+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Favorite One Piece Fight Choreography

  1. #1

    Default Favorite One Piece Fight Choreography

    So what's your favorite fight in One Piece?
    One Piece has pretty good action scenes, but Oda seems to love backflips. Look at how many there are!
    Luffy vs Kuro - Chapter 36
    Spoiler:

    Sanji vs Gin - Chapter 60
    Spoiler:

    Luffy vs Crocodile Round 1 -Chapter 177
    Spoiler:

    Sanji vs on Kurei - Chapter 187/188
    ^(Sort of? One in both chapters. )
    Spoiler:


    Zoro vs Daz Bones - Chapter 194
    Spoiler:

    Zoro vs Braham - Chapter 258, 259
    Spoiler:


    Luffy vs Wiper - Chapter 260
    Spoiler:

    Luffy vs Blueno -Chapter 385
    Spoiler:

    Zoro vs Kaku - Chapter 401
    Spoiler:

    Luffy vs Lucci - Chapter 421
    Spoiler:

    Brook vs Ryuma - Chapter 459
    Spoiler:

    Luffy vs Mihawk - Chapter 561
    Spoiler:

    Luffy vs(sort of) Smoker - Chapter 670
    Spoiler:

    Smoker vs Vergo- Chapter 684
    Spoiler:

    Last edited by Ordinary; July 28th, 2014 at 05:19 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    Yeah, Oda's fight choreography is very good.

    I can't see this thread living for very long though, champ.

    Maybe if you made it your favourite instances of fighting choreography in One Piece, rather than nailing it down to backflips?
    "A naked man has few secrets, a flayed man has none." - House Bolton

  3. #3

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    Maybe it's just me, but i think Oda used to be way more creative at fight choreography...his early, Toriyama-esque action panels was one of the things that made me a fan of One Piece.
    In recent years, most of the time it leaves something to be desired.

  4. #4
    Carcharodon Piledriver! Crossword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Out there

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    Luffy vs. Blueno is one of my favorite fights due to how well it was choreographed. The fighting's suffered a bit in recent years as Oda's moved away from hand-to-hand in favor of high-speed movement and Gear Second Jet spam, but every once in a while he shows that he's still got it, like that brief dust up between Luffy and the two Doflamingos a couple chapters ago.
    ~Stargazer~, an original story.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

  5. #5

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    Smoker vs Vergo had an awesome flow. It at least shows Oda can still think of and draw a good hand to hand fight.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Luffy vs. Blueno is one of my favorite fights due to how well it was choreographed. The fighting's suffered a bit in recent years as Oda's moved away from hand-to-hand in favor of high-speed movement and Gear Second Jet spam, but every once in a while he shows that he's still got it, like that brief dust up between Luffy and the two Doflamingos a couple chapters ago.
    We'll get that soon enough, especially when all the plot moving stuff stops.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    Mr. 9 also did some backflips when he was fighting Zoro. Or was that just an anime thing?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    Ussop's backflip away from Enel was my favorite.
    Spoiler:


    Ugh. Stupid Youtube. It stars around the 2 min marker.

    ~My Harem, S-Rank~



  9. #9

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by RobZilla View Post
    Yeah, Oda's fight choreography is very good.

    I can't see this thread living for very long though, champ.

    Maybe if you made it your favourite instances of fighting choreography in One Piece, rather than nailing it down to backflips?
    Yeah, this thread might not last very long.

    I started this thread with only wanting to point out this pattern, but you do have a good point.

    Do you think I should ask a mod to re name it?
    Last edited by Ordinary; July 28th, 2014 at 04:11 AM. Reason: By the way, thanks for bumping it! I don't think anyone would have replied without you getting the ball rolling

  10. #10

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary View Post
    Yeah, this thread might not last very long.

    I started this thread with only wanting to point out this pattern, but you do have a good point.

    Do you think I should ask a mod to re name it?
    Yeah, ask one of the mods to rename it and edit the first post to be more open and we'll have a good thread here.

