fighting style is more of a hybrid or uses other powers in addition to his sword, he could still spar with Mihawk and not fall under the swordsman category anymore than Spandam does.
    Uh.. Shanks sword is most likely his skill set. He may throw a few kicks and punches but he is a swordsman in the world of One Piece, Rivaling Mihawk automatically tells you that he is one of the world's best.

That or maybe he simply sparred, and lost. Just because they sparred doesn't mean they were equal. Even if there was only a fraction of a difference in power, maybe Mihawk is simply stronger.
    No, the Red Data book sayd they sparred "frequently." Mihawk seems to be the greater I agree but Shanks is not that far off they could have been equal's.

Anyway, what it says in the red data book:

本来左ききであるシャンクスはかつて、右の腰に長剣を携えていた。 ミホークとライバルだった 過去からみて も、その剣の実力は世界でもトップクラスだ ったのだろう

"At first, the left-handed Shanks had simply carried his sword on the right side. When he was a rival of Mihawk, he was regarded as having some of the world's top-class skills"

As an addendum to that, Shanks carries a longsword. It is obvious that he is a swordsman.

As far as Shank's fight style, I always imagined it was something along the lines of Jack Sparrow.

And Mihawk would of course be Will Turner (minus the whole Orlando Bloom thing), so he's a better swordsman, but since Jack is a more experienced fighter, he can match him.

I'd love for Shanks to pull out some Devil May Cry gun-sword action on some bad guy's butt.

@ Phenomenol: You have the databooks?

Dog does not approve. onemoment's Avatar

If Shanks is a swordsman, then that means that he is most likely weaker now, or at least weaker then Mihawk. If he's this strong guy that everyone says he is, then he most likely has a fighting style that doesn't require an arm.

....or, after Shanks lost his arm he did become weaker, hence causing some Luffy/Shanks drama.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoment
    ....or, after Shanks lost his arm he did become weaker, hence causing some Luffy/Shanks drama.
    I believe Oda said shanks didn't become any weaker from losing his arm.

I said it before, I think his sword is a secondary style.

Closed Thread

Thread Information