    Haha, no problem when it comes to the bumping. I could see you had a basis for a good thread here, just doing my bit for the AP community lol
    "A naked man has few secrets, a flayed man has none." - House Bolton

  11. #11

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary View Post
    So what's your favorite fight in One Piece?
    One Piece has pretty good action scenes, but Oda seems to love backflips. Look at how many there are!
    Luffy vs Kuro - Chapter 36

    Sanji vs Gin - Chapter 60

    Luffy vs Crocodile Round 1 -Chapter 177

    Sanji vs on Kurei - Chapter 187/188
    ^(Sort of? One in both chapters. )

    Zoro vs Daz Bones - Chapter 194

    Zoro vs Braham - Chapter 258, 259

    Luffy vs Wiper - Chapter 260

    Luffy vs Blueno -Chapter 385

    Zoro vs Kaku - Chapter 401

    Luffy vs Lucci - Chapter 421

    Brook vs Ryuma - Chapter 459

    Luffy vs Mihawk - Chapter 561

    Luffy vs(sort of) Smoker - Chapter 670

    Smoker vs Vergo- Chapter 684

    Just to point out some of those pics posted don't seem like backflips, especially the last 1 seems like just a matrix type duck, and an attack to remove Smoker from attacking, and calmly just getting back up?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Luffy vs. Blueno is one of my favorite fights due to how well it was choreographed. The fighting's suffered a bit in recent years as Oda's moved away from hand-to-hand in favor of high-speed movement and Gear Second Jet spam, but every once in a while he shows that he's still got it, like that brief dust up between Luffy and the two Doflamingos a couple chapters ago.
    He's especially been doing this a lot with Zoro, but it's hard to incorporate variety with a swordsman like him. Most of his diversity depends on who his opponent is. Smoker V Vergo was very well done though.

  13. #13
    The laziest man on Mars. Dark-King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Selegna Sol

    Default Re: Favorite One Piece Fight Choreography

    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary View Post
    So what's your favorite fight in One Piece?
    One Piece has pretty good action scenes, but Oda seems to love backflips. Look at how many there are!
    Luffy vs Kuro - Chapter 36
    Spoiler:

    Sanji vs Gin - Chapter 60
    Spoiler:

    Luffy vs Crocodile Round 1 -Chapter 177
    Spoiler:

    Sanji vs on Kurei - Chapter 187/188
    ^(Sort of? One in both chapters. )
    Spoiler:


    Zoro vs Daz Bones - Chapter 194
    Spoiler:

    Zoro vs Braham - Chapter 258, 259
    Spoiler:


    Luffy vs Wiper - Chapter 260
    Spoiler:

    Luffy vs Blueno -Chapter 385
    Spoiler:

    Zoro vs Kaku - Chapter 401
    Spoiler:

    Luffy vs Lucci - Chapter 421
    Spoiler:

    Brook vs Ryuma - Chapter 459
    Spoiler:

    Luffy vs Mihawk - Chapter 561
    Spoiler:

    Luffy vs(sort of) Smoker - Chapter 670
    Spoiler:

    Smoker vs Vergo- Chapter 684
    Spoiler:







    You pretty much called out all of them. At least all the ones I would have mentioned immediately. All of Skypeia was brilliant. You seem to like a lot of the evasions and dodges, but I hear you, Oda conveys these ideas really well.

    A few honorable mentions:
    Chopper Vs. Geddatsu
    Zoro Vs. Ohm
    Robin Vs. Yama
    Zoro Vs. Ryuma!!
    Sanji Vs. Jabura
    Luffy Vs. Franky Vs. Gallery-La
    And the greatest fight in One Piece History............. Usopp Vs. Chu!!!!!
    "Me lurk you long time"

  14. #14
    Discovered Stowaway Supernova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Breast of Nami's

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    I would disagree his current fight choropgrahy is thousand times better.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Favorite One Piece Fight Choreography

    Man, that Water 7 art <3

  16. #16

    Default Re: Backflips in One Piece

    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Smoker vs Vergo had an awesome flow. It at least shows Oda can still think of and draw a good hand to hand fight.
    Heh, I couldn't agree more on that one. It was very well done indeed, as well as the Lucci vs Luffy fight (although I like the anime version of that fight more).
    ****THE NICO ROBIN: ROKUSHIKI PROJECT****
    Go here for the project and here for the thread! (UPDATE 7/5/14)
    ****THE HUAQUANDAO STYLE PROJECT***
    Go here or here (UPDATE 05/10/14)
    My Shadow Blossom fanfic (Ch.4 is UP!)

  17. #17
    Discovered Stowaway kouch_lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Barcelona

    Default Re: Favorite One Piece Fight Choreography

    Fight coreography was at its peak during Skypiea - W7 - Ennies Lobby, but it was good from the very East Blue arcs. Vs Kuro was already great, and it's vintage One Piece. After EL, Thriller Bark had some neat stuff, mainly the teamwork against Oars, but the 1 on 1's weren't on the same level (and the only fleshed out 1 vs 1 we really got was Ryuma vs. Zoro, since the rest were either too short or too one sided to be called a 1 on 1).

    After that, Sabaody - ID - Marineford - FI fights have either been too short or based on very powerful hits, so the sense of flow Oda had going for as early as East Blue is not the same right now.

    Still, honorary mentions for the awesome Luffy vs. Magellan, probably one of the best fights, and pretty fleshed out. Gorgon Sisters was very cool before Gear Second (then it was a curbstomp), and post time skip the best stuff was during Punk Hazard. Very short fights, but with hints of good old times coreography, specially the short but extra sweet Smoker vs. Vergo, having all the sweetass taste of olde (though I gotta say at times things get a bit wonky, or at least a couple of beats weirdly break the flow of the fights. Like this scene. It kinda. . .didn't go well with the flow of that otherwise pretty decent fight. Weird).

    Dressrosa hasn't featured a single long enough fight to be considered, well, a fight. And it seems we're mostly back to power punching / power slashing, with not that much back-and-forth, dodge-counter-block-counter flavour we used to have. Let's see if the final fights have some of that!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Favorite One Piece Fight Choreography

    Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    Fight coreography was at its peak during Skypiea - W7 - Ennies Lobby, but it was good from the very East Blue arcs. Vs Kuro was already great, and it's vintage One Piece. After EL, Thriller Bark had some neat stuff, mainly the teamwork against Oars, but the 1 on 1's weren't on the same level (and the only fleshed out 1 vs 1 we really got was Ryuma vs. Zoro, since the rest were either too short or too one sided to be called a 1 on 1).

    After that, Sabaody - ID - Marineford - FI fights have either been too short or based on very powerful hits, so the sense of flow Oda had going for as early as East Blue is not the same right now.

    Still, honorary mentions for the awesome Luffy vs. Magellan, probably one of the best fights, and pretty fleshed out. Gorgon Sisters was very cool before Gear Second (then it was a curbstomp), and post time skip the best stuff was during Punk Hazard. Very short fights, but with hints of good old times coreography, specially the short but extra sweet Smoker vs. Vergo, having all the sweetass taste of olde (though I gotta say at times things get a bit wonky, or at least a couple of beats weirdly break the flow of the fights. Like this scene. It kinda. . .didn't go well with the flow of that otherwise pretty decent fight. Weird).

    Dressrosa hasn't featured a single long enough fight to be considered, well, a fight. And it seems we're mostly back to power punching / power slashing, with not that much back-and-forth, dodge-counter-block-counter flavour we used to have. Let's see if the final fights have some of that!
    I'd agree with pretty much all of that.

    Kuro running up Luffy's arm during their fight is still a favourite of mine.

    In terms of Dresrosa, the only nice piece of fight choreography we've really seen is Doffy & Clone Doffy Vs. Luffy.
    "A naked man has few secrets, a flayed man has none." - House Bolton

  19. #19
    Keep trollin' Baby! Kishido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Favorite One Piece Fight Choreography

    I would say Sanji vs Gin or Mr 2.

  20. #20
    Discovered Stowaway Pinelark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Illinois

    Default Re: Favorite One Piece Fight Choreography

    As most people have pointed out, we've seen a real shift in the way fights have been dealt with since Enies Lobby. Fights have gone from being about the fight choreography to more about who gets the most powerful hit in.

    To be fair this was important during Impel Down and Marineford to demonstrate just how weakened/out of his league Luffy was getting. And during Fishman Island it was important to show the Strawhats as power houses.

    We've seen hints of the old style coming back though as the Strawhats and other characters begin finding opponents of similar power, Smoker vs. Vergo and Smoker vs. Law I think both had strong fight choreography. Luffy vs Clone Mingo and Doflamingo also was well executed if too short. It was a little sad that the coloseum didn't offer us more of that, but then again that would have made an already long segment drag for far too long.

    Oh forgot to pick my favorite! My favorite fight probably goes back to Sanji vs Kuroobi. Seriously, when Sanji decides it's combo time, it's great, gives us a real look at his fighting style, where as Zoro sort of one offed Hachi, and Luffy's fight with Arlong wasn't really based around a full fight so much as powerful hits and unique moves.
    Crack Theory: Dellinger is actually a fighting fish that ate some variation of the hito hito no mi, whether that be a SMILE, or just an alternative model.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts